PDA

View Full Version : Vacum Packing Ammo?

LawDog
05-25-08, 13:15
My Wife has one of those food saver deals...I was thinking about vacum packing some of my extra SHTF ammo. Any thoughts?

jmart
05-25-08, 13:29
Well, if you're going to freeze it, go for it.;)

Really, I mean this seriously, get some ammo cans. Get some desiccant packs. And store the ammo in a cool, dry location. We're talking a climatically controlled home here, not some warehouse. Just keep it in your basement, high enough that if your hot water heater would let go or if you had a flood, it would still be protected. Ammo stored in this manner should last for years.

taliv
05-25-08, 15:59
nothing wrong with vacuum packing, especially if you already have the hardware. if you have DECENT ammo cans, jmart is right. most of the cans i see at the local army/navy surplus stores are pretty beat-up and rusted out. no real guarantees they're actually air tight, especially since the seals on half of them have been damaged.

markm
05-25-08, 23:39
This is a better question for the guys over on AR15.com.

Seriously... check with them.

LawDog
05-27-08, 12:23
Thanks. Message received.

markm
05-27-08, 12:36
I've seen it discussed over there. Although it's been a few years.

I personally don't see value in it. Good ammo cans are more than adequate.

johnson
05-27-08, 15:14
Will a good ammo can protect the ammo from moisture? The ones at the surplus store look like they have good seals.

markm
05-27-08, 15:36
Yes. You can throw some desipaks in there for additional protection too.

LawDog
05-27-08, 16:38
Desipaks can I pick these up local (homedepot,Lowes,Wally World) or do I have to order online(bass pro,brownells,etc)?
Kind of on the same topic, I am about to be the owner of a new/donated used safe that will be in my garage in Florida. It will be opened and closed a few times a day. Is it better to have one of those rods or desipacks or both.

Am I hijacking my own thread?