PDA

View Full Version : Gas tube

ando35
03-17-14, 19:49
Can the gas tube easily bend during cleaning? I cleaned my 6920 and was pushing cloth down the side of the gas tube with a toothbrush (not very hard) and I wonder if it is easily bent? Seems like it might be.

Judicator
03-17-14, 19:53
I don't believe so. I know they CAN be bent but usually takes some force. I'm sure you are fine.

Sent from my IPhone, please ignore spelling mistakes. Siri is dumb.

Dead Man
03-17-14, 20:06
I don't believe so. I know they CAN be bent but usually takes some force. I'm sure you are fine.

Sent from my IPhone, please ignore spelling mistakes. Siri is dumb.

Yea, don't worry about it. They flex plenty before they bend, and you'd have to hammer on it pretty damn hard with a cloth and toothbrush before it would bend.

ando35
03-17-14, 21:02
Cool, thanks guys.

markm
03-18-14, 08:29
They are a bitch to bend. Sometimes you need to bend them a little for key alignment purposes.... it's not easy... they're pretty springy.

Airhasz
03-18-14, 08:36
Can the gas tube easily bend during cleaning? I cleaned my 6920 and was pushing cloth down the side of the gas tube with a toothbrush (not very hard) and I wonder if it is easily bent? Seems like it might be.

It is easy to check gas tube alignment. Remove the bolt and slide carrier only into upper and check fit of GT into the gas key. It should slide in and out easily with no binding.

BufordTJustice
03-18-14, 08:59
They are a bitch to bend. Sometimes you need to bend them a little for key alignment purposes.... it's not easy... they're pretty springy.

This.

I had one on a buddy's build that I couldn't bend inside the upper. I would press it all the way to the upper receiver wall and it would spring RIGHT BACK. Had to take it out to bend it. If it's a quality gas tube like Colt, I wouldn't worry about it unless it clearly looks crooked or clearly shows difficulty when returning to battery

markm
03-18-14, 09:04
This.

I had one on a buddy's build that I couldn't bend inside the upper. I would press it all the way to the upper receiver wall and it would spring RIGHT BACK. Had to take it out to bend it. If it's a quality gas tube like Colt, I wouldn't worry about it unless it clearly looks crooked or clearly shows difficulty when returning to battery

I was working on one yesterday. I kept at it and got it about 70 percent of where I'd like it to be. If a tube wears down enough on the end, it will leak gas and potentially cause problems.

I had it happen on my older 14.5 middy. Tube wore down to like .165" from the original .180" and it caused cycling problems.

BufordTJustice
03-18-14, 09:11
Yep, Gas tubes are wear items, like barrels, springs, and bolts.

markm
03-18-14, 09:19
Yep, Gas tubes are wear items, like barrels, springs, and bolts.

This was premature however. I mean... like 2000-2500 rounds and functioning issues. It was under a DD lite rail so I couldn't see the amount of leakage build up until I pulled the rail off. It wasn't an alignment thing either. It was worn evenly all the way around. I suspect the tube was just soft... or the key was rough on the inside.... Still watching it with the new tube to see if the problem repeats.

tom12.7
03-18-14, 17:15
This was premature however. I mean... like 2000-2500 rounds and functioning issues. It was under a DD lite rail so I couldn't see the amount of leakage build up until I pulled the rail off. It wasn't an alignment thing either. It was worn evenly all the way around. I suspect the tube was just soft... or the key was rough on the inside.... Still watching it with the new tube to see if the problem repeats.

I've seen more than a few gas keys with "stepped tapered bores", mostly happens with tool wear from machining. That will definitely cause a uniform wear on the gas tube. Maybe something to check out?

markm
03-19-14, 15:42
I've seen more than a few gas keys with "stepped tapered bores", mostly happens with tool wear from machining. That will definitely cause a uniform wear on the gas tube. Maybe something to check out?

The thought crossed my mind. Hard to measure that though... Maybe I'll get another carrier and eyeball the two right next to each other. When I run the empty carrier in the upper, I don't get any feeling of the key rubbing the tube.

tom12.7
03-19-14, 16:26
The thought crossed my mind. Hard to measure that though... Maybe I'll get another carrier and eyeball the two right next to each other. When I run the empty carrier in the upper, I don't get any feeling of the key rubbing the tube.

Maybe it's not? But if you have an extra carrier and a fresh uninstalled gas tube, you could possibly feel a difference in fit.

MistWolf
03-19-14, 20:39
If you were of a mind to, you could measure the inside diameter of the gas key with drill rods. It could also give you an idea of the ID were out of round

lowbar
03-20-14, 18:57
I knock mine around all the time with a toothbrush when cleaning. Never had an issue.

Mozart
06-08-14, 12:37
I have a gas tube that has a different bend in it than the stock one. The stock one bends up after it leaves the gas block, and the spikes tactical melonited one bends down. Manufacturing mistake?

E.t.a.: it only has a hole for picking up gas on one side. I can't just flip it over

MarkG
06-08-14, 13:28
... and the spikes tactical melonited one bends down. Manufacturing mistake?

Sounds like it...

markm
06-08-14, 15:28
I have a gas tube that has a different bend in it than the stock one. The stock one bends up after it leaves the gas block, and the spikes tactical melonited one bends down. Manufacturing mistake?

E.t.a.: it only has a hole for picking up gas on one side. I can't just flip it over

You have a pic of this nonsense?

Clint
06-08-14, 16:32
This is a mfg defect.

It happens from time to time.

Just send it back to where you got it for replacement.

Sparky5019
06-09-14, 06:15
Ok...so I'll derail and ask if anyone has tried the V7 Inconel gas tubes. I mean, I haven't melted a std one yet but, I've tried. ;) I've actually had no problems with my std ones but considered the V7 for suppressed and possible future SF applications.