PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 replaceing 223/ best barrel length?

relictrader
05-25-08, 11:14
Some Goverment groups are purchaseing 6.8 AR's...

Question then, why does my Korea SP1 outshoot my new HOLLINGERcustom HB 6 MM at 300 yds(and it's a overload to handle)?
The SP1 with 20 in.thin barreled chrom molly type with a HM Tunner
on end with handloaded match 223.(it's pleaseing to handle)

I want to know from all if a M-4 with 22in with same thin barrel would loose it 's balanced/m4 feel?My interest is having enough barrel to burn all the 6.8 powder and realize most velosity potental for 6and 800 yd snyper matches.

Thanking you for your thoughts,GARY

TWR
05-25-08, 14:09
I have no idea, the 6.8 was said to be designed for a carbine barrel. The onslaught of 6.8 wildcats may not take this into account.

What really interests me is your 6mm, is it a 6MM WOA? I have been looking at this round some and have talked to John about it. He said they are doing some in 20" barrels but he of course prefers 26". I won't own any heavy barrels and if they need to be over 18" I tend to shy away from them in an AR platform. I'm curious as to the specs and performance of your gun and the loads you've tried.

relictrader
05-25-08, 14:48
The 6mm from Hollinger is a Hagar and is accurate.
The biggest draw back is, we are still forming weak
30 Rem brass that was designed for Cowboys.
Test Fireing on my test range has produced a load
that is consistant 1.25 in.@ 300yds(3shots).,,and with the
HIGH VLD 105 gr. Bergers 20 mph cross wind is very
manageable.

I"m ,like YOU, am parcal to light guns and Troghy hunted the world
with a supper acurate 6.5 pound gun that was fired twice.
I could have carried a 9 pound gun and not had the energy
reserves to enjoy the hunts.

The SP1,with the thin profile barrel shot poorly with box ammo.
Handloading work wonders and especially with the hand made tunner
theaded on where the flash hider was to further stop the barrel
(an Korea era original COLT BARREL) ...
Bottom Line...223 52 gr. Match under 1.00in. @ 300yds.(3shots)(no Wind)

relictrader
05-27-08, 15:54
AR DICUSSIONS >>>>>
HBAR makeover......................

QUOTE<<< The combination of the LaRue rail, entire barrel turned to .71" contour and the FC556 makes for a much more balanced and pointable setup compared to the factory V Match HBAR. Very quick on the follow up shots now.
The weight reduction is noticeable providing I don't load her up with even more shit.At this time I have to say its my favorite But for looks, feel, and cool factor I now prefer the 20 in Barrel>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

THIS POST ANSWERS ONE OF MY QUESTIONS.....Why not turn down 22in barrel .71 or .68?
I received the Redding Dies back yesterday with longer stems(for 90 gr.) in mail and loaded FIVE 90 gr.Bergers rounds for AR Magazine and all were under .90 with vertigal string and .4 horizonal drift, with 20 MPH cross winds at 300yds.... No wonder the 6mm Hagar AR was the Camp Perry Standout.
Shot the same target with 223 52 gr. match(300 yds.20 mph cross wind) and had horizonal drift string 5 shots @1.75inches.