PDA

View Full Version : magpul ladder rail covers vs ergo covers

jbroberson21
03-22-14, 14:09
I recently bought a couple rail covers that were marked in the store as magpul covers but were just in a plain plastic bag. I got them home and after opening them they felt nothing at all like the known magpul covers I have. I did some research and found out that ergo makes magpuls covers and the magpul ones still have ergo molded on the back. The one that I know is actually magpul is much softer and has a rubber type feel to it. The most recent ones are much harder and have a slick plastic feel to them. My question is are the ergo brand covers made with the same compound as the ones they make for magpul. I'm not sure if they're a different compound or if they just vary that much from batch to batch.

Outlander Systems
03-22-14, 15:17
I recently bought a couple rail covers that were marked in the store as magpul covers but were just in a plain plastic bag. I got them home and after opening them they felt nothing at all like the known magpul covers I have. I did some research and found out that ergo makes magpuls covers and the magpul ones still have ergo molded on the back. The one that I know is actually magpul is much softer and has a rubber type feel to it. The most recent ones are much harder and have a slick plastic feel to them. My question is are the ergo brand covers made with the same compound as the ones they make for magpul. I'm not sure if they're a different compound or if they just vary that much from batch to batch.

Overthinking it.

Do they do what they are supposed to? We are venturing into wine-tasting territory here.

Scrubber3
03-22-14, 16:58
Ergo and magpul are one in the same. They feel identical. The soft ones you speak of are the cheap,Chinese knockoffs.

jbroberson21
03-22-14, 18:24
Ergo and magpul are one in the same. They feel identical. The soft ones you speak of are the cheap,Chinese knockoffs.

Well the softer ones I'm talking about came from midway so I really don't think they would be knock offs.

PaLEOjd
03-22-14, 21:26
Well the softer ones I'm talking about came from midway so I really don't think they would be knock offs.

Some feel different than others. According to the customerm service at Ergo, it can depend on which batch the Ergo/Magpul covers came from. They also stated that they may vary slightly in color....If they work as they should, I would not worry about it, you should not have an issue.

EDIT : Just received a set of Magpul marked covers, and Ergo marked covers today, 3/25. Neither set is soft, they are all hard plastic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

discreet
03-22-14, 21:30
Ergo branded ones imo are better than magpul anyways. More colors, longer panels, and cheaper.

IMO however I will never ever again buy authentic Magpul ladder covers. I have knockoffs that are absolutely identical in feeling, makeup, and even color of the Magpul covers and was 6$ for 4 panels.

Already spent over 150$ on authentic rail covers... well ain't doing that again. One department where Chinese knockoffs actually can be just as good as the legit ones. I prefer to fund Magpul via buying their mags and afg's and not wasting money on stupid crap.

Jmacken37
03-23-14, 20:36
For my little weenie hands, the surefire ladder covers are the cats ass. Very soft and have a nice profile, too.

mrvco
03-23-14, 23:06
I didn't think that Magpul made their own ladder rail covers. If that is actually the case, then they all probably come from the same factory and the knock-offs are seconds and over-runs.

discreet
03-23-14, 23:43
I didn't think that Magpul made their own ladder rail covers. If that is actually the case, then they all probably come from the same factory and the knock-offs are seconds and over-runs.

It's well known Magpul doesn't make them. Ergo/Falcon make them for Magpul. They partmer with Magpul on several things,

And no the knockoffs are not overuns etc. The knockoffs are made of a different material 99% of the time but in the end can feel identical feel and strength wise to the legit ones.

CoryCop25
03-23-14, 23:46
Ergo holds the patent on ladder rail covers. They have and will sue any company that copies them.

discreet
03-24-14, 01:29
They have and will sue any company that copies them.

LOL!!! Welcome to the world of international Knockoffs. Good luck suing companies in questionable countries.

This ONLY applies in countries that honor ours and international patents. Same boat for all other parts. Do you really think most factories in China etc give a ratts... (because they know companies in the US can't do squat).

Look at products like Apple, Samsung etc who are gazillion times larger than Ergo/Falcon that are always knocked off of. They can't even remotely keep a lid on the fake ordeal so do you really think a smaller gun company will?

CoryCop25
03-24-14, 05:28
I am not saying that there aren't copies, I am saying that this is why Magpul (a US company) markets Ergo ladder rails.

Failure2Stop
03-24-14, 08:13
LOL!!! Welcome to the world of international Knockoffs. Good luck suing companies in questionable countries.

This ONLY applies in countries that honor ours and international patents. Same boat for all other parts. Do you really think most factories in China etc give a ratts... (because they know companies in the US can't do squat).

Look at products like Apple, Samsung etc who are gazillion times larger than Ergo/Falcon that are always knocked off of. They can't even remotely keep a lid on the fake ordeal so do you really think a smaller gun company will?

The only reason that these companies that steal the intellectual property of American companies and succeed is because American consumers buy it.
I can't believe how we can complain about the US economy out of one side of our mouths and then espouse Chinese Knock-Offs out of the other side.
I have found the problem, and it is us.

discreet
03-24-14, 08:29
The only reason that these companies that steal the intellectual property of American companies and succeed is because American consumers buy it.
I can't believe how we can complain about the US economy out of one side of our mouths and then espouse Chinese Knock-Offs out of the other side.
I have found the problem, and it is us.

I couldn't agree more.

Americans are constantly feeding the issue by purchasing more and more chinese crap. The one and only chinese imitation I have no issue purchasing is ladder covers. I've picked enough up in all colors that I should never need to get any more down to road for any build. Reasoning for this is it has freed up money to pick up other stuff during the panic, like a boat load of Pmags and Brownells mags :)

It is disturbing to see gunshows be absolutely flooded with everything chinese. You'd think something so American like a gun show would be different, but it's the opposite now. Fake everything, from barrels, to sights, to rails, heck, it's to the point the entire gun is knocked off now minus the receivers in some cases. I'm all for finding better deals on somethings that are obviously over priced like rail covers, but good grief there is a ton of crap flooding the market like the Raptors etc.

I'm still a little puzzled to why MP is marking their covers up so much compared to Ergo. I wonder if Magpul can chime in about that.

Failure2Stop
03-24-14, 08:38
I'm still a little puzzled to why MP is marking their covers up so much compared to Ergo. I wonder if Magpul can chime in about that.

If MagPul is making them on their own, they will pay Ergo for licensing, as MagPul is an honorable and ethical company.
However, I don't think that MagPul is producing them themselves, which means that they have to buy them from Ergo, have them shipped, inventory them, store them, insure them, repackage them, market them, sell them, pull them from inventory, and prepare them for shipping. Each step has a touch fee associated with it. Want Americans to earn more than $2 per hour? Then you're going to pay for it in the services you have performed and the products you buy.
Either pay more for stuff that comes from here or send it all overseas, that's the reality of the marketplace.
I could go on a significant diatribe on how we are destroying our own economy, but I will leave it with the concept that every time you send money to China, that money will never come back to the US.

jbroberson21
03-24-14, 14:05
OK. So there's been one post insulting me, one from a know if all who doesn't know what they're Talkings about one guess that provides no useful info at all, a long spew of personal opinion that does nothing to actually answer the question I asked, a plug for a brand I never mentioned, then another 8 posts that still don't even touch on an answer to my question. Does anyone here have anything useful to add here that might include actual knowledge about the question I asked and not just speculation or insults for even asking a question that I have legit reasons for wanting an answer to?

Failure2Stop
03-24-14, 14:13
OK. So there's been one post insulting me, one from a know if all who doesn't know what they're Talkings about one guess that provides no useful info at all, a long spew of personal opinion that does nothing to actually answer the question I asked, a plug for a brand I never mentioned, then another 8 posts that still don't even touch on an answer to my question. Does anyone here have anything useful to add here that might include actual knowledge about the question I asked and not just speculation or insults for even asking a question that I have legit reasons for wanting an answer to?

It's the nature of internet forums.

Manufacturers go through design and material changes through the life of a product.
Nobody except the manufacturer will know for certain why the difference between different lots.
Your best source for that information would be Ergo and/or Magpul if you don't want folks to lend their opinions.

discreet
03-24-14, 18:50

My authentic Magpul ladder covers came in clear plastic bags. My ergo covers, came in clear plastic bags My knockoff ladder covers came in guess what.... clear plastic bags.

Point in this... buy from a reputable dealer and you won't have to ask these questions.

Best not to ask opinions on stuff if your not willing to sort through them. The only place you will get a straight on answer to what you have being legit or not is to contact the mfg. No one on here will be able to say otherwise from pics or not as the generic ones I have were packed the same and look absolutely identical to the real thing.

Basically what I was trying to do was nicely say who gives a ratts ass. If they work, fit tight, and feel good. Does it honestly matter in the end asides from the $ side of things? You have them now. Unless you got them from reputable store are you really going to take the time messaging mfg's, dealing with returns etc all just for some ladder rail covers? These aren't aimpoints, they are rubber covers.

Hkbeltfed
03-24-14, 19:12
Americans are constantly feeding the issue by purchasing more and more chinese crap.

Immediately followed by...

The one and only chinese imitation I have no issue purchasing is ladder covers.

Do you realize you're "feeding the issue"?

discreet
03-24-14, 19:24
Immediately followed by...

Do you realize you're "feeding the issue"?
Yes, and for 6$ a gun I could give a hoot less. Not critical part. It's a strip of rubber. I'd rather use the money on Magazines. 6$ is a lot better than 50-60$. I turn around and buy 5 or so Pmags. You still think magpul is losing out then?

WaldoOneFive
03-24-14, 21:48
I've gotten ones marked as Magpul ones that were harder plastic feel, and that also do NOT fit in between the rail gaps, and those were marked "Ergo" on them.. The ones that I KNEW to be the real Magpul ones were soft as you described and fit in the rails nicely. I've thrown out all those crappy ones that don't fit.

jbroberson21
03-24-14, 21:53
I've gotten ones marked as Magpul ones that were harder plastic feel, and that also do NOT fit in between the rail gaps, and those were marked "Ergo" on them.. The ones that I KNEW to be the real Magpul ones were soft as you described and fit in the rails nicely. I've thrown out all those crappy ones that don't fit.

How were the two packaged? The ones I'm sure about were in a hard plastic pack with magpul paperwork in the package. The ones I'm not were just in a bag.

WaldoOneFive
03-24-14, 21:56
How were the two packaged? The ones I'm sure about were in a hard plastic pack with magpul paperwork in the package. The ones I'm not were just in a bag.

Yes, same... The crappy ones were in a rectangle clear zip-lock style bag with a white label on the outside, black text only and UPC.

discreet
03-24-14, 22:07

The ones marked ergo ARE genuine Magpul if purchased from a reliable source. There is a reason I was saying Ergo/Falcon as they are one the same.

Read the product description :)

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG013/174

The magpul covers also shouldn't be super soft either. That is a sign of knockoff in some cases.

NYH1
03-27-14, 01:56
I was at Dick's the other day and bought 3 Blackhawk low profile ladder rail covers. I don't know who made them but they're marked "made in the USA" in the upper corner of the package. They were $7 ea. Next time I'm around there I'm going to stop in and grab a few more. I like the way they feel. The Magpul ladder rail covers around here are $12.

NYH1.

WaldoOneFive
03-27-14, 08:56
The ones marked ergo ARE genuine Magpul if purchased from a reliable source. There is a reason I was saying Ergo/Falcon as they are one the same.

Read the product description :)

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG013/174

The magpul covers also shouldn't be super soft either. That is a sign of knockoff in some cases.

You're right, I failed. I just looked again, and wrote that post backwards... the ones that fit nicely are Magpul and marked "Ergo"... the crappy ones have no markings.

NYH1
03-27-14, 23:37
Yeah my Blackhawk ladder rail covers I just bought at Dick's say "Ergo Grips" and "made in the USA" on them as well.

NYH1.

discreet
03-28-14, 04:54
Yeah my Blackhawk ladder rail covers I just bought at Dick's say "Ergo Grips" and "made in the USA" on them as well.

NYH1.

Yuppers. Blackhawk uses Ergo/Falcon for a few things. All legit and great thing about it, available at many places like wallyworld etc.

aguila327
03-28-14, 06:41
Overthinking it.

Do they do what they are supposed to? We are venturing into wine-tasting territory here.

Again

Wolfpack45
03-28-14, 07:25
For my little weenie hands, the surefire ladder covers are the cats ass. Very soft and have a nice profile, too.

Yep. Love the surefires. Just wish they had FDE ones.

Ron3
03-31-14, 22:19
Thanks for asking because I need some and it seemed many were overpriced. Now I know they are.

SgtRock
04-01-14, 10:00
Think I'm going to try a set of Surefire ones as recommended above.. Cat's arse.. that's major stamp of approval..

Jmacken37
04-01-14, 10:02
Think I'm going to try a set of Surefire ones as recommended above.. Cat's arse.. that's major stamp of approval..

Try them...you won't go back to hard rubber...unless that's your thing! :-)