PDA

View Full Version : Delivery Food

Belmont31R
03-17-14, 03:59
Just started a new job delivering pizza on weekends to supplement our income. First time in the food business and any type of delivery job. Using my GI Bill and going to school full time so a weekend job like this is a good fit more me time wise.

Basically I've thought myself a good tipper when we go out and I generally tip 20% and have tipped quite a bit more when we stay a while and such. Pretty generous there.

I'll just say it. If you don't want to tip go pickup or make your own food. We make less than minimum wage because of commissions and tips. Your tip is basically paying us to drive your food to you instead of you doing it yourself.

Now we aren't going to mess with your food. I wouldn't do it and you may be a known problem case but we're too busy to **** with anything. Just want to get you out of the way to get back to the store to sign back in.

I may or may not go to someone first because they put an auto tip in that was generous and in that case I'll get their food there before someone with a poor auto tip or it says $0 on the tip line. 9/10 when it says $0 on the auto tip you'll stiff the driver. Auto tip is on the web order where the tip is already on the receipt. If you want to pay with a cc put tip cash put 'cash tip' in the delivery instructions.

If you live in apt complex put your building number and maybe come up with a code sentence to help the driver. I already did this before I started this job with jimmy johns. I simply put '1st bldg on right past mailboxes' in the instruction text box. A lot of apartments have really poor numbering and lighting. A building number helps immensely since it's often the best way to narrow where you are. I work nights so it might take me 5 minutes of driving around to find your apartment. Gate codes...if you have one put it in the instructions. We have a list of codes but not all of them or they can change. You can simply put 'gc#XXXX BLDG X' and it will save me 5 minutes in many cases.

If you order out often make your address easily identifiable from the street. Curb numbering or mailbox identifying people are great. Go stand in the middle of your street at night. If you have to look more than 1-3 seconds to see WTF street number you are it's time wasted on keeping your pizza hot.

If you are paying cash have it ready and say your bill is $29 and you have two twenties. Know your amount beforehand and say give me $5 back. Have cash ready before I get there. A lot of the time people have to go find their wallet or count out money. Sucks worse when they do that after taking 5 minutes to find their apt and you're standing at the door for another 5 minutes because they're searching for cash.

All said most experiences have been good. Get all kinds who open the door. Face full of pot smoke, fat guys with no shirt on, flirty girls who prob watch sex and the city all day, batshit crazy...but most are normal people. Time goes by quick. 6hrs and it goes by quick. Like I said I'm PT and weekends only.

Feel free to contribute. The money isn't bad. I've done shifts that averaged over $25/hr.

Pork Chop
03-17-14, 06:12
I'll just say it. If you don't want to tip go pickup or make your own food.

I'll just say it. You picked your job, not me. You're free to quit and/or choose something else.

I'm not really trying to bust your balls, Belmont, but I hear this complaint a lot from food service staff, like waitresses, pizza delivery, bus boys, etc. It's not the public's problem that you chose a shitty job in an industry that has a ****ed up wage system. Sorry.

I'm a fair and generous tipper, IF my server does a good job and is polite, attentive, etc BUT, it is NOT my obligation to supplement your shitty wage. A tip is a gratuity for a job well done, NOT A SUBSIDY.

Maybe I'm a prick, but I do not tip the pizza boy. A waitress/waiter attends me & my family for over an hour. They take the orders, fill drinks, serve/remove plates, etc. They've earned a gratuity for their hard work. The pizza boy expects a tip because they put a prepackaged order in their car and found my address? Lol

Do you tip the UPS guy? That's essentially his job, right? How about your mail man? No? Why? Because they chose better paying jobs, so you're not obligated to supplement their poor choices?

Sorry, dude. Not picking an argument, just offering another opinion.

orionz06
03-17-14, 06:36
Curious as to what a good tip is... My baseline is $5 for all orders and it'll go up a little on price and a lot on speed.

Let's say an order is $15 delivered, what's an average tip, good tip, and great tip?

Ryno12
03-17-14, 06:47
Pork Chop, you saved me some typing. Thanks.
I will add that I don't believe in the tipping system at all, for any profession. To an extent, we all provide a service. If we do a poor job, it's up to our employer to address the issue. If I suck, out the door I go. Don't like the service? Don't support the business.

Sent via Tapatalk

Airhasz
03-17-14, 07:20
The worst is when the tip is already added to the bill when you get it.

orionz06
03-17-14, 07:28
Pork Chop, you saved me some typing. Thanks.
I will add that I don't believe in the tipping system at all, for any profession. To an extent, we all provide a service. If we do a poor job, it's up to our employer to address the issue. If I suck, out the door I go. Don't like the service? Don't support the business.

Sent via Tapatalk

So you never tip at all when you go out to eat?

The_War_Wagon
03-17-14, 07:41
We were hardly what you'd call "rich" growing up, but one thing my dad always did, was tip well for good service. He said, "Son, don't make someone else suffer, just because YOU'RE a cheapskate." So I'm always above 20%, unless the service sucks.

orionz06
03-17-14, 07:55
We were hardly what you'd call "rich" growing up, but one thing my dad always did, was tip well for good service. He said, "Son, don't make someone else suffer, just because YOU'RE a cheapskate." So I'm always above 20%, unless the service sucks.

If the service sucks I'll still tip 15% or enough to seem reasonable. I'll then provide constructive criticism to the manager via email or phone call the next day. I generally get more than my 15% back and providing the constructive criticism has worked well as I've had some servers again who seemed to take note of what was said.

Sometimes the places don't know what right is.

Ryno12
03-17-14, 07:56
So you never tip at all when you go out to eat?

I didn't say that. I said I don't believe in the tipping system.

I tip appropriately at restaurants.

Sent via Tapatalk

orionz06
03-17-14, 08:02

Sent via Tapatalk

The system does suck, I agree there.

Pork Chop
03-17-14, 08:04

Sent via Tapatalk

Agree 100%

I tip appropriately. A decent server with a good attitude will get a tip. An outstanding server with an excellent attitude will get a generous tip and a compliment to management. A piss poor server with an attitude like I owe them some kind of wage subsidy just for ****ing showing up will get nothing from me and a complaint filed with management or preferably the owner. If you go into work thinking the patron you are serving owes you something, you are destined to suck at your job.

There is no shame in any line of work. Be proud you have a job and do it well and good things will happen. Whether that means tips or advancement, that's on you. No one owes you anything.

HD1911
03-17-14, 08:09
Agree 100%

I tip appropriately. A decent server with a good attitude will get a tip. An outstanding server with an excellent attitude will get a generous tip and a compliment to management. A piss poor server with an attitude like I owe them some kind of wage subsidy just for ****ing showing up will get nothing from me and a complaint filed with management or preferably the owner. If you go into work thinking the patron you are serving owes you something, you are destined to suck at your job.

There is no shame in any line of work. Be proud you have a job and do it well and good things will happen. Whether that means tips or advancement, that's on you. No one owes you anything.

I'd have to agree with your outlook on the matter.

nimdabew
03-17-14, 08:17
I'll just say it. You picked your job, not me. You're free to quit and/or choose something else.

I'm not really trying to bust your balls, Belmont, but I hear this complaint a lot from food service staff, like waitresses, pizza delivery, bus boys, etc. It's not the public's problem that you chose a shitty job in an industry that has a ****ed up wage system. Sorry.

I'm a fair and generous tipper, IF my server does a good job and is polite, attentive, etc BUT, it is NOT my obligation to supplement your shitty wage. A tip is a gratuity for a job well done, NOT A SUBSIDY.

Maybe I'm a prick, but I do not tip the pizza boy. A waitress/waiter attends me & my family for over an hour. They take the orders, fill drinks, serve/remove plates, etc. They've earned a gratuity for their hard work. The pizza boy expects a tip because they put a prepackaged order in their car and found my address? Lol

Do you tip the UPS guy? That's essentially his job, right? How about your mail man? No? Why? Because they chose better paying jobs, so you're not obligated to supplement their poor choices?

Sorry, dude. Not picking an argument, just offering another opinion.

Well, as a former delivery driver, it was our prerogative to know which houses got preferential treatment vs which did not. If you call at a bust time of night, and we have a 4 stack of deliveries, guess who gets put at the bottom? Before you get pissed off because of this, would you waste your time giving someone excellent service when good enough would do if your compensation would be the exact same either way with no negative repercussions? Good enough is bringing your pizza on time. Excellent service is bringing the parm and peppers, 2 liter in a bag, running up to the door and knocking, and asking if there is anything else you need before you close the door.

Caveat: this is only after words gets around of a shitty tipper and is not isolated to where you are. There are some deliveries that have such high consistent tips that gets better service as a result. The free market kicks ass.

nimdabew
03-17-14, 08:19
Curious as to what a good tip is... My baseline is $5 for all orders and it'll go up a little on price and a lot on speed.

Let's say an order is $15 delivered, what's an average tip, good tip, and great tip?

I have a sliding scale on deliveries. It starts at 20% and depending on how early or late the delivery is, how nice they seem at the door, and a combination of other things, the tip goes up or down. lowest tip I have ever given a delivery driver was $2 on a $20 order. The most I ever tipped was $8 on a $15 order. I lived on tips for too long and know how much a good tip can make a persons night.

Hmac
03-17-14, 08:29
I tip waitresses/waiters, barbers, and food delivery people. I add 20% if they do a good job and 15% if they do a crappy job. If the food delivery people do a consistently crappy job, I stop calling that restaurant or I go pick it up myself. If the restaurant automatically adds a tip, then that's the tip they get.

Pork Chop
03-17-14, 08:44
The free market kicks ass.

Indeed, it does. I am FREE to order pizza from a competitor if my pizza takes an excessive amount of time because I'm at the bottom of a "shitty tipper" list. You are also FREE to choose a job where you get paid a decent wage that doesn't depend on other's generosity and/or your work ethic or service standards.

I think minimum wage should be minimum wage. Period. If you work as a waiter/waitress/pizza boy, whatever, you should get the federal minimum PLUS whatever tips you EARN. Tips should neither be expected nor considered as part of your hourly wage by your employer. They should be voluntary gratitude for a job well done. I know that's not the reality of the current system, but that's how it should be, in my opinion. I purposely avoided those types if jobs when I was in that stage of my life because of it. Anyone job hunting is free to do the same, because the free market does indeed kick ass.

orionz06
03-17-14, 08:59
Well, as a former delivery driver, it was our prerogative to know which houses got preferential treatment vs which did not. If you call at a bust time of night, and we have a 4 stack of deliveries, guess who gets put at the bottom? Before you get pissed off because of this, would you waste your time giving someone excellent service when good enough would do if your compensation would be the exact same either way with no negative repercussions? Good enough is bringing your pizza on time. Excellent service is bringing the parm and peppers, 2 liter in a bag, running up to the door and knocking, and asking if there is anything else you need before you close the door.

Caveat: this is only after words gets around of a shitty tipper and is not isolated to where you are. There are some deliveries that have such high consistent tips that gets better service as a result. The free market kicks ass.

We must be on the good list. I've gotten pizzas in 15 minutes with online ordering, I live 5 minutes from the store on an average day.

Tipped $20 on a $12 pizza. I suspected that we got someone else's order or they were slow as hell. It was a large pepperoni pizza, common.

Best part about it was that our meal was still cheap, got it way early, and it looked like I made someone's day for only $20. Can't do it for everyone but I'll do what I can.

shaneinhisroom
03-17-14, 09:08
I tip as much as I can. I was a waiter once. It sucked the nut and I still had to put on my happy face for 8 hours running. I was in high school and that experience really brought me to my maturity. I would have turned out much more sour if I thought I had provided good service and not gotten rewarded for it.

That said, if I go out to eat and the service is horrible, then I tip accordingly. If it's the chef, then the waiter still gets a good tip. If the waiter is being an ass, then he gets little to no tip. It's all about attitude and rewarding that attitude.

nimdabew
03-17-14, 09:42
Indeed, it does. I am FREE to order pizza from a competitor if my pizza takes an excessive amount of time because I'm at the bottom of a "shitty tipper" list. You are also FREE to choose a job where you get paid a decent wage that doesn't depend on other's generosity and/or your work ethic or service standards.

I think minimum wage should be minimum wage. Period. If you work as a waiter/waitress/pizza boy, whatever, you should get the federal minimum PLUS whatever tips you EARN. Tips should neither be expected nor considered as part of your hourly wage by your employer. They should be voluntary gratitude for a job well done. I know that's not the reality of the current system, but that's how it should be, in my opinion. I purposely avoided those types if jobs when I was in that stage of my life because of it. Anyone job hunting is free to do the same, because the free market does indeed kick ass.

Yes. You can order a pizza from your competitor, but delivery drivers are like teachers and pilots and every other industry. Word travels and soon you become the pariah delivery and no one wants to bust their ass at the new place. You then move onto the next pizza place and so on, so forth.

You are right about people choosing where to work. I don't work as a delivery driver anymore because the wear and tear on my car, combined with the shitty work hours, unsteady income, and peoples bullshit made it a job not worth having anymore. But also realize that these people personally BRING you YOUR food. The food you were too lazy to get off the couch and get yourself. There is a premium for that service. If you don't like it, you can always pick it up. It will be hotter when you get it, the service will be faster, and the odds of the cheese sliding off your pie is much less when you get it.

Now, that being said, I earned my tips and those people that never tipped regardless of the level of service got exactly the service they received. Treat me like shit, you get shit service. I couldn't give a **** if you didn't order from my joint anymore because to me, you are taking up one valuable slot where I could have earned a tip instead of hauling carbs and fat to your door step where the chance of getting a tip is less than a snowballs chance in hell.

FWIW, I am not trying to single you out, I am speaking to the general mindset of people that don't tip. No tip? No hot pizza unless you are the ONLY delivery.

Pork Chop
03-17-14, 09:57
Yes. You can order a pizza from your competitor, but delivery drivers are like teachers and pilots and every other industry. Word travels and soon you become the pariah delivery and no one wants to bust their ass at the new place. You then move onto the next pizza place and so on, so forth.

You are right about people choosing where to work. I don't work as a delivery driver anymore because the wear and tear on my car, combined with the shitty work hours, unsteady income, and peoples bullshit made it a job not worth having anymore. But also realize that these people personally BRING you YOUR food. The food you were too lazy to get off the couch and get yourself. There is a premium for that service. If you don't like it, you can always pick it up. It will be hotter when you get it, the service will be faster, and the odds of the cheese sliding off your pie is much less when you get it.

Now, that being said, I earned my tips and those people that never tipped regardless of the level of service got exactly the service they received. Treat me like shit, you get shit service. I couldn't give a **** if you didn't order from my joint anymore because to me, you are taking up one valuable slot where I could have earned a tip instead of hauling carbs and fat to your door step where the chance of getting a tip is less than a snowballs chance in hell.

FWIW, I am not trying to single you out, I am speaking to the general mindset of people that don't tip. No tip? No hot pizza unless you are the ONLY delivery.

I'm not offended and not singling you out, either, but pizza delivery boys are not independent contractors. You seem to feel like you are doing my lazy, fat ass some special favor by bringing my fat & carbs to me. You are not some special stork bringing me my bundle of fatty joy by the grace of God and out of the good grace of your generosity. You work for an establishment that provides that service to the customer. You took the job at that place of business. You're not some entrepreneur, you're hired help. Your job is to bring fat, lazy people their pizza. Those people paid an up charge to the company for this service. If you bring me my pizza late, cold or with the cheese slid off, that's not the product of my reluctance to tip, that's you sucking at your job out of spite because of your position in life.
That kind of attitude will follow you through life and rarely gets you anywhere.

Again, not meaning you in particular.

Ryno12
03-17-14, 09:59
I would have turned out much more sour if I thought I had provided good service and not gotten rewarded for it.
It's all about attitude and rewarding that attitude.
Whoa!! Providing a good service should come from within one's self. I don't get tips for "doing a good job" at work. The pay is the same whether I do a shit job or a good job. It's a matter P-R-I-D-E. I CHOOSE to do the best I can because that's the type of person I am. I don't need a pat on the back or a tip to influence me to do a better job.

..But also realize that these people personally BRING you YOUR food. The food you were too lazy to get off the couch and get yourself. There is a premium for that service.

That's actually funny. Like that's a separate service? I pay Dominos for a pizza, they offer to deliver it. Done.
Good thing firemen & EMS don't have that attitude...

Sent via Tapatalk

Pork Chop
03-17-14, 10:03
Whoa!! Providing a good service should come from within one's self. I don't get tips for "doing a good job" at work. The pay is the same whether I do a shit job or a good job. It's a matter P-R-I-D-E. I CHOOSE to do the best I can because that's the type of person I am. I don't need a pat on the back or a tip to influence me to do a better job.

That's actually funny. Like that's a separate service? I pay Dominos for a pizza, they offer to deliver it. Done.

Sent via Tapatalk

****ing Amen!

"Oh, I'll put out your house fire, but only if you're the only fire in town, because, you know, you owe me because of the job I took."

Un****ing believable.

nimdabew
03-17-14, 10:09
I'm not offended and not singling you out, either, but pizza delivery boys are not independent contractors. You seem to feel like you are doing my lazy, fat ass some special favor by bringing my fat & carbs to me. You are not some special stork bringing me my bundle of fatty joy by the grace of God and out of the good grace of your generosity. You work for an establishment that provides that service to the customer. You took the job at that place of business. You're not some entrepreneur, you're hired help. Your job is to bring fat, lazy people their pizza. Those people paid an up charge to the company for this service. If you bring me my pizza late, cold or with the cheese slid off, that's not the product of my reluctance to tip, that's you sucking at your job out of spite because of your position in life.
That kind of attitude will follow you through life and rarely gets you anywhere.

Again, not meaning you in particular.

I believe you have what I am saying wrong. There is something that comes with the job, as shitty of a job as it is, and it is called discretion. If two houses are right next to each other and they both order pizza at the same time, with one known as not tipping and one that tips well, who gets their pizza first? I am not advocating not doing ones job. I am simply stating that if you don't tip, you don't get the same level of service as other people who do tip.

Koshinn
03-17-14, 10:10

Which pizza company do/did you work for? So I know which company allows that type of environment. The free market kicks ass.

On topic, I have a lot of family in the food service industry, but I find myself in more of a European mindset regarding tipping, like many here.

A tip is a tip, not a tax. If I get good service, I'll tip 20%+. If I get lackluster service, I'll tip 5-10% if I intend to visit again. If I get terrible service, I'll speak to the manage and not tip at all.

On one hand, tip is a bonus for going above and beyond. In the case of delivery food, delivering the food on time, without error, and bringing the proper condiments that is expected of you is not exceptional service, it's the job you're paid for. And guess what, most companies attach a "delivery fee" to delivery orders too. You are not entitled to a tip by simply being average at your job. You're never entitled to a tip, but in my case at least, you'll get one.

On the other hand, the idea that a restaurant can pay you less than minimum wage because of tips... I have mixed feelings on that. On one hand, minimum wage should be the minimum because tips are not mandatory. On the other hand, I don't always like the concept of a minimum wage. If raising the minimum wage is bad, is lowering or removing the minimum wage good? But in either case, although the minimum wage can be lowered for restaurant service employees, the difference between their lower-than-minimum-wage and actual minimum wage must be met by tips every paycheck or else the employer must make up the difference out of pocket. So is it really lower than minimum wage?

By the way, regarding mandatory gratuity/tips, especially for large parties dining in, it's state-dependent on whether or not those are actually mandatory or not. If it was agreed to, it's a verbal contract and then it usually is mandatory. But again, some states have decided that as they're gratuity/tip rather than a straight up additional charge, by their nature they're voluntary.

nimdabew
03-17-14, 10:11

Sent via Tapatalk

Did I say that the pizza doesn't get delivered? Lets put it this way: a fireman gets two calls at the exact same time. One for an abandoned warehouse reporting a trash can fire, and a 3 story apartment building that is occupied... Hmm...

Ryno12
03-17-14, 10:16
Did I say that the pizza doesn't get delivered? Lets put it this way: a fireman gets two calls at the exact same time. One for an abandoned warehouse reporting a trash can fire, and a 3 story apartment building that is occupied... Hmm...

I don't see the correlation. Are you comparing a non/bad tipper to an abandoned warehouse with a trash can fire? That doesn't make sense.

Sent via Tapatalk

Irish
03-17-14, 10:18
My problem is the company charging an additional "delivery fee". I always thought that money went to the driver, until recently, and that cut into the amount I was tipping them.

SpeedRacer
03-17-14, 10:18
I think the whole system of underpaying employees and making the customer tip them to compensate is jacked up. That said, it is what it is and I'm not gonna take it out on the guy or girl just trying to make a living or bring in some money while in school. I always tip.

And yes, they certainly did choose the job and they do have the freedom to find another profession if they don't like non-tippers. But if they all did that, who would bring my lazy ass my pizza? :(

dentron
03-17-14, 10:22

Like it or not, this is the nature of the food delivery industry.
And to whoever said they don't tip the pizza guy AT ALL, I hope for your sake that your job is recession proof and you never have to take a job in the food service industry. Im NOT saying to tip well regardless of service, but I believe a tip is warranted for delivery. They may make more than a typical waiter, but the restaurant doesn't cover their gas or maintenance of their vehicle. Sure its THEIR CHOICE, but sometimes its a choice between this job to provide for their family or not being able to provide at all. Or would you rather them go on welfare and you pay them anyway and not have your carbs delivered to you....

nimdabew
03-17-14, 10:24
I don't see the correlation. Are you comparing a non/bad tipper to an abandoned warehouse with a trash can fire? That doesn't make sense.

Sent via Tapatalk

No I am comparing a person who prioritizes things in their life. A person can only do one thing at a time and everyone puts the highest priority things at the top of a list while the lowest priority items at the bottom of a list. If anyone says they treat everyone exactly the same, regardless of the situation, I will call you out and say you are a liar. When every order comes through as a piece of paper and a bag, priorities are made based on risk vs reward, and the only constant variable in all of this is the tip amount. The order is already set and made, the address doesn't change, traffic sucks no matter what, and the order ins't going to get any shorter just because you are having a bad day. So, what makes certain orders float to the top of the list vs who doesn't? Part of it is delivery distance, route, and traffic, but most of it is weather they are known as a good tipper or not.

A very well known dealer on these boards mocks and ridicules customers who want to spend their money at their store, but this community dog piles and laughs along to get their lulz. I won't drag a companys name through the mud, Koshinn, for your entertainment.

Hmac
03-17-14, 10:26
I believe you have what I am saying wrong. There is something that comes with the job, as shitty of a job as it is, and it is called discretion. If two houses are right next to each other and they both order pizza at the same time, with one known as not tipping and one that tips well, who gets their pizza first? I am not advocating not doing ones job. I am simply stating that if you don't tip, you don't get the same level of service as other people who do tip.

I'm with Pork Chop. That's you doing a shitty job at your place of employment.

nimdabew
03-17-14, 10:27
My problem is the company charging an additional "delivery fee". I always thought that money went to the driver, until recently, and that cut into the amount I was tipping them.

No shit. One of the companies I worked for charged $1.75 for each delivery. What was that for? Their insurance and liability for having a delivery driver. How much did the driver get? $.50 a delivery. After tips, delivery fees, and wage, I was making about $12 per hour on average. $15 if I was lucky, and that was supposed to cover the $200 per week I spent on gas and the 500 miles per week I drove on my car.

nimdabew
03-17-14, 10:28
I'm with Pork Chop. That's you doing a shitty job at your place of employment.

Ok. Let me ask you this: who would you deliver the pizza to first?

Abraham
03-17-14, 10:30
Got Sanctimony?

Don't like the people you deliver to / tip amount / the treatment by those you deliver to / in fact, actually hate the job?

Cure: Get a real job.

Hmac
03-17-14, 10:37
First in line, closest, some rational objective basis rather than the butt-hurt I feel from the last time I delivered a pizza there. When you start basing the quality of your work on how you were tipped by the customer, it's a real short step to spitting in the pizza (or worse) of the customers you don't like.

Pork Chop
03-17-14, 10:39
Like it or not, this is the nature of the food delivery industry.
And to whoever said they don't tip the pizza guy AT ALL, I hope for your sake that your job is recession proof and you never have to take a job in the food service industry. Im NOT saying to tip well regardless of service, but I believe a tip is warranted for delivery. They may make more than a typical waiter, but the restaurant doesn't cover their gas or maintenance of their vehicle. Sure its THEIR CHOICE, but sometimes its a choice between this job to provide for their family or not being able to provide at all. Or would you rather them go on welfare and you pay them anyway and not have your carbs delivered to you....

I was one who said I don't tip pizza delivery people. If I'm paying cash, I let them keep the change. If that's $1 or $3.67 or whatever, but if I pay with card or check, then I don't. My fat ass also only orders pizza two or three times/year, so I doubt I get put on the pizza hit list, but whatever.

Like Ryno12 said, I want pizza, Dominoes offers to deliver it for a nominal fee. Done. I owe nothing further for the delivery person doing their job. Period.

I go to work everyday and do my job to the best of my ability. Most days I don't even like it, but I don't do a shittier job because people don't tip me or tell me I'm special. I suck it the **** up, because only I can change it and I filled out the application that got me here. Nobody owes me anything.

That's the thing I get from all this. My job sucks because YOU'RE not generous enough. Most of you saying this would make great govt employees.

Pork Chop
03-17-14, 10:46
First in line, closest, some rational objective basis rather than the butt-hurt I feel from the last time I delivered a pizza there. When you start basing the quality of your work on how you were tipped by the customer, it's a real short step to spitting in the pizza (or worse) of the customers you don't like.

Exactly.

Ryno12
03-17-14, 10:47
No I am comparing a person who prioritizes things in their life. A person can only do one thing at a time and everyone puts the highest priority things at the top of a list while the lowest priority items at the bottom of a list.

Ok, I get what you're saying now. Honestly, if you have two orders that go out at the same time. The route should be the deciding factor on who gets their pizza first, not the tip factor. It should be a matter of time & mileage efficiency. Would you drive right past a known bad tipper's house to deliver a pizza across town first?

I don't like the whole ideology of tipping, be it food service or any other services. Some tight ass, somewhere decided to screw over their own employees & make the customers pay the wages. Nah ah. Pay your employee a fair wage & discipline them if they're not doing an acceptable job.

Sent via Tapatalk

thopkins22
03-17-14, 10:51
I've never waited tables or delivered pizza. BUT these jobs cease to exist the moment you stop tipping, and what remaining full service restaurants there are become so expensive as to be out of the reach of the normal person. The whole reason waiter/waitress salaries are exempt from government regulating their salaries at the minimum wage is that restaurants can't afford to charge what they charge, and still hire everyone at a full salary.

It doesn't matter whether or not you like the system. It IS the system. At a restaurant you didn't order a waiter, they just sort of showed up and implied they'd go get your food and drinks for no added cost right? Why tip them? I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous line of logic...which somehow is more justifiable if we make it a difference of ideology instead of etiquette or class.

nimdabew
03-17-14, 10:52

Return on your investment, in this case time and opportunity cost, are objective criteria for prioritization if all thigs are equal. I am not advocating going out of your way to make a shitty tippers day slower or worse, just that they will be lower on the priority list because of their lack of tip. Drivers only reason to deliver is to get the tips, for better or worse. To be honest, I hated that my entire living was based on tips and that is why I took the first steady rate job that got me out of a tip job.

On the flip side of that, don't feel entitled to a hot piping pizza during the middle of rush if you don't tip your driver on a regular basis because you are right, they make shit for a pay check and their entire motivation is to get tips which in turn mean they can afford whatever they want to buy. Sometimes that is diapers for their child, sometimes that is a TV for their apartment. If you want the most excellent of service, all of the time, expect to pay for it. Isn't the saying, quick, cheap, quality, pick two?

HD1911
03-17-14, 10:54
You guys need to check your self righteousness at the door, and not pigpile on Nimdabew.... He stated his opinion and outlook from his perspective.... I can guarantee you, if I did everything "Right" and didn't get a tip because some cheap bastard didn't wanna give one, I'd damn sure not bust my ass or go out of the way to give them priority, over other known Tipping Customers. Would I spit in their food or purposely **** with it in any way? Not a chance.

It takes two to Tango... the Delivery Driver or Waiter needs to do their job correctly and promptly, with respect if at all possible... and patrons should tip, provided said worker does their job correctly. It's really that simple.

nimdabew
03-17-14, 10:56
Ok, I get what you're saying now. Honestly, if you have two orders that go out at the same time. The route should be the deciding factor on who gets their pizza first, not the tip factor. It should be a matter of time & mileage efficiency. Would you drive right past a known bad tipper's house to deliver a pizza across town first?

There are multiple reason why I would drive past a bad tippers house for one farther away. Usually, it was because of delivery order as stated earlier, but it was maint because of route. I planned my routes, but all things being equal, better tippers were delivered first because my motivation was to keep them happy and keep them tipping better. Non-tippers still got their pizza on time, but they waited extra time because my motivation wasn't there.

Koshinn
03-17-14, 10:57
I won't drag a companys name through the mud, Koshinn, for your entertainment.

Not for my entertainment, but to help me better utilize my money in a free market. I'm actually assuming that it's every pizza delivery company and always have, but concrete examples are nice. I know that a local pizza place in Hawaii maintains a list of people who don't tip at all.

No shit. One of the companies I worked for charged $1.75 for each delivery. What was that for? Their insurance and liability for having a delivery driver. How much did the driver get? $.50 a delivery. After tips, delivery fees, and wage, I was making about $12 per hour on average. $15 if I was lucky, and that was supposed to cover the $200 per week I spent on gas and the 500 miles per week I drove on my car.
That is crap. Silver lining is to keep all your receipts and shit; it's tax deductible.

The moral thing to do is to deliver first to the person waiting the longest. Alternatively, delivering in order of the shortest path when there are multiple deliveries is also justifiable. Delivering out of order because of tip is not very moral, it's actually very selfish.

montanadave
03-17-14, 11:06
The relationship between tipping and quality service is pretty straightforward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning

Folks may not like it but them's the facts, jack.

Ryno12
03-17-14, 11:06
There are multiple reason why I would drive past a bad tippers house for one farther away. Usually, it was because of delivery order as stated earlier, but it was maint because of route. I planned my routes, but all things being equal, better tippers were delivered first because my motivation was to keep them happy and keep them tipping better. Non-tippers still got their pizza on time, but they waited extra time because my motivation wasn't there.

If in fact you are paying your own fuel & maintenance on your personal delivery vehicle, that's the dumbest thing you can do. You're cutting of your nose to spite your face. Any way you look at it, it's foolish.
The onus should never be put on the paying customer to ensure they receive a quality service. Plain and simple.

Sent via Tapatalk

nimdabew
03-17-14, 11:07
Not for my entertainment, but to help me better utilize my money in a free market. I'm actually assuming that it's every pizza delivery company and always have, but concrete examples are nice. I know that a local pizza place in Hawaii maintains a list of people who don't tip at all.
You are free not to order from them. I don't see the big deal.

That is crap. Silver lining is to keep all your receipts and shit; it's tax deductible.
That is funny. When you make $12/hr, and you are lucky to get 30 hours per week because a company needs 1 driver during the day, but 7 between 4p and 9p and then cuts everyone except for two, you don't make enough to get above the standard deduction. This isn't meant to be a pity party, but deductions and tracking mileage are so far down on the priority list that it doesn't make sense.

The moral thing to do is to deliver first to the person waiting the longest. Alternatively, delivering in order of the shortest path when there are multiple deliveries is also justifiable. Delivering out of order because of tip is not very moral, it's actually very selfish.

Morality has no place in a free market. The free market says the person who will pay the most for a given good or service will get the best good or service. You aren't paying for my company, you are paying for me to hand deliver your food to you. It is entirely up to me how fast you get your food.

My only motivation for getting you your food faster is because I can get back to the store faster and get the triple that might land me $10 is tips instead of twiddling my thumbs in my car while I stare at your pizzas becoming ambient temperature. If I HAVE to take your pizza, and you are one mile away from someone that I knows tips, I am going to give them priority because of my greater return on investment, which in this case is priority and also time delivering one pizza.

Now, all of everything I have said: if I forget your coke, I refuse tips. If I **** up, I don't expect anything except the extra expense at my **** up. Some drivers still get pissed when you don't tip after they screw everything up, but I never did.

Pork Chop
03-17-14, 11:12

It's also the intelligent thing to do. If you're using the "poor me I have to buy gas to bring you your fat & carbs" argument, then delivering STRICTLY by order of least miles driven makes the most sense.
Driving out of route over butthurt only hurts you.

For the record, I'm not against tipping. Not at all. I'm against the mentality that I owe it to you because you showed up to work. A tip is an act of grace and recognition for a job well done. Nothing more.

When I order a pizza, the store tells me an approx delivery time, usually 30-45 mins. If it shows up in that window, did you, as the delivery boy, do something so super special that I should be in your debt? I already paid $1.75 for delivery and was given a time by the restaurant, so what did you do, exactly, that merits a tip? Seriously?
A waitress works at my beckon call for an hour to earn it. You dropped off my grease & fat on your way to another fatty's house. Seriously, what did you do? The restaurant says, "Mr. Pork Chop, can we deliver that to you for $1.75 more?" and I say, "um, sure. Sounds good"

nimdabew
03-17-14, 11:14
If in fact you are paying your own fuel & maintenance on your personal delivery vehicle, that's the dumbest thing you can do. You're cutting of your nose to spite your face. Any way you look at it, it's foolish.
The onus should never be put on the paying customer to ensure they receive a quality service. Plain and simple.

Sent via Tapatalk
I don't understand what you are saying. Being efficient has everything to do with what I am talking about. When I say drive past a house, that is usually because every delivery area has about 3-6 main arterials and then those branch off into god knows where.

Deliveries are dispatched as clumps or groups. Usually a double will have two houses within a mile of each other so the time to get to either is about the same regardless. The house that has priority is sometimes the first, sometimes the one that is four blocks further down. The house that tips is the one that gets priority. I planed stuff out so on returning to the store, I would be passing by their house anyways. So "driving by their house" is just delaying their delivery, not increasing costs.

Ryno12
03-17-14, 11:15
You aren't paying for my company, you are paying for me to hand deliver your food to you. It is entirely up to me how fast you get your food.

...and there in lies the problem.

Sent via Tapatalk

Ryno12
03-17-14, 11:18
So "driving by their house" is just delaying their delivery, not increasing costs.

If I was your boss, I'd fire you on that comment alone.

Sent via Tapatalk

nimdabew
03-17-14, 11:23

Sent via Tapatalk

You would be short all of your drivers then. What do you do for a living?

3 AE
03-17-14, 11:25
Sometimes I get off my lazy ass and pick it up. Most of the time I send my wife! Problem solved. Hmmm, I never tip her, maybe that's why I get "The Look"! :laugh:

orionz06
03-17-14, 11:27
Don't tip the drivers because they have a shitty job?

Koshinn
03-17-14, 11:29

Sent via Tapatalk

I can see what nimdabew is saying.

Assume person A and person B ordered roughly the same order at just about the same time, so the difference in waiting is negligible (within a minute). Person A and B live essentially in the corners of an equilateral triangle, with the pizza place making up the third corner. Since whoever you visit first would have the same delivery time and whoever you deliver second would have the same delivery time, it's completely arbitrary on who gets their order first, so I can see delivering to the person who tips the best.

But if they lived in a straight line... P <1 mile> A <1 mile> B, delivering to B first is just wrong. If you deliver to A first, assuming driving at an average of 30 mph, A gets it in 2 minutes, B gets it in 4 minutes + time spent at A's door. If you deliver to B first, B gets it in 4 minutes, A gets it in 6 minutes + time spent at B's door.

Sometimes I get off my lazy ass and pick it up. Most of the time I send my wife! Problem solved. Hmmm, I never tip her, maybe that's why I get "The Look"! :laugh:
I have to admit, sometimes I go through the self-checkout lane at the commissary so I don't have to tip the baggers.

brickboy240
03-17-14, 11:34
We do not eat take out food very often but when we do order Chinese or pizza...we tend to tip the driver around 20-25% as a rule.

Since the places we order from are maybe 1-3 miles from the house and our orders are usually small and simple...I think that is fair.

-brickboy240

nimdabew

Assume person A and person B ordered roughly the same order at just about the same time, so the difference in waiting is negligible (within a minute). Person A and B live essentially in the corners of an equilateral triangle, with the pizza place making up the third corner. Since whoever you visit first would have the same delivery time and whoever you deliver second would have the same delivery time, it's completely arbitrary on who gets their order first, so I can see delivering to the person who tips the best.

But if they lived in a straight line... P <1 mile> A <1 mile> B, delivering to B first is just wrong. If you deliver to A first, assuming driving at an average of 30 mph, A gets it in 2 minutes, B gets it in 4 minutes + time spent at A's door. If you deliver to B first, B gets it in 4 minutes, A gets it in 6 minutes + time spent at B's door.

Exactly. There is always a winner and a loser when it comes to crap like this. During the rush, order #120 and order #126 could have a total time differential of 45 seconds with all the CSR's busting chops. If there is no difference between the distances, why would I choose to make, and reward, the non-tipping order over the tipping order? If one will get their pizza later regardless, there is a specific preference. So again, good, fast, cheap, pick two. Your tip is the ONLY variable in the equation from the service that I am providing, which is the delivery action itself.

ETA: I missed your explanation on the delivery times at the houses. You are exactly right too. While the total time of delivery is the same, the time to last delivery is less if you drive past everyone and then go to the furthest house and work your way back.

weggy
Geez, some of you guys are tough. You'll over pay for ammo, but won't tip the poor schmoe that just brought your lazy butt a meal. :fie:

HD1911
03-17-14, 11:38
Geez, some of you guys are tough. You'll over pay for ammo, but won't tip the poor schmoe that just brought your lazy butt a meal. :fie:

No doubt...

Ryno12
03-17-14, 11:39
You would be short all of your drivers then. What do you do for a living?
What I said came across a bit harsh. For that, I apologize.
My occupation is in my profile. I do provide a service to internal customers.

I have to admit, sometimes I go through the self-checkout lane at the commissary so I don't have to tip the baggers.
That's what I'm saying. As business owner, that would be unacceptable to pass by a house with my product on board, getting cold unnecessarily, just to spite the bad tipper. JMO, if I owned a pizza joint.
I totally get it if they're in opposite directions, someone has to be first. The bad tipper would never know anyways.

Sent via Tapatalk

Ryno12
03-17-14, 11:41
For the record, I never said that I don't tip. I do, I just think it's a dumb system.

...and I don't overpay for ammo either. :)

Sent via Tapatalk

orionz06
03-17-14, 11:43
I wonder what the cost increase of a pizza would be if the server/delivery driver was paid normally?

3 AE
03-17-14, 11:44
Belmont31R, Good on ya to provide more for your family. Not many would give up part of their weekend to supplement their income. Continued success and be safe out there. It is a crazy world at times.

Koshinn
03-17-14, 11:45
Exactly. There is always a winner and a loser when it comes to crap like this. During the rush, order #120 and order #126 could have a total time differential of 45 seconds with all the CSR's busting chops. If there is no difference between the distances, why would I choose to make, and reward, the non-tipping order over the tipping order? If one will get their pizza later regardless, there is a specific preference. So again, good, fast, cheap, pick two. Your tip is the ONLY variable in the equation from the service that I am providing, which is the delivery action itself.

ETA: I missed your explanation on the delivery times at the houses. You are exactly right too. While the total time of delivery is the same, the time to last delivery is less if you drive past everyone and then go to the furthest house and work your way back.

I spent a lot of time thinking about paths 6-10 yrs ago. Paths are a np problem in computing, meaning that they're extremely inefficient and computers generally have to go through every solution possible to find the best solution, even though they still do it faster via brute force than humans can do it intuitively. One of the big questions in comp sci is how to get computers to solve np problems efficiently.

nimdabew
03-17-14, 11:47
I wonder what the cost increase of a pizza would be if the server/delivery driver was paid normally?

It would probably be considerably higher since everyone is making minimum wage except for the manager. When I worked for <insert huge pizza place>, the managers made $9.25/hr with "upward movement" at a quarter every year. The cooks made min wage, the cutters made min wage, the preppers made min wage, and the drivers made min wage. It was a shitty ass job and the clientele reflected that same mindset. Fast forward a bit further and when i worked at a better pizza joint, the place was cleaner, the tips were better, and the pizza costed much more. The large supreme was $27 a pie because the wages were much higher, the dough didn't come out of a box in the freezer, and the employees were treated better. Want to know what happened? There were no skip overs at that place for various reasons, but the main one was tips because the people could afford to tip the drivers.

Abraham
03-17-14, 11:47
After reading the attitudes of food delivery drivers, I am completely disinclined to have them work for me in the future.

It's a reversal of my regard for them.

I've always been on the side of the delivery drivers in general, going out of my way to be courteous along with being a very good tipper, but the attitude displayed here has completely undermined my attitude toward them.

No more pizza deliveries to my home.

You don't deserve my business.

montanadave
03-17-14, 11:48
Thank god for Papa Murphy's. I can't handle all the drama.

nimdabew
03-17-14, 11:55
I spent a lot of time thinking about paths 6-10 yrs ago. Paths are a np problem in computing, meaning that they're extremely inefficient and computers generally have to go through every solution possible to find the best solution, even though they still do it faster via brute force than humans can do it intuitively. One of the big questions in comp sci is how to get computers to solve np problems efficiently.

Good drivers pick up on the paths and natural flows within an area really fast and those drivers are the ones that take the most deliveries, get the most tips, and consequently, offer the best services.

BTW, I am sorry if you felt I was hostile towards you. The view on tips, and how much it affects your day to day living, changes after you do it for long enough. Right or wrong, tips are a necessity when dealing with a tip job because the job wage doesn't pay enough if you only rely on that. After the wear and tear on a car, the devaluation, one time and continuing expenses, time spent, and everything, without tips a delivery driver would be making about jack shit.

thopkins22
03-17-14, 12:02
After reading the attitudes of food delivery drivers, I am completely disinclined to have them work for me in the future.

I've always been on the side of the delivery drivers in general, going out of my way to be courteous along with being a very good tipper, but the attitude displayed here has completely undermined my attitude toward them.

Don't eat in any restaurants any time soon either. Make sure you don't go to the grocery store either. Better not buy anything from the gas station either. And you damn sure better not order anything on Amazon and have it delivered.

Whether or not you understand the complaints, it's none of your business if they aren't being fielded to you by your delivery guy. More to the point, this is a far stronger sense of entitlement than is displayed by any of the folks here who delivered food. They are simply showing you the free market at work...it's an eternal debate between is my time and effort worth this money...or is it better spent working my butt off to get it to the guy down the street. Don't like it? Man up and pay for the service. But you don't like that they have feelings about their interaction with you too so you're picking up your toys and going home?

The fact is that there has never been a time where food service was any different. The idea that there was is communist propaganda to make us believe we're all unhappy because of the way large corporations treat us...and that we should return to the "old" way where we were just happy to have a job regardless of the wage it payed.

shaneinhisroom
03-17-14, 12:04

Sent via Tapatalk

Tell that to high school me :). Seriously, my waitering is what built my character. Teenagers are like pets...you reward good behavior, it gets engrained. Maybe as you grow up that is what is instilled in you that you do the best you can. But as a kid, influence matters. a lot.

nimdabew
03-17-14, 12:04
Thank god for Papa Murphy's. I can't handle all the drama.

This is what I do when I want pizza. Or the frozen pizza section in Safeway. If people knew how their pizzas were made by the "big names", they would vomit in their mouths each time they took a bite.

nimdabew
03-17-14, 12:07
Tell that to high school me :). Seriously, my waitering is what built my character. Teenagers are like pets...you reward good behavior, it gets engrained. Maybe as you grow up that is what is instilled in you that you do the best you can. But as a kid, influence matters. a lot.

I agree. When i busted ass, I got better tips. When I slouched, I didn't get many tips at all. There was a reason I was the BEST delivery driver at one of the stores I was at, routinely pulling 30 deliveries a night when other drivers, who had been there much longer and "knew" the area better, were only pulling 10-18. I also got $100 in tips and gas compensation to show for it. I wanted money more than I wanted snubbing the non-tipper and my hustle and average deliveries per night showed it.

Abraham
03-17-14, 12:21
thopkins22

"They are simply showing you the free market at work..."

And I'm doing the same...annoy me and I do business elsewhere, free market etc.

Very simple.

HD1911
03-17-14, 12:27

Please, get off yer High Horse....

High Tower
03-17-14, 12:42
OK, I have to ask this of delivery drivers - on average, are potheads good tippers or bad tippers? I can see it going either way but curious minds want to know.

nimdabew
03-17-14, 12:51
Some potheads are good tippers usually because you are bringing them something they really want. But on average, they are just like the rest.

When you are talking about tips, clientele base is much more important than the individuals within the clientele base itself. Average tips for a good night for a crappy pizza joint could be between $20-40 in a low income or impoverished neighborhood with 20 total deliveries. If you work at a high end pizza place like I did once, the cost of the pizza goes up, the poor can't afford those pizzas, and the richer clientele base is more likely to give a 10-15% tip based off of the price of the ticket. It wasn't uncommon for me to work a close for 6 hours, get $75 in tips, and another $35-40 from gas compensation off of 35 deliveries. To put it into perspective, nights like those, I was in the store for about 20 minutes and driving the rest of the time with no breaks. My smoke breaks were in between houses while on the road. The pot heads at that place tipped generally better than the ones that tipped at the lower end/cost pizza place.

RIDE
03-17-14, 13:00
I'm a fair and generous tipper.....
No.. no you are NOT... See below for help.

Maybe I'm a prick, but I do not tip the pizza boy.....
If that's true.. yes sir, you ARE a prick. A cheap one at that. I 100% agree with you on your self labeling..

Belmont31R
03-17-14, 13:08
I don't consider it a shitty job. I make $16-24/hr usually and that makes the job worth it. Last night I averaged $17.60/hr and it was slow for a while. I only work weekends which is the busy time.

A tip is not a requirement. All I am saying is if I see $0 on the receipt 9 times out of 10 it means I'm going to get stiffed, and if I can I'll take the pizza last because someone else is paying extra for me to get their pizza to them better than you did. I'll still get you an unmolested, and at least a warm pizza. And I'll tell you to have a nice night. Many times, due to the route, you'll still get it first, unfortunately.

What's a good tip on a delivery? $3-4 on one pizza is fine. Multiple pizzas for a family $5 is great. Parties where I need multiple bags or a huge party bag $10 and up. I delivered 10 pizzas for a kids birthday party once and got a $20 tip. Delivered 5 to a skating rink for a party and got $10. Those help me make up for a non-tippers.

High Tower
03-17-14, 13:14
Some potheads are good tippers usually because you are bringing them something they really want.

Thats what I assumed, but was mildly curious.

All I am saying is if I see $0 on the receipt 9 times out of 10 it means I'm going to get stiffed

On the odd chance I get pizza delivered, I always pay for the pizza with a card and tip in cash. I try to do this in restaurants too cause some places make the waiter/delivery guy pay for the cc processing fees for the whole bill if the tip is on the card.

Belmont31R
03-17-14, 13:14
OK, I have to ask this of delivery drivers - on average, are potheads good tippers or bad tippers? I can see it going either way but curious minds want to know.

They generally tip pretty well. Haven't gotten stiffed by one yet.

sadmin
03-17-14, 13:19
Id tip you for being a VET alone; compounding with the fact that your doing this extra while studying...good on you.

Sidenote- Papa Murpheys 😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Belmont31R
03-17-14, 13:24
Thats what I assumed, but was mildly curious.

On the odd chance I get pizza delivered, I always pay for the pizza with a card and tip in cash. I try to do this in restaurants too cause some places make the waiter/delivery guy pay for the cc processing fees for the whole bill if the tip is on the card.

When they put $0 on the online order it's intentional and already letting me know ahead of time they aren't going to tip. If they leave that blank the tip line on the receipt tip isn't filled out. The customer can do that when I give them the receipt to sign. Or some people put the tip in and I'll see $5 or whatever on the tip line. If you call in the receipt will have a blank tip line for you to fill out. Just put 0 and give the guy cash. You can always put 'cash tip' in the delivery instructions online just to be safe.

nimdabew
03-17-14, 13:26
Some people may or may not know this, but you can write whatever you want on the tip line but the total amount is what matters. I had someone give me a $40 tip on a $250, 2 trip order (there were so many pizzas that I had to make two trips) but when they wrote the total down, they wrote $250 instead of $290. What does that mean? Zero tip.

BBossman
03-17-14, 13:49
AWESOME! Somebody in a service industry telling folks how to serve the service industry...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Airhasz
03-17-14, 14:08
This thread has made me hungry. I'm calling for two large pizzas from Hungry Howie. I have to pick it up as I live in the country and outside their delivery distance by a few miles. This does get me off my not so fat ass to retrieve my own pizza though.

Pork Chop
03-17-14, 14:09
No.. no you are NOT... See below for help.

If that's true.. yes sir, you ARE a prick. A cheap one at that. I 100% agree with you on your self labeling..

Thanks for your input, I'll take that under advisement. Have a nice day.

Ryno12
03-17-14, 14:15
This thread has made me hungry. I'm calling for two large pizzas from Hungry Howie. I have to pick it up as I live in the country and outside their delivery distance by a few miles. This does get me off my not so fat ass to retrieve my own pizza though.

That's funny you say that. Domino's won't deliver to my house if I call from my home phone. They say it's beyond their range. If I call from my cell, they'll deliver, even though it's the same address. WTF?

Sent via Tapatalk

Pork Chop
03-17-14, 14:25
That's funny you say that. Domino's won't deliver to my house if I call from my home phone. They say it's beyond their range. If I call from my cell, they'll deliver, even though it's the same address. WTF?

Sent via Tapatalk

Make sure you tip the hell out of him when he gets there! You don't want to be a cheap prick.

:)

shaneinhisroom
03-17-14, 14:26
lol so bitter.

RIDE
03-17-14, 14:29
Make sure you tip the hell out of him when he gets there! You don't want to be a cheap prick.

:)

lol! THAT's funny right there!:D:D

Pork Chop
03-17-14, 14:30
lol so bitter.

Not at all. It's funny, actually. Notice I called no one names, just sayin.

It comes down to whether or not a person thinks they are responsible for other peoples lack of wages. If I feel you did well, I WILL tip, but I'm not obligated because of your job choice. That's it.

To each their own.

I'm out of this one.

OldState
03-17-14, 14:34
When I first got out of college my career was temporarily diverted by an offer to become a brewer at small microbrewery/brewpub.

When I started they made me wait tables 2 shifts a week for the 1st month. Likewise, all the restaurant management had to work in the brewery for 2 weeks.

Since that experience I have always tipped 20% for dine-in food and delivery and $1 a beer when I'm drinking at a bar or 20% when I run a tab. I even usually tip 20% for anything but horrible service. (my wife hates this)

I really wish the tipping culture didn't evolve the way it did in the US, but the food service it is often the best occupational option for people in Belmont's situation.

I tip the way I do because Im sympathetic to these people, and if you are a regular at an establishment your reputation usually leads to a better than average experience.

At a bar we used to frequent, the bartenders would have my drink waiting for me when I walked in (they would see my car pull up or at least see me when I walked in) and had one ready as soon as I took my last sip...even when the place was packed. Often they would comp us drinks or give my wife a free drink they were trying out.

I'm fortunate to make a very good living so I don't mind it, but then I tipped like this when I was a poor brewer.

PS: Am I the only one thinking of this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V4sbYy0WdGQ

High Tower
03-17-14, 14:38
When they put $0 on the online order it's intentional and already letting me know ahead of time they aren't going to tip. If they leave that blank the tip line on the receipt tip isn't filled out. The customer can do that when I give them the receipt to sign. Or some people put the tip in and I'll see $5 or whatever on the tip line. If you call in the receipt will have a blank tip line for you to fill out. Just put 0 and give the guy cash. You can always put 'cash tip' in the delivery instructions online just to be safe.

Gotcha. I didn't really some people were that blatant about not tipping. One reason why I would never do what you do.

Campbell
03-17-14, 14:39
Well I have always tipped well, my blue collar father taught me to do so. He said if you can afford to eat out, you can afford to tip. If the service is poor, you talk to management....simple system. The service industry has been good to my daughters, both waitress, and make bank. I have found being competent and diligent will take one far in their chosen endeavor. Concerning "non-tippers", the oldest says, "if they can live with it, I can live without it".{She heard that from my brother}

Belmont- +1....good on you for taking care of business...

SteyrAUG
03-17-14, 14:40
I may or may not go to someone first because they put an auto tip in that was generous and in that case I'll get their food there before someone with a poor auto tip or it says $0 on the tip line. 9/10 when it says $0 on the auto tip you'll stiff the driver. Auto tip is on the web order where the tip is already on the receipt. If you want to pay with a cc put tip cash put 'cash tip' in the delivery instructions.

Well you are hurting yourself. Most people I know would NEVER auto tip. I tip based upon experience, not what I imagine or hope the experience will be. Get my order to my door in a reasonable time frame complete and correct and you will AUTOMATICALLY get a decent tip. Most of us, myself included, probably ran pizza for a living at some point in our lives and we know your job, what you are paid and how hard you have to work for your money.

Bring me some cold pizza because you delivered out of order because some other buy auto tippped, well then you will be tipped accordingly.

Also welcome to life. There were times I hustled my ass off, did everything right and still got NOTHING just because some people are cheap bastards who don't care about anything or anyone. And if the slightest thing is wrong, on top of the fact that they had no intention of tipping at all, they are the first ones to call the store and complain and some will even try and get you fired.

They are the opposite end of the entitlement mentality you seem to suffer from to some degree.

RIDE
03-17-14, 14:46
Well you are hurting yourself. Most people I know would NEVER auto tip. I tip based upon experience, not what I imagine or hope the experience will be. Get my order to my door in a reasonable time frame complete and correct and you will AUTOMATICALLY get a decent tip. Most of us, myself included, probably ran pizza for a living at some point in our lives and we know your job, what you are paid and how hard you have to work for your money.

Bring me some cold pizza because you delivered out of order because some other buy auto tippped, well then you will be tipped accordingly.

Also welcome to life. There were times I hustled my ass off, did everything right and still got NOTHING just because some people are cheap bastards who don't care about anything or anyone. And if the slightest thing is wrong, on top of the fact that they had no intention of tipping at all, they are the first ones to call the store and complain and some will even try and get you fired.

They are the opposite end of the entitlement mentality you seem to suffer from to some degree.

I agree... I NEVER.. ever ever "Auto" tip.. no way... The tip is the insentive to do a job, whatever it is, well. Get the pizza there right when I was told it would be there, then I give a generous tip. get it there WAY early.. HUGE tip! Way late, no tip. Very simple. Over perform and I over tip, under perform and I UNDER tip.

Belmont31R
03-17-14, 14:46
Not at all. It's funny, actually. Notice I called no one names, just sayin.

It comes down to whether or not a person thinks they are responsible for other peoples lack of wages. If I feel you did well, I WILL tip, but I'm not obligated because of your job choice. That's it.

To each their own.

I'm out of this one.

I don't think customers HAVE to tip. We have enough drivers every delivery is within the quoted time.

However, the free market works and tipping can get you better service if you choose to do so and sets you above other customers in priority. It's simply an option that exists for customers.

I do think flat out non tippers should make their own food or pick it up in person. Those people are abusing how the system works with tipping. Again, not a requirement but without tipping either your food would cost a lot more or no one would be there to deliver it. Non tippers take advantage of how things work to get their food delivered for 'free'.

Tipping then allows the customer to pay for the quality of service on their own terms instead of being forced to pay for it no matter how good or shitty. Without tips you'd consistently get the lowest level of acceptable service.

Belmont31R
03-17-14, 14:50
I agree... I NEVER.. ever ever "Auto" tip.. no way... The tip is the insentive to do a job, whatever it is, well. Get the pizza there right when I was told it would be there, then I give a generous tip. get it there WAY early.. HUGE tip! Way late, no tip. Very simple. Over perform and I over tip, under perform and I UNDER tip.

We are always under the quoted time. But most of the time how long it takes is simply do to how far away from the store you are and any deliveries before you.

SteyrAUG
03-17-14, 14:56
Well after decades of having pizza delivered to me and delivering pizza to others here is the conclusion I arrived at.

Delivery charges, drivers who expect ridiculous things, people who bring me the order wrong, cold or mashed against the side of a box, those who bitch under their breath when I give them ONE DOLLAR for their shitty delivery service and a host of other similar things is why I no longer support 3/4s of the pizza delivery places in my area.

I will actually drive past them, using my own gas, to pick up the order in person. Life is too short to pay cry babies to do their damn job poorly. So in effect several local delivery places have simply lost a customer for LIFE because their drivers were such poor representatives that I'd actually pay more for my pizza elsewhere and drive farther to get it by myself.

Driving pizzas is a crappy job, but it certainly isn't hard work. I've done plenty of jobs that are much, much harder. When I run and get the pizza myself, it's not a hard job. And with GPS these days, delivering pizza is laughably simple compared to what I did years ago when you actually had to be able to read a map and find an address.

But the one that absolutely galls me, is the "tip jar" for pickup. Are you effing kidding me?!? I drove here myself and I'm supposed to tip somebody for ringing me up and running a credit card?!? I haven't been back to those places either.

Pork Chop
03-17-14, 15:02
Belmont, whether we agree totally about delivery tipping or not, you took an extra job to take care of your responsibilities and for that you have my respect.

Good luck with everything.

Abraham
03-17-14, 15:36
Ever worked for .50 cents an hour clearing land in South Texas. I did in 1963 where under almost every caliche rock you threw into a wheel barrow had either a clinging scorpion, black widow spider or the occasional rattlesnake under it?

I did at 14 and was grateful to have the job.

After that job, I had ever higher paying jobs, all dangerous and very dirty. Again, grateful to have the work.

Doing these jobs didn't make me noble or somehow fill my head with a "holier than thou" attitude either.

I didn't complain - I was grateful to have a job.

So, what I'm trying to articulate and fear I'm not doing a very good job of it is what a different mind set is at work with so many when it comes to working at crappy jobs and the expectations.

Koshinn
03-17-14, 15:40
However, the free market works and tipping can get you better service if you choose to do so and sets you above other customers in priority. It's simply an option that exists for customers.

I do think flat out non tippers should make their own food or pick it up in person. Those people are abusing how the system works with tipping. Again, not a requirement but without tipping either your food would cost a lot more or no one would be there to deliver it. Non tippers take advantage of how things work to get their food delivered for 'free'.

Food delivered for free? Isn't that what the delivery charge is for?

Tipping in advance might get you better service. Or it might not. Tips are a reward, not a down payment. If you're tipped in advance, you lose all incentives to provide good service, defeating the whole purpose.

HD1911
03-17-14, 15:43
Ever worked for .50 cents an hour clearing land in South Texas. I did in 1963 where under almost every caliche rock you threw into a wheel barrow had either a clinging scorpion, black widow spider or the occasional rattlesnake under it?

I did at 14 and was grateful to have the job.

After that job, I had ever higher paying jobs, all dangerous and very dirty. Again, grateful to have the work.

Doing these jobs didn't make me noble or somehow fill my head with a "holier than thou" attitude either.

I didn't complain - I was grateful to have a job.

So, what I'm trying to articulate and fear I'm not doing a very good job of it is what a different mind set is at work with so many when it comes to working at crappy jobs and the expectations.

I apologize directly for my "high horse" commment to you... I took it the wrong way, what you said earlier.

Abraham
03-17-14, 15:49
HD1911,

Thanks!

I very much appreciate it.

Palmguy
03-17-14, 15:54

Tipping in advance might get you better service. Or it might not. Tips are a reward, not a down payment. If you're tipped in advance, you lose all incentives to provide good service, defeating the whole purpose.

Never worked delivery but based on what I've read in this thread, I can't imagine that's accurate at all. Repeat customers seem to establish reputations. The driver wants to get that tip in the future too.

Koshinn
03-17-14, 16:03
Never worked delivery but based on what I've read in this thread, I can't imagine that's accurate at all. Repeat customers seem to establish reputations. The driver wants to get that tip in the future too.

From what I've seen about all the delivery drivers talking about "free market" and more money, does it not make sense to deliver to the uncertain tipper first to provide excellent service and get a bigger tip before delivering to an already-paid-for guaranteed tip? Maximizing profit seems to be the name of the game here.

Since all deliveries are under the estimated time (good estimate are always given a margin of error so it seems like you're providing special service when you deliver in 20 minutes instead of 45 minutes) and all will be fairly warm, it most likely makes no difference to any individual beyond the first person to receive their pizza in each delivery run.

Belmont31R
03-17-14, 16:17

Not really. If someone auto tips on their online order, and gets a cold pizza they won't tip again or goes someone else next time.

Edit: We have enough people we don't deliver cold pizzas, and we map out the pending deliveries to minimize the time we're out. For instance, if one run is 10 minutes away to the east and another is 10 minutes to the west Ill take the one that is the oldest and leave the 2nd one to the next guy so the pizza for that delivery isn't in the bag for 30 minutes or longer.

Irish
03-17-14, 16:18
Without tips you'd consistently get the lowest level of acceptable service.

I know it's not apples to apples but the best and most consistent customer service I've ever gotten, in restaurants, has been in countries that do not accept tips or are very reluctant to do so.

orionz06
03-17-14, 16:25
I know it's not apples to apples but the best and most consistent customer service I've ever gotten, in restaurants, has been in countries that do not accept tips or are very reluctant to do so.

What is the wage there?

The best service I have gotten has generally been at places above the chain joint level. Steak houses, etc. Places where the servers are trained and know what's up. Where a guy can tell me about the cuts of steak, not this Longhorn/Applebees bullshit.

And of course amazing service from one local pizza joint. Folks bring me my food fast and get money. It's not because they make less and picked a shitty job it's because that's just what you do.

RancidSumo
03-17-14, 16:27
My philosophy on tipping is pretty simple. In the US, if you can't afford to tip well you can't afford to eat out. If it is an issue of just not wanting to tip well then you are an asshole.

Irish
03-17-14, 16:28
What is the wage there?

No clue… Honestly, I didn't bother to ask but it must be pretty good. My assumption for "pretty good" is the fact that you go back to a lot of these restaurants and they have the same waiters for years and years, as in decades. I'm speaking of the handful of countries I've been to in South America and Europe.

Belmont31R
03-17-14, 16:29

In places I've been to in Europe the tip is added into the price so they're getting tipped no matter what.

Ryno12
03-17-14, 16:40
This pizza "delivery service" seems like a business inside of a business. If I was the owner, the last thing I would want is the delivery guy determining the quality of service at his/her own discretion. I'd expect my employees to give their best 100% of the time. Kinda like at any other job.

Sent via Tapatalk

Irish
03-17-14, 16:44
In places I've been to in Europe the tip is added into the price so they're getting tipped no matter what.

Is the tip added into the price of the food or is it just their hourly wage that's part of the pricing structure? Either way… Good on you bro for doing what's best for your family. Happy St. Paddy's Day!

Belmont31R
03-17-14, 17:01
Is the tip added into the price of the food or is it just their hourly wage that's part of the pricing structure? Either way… Good on you bro for doing what's best for your family. Happy St. Paddy's Day!

They generally have 10% added into the price of the food. So it it was a €10 on the menu €1 of that is the tip.

Thanks and you too!

Koshinn
03-17-14, 17:03
If tip is added to the cost automatically and transparently, is it really tip at that point, or just additional wages passed on to the customer?

SteyrAUG
03-17-14, 17:27
My philosophy on tipping is pretty simple. In the US, if you can't afford to tip well you can't afford to eat out. If it is an issue of just not wanting to tip well then you are an asshole.

What's funny, even when I was pretty broke waiting tables, I always made sure we never ate anyplace I couldn't afford to eat at and tip for good service. I had no problem NOT tipping for bad service.

Dave_M
03-17-14, 17:35
Very consistently I find that people who claim to tip based solely on service aren't very good tippers. After Inadvertently witnessing some people I know leave incredi-bad tips, I usually will go out of my way to covertly see their bill and adjust my tip accordingly (especially if they are foreign--tipping culture is far different in some locales). Both sisters worked in restaurants through college and my mom did the same.I was probably the only teenager in 500 miles that tipped over 20% because that's what my parents raised me to do. Bill is higher than you thought? Your fault, not the waiters. Suck it up and leave 20%.

Yes, one can complain about how, 'unfair tipping is' but the only thing you are screwing is the server. Not the restaurant, not the system, just the gal trying to make a living.

Airhasz
03-17-14, 17:44

Sent via Tapatalk

Funny! Years ago I offered to pay a fee to have Domino's deliver out here, the best he could do was meet me halfway at the next town's fire station and I took him up on it..lol.

Ryno12
03-17-14, 17:55
Funny! Years ago I offered to pay a fee to have Domino's deliver out here, the best he could do was meet me halfway at the next town's fire station and I took him up on it..lol.

How far away are you from them? I'm about 9 miles via county highway. Pizza Hut poo poo'd on delivery out to me and they're across the street from Domino's.
I wonder what their standard radius is.

Sent via Tapatalk

Joe Mamma
03-17-14, 19:03
This discussion reminds me of this tipping scene from the movie Reservoir Dogs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J5c09QHJRI

[Edited to add: I just saw that OldState beat me to it!]

Joe Mamma

Airhasz
03-17-14, 19:10
How far away are you from them? I'm about 9 miles via county highway. Pizza Hut poo poo'd on delivery out to me and they're across the street from Domino's.
I wonder what their standard radius is.

Sent via Tapatalk

I'm around twelve miles from town, probably just out of range for delivery.

HES
03-17-14, 20:42
I never auto tip and one of the big reasons is that I tip in cash so that the driver, if he and she earns a big one, won't have to report it. I've always believed in tipping in tipping well for for service. One thing I've noticed lately is that finding good service, be it from a delivery driver or at a restaurant, is getting harder and harder.

dhrith
03-17-14, 21:50
Only thing I'm going to add to this thread is that:
Karma's a bitch.
...and she usually finds everyone.

TXBK
03-17-14, 21:52
If I am served well, then I tip well. When I lived in a place that had delivery services, I would check food when it arrived to verify if the order was delivered correctly. I was also checking the food to see if it was fresh and if it had been thrown around or smashed, and I would tip accordingly. It is kinda of messed up to not tip a waiter/waitress or delivery person that depends on the tips to make their honest wage, unless they do a crappy job.

I do not tip Sonic carhops, and quite frankly get pissed off when they expect to keep my change when I do pay with cash. They make minimum wage, and bring my slapped together burger in a paper bag. However, I try to be cordial to anyone that comes in contact with my food while I'm unable to see it.....you know what I'm talkin about.

JoshNC
03-18-14, 19:30
I tip waitresses/waiters, barbers, and food delivery people. I add 20% if they do a good job and 15% if they do a crappy job. If the food delivery people do a consistently crappy job, I stop calling that restaurant or I go pick it up myself. If the restaurant automatically adds a tip, then that's the tip they get.

I do exactly the same.

williejc
03-20-14, 09:21
If I can afford to buy "delivered" food, I can afford to tip the delivery person.

GTF425
03-20-14, 12:19
If I can afford to buy "delivered" food, I can afford to tip the delivery person.

Exactly.

I always tip 20%, regardless.

_Stormin_
03-20-14, 19:49
I'm of a weird mindset about this one... I hate the word tip. If someone wants a tip, they should call their broker. I do not "automatically" add a GRATUITY because it's a display of my (root word here) gratitude. I can't be grateful for something that has not yet occurred. Now, if service is great, sky's the limit. I've been blessed with a great job and a successful business so a tip ain't killing me. I've tipped multiples of my check because I've been wowed. I even recruited a bartender to come work for my company. Terrible service gets a convo with a manager who may or may not care about my opinion, a poor gratuity, and maybe five times in my whole life $0 on the receipt. I can remember four of them vividly, as the experience was so bad. I have returned to one of the restaurants at the managers urging, and I was wowed. It's in any business' best interest to have happy customers and only a complete moron of a manager would fail to see that. (Odds are they wouldn't last as a manager anyway.)

Do I think that the caliber of service is going to change based upon the possibility of a great tip? Only a fool wouldn't. There's a reason my bartender at my favorite white table cloth restaurant has been there half a decade (in school the whole time, almost done with an MBA now). The average cover in there is $45 each. AVERAGE. He makes more in some nights than I made a week in school, and he busts his butt to earn it. I order off menu drinks made as I like them by giving him the nod. I've gotten to try dishes before they're put on the menu. The people there almost all know me by name and new folks are introduced. They treat me like I own the joint and I treat them like I am incredibly grateful for that level of service for myself and my friends when they come in on my recommendation. Do I think for a second that I would be that well treated if I stiffed the waitstaff routinely? Hell no. I hear stories from some of them about rough tables, and I wonder why the people would ever be so spiteful and rude to someone who's working hard to make your experience better. Other people's children I guess...

Moose-Knuckle
03-20-14, 20:18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enJwYaeolXc

PdxMotoxer
03-21-14, 18:03
I'm cheap and I do RARELY eat delivery type food.. so when i do i choose to go pick it up.

Pizza Hut is about the only place I would get and they charge $ extra to get it delivered
so there is an extra charge (the box isn't $2) but then figure in the tip for the driver.
And that's about the same price as my order for just a single guy.
I can't NOT TIP.. it's just how i was raised.
Well, unless i get real shitty service!

And YES the pizza hut by my place does have a tip jar AND look at you funny if
you do not add any tip to the order you just drove to them to pick up.
My truck gets about 11mpg and it's paid off and after my divorce my only transport
so in that case no i do not think a "tip" is called for.
15-20% depending on the service but it's just one person so how much Extra work is it
to serve me or bus a table of one.

I do applaud you for doing what it takes and finding a job to help pay the bills!!
I've thought about it but like i said my truck only gets 11-13mpg plus the wear and
tear it figure it would cost me to deliver pizza.

So do you make "minimum wage" hourly PLUS the tips you get??
Do you have to share tips with the kitchen like other jobs or are they 100% yours??

Just curious.

Belmont31R
03-22-14, 00:34
We have a tip jar at the store for walk in customers but we also have a sit down eating area. Won't look at you funny for not tipping in store. Those go to the kitchen staff.

I make $6.50/hr. We have a $2.50 delivery charge which I get half. All the tips I get go back to me. At the end of the shift the manager goes through my receipts and inputs the write in tips, and the auto tips are automatically added along with my $1.25 per delivery commission. Then they deduct any cash deliveries I had and pay me the difference. If I have quite a few cash deliveries I might owe the store money.

Made $70 in tips tonight plus 6.50/hr for 5.5hrs. Works out to $19.22/hr total for tonight.

Belmont31R
03-23-14, 01:57
Got stiffed on a tip tonight. Big girl had a big order of pizza rolls with a cash delivery. $15.xx due and had to give her a five back in change on a 20 so she actually got extra back. We have a change jar at home. Might have to have do a change jar in the car and go get change in pennies for these types. The delivery after her tipped $6 which was nice.

Pets are another issue. If your cat or dog is going to escape put them up in a room. Quite a few people are wresting with animals on the other side of the door. Funny stuff.

Koshinn
03-23-14, 02:12
Ive always wanted to ask someone this:

do you hate it when people include in their tip any sort of coins?

Belmont31R
03-23-14, 02:18

No. There is a middle aged woman who've I've delivered to 3 times now and she meets me in her driveway. Always has the cash ready to go and it's like a 5 second exchange. Her cash is dialed in for the tip and I don't mind it even with the change. We have regulars and she is one of them that just tips like that down to the penny. Still a good tip and she probably has OCD or something else but she just tips the order amount plus $5.

Caduceus
03-23-14, 10:09
I'm probably one of those bipolar tippers ...
-Barber? $2 standard. (on a $10 cut, so that's 20%).
-Wait staff? Typically double the tax (ie, about 15%) plus typically $1 on top of that. I've got a 14 month old, so lately I've been tipping more cuz I know there's going to be some clean up involved.
-Pizza guy? Tough one. Typically I don't carry a lot of cash. It's either the difference between the total and the denominations I have available, or sometimes whatever I can scrape up out of the couch, ash tray in the car, etc. Sometimes it's a $6 tip, sometimes $2. What really blows is that I use the same restaurant, it's always "45 minutes to an hour," and it's NEVER the same delivery guy. So I can't even see the guy a week later and slip him an extra $5 with an apology.

And, yes, I worked in the restaurant business in high school. Got tipped ONCE in 2 years. Then again, it was Chuck E Cheese, I was the cashier and helped out the wait staff during birthday parties and large groups as needed. But they never bumped money back to me. Maybe I'm still bitter.

Belmont31R
04-13-14, 02:25
'My mom wanted to get rid of change' isn't a cool tip or way to get rid of change.

Still everyday has a new surprise. Sad to say stormy weather tomorrow means I should do pretty good on tips.

Belmont31R
04-13-14, 02:44
I'm probably one of those bipolar tippers ...
-Wait staff? Typically double the tax (ie, about 15%) plus typically $1 on top of that. I've got a 14 month old, so lately I've been tipping more cuz I know there's going to be some clean up involved.
-Pizza guy? Tough one. Typically I don't carry a lot of cash. It's either the difference between the total and the denominations I have available, or sometimes whatever I can scrape up out of the couch, ash tray in the car, etc. Sometimes it's a $6 tip, sometimes $2. What really blows is that I use the same restaurant, it's always "45 minutes to an hour," and it's NEVER the same delivery guy. So I can't even see the guy a week later and slip him an extra $5 with an apology.

And, yes, I worked in the restaurant business in high school. Got tipped ONCE in 2 years. Then again, it was Chuck E Cheese, I was the cashier and helped out the wait staff during birthday parties and large groups as needed. But they never bumped money back to me. Maybe I'm still bitter.

Well that's part of why I buzz my own hair. Have for the last decade or more. $100 in clippers over a decade. But if I got a barber cut I'd tip.

As to the pizza guy thing if you're paying in cash, which isn't that common anymore, you know we typically carry change right? I typically have ~20 in various small bills in my right front pocket. Large bills go to my back right. You can write a check, too.

A couple of times I've been caught with just odd cash on me and I try to avoid that. If I have like a 10 and a couple ones I'll ask my manager for a break on the 10. I can access the register but just keeps it kosher asking first. Sometimes I have 0-1 cash deliveries and sometimes I get a ton. Last weekend I just got a lot of them and owed the store over $100 despite pulling in over $80 in tips. Just works out different ways everyday.

We have 5-6 guys on a busy weekend night and tapers off from 8-10 to just 2 of us by 10. Tomorrow night I'm the only guy from 10-11. A few weeks ago we got 7 deliveries from 9:45-11 and it was all me with 1 cook. For those familiar with Austin I had stuff north of 360 to south of 35 in that time period. Didn't get home til like 1am.

Good thing about that is I like money and the busier I am the more money I'm making and the faster time goes by. Absolutely hate dead time at the store and my avg per hour goes down.

Belmont31R
04-13-14, 03:42

Depends. A pile of change with penny's is like WTF. a stack of quarters is ok I guess. Change as a tip is like yeah I'll take it but I don't really like a pile of coins. It's like ugh really?

Brahmzy
04-13-14, 08:03
This is a great thread. Interesting / enlightening to read the comments.
There are basic human traights such as COMPASSION towards other people. And there's a difference between doing the correct thing and doing the right thing.
I ALWAYS tip the pizza / Jimmy Johns guy/gal. Those kids are risking life and limb driving all over the crazy ass roads around here, in a hurry, to bring my lazy ass some food. That is hard work. Should they have a different pay structure? Maybe, maybe not. The pay structure they have is what it is, so you should tip them. If it was a "correct" pay structure, our pizzas would cost $30 apiece and nobody would order pizzas, yet alone multiples.
I have been kind of cheap lately in doing a $3 or so auto tip on a single pizza, but I think I'll hit the bank and get a couple of hundred out in $5 bills, just for the pizza / Jimmy Johns guys. Will it really break my budget to give an extra couple bucks 1-2 times a month? No, and cash means they get the whole $5...
Good thread and a wakeup for me. Cheers to all of the delivery peeps out there.

orionz06
04-15-14, 11:45

I keep my hair short and spike it a little and for whatever reason people are too dumb to get it right. I found a few people who do it well and I stick with one in particular now and have for 4 years so far. Haircut price was $35, she discounts it to $25 and I tip $10.

FChen17213
04-15-14, 15:19
I worked as a college delivery driver when I was in college many years ago in the late 90s and early 2000s. We mainly delivered to college kids. I have so many funny stories it's ridiculous. The standard tip back then was just one or two bucks from the kids. Contrary to what people say, we did have "black lists" and people did add "special ingredients" to the food of those who didn't tip. In fact, I saw so many hilarious things, I actually felt bad for many people we delivered food to. One driver was so pissed off at the kid up in his dorm room, the kid called the restaurant and said that he was scared to come downstairs because he was afraid he would be assaulted by the driver. Saliva, hair, sweat, and other bodily fluids were frequently added to the food of those who didn't tip. Customers who called and complained were frequently told by managers to "Eat $hit and die." The funniest thing is that we did not care either because business would not be affected. The company I worked for had a complete monopoly on the entire campus. Thus, it didn't matter which restaurant you ordered food from, it actually still was delivered by this company.

What was really funny is that one time one of the managers was working the phones and this one guy called in this order. He quickly became a jackass and really rude. When we cussed him out, he said that we lost his business and that he was going to call a competing restaurant and order their food. Little did the guy know, we deliver all the food for both restaurants. A quick call went out to the other restaurant to keep an eye out for this individual's order. We found that kid's order at the other restaurant. The driver very liberally put his bodily fluids and contacted the food with his "man parts" as the story goes. Then it was delivered much to the satisfaction of the staff. People who order lemonade and don't tip......you can guess the rest. There were drivers who were smart enough to add just enough so that the taste wouldn't become apparent until it was too late.

Contrary to what people think, that movie Waiting is very true in many ways. I would never mess with someone who handles my food. I worked in the restaurant and bar business for a very long time and I've seen a lot of stuff in it. I always tip 20% or more. I know all the unreasonable customers and crap that people in the industry have to deal with. I've been a pissed off customer and patron myself too. Usually I just never go back. I usually will still tip 20%......just because I know that if I ever have to return to that place? I don't want to run the risk of being the guy eating dandruff and man-chowder. What anyone else wants to do is their business. I'm not saying who is right or wrong.....just that many people really have no idea what goes on in the restaurant business......just the greasy guy who sticks his hand on a giant trashcan full of lettuce and cheese and starts making your "house salad" after taking a huge diarhea dump without washing his hands. You come in 5 min. before close and order a lot of food? Don't be surprised if they are trying to push you out and mess with your food.

There were college kids who answered the door naked, with a bong in their hand.....you name it. You saw all kinds of messed up people. There were people who offered to tip drugs, bong rips, beer, etc etc.

I'm not providing excuses for poor CS. In fact, the customer service is terrible at most restaurants, and I'm not sure how much tip people really deserve. However, the reality of it is that people these days are all crappy in general. Customers and wait staff and drivers. People shit on each other both ways.

BTW: Yes, most drivers hate coins.....espcially anything less than quarters.