PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon HD or Ameriglo Spartan Tactical(ish)

Packeagle
03-21-14, 14:47
I am looking for a better sight for my Glock 22. I currently have a white 3 dot with green lamps, marked Trijicon. This came on the 22 when I got it from the MDOC trade in. I am looking to update as the lamps seem dim and front sight isn't all that easy to pick up, due to the white ring fading.

I'm looking at the Trijicon HD sights. I have similar sights, Ameriglo Pro Operator Rear (yellow lamps) and a Orange Square Pro Glow front (Green lamp) on my CCW, a Glock 27.

I like this setup, but think maybe the serrated rear would be beneficial, but I like the less intense yellow tritium rear of the Ameriglo.

I like the square painted front and square rear of the Ameriglo, but the round front, U rear of the HD may be equally as good.

What other differences am I missing? Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards duplicating the Ameriglo setup on my 22, but the HDs are more really available and very similar.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SiGfever
03-21-14, 15:28
I run the Ameriglo yellow Pro Operator rear and orange ProGlo front on my G19. I run the Ameriglo Pro-Idot yellow rear and lime front on my EDC G26. I like both but the Pro Operators seem to hang up less on clothing, but racking the slide with the rear sights might be tougher.

Kenneth
03-21-14, 15:32
I have the HD's on a MP9 and I like them but I find the rear vials to be distracting. I am tempted to keep the front and get a blank rear.

sammage
03-21-14, 15:36
I have the HD's on a MP9 and I like them but I find the rear vials to be distracting. I am tempted to keep the front and get a blank rear.
You might try hitting the rears with a red sharpie to dim them down a little.

The Ameriglo Pro Glo front with Pro Operator rears is a great combo for Glocks, and pretty low profile. The Trijicon HDs were a little too tall for my liking.

Packeagle
03-21-14, 15:37

This is good feedback. Do you mean the green is distracting or the vials in daylight? I like the yellow as I feel its less distracting, but I do get a bit off glare off the vials in the sun.

I used the 3 dot at an indoor IDPA and it was hard to pick up he front sight in low light. I could see it, but it blended with the rears.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SpeedRacer
03-21-14, 16:14
I love the Ameriglo Hackathorns, don't really see a need for tritium in the rear.

thopkins22
03-21-14, 16:22
Off topic a bit, but it's relatively easy to use an exacto knife and cut an appropriate sized piece of 3M reflective tape in whatever color suits you to make the front sight pop again. Paint pens work pretty well for this too, they're easier to apply, but don't pop quite as much.

Kenneth
03-21-14, 16:30
The front sight is awesome and very easy to see but in daylight the rear is distracting. It's due to the vials but really it's just my problem most likely. I am used to shooting a blank rear with a skinny fiber optic front so the HD's are a big change for me.

I will say though that the rear sight is awesome when racking the slide off of my holster or belt.

WickedWillis
03-21-14, 18:22
I have the Trijicon HD's on my Glock 19 and I really do love them. I have the orange front, and target acquisition is extremely fast. and the Tritium is bright as well. I bought them because I was having trouble focusing on a standard all flat-white 3-dot sight picture at a range trip a few months ago. The only downside that I would say is the price. You can get some other fantastic night sights for much less.

teutonicpolymer
03-21-14, 18:46
check out the ameriglo hackathorns

my favorite sights thus far are the ameriglo defoor tacticals but they become hard to use at lower light levels (they are plain irons with serrated front). for $30 I could not ask for more and I would definitely buy them again as a budget choice. the hackathorns seem to be the logical next step since they have a flat black rear and trit vial up front with orange ring.

I also have some trijicon 3 dots but I don't care for them. at night the rear two dots are distracting and during the day the story is the same.

I also have some dawson sights. superb quality. in the future I see the black charger rear with a trit front as an option.

Eurodriver
03-21-14, 18:47
I have both and I prefer the Ameriglo.

Voodoo_Man
03-21-14, 18:53
http://i.imgur.com/zXWzzRt.jpg

HD's.

Awesome.

RWH24
03-21-14, 19:50
No experience with Ameriglo, but here is the HD's IhadGrant install when I bought my M&P at Christmas.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/9916512/408475651.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/9916512/408475650.jpg

RWH24
03-21-14, 20:00
Factory Sights on my M&P9 PRO 5". Green F/O front and serrated rear blade.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/9916512/409052385.jpg

tdoom15
03-21-14, 21:44
My glock 19s wear Ameriglo I dots, and the 17 has heinie tritium front and blank serrated rear. I like the i dot set up as I do find having some sort of reference point on the rear sight does aid in low light shooting for me, in addition it's also not distracting during the day.

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab246/apexdbetta2/20140308_153153_zps747f5e83.jpg

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab246/apexdbetta2/20140308_153024_zps49619e4e.jpg

Big A
03-22-14, 16:18
I have the Spartans on my G17 &19 and I like them. I'm thinking about a custom set of Ameriglo with the pro I-dot front and yellow spartan rear for my G26.

My cousin has the Trijicon HD's on his G19 and they are very nice as well but I think I prefer the square notch rear of the ameriglos.

t1tan
03-22-14, 17:25
I used the Ameriglo Hackathorns and loved how bright and visible the front was, but I just don't like how wide these fronts are by both companies so I went to 10-8s on everything.

ruddyhair
03-22-14, 19:46
I too was between both options and went with HD's. At first I was concerned with longer accuracy reports by some. Not to mention their being so expensive, but have been pleasantly surprised since putting them on. Very bright with fast acquisition. An all around solid choice. I've not had accuracy difficulties at medium to longer distances.

walkin' trails
03-22-14, 20:16
I'm a long time Heinie user, but an associate showed me his new HDs on his new G22 and I was impressed. I now have a set on (back) order for my G26. They are pricy, hope they're worth the wait.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

thatpanda
03-25-14, 19:08
I purchased hack sights back in 2010 and I was happy with them until I tried shooting in the dark. Before the hack sights I had standard trijicons and anytime I tried to press out and acquire my sight picture my eyes would always try and focus on the rear sights. The hack sights fixed my press out issue but made the gun difficult to shoot in low light unless I used a neck index on my flashlight to illuminate my sights. Two years ago I purchased yellow pro operator rears to go with my hack fronts (spartan tactical) and I fell in love with the setup. The pro operator rear does not hurt my ability to acquire the front sight since there's no outline around the tritium vials, and shooting in low light is no longer an issue. The only issue I have with the sights is the fronts are very wide, .140 I believe which covers a lot of target at longer ranges. I've never actually measured but I would say the front sights cover about 6 inches or more at 25 yards which makes shooting tight groups at longer distance difficult. On the other hand I've shot 8 inch steel plates consistently at fifty yards with this setup so they're accurate enough. Speed at 15 yards and in is very fast. Overall I haven't found a better setup and I'm very happy with the sights. I guess my ideal setup would be a thinner proglo front to help in the long distance accuracy department, but since that isn't available the current setup works just fine. I haven't tried trijicon hd sights but I don't really see any reason they would be any better except maybe the U notch rear.

Ron3
04-21-14, 18:31
As a preamble I've had low-light pistol training from several insructors.

I'm looking to get some sights for a new Glock. I thought about the HD's and spent hours researching online, shooting different sights, and checking out various light conditions with various sights. I'm exhausted and STILL have not decided. But I have made some conclusions:

-None of them are perfect.
-Too many lines, dots, and/or colors are distracting to me.
-Big bright front sights are great low-light, and pick up quick in the daytime. But being so wide some accuracy is left on the table.
-Narrow front sights pick up well with a wide rear, and are very accurate. These only apply if you have very good lighting and good eyes.
-Only simple and dim rear markings or tritium is acceptable on rear sights. I find it distracting and prefer a plain rear sight.
-Simple is good.

So the choices are:

-Accurate, fine, simple, fast day-time only sights that suck in low-light
-Big, bright colorful complex sights with paint and tritium that are less accurate and slower all the time but are very visible day and night
-Tritium sights without paint that are nice in low light but kinda big and less accurate in daylight
-Use what the gun came with, buy more ammo, range time, or training. And consider light and laser options.

Maybe some of us are spending too much time and money concerning ourselves with this particular piece of gear?

btw I did a google search for "night sights saved my life" and couldn't find one story. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened I suppose..

scoutchris
04-21-14, 19:18
I put the Hackathorns on my G19. As a former Sniper and USPSA shooter I was concerned with accuracy... First trip to the range I was making 25m headshots with both eyes open. Get 'em and don't look back.

teutonicpolymer
04-21-14, 19:21
I think sights are the most significant upgrade that can be made so I don't think it is being overthought

I also still think the best option is plain black rear with some kind of painted night sight up front

MegademiC
04-21-14, 21:26
I wouldn't worry about the 'accuracy' of sights. You get a good sight pic and center the target on the post. I was worried about accuracy with my idot pros, until I shot a 3" 5 shot group @ 25yds followed by 5 more within 8" at 50yds (stock M&P40 other than sights, and TULA ammo). This is the best I ever shot(last time out at that distance). You may not be accurate with them, as I see many people say this, but my experience is that the sights will not hold you back - unless your doing bullseye comps, maybe.

I found speed - mainly having something your eye will snap focus onto is the biggest variability of sights, so I recommend something like ameriglo pros or trij HDs. Keep in mind, im no expert - I just shoot for fun.

BioLayne
04-21-14, 22:16
My glock 19s wear Ameriglo I dots, and the 17 has heinie tritium front and blank serrated rear. I like the i dot set up as I do find having some sort of reference point on the rear sight does aid in low light shooting for me, in addition it's also not distracting during the day.

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab246/apexdbetta2/20140308_153153_zps747f5e83.jpg

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab246/apexdbetta2/20140308_153024_zps49619e4e.jpg

I love my idot pros... run them on all my handguns

Ron3
04-22-14, 00:12
Those IDOT's got my attention, I like them.

I'm going to give a .123 wide tritium with green square paint front with a black .164 wide plain black rear a try.

My understanding is IDOT Pro's use a .140 front sight and the IDOT (non-pro) uses a .125 front sight. Both use a .180 wide rear and all fronts and rears have tritium.

I'd post a pic when I get them but I've got to post about 338 more times I think!