PDA

View Full Version : Dbal A2 into Class 1...

Joethe33
03-18-14, 03:34
What would be so difficult about making something in this package? Proven design. Slaved lasers. :confused:
Does it have something to do with fitting a 'usable' illuminator in the design?

GTF425
03-18-14, 03:51
Does it have something to do with fitting a 'usable' illuminator in the design?

Yep.

We have two choices: find a second hand Class IIIb laser/illuminator and risk it becoming a paper weight when/if it breaks, or go the DBAL-D2/Wilcox RAPTAR route. I too would love to see a DBAL-A2 sized Class I laser/illum, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Joethe33
03-18-14, 09:13
Yep.

We have two choices: find a second hand Class IIIb laser/illuminator and risk it becoming a paper weight when/if it breaks, or go the DBAL-D2/Wilcox RAPTAR route. I too would love to see a DBAL-A2 sized Class I laser/illum, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I'm at a pickle here. I always buy new. Buy once cry once right? But I have some cash saved up for an A2, problem isn't so much finding one for me, it's worrying about what happens when it dies on me. I wish I could just buy new and I love the design of the A2. The package size of this unit and the ATPIAL interest me the most but same issue. I really don't like how big the d2 is, and how expensive it is..(for what you get..)
I'm also not sold on the Wilcox either. I haven't heard anything impressive about it.

What is one to do ;(

GTF425
03-18-14, 09:31
The A2's are damn reliable.

We've been running them at work in the gray/two-lever design with the ARMS mount. I've seen a whole lot less failures with those opposed to PEQ-15s. The mount on the 15 is "okay" at best and they aren't very durable when dropped. A few of them in my Company don't have functioning illuminators and more than a handful have misaligned IR/vis lasers from years of field use.

Anything made by man can and will break eventually. Take care of your laser and it'll take care of you. If you're worried about it breaking, the warranty from LDI for the D2 is the only thing making it a contender for personal use. Otherwise, try to scout out a well maintained A2. Keep the battery out of it when storing for long periods of time and don't use cheap CR123's...Surefire brand all the way.

If you can get a PEQ-15 or DBAL-A2 in decent shape, don't worry about breaking it. I highly doubt the normal person will abuse one more than some Infantry Private who didn't pay for it.