PDA

View Full Version : what to do?

DSR1
03-21-14, 19:34
if you could choose between doing a custom build or picking up a new SR15E3 MOD1 which would you do and why?

MistWolf
03-21-14, 19:37
I would go with whichever option got me the rifle in the configuration I wanted

LewP
03-21-14, 20:04
There are two motivators for doing a custom build:
1) You have unique needs that are not being serviced by the available products and that would require significant additional spending to customize to your requirements.
2) You want to learn how to build your upper/rifle yourself.

In the case of 1), it's very doubtful that you won't be able to find a KAC, Colt, BCM, DD, Noveske, Sionics solution that could be easily customized to meet your needs.
In that case of 2), be prepared to spend a significant amount of money on tools and the time investment to learn how to use them.

If you think doing a quality custom build is "cheaper", think again.

_Stormin_
03-21-14, 20:06
The build... That means there's one more SR15 on the market when I go to buy one...

The answers above mine are the right ones.

DSR1
03-21-14, 20:22
I'm probably going to pick up the knights. the only reason I considered the build was a good friend of mine offered to put it all together for me. and yes he does have all the tools and knowledge. my budget for a build would be somewhere in the 2k range. I was just curious to here a few more opinions. I was going to use either vltor receiver upper and lower or a noveske set along with a noveske barrel and ssa trigger.

Zane1844
03-21-14, 20:22
Well if you want the longer midlength- I believe the KAC uses their own midlength, length- their special bolt, and the ambi-controls then the KAC is the way to go.

Personally, I would buy a lower, build it up, then find a upper that met my needs.

MistWolf
03-21-14, 22:29
If you're gonna go through the trouble of building the lower how you like it, might as well build the upper too

discreet
03-21-14, 23:07
For me, I'd just do it myself.

Unless your buddy is a certified armorer, probably best just to either learn to build your own and figure your stuff out on your way (if this is the path you want to take), or pick up one of the best complete guns around. All depends on whether you enjoy learning to build things more then just buying something and shooting it. IMO there is no point to have a friend build you something as you won't learn much as your not building it yourself.

IMO just get the SR.

Kissel
03-22-14, 03:28
Knights.

nick84
03-22-14, 08:06
Get the SR. Then if the learning bug hits you, you can always learn by taking it apart and reassembling....just don't go too fast.

fivepointoh
03-22-14, 15:04
Price out the build you want, then price the KAC. I often hear people saying KAC products are expensive, and they're both right, and wrong. Yes certain mounts, accessories, etc are/can be expensive, and also very rare. With that said, I tell you to price out your custom build and see where it is compared to the SR-15. I don't think you'll get in cheaper with a similar setup, going custom.

Off the top of my head this is what you get for the Mod 1's

Ambi lower, 2 stage match trigger, E3 bolt, SOPMOD stock, 13.5" rail with rail panels/covers, nicely tuned gas system, BUIS, QD receiver end plate, a very lightweight package, case, 30 round mag, and AWESOME customer service.

If you add up all the "features" of the mod 1 and try to do a custom build with a rail, match trigger, BUIS, SOPMOD, etc...you will definitely be over the $1900 to $2100 Mod 1's are going for.

VIP3R 237
03-22-14, 15:12
Out of the box there is not a rifle that gives you more than an SR15. There is just something almost magic about that rifle. It is the ultimate combination of smoothness, reliability, and handling.

Price out the build you want, then price the KAC. I often hear people saying KAC products are expensive, and they're both right, and wrong. Yes certain mounts, accessories, etc are/can be expensive, and also very rare. With that said, I tell you to price out your custom build and see where it is compared to the SR-15. I don't think you'll get in cheaper with a similar setup, going custom.

Off the top of my head this is what you get for the Mod 1's

Ambi lower, 2 stage match trigger, E3 bolt, SOPMOD stock, 13.5" rail with rail panels/covers, nicely tuned gas system, BUIS, QD receiver end plate, a very lightweight package, case, 30 round mag, and AWESOME customer service.

If you add up all the "features" of the mod 1 and try to do a custom build with a rail, match trigger, BUIS, SOPMOD, etc...you will definitely be over the $1900 to $2100 Mod 1's are going for.

Being a KAC dealer I hear the cost complaint all the time, but when I break down the cost for the customer most of the time they will spend more than the asking price, but without the E3 bolt and tuned gas system.

fivepointoh
03-22-14, 15:23
Being a KAC dealer I hear the cost complaint all the time, but when I break down the cost for the customer most of the time they will spend more than the asking price, but without the E3 bolt and tuned gas system.

Agreed. Individual KAC parts by themselves can be pricey...some times. But honestly the Mod 1 is a damn bargain if you ask me.

basilhayden
03-22-14, 21:10
I was debating an SR15 or a noveske build. I started acquiring the parts for the noveske but kept thinking about the Knights and the ambi lower and soft shooting gas system and the sights that come with it, etc, etc. I decided to change directions midstream and ordered the Knights and am glad I did. When you factor in everything that you get with the gun, it is actually a good buy in my opinion. It really is a sweet gun and I would buy one again in a minute.

Voodoo_Man
03-22-14, 21:14
There is a nothing like an SR15.

Get it.

http://i.imgur.com/3qfd5.jpg

discreet
03-22-14, 21:33
Get the SR. Then if the learning bug hits you, you can always learn by taking it apart and reassembling....just don't go too fast.

LOL because you want to learn how to work on an AR by ****ing with a KAC LOL.

IMO custom builds can quickly skyrocket well past the KAC. IMO SR is a great idea, when build up a lower grade AR to learn on.

Failure2Stop
03-22-14, 21:44

If you are willing to buy the tools, replacement parts, and go to an armorer's course.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

ThinIce
03-22-14, 23:43
Get the KAC and don't look back! You will have no regrets with the SR-15.