PDA

View Full Version : 10 Things The Gun Industry Wont Tell You

Endur
03-18-14, 21:27
Any see this non-sense?

...What's more, a growing body of research suggests that simply owning a gun is correlated with an increased likelihood that you'll be a victim of violence. A study published this January in the Annals of Internal Medicine found that people who live in homes with firearms are over three times as likely to die from suicide and two times as likely to be a victim of homicide as those who don't have access to firearms. The study analyzed the results of 16 other studies and found that in all but one, access to guns was linked to a higher probability of murder or suicide. In another study published in the journal Aggression and Violent Behavior, two Harvard researchers conducted a review of 26 studies on gun availability and homicide in multiple countries and found that most of them "are consistent with the hypothesis that higher levels of gun prevalence substantially increase the homicide rate."...

http://money.msn.com/investing/10-things-the-gun-industry-wont-tell-you

SeriousStudent
03-18-14, 21:32
Friends don't let friends read MSN.

montanadave
03-18-14, 21:38
I'm guessing folks have a better chance of getting stabbed to death in homes without guns.

Don Robison
03-18-14, 21:40
I'll start listening to medical folks about the dangers of guns when they can do better than 210,000 deaths a year from preventable hospital errors.

http://journals.lww.com/journalpatientsafety/Fulltext/2013/09000/A_New,_Evidence_based_Estimate_of_Patient_Harms.2.aspx

Objectives: Based on 1984 data developed from reviews of medical records of patients treated in New York hospitals, the Institute of Medicine estimated that up to 98,000 Americans die each year from medical errors. The basis of this estimate is nearly 3 decades old; herein, an updated estimate is developed from modern studies published from 2008 to 2011.

Methods: A literature review identified 4 limited studies that used primarily the Global Trigger Tool to flag specific evidence in medical records, such as medication stop orders or abnormal laboratory results, which point to an adverse event that may have harmed a patient. Ultimately, a physician must concur on the findings of an adverse event and then classify the severity of patient harm.

Results: Using a weighted average of the 4 studies, a lower limit of 210,000 deaths per year was associated with preventable harm in hospitals. Given limitations in the search capability of the Global Trigger Tool and the incompleteness of medical records on which the Tool depends, the true number of premature deaths associated with preventable harm to patients was estimated at more than 400,000 per year. Serious harm seems to be 10- to 20-fold more common than lethal harm.

Conclusions: The epidemic of patient harm in hospitals must be taken more seriously if it is to be curtailed. Fully engaging patients and their advocates during hospital care, systematically seeking the patients’ voice in identifying harms, transparent accountability for harm, and intentional correction of root causes of harm will be necessary to accomplish this goal.

SeriousStudent
03-18-14, 21:49
I'm guessing folks have a better chance of getting stabbed to death in homes without guns.

I honestly think you are right about that.

Moose-Knuckle
03-18-14, 21:50
I'll start listening to medical folks about the dangers of guns when they can do better than 210,000 deaths a year from preventable hospital errors.

http://journals.lww.com/journalpatientsafety/Fulltext/2013/09000/A_New,_Evidence_based_Estimate_of_Patient_Harms.2.aspx

LOL, yeah no kidding. Big pharma and modern medicine kill more Americans every year than a firearms.

As for the OP, just another piece brought to you in part by the Ministry of Propaganda.

Sensei
03-18-14, 22:11
LOL, yeah no kidding. Big pharma and modern medicine kill more Americans every year than a firearms.

Yet, you people keep coming back...;)

http://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/Reports/downloads/McCall_2004_3.pdf

SeriousStudent
03-18-14, 22:16
Not me - I pay cash, and don't even like taking aspirin. :p

Don Robison
03-18-14, 22:40
Yet, you people keep coming back...;)

http://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/Reports/downloads/McCall_2004_3.pdf

I'm not anti-doc or pharma; I like both, my best friend is an ER doc and we would still be dying of childhood diseases without pharma. I just don't like being BS'd by groups with an agenda and find it ironic that organizations like the AMA and AAP preach about the dangers of guns while their members are either the cause of or oversee those causing a low estimate of 17.4 deaths through error for every gun death of any type.

I'll admit I did post that somewhat in jest and lighthearted, but it's difficult to not see the irony in it.

whiterabbit05
03-18-14, 23:04
Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics.

Endur
03-18-14, 23:32
Not me - I pay cash, and don't even like taking aspirin. :p

I avoid all medication as much as possible.

Just imagine how many will read this article and take it as an absolute fact like it's apart of Newton's Laws of Physics.

Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics.

Truth.

BoringGuy45
03-18-14, 23:44
I'm not even going to waste my time reading that. My BS meter maxes out any time I read the phrases, "experts agree" "studies show" "statistics indicate" or "the overwhelming consensus is".

Mauser KAR98K
03-19-14, 00:33
That article can also point to that people will have a higher risk of being involved in a car accident once they buy a car.

Responsibilities is a must for both.

Maybe this is an indication that the country is getting more violent and depressed, yet we blame objects rather than ourselves and the bad influential cultures of our society.

Honu
03-19-14, 00:41
this exactly !!!!

SteyrAUG
03-19-14, 01:52
I'm not even going to waste my time reading that. My BS meter maxes out any time I read the phrases, "experts agree" "studies show" "statistics indicate" or "the overwhelming consensus is".

It's lonely being able to see it, isn't it. It saddens me how much that crap works on most people.

Belloc
03-19-14, 02:15

Most of this is already well known, but who knew Big Pharma invented Ben Franklin!;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG8RksCfxcw

The_War_Wagon
03-19-14, 06:30
Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics .

Lies, damn lies, and the lamestream media... :rolleyes:

montanadave
03-19-14, 07:38
Bullet cancer!?!

And all this time I thought it was only lead poisoning.

Those Big Pharma bastards.

MistWolf
03-19-14, 07:45
The statistics are taken from households that are involved in criminal activity- gangs, drugs etc. Take away those types of shootings and figures change dramatically. This is something that's been floating around for two or three decades and has been long since debunked

HackerF15E
03-19-14, 08:38
People who own/drive cars are also more likely to die in car accidents, as people who have swimming pools are more likely to have drowning accidents.

That article is finding bogeymen in pretty ordinary data.

_Stormin_
03-19-14, 09:40
The statistics are taken from households that are involved in criminal activity- gangs, drugs etc. Take away those types of shootings and figures change dramatically. This is something that's been floating around for two or three decades and has been long since debunked

This... Other environmental factors often contribute to the end result, and get ignored because of the researchers' bias towards an antigun hypothesis. Any high school freshman science student can tell you that correlation is not causation. Apparently these people missed that class.

Factor out people who use their firearms in commission of a crime, and suicides, and the numbers drop dramatically. IIRC if you're a law abiding gun owner without mental health issues (suicidal people are suicidal, the firearm doesn't "give them suicidal thoughts"), the numbers mirror the rest of the population. Normal people are normal...

Just look at the people running this story. The same network is running a story on their website on how "unqualified" Mitt Romney is to write an op-ed piece in the WSJ on the Ukraine situation, because of his lack of foreign policy experience. THE GUY THAT PREDICTED THE FREAKING FUTURE (sensationalism on my part) shouldn't have an opinion on how badly the President/SecState is handling it... You want to trust these folks for an honest and unbiased opinion?

davidjinks
03-19-14, 10:09
So basically they took studies from idiots and then studied those studies with idiots?

markm
03-19-14, 11:20
Medical Marijewanda is the answer. Keep puffing and quit gunning!

steyrman13
03-19-14, 11:24

Yeah that should help except for the report yesterday that people's pets in Washington state are overdosing and dying due to people leaving their stash laying out.

TAZ
03-19-14, 11:36
So basically they took studies from idiots and then studied those studies with idiots?

We have reached another level of laziness. People don't even have the work ethic to devise new screwy studies to further their agenda, but rehash old ones. Though Hollywierd were the only ones doing reruns.

The AMA and all other "medical" associations need to focus on their tasks. You know cure cancer, diabetes, that sort of shit. Guess trying to do something "real" is too much for them.

Irish
03-19-14, 11:50
We have reached another level of laziness. People don't even have the work ethic to devise new screwy studies to further their agenda, but rehash old ones. Though Hollywierd were the only ones doing reruns.

Nope, look at the American car industry.

C-grunt
03-19-14, 13:27
You are 100 percent more likely to die by falling into the Grand Canyon if you visit Arizona.

yellowfin
03-19-14, 14:06
It's lonely being able to see it, isn't it. It saddens me how much that crap works on most people.It saddens and frustrates me that we apparently haven't done our job enough to vanquish these threats against our rights and our culture.

Koshinn
03-19-14, 14:36
Any way to get the author fired for breach of journalistic integrity?

fixit69
03-19-14, 14:46
Any way to get the author fired for breach of journalistic integrity?

Possibly, but I think you would have to have some sort of integrity to breach. Actually spitting out this drivel shows the author has none.

davidjinks
03-19-14, 14:48
I think they've surpassed the medical weed brother. They went straight to huffing acid and it's working!

markm
03-19-14, 14:52
Yep. Being armed might give a person/family a sense of self reliance. That right there is reason enough to get rid of guns.

Moose-Knuckle
03-19-14, 17:08
Yep. Being armed might give a person/family a sense of self reliance. That right there is reason enough to get rid of guns.

Well that and unarmed serfs put it up much less of a fight than armed free men.

CrazyFingers
03-20-14, 08:59
According to the FBI (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-20), more people were murdered in my state in 2011 by this:

than by this:

This is something the Fist Industry won't tell you.