PDA

View Full Version : Your Input please G17 mods....possibly

adh
05-25-08, 15:08
I am more of a 1911 guy than otherwise, but I own and carry a G17 (sometimes) I have a 3rd gen G17 with factory night sights.

Pic attahced (got that to work this time:) )

The 1911 points and feels a lot better to me. I have also hated the sight picture on my G17 ever since I started shooting with it. So I am now considering a grip reduction and finger groove removal (by Broken Arrow Tactical as seen here on a gen I G17: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14556 ) and have decided to get a set of Warrent Tactical sights with a tritium front only.

So here's the question. Is it worth the investment. Someone suggested to me to just try the G19 over the G17, stating that the smaller grip may not feel as awkward to me as the G17. If any 1911 shooters out that can verify that, I'm thinking I might be better off seeing if I can swap my G17 for a G19 and just change out the sights and not make all the investment in a grip reduction that I may end up not being totally pleased with (granted it looks cool, but I'm real;ly looking for a different grip).

Hope all this makes sense. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

ADH

John_Wayne777
05-25-08, 15:46
The G19 is essentially a G17 with a little bit chopped off the end of the grip and the end of the slide/barrel assembly. The diameter of the grip is exactly the same as on the G17. The same is true for the G26.

If you are looking for a different grip feel from the G19 than you have with the G17, I don't believe you are going to get it. In my hands the G17 feels a bit better because there is more to hang on to than on the G19.

As far as modifications go, I did a little writeup about mods and parts that I find useful on Glock handguns:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=712902

As far as professional grip modifications go, I heartily endorse them. I'm not a huge fan of Glock pistols, but the Glocks I have handled over the years that I like the best have been ones that had grip reductions and beavertails done by someone like Robar or Bowie Tactical. The pictures in the thread you linked appear to be more of a stippling job than a grip reduction as that's an older, pre-finger groove Glock. I'd check with them to make sure they offer full grip reduction services.

A GOOD grip reduction is more than likely going to be something you won't regret having done....but it won't come cheap. Nothing good ever is. It will, however, change the feel of the grip dramatically. A full grip reduction job is going to reduce the overall circumference of the grip and a beavertail will allow your hand to ride lower under the gun than a stock grip....more along the lines of how a 1911 with a beavertail safety feels.

I'd suggest the Glock Tail as a try-and-see measure, but if I read you correct you're having issues with the circumference of the Glock grip as it is, and the Glock Tail will only make that worse.

If you are a 1911 guy, I'd also suggest taking a long hard look at the S&W M&P. It's the best performing polymer handgun I've ever tried and it's the handgun that is closest to replicating the performance of my pet 1911. With some light customization (Burwell or Bowie trigger job) you get a weapon that is about as easy to shoot as a 1911, but at a much lower cost.

The S&W M&P is essentially a product improved Glock. It takes the striker fired polymer handgun to new heights of ergonomic friendliness and shootability.

Lumpy196
05-25-08, 17:20
If you are looking for a different grip feel from the G19 than you have with the G17

To me it does. The demensions are only every so slightly different, but enough that its noticable to me. The back strap has a more gentle hump. The difference between a G17 and a G19 is ALMOST like a switching between flat and arched mainspring housings on a 1911.

Other than that, the grips are identical in feel to me.

This is all pretty much subjective. Some people find the differences dramatic, some can't feel them at all.

adh, try a 19 out. Thats the best you can do.

Hawkeye
05-25-08, 17:38
The 19 does feel a bit different to me. I'd definitely try one first, before doing all the 17 mods, if you have a chance.

G34Shooter
05-25-08, 21:00
The G19 is essentially a G17 with a little bit chopped off the end of the grip and the end of the slide/barrel assembly. The diameter of the grip is exactly the same as on the G17. The same is true for the G26.

I'll have to respectfully disagree and say that the G17 frame feels much better in my hand then the chubby feeling 19 where the backstrap starts to flare out earlier. It's as much of a difference to me that I'm trading my 19 for a 17 and will cut it to fit 19 magazines...

adh
05-26-08, 09:54
Thanks for all the good input....I think I will go to the gun store and check out the G19 (and maybe the M&P).....we'll see how that points and feels and then move on from there.

bullitt5172
05-27-08, 08:32
I definately shoot the 19 better than the 17. The backstrap "hump" isn't as big and it fits my hand better. I'm also a 1911 shooter...

Bowie Tactical
05-27-08, 18:15
If you want the grip to angle like a 1911 it needs to be a true full grip reduction. The one you mention is not a full reduction and will not angle like a 1911. I do full grip redcutions that are fully stippled. To my knowlwedge I am the only one in the industry that does. Others if you look only remove a small amount of the glock hump but do not straighten it fully to get a 1911 angle and nice small size. My grip reductions on the G-17 reduces the grip by over a half an inch. Robars are full reductions but use a coating on the frame instead of full polymer and stippled. My grip reduction allows me to shoot my G-17 and my 1911 with almost no thought for the change.

CHECK 360
David Bowie
Bowie Tactical Concepts.

Colt6920
05-27-08, 21:06
Off topic

Striker5
05-28-08, 12:22
My Glock 17 mods are:
Glock 19 grip reduction (just the cut, no stippling)
Ameriglo sights w/ wide rear notch
both done by Mr. Bowie.
I added the TD/Vickers mag catch.

I too like the 19's feel better than the 17's. I now have the best of both worlds.

JonInWA
05-28-08, 13:32
1) Replace polymer sights (especially the front sight) with steel sights of choice.

2) Replace flat slide release with Glock extended slide release (unless using an aggressive "thumbs forward" hold would screw things up for you).

3) Dryfire practice

4) Train

5) Participate in competitions with it.

These activities should be determinative as to whether you really need any further work.

Best, Jon