PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on AR Build

big_pErm
03-22-14, 07:55
I am hoping on some advice for a new build. I currently own a Daniel Defense v7 with an a Aimpoint Pro. I recently acquired a Spike's stripped lower at a deal I couldn't refuse from a friend.

I would like to have one option setup for longer range range shooting (500 yds max)

So my choices are to

#1 - build the spikes lower up to an SPR style setup and call it a day. If I go this route is there any disadvantage to using the spikes lower? I have always read a lower is a lower as long as it is built from quality materials.

#2 - buy a nice piece of glass for the DDM4v7 and use that in the SPR role. I have read the accuracy difference between 16" vs 18" would be minimal especially in the ranges I intend to use. I would then build the SPike's lower into an AR pistol with the sig arm brace to serve as a quasi SBR. This would mostly stay in my truck and be my primary get home weapon

Either way this would be my first ground up AR build, I am going to be patient and buy the right components. But I want to do this build right the first time. Any advice from members who have similar setups would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ironbutt
03-22-14, 08:16
Just my opinion, but if you want a good all around precision build, I'd build the lower using the stock of your choice for precision shooting & a Geissele SSA-E trigger; then get a BCM RECCE 16" precision upper. Add the best glass you can afford & call it a day.

SilverBullet432
03-22-14, 08:39
+1 for REECE, I think (Trident82) has videos showing him hitting steel at long ranges with both an SPR and REECE. BCM makes great REECE uppers.

ETA: BCM has SPR uppers in-stock! :dance3:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=131

big_pErm
03-22-14, 09:27
Thoughts on the new Armalite M15TB upper?

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=U15TB&Category=bce7fa68-373e-4afc-b00e-63fe2c75d131

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
03-22-14, 13:00
Stay away from Armalite. You'll thank me later.

Thoughts on the new Armalite M15TB upper?

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=U15TB&Category=bce7fa68-373e-4afc-b00e-63fe2c75d131

Iraqgunz
03-22-14, 13:04
Can you be more specific about "long range set up"? If you put a magnified optic on your AR and used good ammo you would easily be able to hit 500 yards. As a matter of fact it can also be accomplished with iron sights assuming you can shoot.

If you are talking about a dedicated longer range AR (something like an SPR) I would stick with the BCM. Or get one of the stripped 16" 1/8 barrels, an upper, a Geissele MK II rail, and be done with it. Or the KMR upper with that barrel.

I am hoping on some advice for a new build. I currently own a Daniel Defense v7 with an a Aimpoint Pro. I recently acquired a Spike's stripped lower at a deal I couldn't refuse from a friend.

I would like to have one option setup for longer range range shooting (500 yds max)

So my choices are to

#1 - build the spikes lower up to an SPR style setup and call it a day. If I go this route is there any disadvantage to using the spikes lower? I have always read a lower is a lower as long as it is built from quality materials.

#2 - buy a nice piece of glass for the DDM4v7 and use that in the SPR role. I have read the accuracy difference between 16" vs 18" would be minimal especially in the ranges I intend to use. I would then build the SPike's lower into an AR pistol with the sig arm brace to serve as a quasi SBR. This would mostly stay in my truck and be my primary get home weapon

Either way this would be my first ground up AR build, I am going to be patient and buy the right components. But I want to do this build right the first time. Any advice from members who have similar setups would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

big_pErm
03-22-14, 14:13
Long range is no more than 500, my main range is 250 and with my DDM4v7 and aimpoint is more than attainable. I am looking for something to shoot more accurately out to 500

This would be a dedicated longer range (like an spr).

Thanks for the feedback

LewP
03-22-14, 21:14
What IG said.

Short of going with a Bartlein, Lilja, etc. barrel you'd be hard pressed to find a better price/performance solution than this http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Upper-KMR13-p/bcm-urg-mid16-ss410-kmr13.htm

The lightweight KMR rail helps mitigate some of the weight of the SS barrel. I just installed a 13" KMR on a 16" Ranier SS barrel and I really, really like it. She moves pretty well for a fat girl ;)

Signal_Zero
03-23-14, 13:10
Nothing wrong with using the Spikes lower.