PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XDS .45 .. who owns them... who's tortured them..and what do you think?

SgtRock
03-16-14, 13:22
I recently bought a post recall (new manufacture ) XDS in .45..
Put less than 50 rounds through it and it's my EDC gun.
Very happy with the manageability and accuracy.
My question is has anyone had theirs for a long time and what are their thoughts?
Dependability.. etc..

Wake27
03-16-14, 15:08
You're asking opinions after you bought it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clay
03-16-14, 15:13
I've been very happy with mine. Runs 100% and is unbelievably accurate. I bought it to carry in deep concealment (Smartcarry) and because I already had a good stock of .45acp. I think they are a viable option, but I will say that they are not for the recoil sensitive.

bjxds
03-16-14, 18:13
Well, I got one shortly after they came out, so I really can't say that is a long time. 5000 rounds between a 9 and 45 (Range Ammo only - does not include about 500 rounds of various ammo that would considered for SD ), but as far as the gun(s) alone. No issues with reliability in that time frame. Many different brands of ammo and bullet weights and types.

I like it, but don't think your going to find a lot of love for them here.

Wake27
03-16-14, 19:43
I've been very happy with mine. Runs 100% and is unbelievably accurate. I bought it to carry in deep concealment (Smartcarry) and because I already had a good stock of .45acp. I think they are a viable option, but I will say that they are not for the recoil sensitive.

How many rounds?

I like it, but don't think your going to find a lot of love for them here.

Definitely not, though I can't recall seeing a whole lot of evidence as to why, which is why I'm wondering.

Clay
03-16-14, 20:21
I've got a little over 500 of assorted fmj and jhp through mine. They do require a short break in period and plenty of lubricant helps, too.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

RagweedZulu
03-16-14, 21:34
You won't find a lot of love for them only because Gun Snobs like to poo poo the idea of SA and polymer Croatian guns. That being said, I've had mine for almost a year and I end up carrying it EVERYWHERE. It's just too dang easy to tuck AIWB for a trip to the store etc. My XDs has been 100% reliable and is surprisingly accurate. Yes, there is decent recoil, but recoil doesn't make me cringe and cry so BIG DEAL.

I've most replaced my G27 with the XDs. I even take it running with me in the evenings. I've had it on me in -5 degree idaho temps and 112 degree central California temps. It doesn't care.

Wake27
03-16-14, 22:20
Ok 100% reliable doesn't mean jack shit. Please post round counts at the very least.

Wake27
03-16-14, 22:20
I've got a little over 500 of assorted fmj and jhp through mine. They do require a short break in period and plenty of lubricant helps, too.

Break-in meaning it has malfunctions initially?

Clay
03-16-14, 22:29
I had two malfunctions in the first hundred rounds where I believe I wasn't providing enough resistance, or where my thumb was riding the slide a bit. That, coupled with a tight gun was too much to overcome. No malfunctions since, even when fired one handed and from a #2 posistion.

Clay
03-16-14, 22:31
I don't have a presise round count because I really don't care. The gun runs.

williejc
03-30-14, 20:13
I owned a 45 xd and a couple different 9mms and could hit best with the 45. I liked it but later decided to go back to the Glock line because even I could swap out the easily obtainable Glock parts should I need to. About two presidential elections ago, I chose to simplify supply and repair problems within my s hit the fan last ditch weapons. I'm old school with my love for finely fitted firearms and have no affection(if that's the word)for Glocks. When things go bump in the night,though, I reach for a Glock and not one of my pretty handguns.

You have a good .45 and are better armed than most other folks.

davidjinks
03-30-14, 21:41
Do you think that less than 50 rounds will really tell you anything about the reliability of YOUR EDC gun?

Trying to get pertinent information on reliability, accuracy etc on a particular gun after you bought it is t really the best way to do it.

In regards to part of your question; there was a good thread about using the XD for duty/EDC and if memory serves me correctly, that particular gun (XD) wasn't recommended.

I recently bought a post recall (new manufacture ) XDS in .45..
Put less than 50 rounds through it and it's my EDC gun.
Very happy with the manageability and accuracy.
My question is has anyone had theirs for a long time and what are their thoughts?
Dependability.. etc..

decodeddiesel
03-30-14, 22:11
Every singe sample I have looked at has had very obvious machining errors and manufacturing defects. Canted sights, bad chatter marks, nasty part-line flashing on the frame moldings, etc. I got a real hoot when the LGS employee (who tried to shove one in my wife's face last time we were shopping for a new CCW piece) told me with a straight face that the fit and finish on the XDS was way better than any Glock or M&P :sarcastic:. I'd like to run one someday on the range, but at first blush, I'm not spending my money on one.

As far as why I personally don't care for the XD line of pistols, aside from bias given their origin from the world renowned manufacturing powerhouse of Croatia (sarcasm), I have had an early XD40 hard lock up with a live round in the chamber on the range. I'm glad it wasn't my gun, and I didn't have to deal with the shit storm of RMA'ing a pistol with a live round stuck inside of it. The owner ended up (I shit you not) driving the gun to SA in Illinois to have it fixed. This was in 2007, maybe things have changed.

LightningFast
03-30-14, 23:00
only because Gun Snobs like to poo poo the idea of SA and polymer Croatian guns.

Yes, only "snobs" don't like being ripped off.