PDA

View Full Version : Need help designing a private gun range.

rushca01
03-16-14, 14:00
I have 80 acres of land that is used as a family retreat, hunting, fishing etc.. I have designated an area to put in a private range. I have started to clear the area and I should be able to get about a 100 yard range. My plan is to put in a pistol range along with rifle range. Would appreciate any other pictures from other members showing their personal ranges. Just trying to get ideas on how to set it up.

ABNAK
03-16-14, 16:53
Funny you mention this---I had a guy out yesterday to size up my AO for the same thing! I live on 22 acres and could easily have a 300yd range (as the crow flies), but the actual lay of my land precludes this. It is on the side of a gently sloping hill and drops down and back up again on the back part, so there is no direct line of sight to 300yds. Soooo, 100yds it will be.

Gonna have the guy come in with a dozer and clear me a 100yd lane in the woods, maybe 15-20ft wide. Gonna have a dirt "pile" (berm/backstop) put up at 50yds on the left side and another at 100yds on the right side. Have the lane seeded and strawed so grass will grow. Plan on hanging some steel. For target stands I'm going to buy a bunch of "For Sale" signs at Lowe's as they will eventually get shot to shit and it's just as easy to pop in a new one as opposed to rebuilding a formal target stand (with the skinny metal legs they stick into the ground easily and aren't expensive).

I will also have him put in an 8'x8' (or thereabouts) concrete pad at the shooting point and put in 4 corner poles with an angled corrugated steel "roof". If I want to go prone or such I'll just do it on the grass in front of it.

I'm pretty jazzed about it. I shoot here whenever I feel like it, but this will be my first "formal" range! I'll post pics when it's done.

montanadave
03-16-14, 17:11
I can't link it from this device, but the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has a publication titled Outdoor Shooting Ranges: Best Practices which can be downloaded in a PDF file. Easy Google search and has some decent information and suggestions.

ETA: I don't recall where I read it, but someone suggested using old road grader blades supported with a couple of posts for hanging steel targets. You can generally get discarded blades from the county shop, they're tough as hell, and have holes in 'em for hanging chain.

GH41
03-16-14, 17:18
Before you guys spend a lot of money check with the local authorities. Down here there are counties that don't allow the discharge of firearm within 1,000 feet of a paved road. Nobody gives a rat's ass if hunters shoot a couple of rounds at daybreak or nightfall but target practice attracts attention. This is one ****ed up world we live in! GH

ABNAK
03-16-14, 17:20
Before you guys spend a lot of money check with the local authorities. Down here there are counties that don't allow the discharge of firearm within 1,000 feet of a paved road. Nobody gives a rat's ass if hunters shoot a couple of rounds at daybreak or nightfall but target practice attracts attention. This is one ****ed up world we live in! GH

Not an issue where I live. On a nice day you'll hear shots all over in the distance (sometimes I'm adding to the party!).

montanadave
03-16-14, 17:24
Not an issue where I live. On a nice day you'll hear shots all over in the distance (sometimes I'm adding to the party!).

Just them Yemenis over yonder throwin' another wedding reception, right? :laugh:

ABNAK
03-16-14, 17:49
Just them Yemenis over yonder throwin' another wedding reception, right? :laugh:

Hell, up in your neck of the woods can you even hear shots in the distance? I'm picturing the nearest neighbor as miles away! ;)

Hmac
03-16-14, 18:17
I can't link it from this device, but the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has a publication titled Outdoor Shooting Ranges: Best Practices which can be downloaded in a PDF file.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/destinations/shooting_ranges/outdoor_shooting_best_practices.pdf

p22shooter30
03-17-14, 12:31
I believe its like getting a pool, better to up your insurance coverage. esp if you are not living there and it becomes an attractive area to shoot to others nearby that might not be safe when you are not there. gotta love the USA.

GH41
03-17-14, 17:12
Do not ask how to build a range if you don't intend to build it as designed. This happened to a range near me... A neighbor 1/2 mile away complained about the noise and safety issues (he wasn't down range).. The range owner contacted the NRA and was able to take advantage of a service they provide for a reasonable price... The range owner would have had to spend 200k to implement the NRA's recommended improvements... They couldn't do it.... The complaining land owner ask the county magistrate to close the range....... The pro gun magistrate called the NRA for advise and discovered the the range owners had also ask for advice and didn't take it... Range closed! GH

montanadave
03-17-14, 17:51
I can't speak about other jurisdictions, but out here if you want to shoot on your land and are not endangering your neighbors, you have quite a bit of latitude. Once you're beyond city limits and, assuming there are no covenants or restrictions on your land, it's your business.

rushca01
03-17-14, 17:52
Do not ask how to build a range if you don't intend to build it as designed. This happened to a range near me... A neighbor 1/2 mile away complained about the noise and safety issues (he wasn't down range).. The range owner contacted the NRA and was able to take advantage of a service they provide for a reasonable price... The range owner would have had to spend 200k to implement the NRA's recommended improvements... They couldn't do it.... The complaining land owner ask the county magistrate to close the range....... The pro gun magistrate called the NRA for advise and discovered the the range owners had also ask for advice and didn't take it... Range closed! GH

This is a private range, not open to the public.

ABNAK
03-17-14, 19:36
I can't speak about other jurisdictions, but out here if you want to shoot on your land and are not endangering your neighbors, you have quite a bit of latitude. Once you're beyond city limits and, assuming there are no covenants or restrictions on your land, it's your business.

Same here. Plus, it's not like I'll be running carbine classes here or anything.