PDA

View Full Version : It's official - civilization is doomed.

austinN4
03-18-14, 07:39
Enjoy it while you can.

Civilization Is Doomed Warns Safa Motesharri's Nasa-Funded Study
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/03/17/civilisation-doomed_n_4977387.html?utm_hp_ref=canada&ir=Canada

TMS951
03-18-14, 08:59
Enjoy it while you can.

Civilization Is Doomed Warns Safa Motesharri's Nasa-Funded Study
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/03/17/civilisation-doomed_n_4977387.html?utm_hp_ref=canada&ir=Canada

and this is why I keep buying ammo.

The parallels between the fall of Rome and the fall of America are shockingly similar.

Koshinn
03-18-14, 09:02
Welp we had a good run.

But seriously, there are huge differences between modern and ancient society, namely globalization and near-instantaneous communication across the planet.

If America falls, ok. Civilization hasn't fallen. Hell, if all of Europe and the Americas fall, civilization still hasn't fallen. It's pretty much guaranteed that at least a few modern nations will survive any sort of economical or societal collapse not based on a massive natural disaster or alien invasion.

Countries rise and fall, but in the modern era, knowledge is very resilient due to distribution via ridiculously amazing communications technology and a larger overall population.

markm
03-18-14, 09:35
Countries rise and fall, but in the modern era, knowledge is very resilient due to distribution via ridiculously amazing communications technology

That fragile crap?

uffdaphil
03-18-14, 10:30
Agree the world is not likely be reduced to meat on sticks over open fire level, but civilization minus the civil smells like doom to me. The North Korea model, with plenty of tech prowess and a tiny elite using it to control the rest seems very possible following a societal collapse.

Funny how the left and right predict the same end caused by opposite means. Personally, the levelers scare me more than capitalist greed.

Koshinn
03-18-14, 10:31
That fragile crap?

The point is, even if the internet were to die right now, information is already in so many places that it wouldn't have been otherwise.

The North Korea model, with plenty of tech prowess and a tiny elite using it to control the rest seems very possible following a societal collapse.

And that's why the citizens are/should be armed in America.

austinN4
03-18-14, 10:47
A do-over wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

uffdaphil
03-18-14, 11:30

Collateral deaths of innocents and generations of misery before just governments reappear make a do-over too expensive.
If we could simply abide by the Constitution I would be content.

Bolt_Overide
03-18-14, 13:50
Collateral deaths of innocents and generations of misery before just governments reappear make a do-over too expensive.
If we could simply abide by the Constitution I would be content.

You believe in unicorns dont ya?

Koshinn
03-18-14, 13:56

What do you mean by do-over?

montanadave
03-18-14, 14:07
Frankly, I thought things started going to shit when they took The Rockford Files off the air.

uffdaphil
03-18-14, 14:55
You believe in unicorns dont ya?

No Uni's here. If = wish.

Honu
03-18-14, 15:18
but if we do wealth redistribution all will be fixed ! and cut down on births
maybe we should start eugenics ! OH WAIT Bill Gates foundation has started that over seas and planned parent hood killed more black babies than babies that were born in NY so they are trying

but the whole redistribution thing in the NASA finding surely showed the political progressive direction of this so called finding :)

austinN4
03-18-14, 15:20
What do you mean by do-over?
Run virus scan and reboot.

Koshinn
03-18-14, 15:34
Run virus scan and reboot.

So kill everyone you don't agree with and overthrow the government to create your own?

I'm still not getting what you're saying.

gun71530
03-18-14, 15:45
Welp we had a good run.

But seriously, there are huge differences between modern and ancient society, namely globalization and near-instantaneous communication across the planet.

If America falls, ok. Civilization hasn't fallen. Hell, if all of Europe and the Americas fall, civilization still hasn't fallen. It's pretty much guaranteed that at least a few modern nations will survive any sort of economical or societal collapse not based on a massive natural disaster or alien invasion.

Countries rise and fall, but in the modern era, knowledge is very resilient due to distribution via ridiculously amazing communications technology and a larger overall population.

Except people in ancient societies knew how to hunt, fish, and grow crops. A lot of people today would starve to death without a grocery store.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Honu
03-18-14, 16:31
just remember what NASA is these days its not the same as the folks who loved America and sent a man to the moon !!!!
it is for sure just a propaganda arm for the obama admin

Mr Bolden said: "When I became the Nasa administrator, he [Mr Obama] charged me with three things.
"One, he wanted me to help reinspire children to want to get into science and math; he wanted me to expand our international relationships; and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math, and engineering."
He added: "It is a matter of trying to reach out and get the best of all worlds, if you will, and there is much to be gained by drawing in the contributions that are possible from the Muslim [nations]."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7875584/Barack-Obama-Nasa-must-try-to-make-Muslims-feel-good.html

The_War_Wagon
03-18-14, 16:39
but the whole redistribution thing in the NASA finding surely showed the political progressive direction of this so called finding :)

I thought NASA was our mohammedan outreach program now?

http://iowntheworld.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Sears_Tower.jpg

http://thepeoplescube.com/images/Asteroid_NASA_Rage_Boy.jpg

Honu
03-18-14, 16:56
wish we had a like button :)

yeah scary but true pics these days

weggy
03-18-14, 17:15
I'd just be happy to survive this POTUS moron that's trying to wreck this country right now.:mad:

Trajan
03-18-14, 19:22
The point is, even if the internet were to die right now, information is already in so many places that it wouldn't have been otherwise.

With less and less "real books" and more and more "e-books", maybe not.

Everything that lives dies. Who paid for this study? Nothing lasts forever; seems like common sense to me.

Moose-Knuckle
03-18-14, 19:52
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/humanpopulationgrowthgraph_zpscd80209b.png (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/AKS-74/media/humanpopulationgrowthgraph_zpscd80209b.png.html)

The proverbial writing has been on the wall for quite some time, anyone with two firing synapses should be able to see it. The dream world that has been fabricated for us can't last forever. Take into account that petrochemicals and the internal combustible engine has allowed mankind to soar to its current unsustainable population levels and it’s not hard to imagine what things are going to be like when it all goes pear shaped. The food that the average American household sits down to eat at their dinner table has been trucked into their local from over 1500 miles away. Antiquated power grids, dependence on technology, shell game economies, the decay of our moral fabric, dwindling fresh water supply, et al.

SteveS
03-18-14, 20:18
I would say the fall of the US is like the fall of Israel in the BC times.

thopkins22
03-18-14, 20:25
Guys, we're doing okay. There's never been a better, safer, or healthier time to be alive on the face of the planet. From the poorest countries to the US and Europe, you are less likely to die of starvation or violence(simply being a human on the planet) than at any time in recorded history.

There may be some bumps in the road we're going down...but by and large we've got a good thing going that will be hard to derail. Eventually we'll all die off...but we already knew that right? For the religious it will be because of the apocalypse, and for the rest of us it'll be something crazy like an asteroid, getting consumed by a dying sun, or maybe getting kicked out of the solar system by something. But that's okay...all good things must come to an end.

Eurodriver
03-18-14, 20:59
Guys, we're doing okay. There's never been a better, safer, or healthier time to be alive on the face of the planet. From the poorest countries to the US and Europe, you are less likely to die of starvation or violence(simply being a human on the planet) than at any time in recorded history.

There may be some bumps in the road we're going down...but by and large we've got a good thing going that will be hard to derail. Eventually we'll all die off...but we already knew that right? For the religious it will be because of the apocalypse, and for the rest of us it'll be something crazy like an asteroid, getting consumed by a dying sun, or maybe getting kicked out of the solar system by something. But that's okay...all good things must come to an end.

This.

Lots of doomsday folks on gun forums. If you guys practiced what you preached, you wouldn't have 401ks, investments, stocks, paper currency, savings accounts, or anything other than a bunker off the grid in the hills.

Is it just fun for the lot of you, or do you honestly believe it? (People have thought civilization at one time or another was doomed since civilization began)

montanadave
03-18-14, 21:23
This.

Lots of doomsday folks on gun forums. If you guys practiced what you preached, you wouldn't have 401ks, investments, stocks, paper currency, savings accounts, or anything other than a bunker off the grid in the hills.

Is it just fun for the lot of you, or do you honestly believe it? (People have thought civilization at one time or another was doomed since civilization began)

Life's too short. I've got both!

Yeah, it's pretty fun. Like the most awesome fort I never got to build as a kid. An additional benefit is most folks think you're out of your ****in' mind, which cuts down on visitors.

ra2bach
03-18-14, 21:39
Frankly, I thought things started going to shit when they took The Rockford Files off the air.

LOL...

ra2bach
03-18-14, 21:42

don't forget to bring a towel...

austinN4
03-18-14, 21:54
Lots of doomsday folks on gun forums.
Actually, if you go back to the OP, you will see that it is what a NASA paid for study said.

montanadave
03-18-14, 21:59

I know! That's just crazy.

BoringGuy45
03-18-14, 23:38
People have been proclaiming that the end is near since the beginning of written history. There's always been floods, plagues, famines, wars, rumors of war, collapsing societies, storms, volcanoes, earthquakes, etc, that have supposedly pointed to the end of everything. For the past hundred years, we've been warned by "experts" that if we keep doing this or don't start doing that, then mathematical calculations and scientific experiments have proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that we will be doomed before the end of our generation. I was told 20 years ago in elementary school that the world would be out of fresh water by 2010. My mother was told in high school that the world would enter a new ice age by the early 80s and that most of the population would die off due to famine. I was told the same thing in 4th grade. Now I'm told the earth is getting too hot.

But in the end, what does this mathematician want us to do? Should the world come together and ban reproduction for the next generation to bring out our carbon footprint? Yeah, maybe numbers drop to a seemingly more sustainable level...then a catastrophe hits and wipes out millions, or maybe billions of people, and suddenly, people can't breed fast enough to save our race...and another mathematician calculates that people need to start banging and banging quickly because we won't live to see another generation...

There's caution and common sense to be reaped from some of these guys, but overall, I've found you've really gotta filter the alarmist talk.

Moose-Knuckle
03-19-14, 13:09
In 1787 Lord Alexander Fraser Tytler, a Scottish professor at the University of
Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some
2,000 years earlier:

'A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a
permanent form of government.'

'A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves
generous gifts from the public treasury.' 'From that moment on, the majority
always vote for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public
treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to
loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.'

'The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of
history, has been about 200 years'
'During those 200 years, those nations always progressed through the following
sequence:

1. from bondage to spiritual faith;
2. from spiritual faith to great courage;
3. from courage to liberty;
4. from liberty to abundance;
5. from abundance to complacency;
6. from complacency to apathy;
7. from apathy to dependence;
8. from dependence back into bondage'

Professor Joseph Olson of Hemline University School of Law, St. Paul ,
Minnesota , points out some interesting facts concerning the 2000 Presidential election:

Number of States won by: Democrats: 19 Republicans: 29
Square miles of land won by: Democrats: 580,000 Republicans: 2,427,000

Population of counties won by: Democrats: 127 million Republicans: 143 million

Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Democrats: 13.2
Republicans: 2.1

Professor Olson adds: 'In aggregate, the map of the territory Republican won was
mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens of this great country. Democrat
territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in government-owned tenements
and living off various forms of government welfare...' Olson believes the
United States is now somewhere between the 'complacency and apathy' phase of
Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the
nation's population already having reached the 'governmental dependency' phase.

montanadave
03-19-14, 13:31
^ That's sig line shit right thar.

Hey, wait just a darn tootin' minute! :big_boss:

Belloc
03-20-14, 08:58
Not quite. We still had 2 more seasons of Barney Miller before they should have turned the Doomsday Clock to midnight.

montanadave
03-20-14, 09:07
Not quite. We still had 2 more seasons of Barney Miller before they should have turned the Doomsday Clock to midnight.

Gotta love Inspector Luger. I'm bummed that the show never showed up in reruns.

Belloc
03-20-14, 09:23
Gotta love Inspector Luger. I'm bummed that the show never showed up in reruns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TthgTwGHaNw
He was great, but then so was Fish, and Yamana, and "Wojo", and Dietrich.

Bolt_Overide
03-20-14, 12:13
No Uni's here. If = wish.

Fair enough, right there with ya. I don't think we should hold our breath on it though.

wild_wild_wes
03-20-14, 22:29
In 1787 Lord Alexander Fraser Tytler, a Scottish professor at the University of
Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some
2,000 years earlier:

'A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a
permanent form of government.'

'A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves
generous gifts from the public treasury.' 'From that moment on, the majority
always vote for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public
treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to
loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.'

'The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of
history, has been about 200 years'
'During those 200 years, those nations always progressed through the following
sequence:

1. from bondage to spiritual faith;
2. from spiritual faith to great courage;
3. from courage to liberty;
4. from liberty to abundance;
5. from abundance to complacency;
6. from complacency to apathy;
7. from apathy to dependence;
8. from dependence back into bondage'

Professor Joseph Olson of Hemline University School of Law, St. Paul ,
Minnesota , points out some interesting facts concerning the 2000 Presidential election:

Number of States won by: Democrats: 19 Republicans: 29
Square miles of land won by: Democrats: 580,000 Republicans: 2,427,000

Population of counties won by: Democrats: 127 million Republicans: 143 million

Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Democrats: 13.2
Republicans: 2.1

Professor Olson adds: 'In aggregate, the map of the territory Republican won was
mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens of this great country. Democrat
territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in government-owned tenements
and living off various forms of government welfare...' Olson believes the
United States is now somewhere between the 'complacency and apathy' phase of
Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the
nation's population already having reached the 'governmental dependency' phase.

Great quote, but it is pasted together, and of modern origin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Fraser_Tytler

Moose-Knuckle
03-21-14, 02:58
Great quote, but it is pasted together, and of modern origin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Fraser_Tytler

Yeah, I couldn't find the original (the one I had read sometime back) but found the above.

Shao
03-21-14, 07:08

At first I thought that was a Towelie reference, then I realized that you were summoning the spirit of Douglas Adams. Nice.

a1fabweld
03-21-14, 10:58
With the world about to end and all, could someone please tell the gun grabbers that there are more important things to worry about?

In the meantime, I'll be at the nudie supporting the single mom's.

Caeser25
03-21-14, 12:00
but if we do wealth redistribution all will be fixed ! and cut down on births
maybe we should start eugenics ! OH WAIT Bill Gates foundation has started that over seas and planned parent hood killed more black babies than babies that were born in NY so they are trying

Money, greed and power. Every wealthy, industrialized nation has birth rates on the decline. Bam. Case closed.