PDA

View Full Version : Aero Precision Ambi Lower Gen2 Review

VIP3R 237
03-22-14, 17:25
Hey gents, this is a quick and easy review of Aero Precision's Ambi Lower Gen2.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/20140322_154045_zps4ee1348a.jpg

As a left/satan handed shooter I am always on the lookout for products to make my job easier. I have also collected an assortment of lowers looking for the perfect setup, but most lack a way to lock the bolt to the rear, and the ones which do are uber $.

That is until now.

Aero has released their Gen2 lower that has a nifty bolt catch/release design called the PDQ that comes standard with this lower, and is available for purchase separately and after some modifications to your lower will work with most milspec style lowers. This not only releases your bolt, it also allows the shooter to lock it back using their index finger.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/20140317_113011_zps0eefef50.jpg

As you lift up on the PDQ it raises the bolt catch into the locking position.
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/20140317_113129_zps06bada10.jpg

This lower is also compatible with Battle Arms development's amazing Short Throw Selectors without modification to the selector barrel.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/20140317_113023_zps21f20e17.jpg

After I received this lower I installed goodies from many of the forum sponsors and overall good guys (I still need a set of BAD EPS pins ;) hint hint Roger) and converted it into a pistol configuration until my tax stamp comes in the mail. I tried running it at a local fun match but my scores weren't so great which I blame on it being a pistol instead of a rifle, because it couldn't be shooter error at all :sarcastic:

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/20140322_162948_zpsf4de8b4a.jpg

Over all I am impressed with the design of this lower, and at a price point of $165 it is a bargain.

jaxman7
03-22-14, 19:23
Nice review bro!

Yeah the notch on the selector barrel hole is a nice touch. Like I told you the other day, would really like to try out this lower.

One important question. Can you put a BAD lever on it?! ;)

-Jax

Yojimbo
03-22-14, 19:32
Very nice, I will be getting one of those lowers soon. How is the mag well? Ay issues dropping USGI or PMAGs?

VIP3R 237
03-22-14, 23:58
Nice review bro!

Yeah the notch on the selector barrel hole is a nice touch. Like I told you the other day, would really like to try out this lower.

One important question. Can you put a BAD lever on it?! ;)

-Jax

Haha I might be able to put 2 bad levers on this it's that awesome!

Very nice, I will be getting one of those lowers soon. How is the mag well? Ay issues dropping USGI or PMAGs?

I have none so far. I have used Troy battlemags, Gen 2 and 3 Pmags, and Lancer AWM's. I will have to dig up a USGI mag to try it out, I only have a couple.

MorphCross
03-23-14, 00:29
As a fellow satan-hander I approve. $165 beats the hell out of $750 for a KAC SR15 lower, even if the KAC lower comes "fully loaded."

Just out of curiosity, how does the right-side bolt release/lock "feel?" Would you say it is as sturdy as the standard left side paddle?

Stickman
03-23-14, 00:31
No pictures of what it looks like? You are killing me....

VIP3R 237
03-23-14, 01:34
No pictures of what it looks like? You are killing me....

Stick I am confused, I put up a couple pictures. Are they not showing up?

sva01
03-23-14, 08:16

I see them.

Can you buy the bolt catch separately?

Ryno12
03-23-14, 08:57

Maybe he's referring to the magwell.

Sent via Tapatalk

krichbaum
03-23-14, 09:11
Is there some kind of interference between the PDQ lever and the dust cover? All the other pics I see around seem to show that the dust cover has been removed.

ETA: Nevermind, I found out what the deal is. The dust cover doesn't open all the way with the PDQ in place, but it shouldn't be a problem. MAC has a video covering this.

Duffy
03-23-14, 12:45
Didn't you guys at Dixie buy some EPS? for the shop :) All the same, please send me an email and I'll take care of ya ;)

BOSAR15
03-23-14, 13:44
Nice build, I've always had good luck with their products

Stickman
03-23-14, 17:31

Odd, now they are... and it makes the review a million times better! I couldn't figure out why you would do a write up like that without any images. I think my internet provider hates me... :-D

Toddler
03-23-14, 18:40
This review is probably gonna sell a lot of them lowers.

VIP3R 237
03-25-14, 11:36
I honestly never even looked at the magwell before now and the front bevel is pretty weak. So far this is my only complaint.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/20140325_103206_zps5de93d0f.jpg

Is there some kind of interference between the PDQ lever and the dust cover? All the other pics I see around seem to show that the dust cover has been removed.

ETA: Nevermind, I found out what the deal is. The dust cover doesn't open all the way with the PDQ in place, but it shouldn't be a problem. MAC has a video covering this.

Yes the PDQ does not allow the port cover to completely open, but in no way does it interfere with the ejection.
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/20140325_103148_zpsd2d50631.jpg

Ryno12
03-25-14, 11:41
I honestly never even looked at the magwell before now and the front bevel is pretty weak. So far this is my only complaint.
I have one of their standard lowers & it's worse than yours. The bevel is pretty much nonexistent all the way around. Not sure why they can't make it any better.

Sent via Tapatalk

krichbaum
03-25-14, 11:42
Thank you sir. I think I'm going to have to get one of these soon. Full ambi controls aren't really a need for me, but I'd like the extra functionality that PDQ lever offers. Maybe I'll just get a lever and hack one of my lowers.

nate89
03-25-14, 11:53
As another lefty, I was interested in your comment about locking the bolt to the rear. It has been my experience that if there was any control not requiring a left-handed modification, it was the bolt catch/release. For me, locking the bolt to the rear is as simple as using the left index finger to hit the bottom half of the ping pong paddle while pulling the charging handle back with the right hand. I can’t see the great advantage of a bolt manipulation device on the right side of the gun for a lefty. Please educate me. I like an ambi mag release and an ambi safety selector, but have never worried about an ambi bolt button.

VIP3R 237
03-25-14, 12:08
As another lefty, I was interested in your comment about locking the bolt to the rear. It has been my experience that if there was any control not requiring a left-handed modification, it was the bolt catch/release. For me, locking the bolt to the rear is as simple as using the left index finger to hit the bottom half of the ping pong paddle while pulling the charging handle back with the right hand. I can’t see the great advantage of a bolt manipulation device on the right side of the gun for a lefty. Please educate me. I like an ambi mag release and an ambi safety selector, but have never worried about an ambi bolt button.

Sorry i was a little confusing there. The PDQ for righties can be used to lock and release by using their right index finger. However as a lefty there is no need to lock back when the existing bolt catch can be reached with the left index finger. But the PDQ does allow a lefty to release the bolt with the right hand thumb when inserting a magazine.

nate89
03-25-14, 13:05
That makes more sense. I have had times when I haven’t pressed the release firm enough after inserting a new mag and have to take another go at it. I think it would be an advantage to be able to use the right thumb like a right-hander would to drop the bolt. I like seeing the greater availability of ambi parts. I was thinking about a sun tan tactical lower, but this may come first.

markm
03-25-14, 14:46
Looks like a decent idea, but just from the pics.... that right side paddle on the bolt catch looks twice as big as it needs to be.

eternal24k
03-25-14, 15:17
It could definitely be a little smaller, but it works great. I will be modding my lowers when cash allows

ScatmanCrothers
03-25-14, 16:49
I kind of thought they'd be a touch cheaper but not a bad price by any means. Dress it with a Geissele, quality lpk, bad cass st, buffer/stock kit and you're really not too far off of KAC's pricing with similar components. I do like that it gives the option to build an ambi lower for fairly cheap with standard components though. Nice work by Aero.

jet66
03-25-14, 17:16
I'm glad to see the PDQ is getting some notice. Seemed like a good idea when I got to handle one (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?116618-PDQ-Ambi-Bolt-Release) (pre-Aero lower) a while back, and the guy that created it seemed very knowledgeable. I was tempted to add one to one of my existing lowers, but wasn't crazy about milling (or Dremeling) one of my own. I like the overall package this provides, might need to get a hold of one.

Orange-Fox
03-25-14, 19:12
Is this compatible with a Vltor MUR?

E-man930
03-25-14, 19:51
Looks like a decent idea, but just from the pics.... that right side paddle on the bolt catch looks twice as big as it needs to be.

markm you are being silly, it's damn near THREE times as thick as it needs to be!

H&K has the right idea. I wonder a "gen II PDQ" will work it's way out after being put on a diet and exercise program.

http://i47.tinypic.com/11bq7nn.jpg

markt
04-01-14, 15:36
I too am considering the ambi bolt catch but also find it bulky. I really like the one Remington Defense used on their carbine:

http://www.westford86.com/SHOT_2013/Remington/_MG_9241.jpg

tom12.7
04-01-14, 21:03
Both the HK and Remington Defense look like better solutions.

VIP3R 237
04-01-14, 21:15
Both the HK and Remington Defense look like better solutions.

I agree, but the advantage the aero has is that it is available.

markm
04-02-14, 09:29
markm you are being silly, it's damn near THREE times as thick as it needs to be!

Wow... it is rather thick too. I was looking at how wide the paddle was. Just strikes me that with my index finger, I wouldn't need that much material to engage the device.

Hicklinc
06-09-14, 07:35
I bought one of their gen 2 with the pdq and it was completely out of spec and after I finally got it together I'm not a fan of this design and I'm pretty mad at the aero company

VIP3R 237
06-09-14, 09:37
I bought one of their gen 2 with the pdq and it was completely out of spec and after I finally got it together I'm not a fan of this design and I'm pretty mad at the aero company

What exactly do you mean by out of spec, and have you contacted Aero about the issue?

Hicklinc
06-09-14, 09:46
What exactly do you mean by out of spec, and have you contacted Aero about the issue?

I mean the pdq wouldn't just drop into place I had to force it into place and then the bolt catch wouldn't move so I had to remove quite a bit of material to get the pdq in and work properly and also the pin for the trigger guard was also out of spec way to tight yes I contacted them an they said I would have to pay to ship it back and to ship a firearm I have to go to the main hub which is two hours away the whole thing really pissed me off I won't use their company anymore

IZinterrogator
06-11-14, 00:19
Interesting... Mine came pre-installed from Aero, so no fitting problems there. What serial number range are you in? I'm curious if yours is older or newer than mine.

Hicklinc
06-11-14, 06:10
Interesting... Mine came pre-installed from Aero, so no fitting problems there. What serial number range are you in? I'm curious if yours is older or newer than mine.

I got it from one of their dealers I thought it was coming installed but it wasn't ill tell you the serial number range when I get home

BUBBAGUNS
06-11-14, 07:31
Wow... it is rather thick too. I was looking at how wide the paddle was. Just strikes me that with my index finger, I wouldn't need that much material to engage the device.

Doesn't the BAD lever do the same thing for a cheaper price?

Sexual_Meatball
06-11-14, 15:04
i always wondered how the ambi bolt release looked like from aero. hmmm...well if it works, its all good! if you could change the design how would you like it?

MorphCross
06-11-14, 16:10
Doesn't the BAD lever do the same thing for a cheaper price?

Problem is the BAD lever hangs out in your trigger guard which can be an issue if you are wearing bulky gloves and have big hands. It also can negatively affect the function of the bolt catch/release on some billet uppers. Otherwise it is a good product.

Back when I was looking for a full bilateral control lower KAC was the only game in town that came close in forged. So this product is a great option for people who don't want to have to spend $700 plus for a complete lower.

Combine it with a KAC Left-side mag release, BAD-CASS, BCM Ambi CH and a Vltor MUR upper and you'll have the most complete righty and lefty friendly rifle.

VIP3R 237
06-11-14, 16:56

I may mill mine down a bit just to see how it feels.

E-man930
06-11-14, 19:55
hmmm, if you do post pics!

justin_247
06-11-14, 20:43
Back when I was looking for a full bilateral control lower KAC was the only game in town that came close in forged. So this product is a great option for people who don't want to have to spend $700 plus for a complete lower.

Yup, the KAC used to be the "bee's knees" with regards to this. They still are pretty awesome!

That being said, there are a ton of companies out there now with different kinds of ambidextrous systems:

- Simple bolt release button with no bolt catch: KAC, Lancer, Mega, Rainier Arms, Seekins, Spike's, San Tan, Colt, POF, GPI, Magpul/AR15.com.

- Bolt release / bolt catch combo button: AP Ambi Lower (uses PDQ), ADM Improved Carbine, HK 416A5, Remington RGP, PDQ mod.

- "Ping pong" bolt release / bolt catches on both sides of lower receiver: LWRC Individual Carbine, S&W M&P 10.

- Bolt release button and mag release/bolt catch combo: AXTS AX556 / AX762.

- Bolt release/catch at bottom of trigger guard near mag well (like on ACR or FAL): Bushmaster BAR-10 / RRA LAR-8.

eternal24k
06-12-14, 06:54
we recently had to mill a PDQ down and relieve it, the dust cover was interacting it just enough to not reliably be able to hold the bolt open. Anyone else run into this?

PatrioticDisorder
06-12-14, 09:49
I really like the AX556 for us righties mag drop & bolt catch on right side being one button is brilliant, but for the price this looks really good for a true full ambi option.

justin_247
06-12-14, 15:55
we recently had to mill a PDQ down and relieve it, the dust cover was interacting it just enough to not reliably be able to hold the bolt open. Anyone else run into this?

You guys never cease to amaze me. Instead of calling the company when you encounter a problem and probably getting it fixed for free, you just go right on ahead and start grinding away... and then you come on here and complain.

More likely than not, the cut-out on the lower receiver was out of specs.

AntiScreed
06-12-14, 17:33
Agreed Justin.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Voodoochild
06-12-14, 17:47
You guys never cease to amaze me. Instead of calling the company when you encounter a problem and probably getting it fixed for free, you just go right on ahead and start grinding away... and then you come on here and complain.

More likely than not, the cut-out on the lower receiver was out of specs.

I don't see how he was complaining. He just simply expressed an issue he had and how he resolved it.

justin_247
06-12-14, 18:45
I don't see how he was complaining. He just simply expressed an issue he had and how he resolved it.

Then it's a non-issue and he should not have even made the post.

Forum rule # 4:
"4) Contact The Manufacturer or Dealer First – Internet forums have a large global audience and unsubstantiated or ill-informed comments will affect the livelihoods of a lot of hard working people in the industry. If you have an issue with a manufacturer or dealer that you would like to resolve, we ask that your first contact them to resolve it."

tim808
10-01-14, 00:43
Question for the lefties using this lower with the ambi bolt catch/release.

Couldn't you just hit the regular bolt release with your left index finger?

Seems like a nice feature for righties....but can't see much value in it for a lefty.....am I missing something? Ie better for clearing malfunctions or ????

MorphCross
10-01-14, 23:41
Question for the lefties using this lower with the ambi bolt catch/release.

Couldn't you just hit the regular bolt release with your left index finger?

Seems like a nice feature for righties....but can't see much value in it for a lefty.....am I missing something? Ie better for clearing malfunctions or ????

I shoot left handed thus when reloading I keep a hold of my rifles grip with my left hand, slide the magazine home, tug and then I tap the release on the right side so the bolt slides home. Nothing really prevents me from hitting the release on the left side but this way I have an option to keep it all on the hand that is reloading the magazine rather than taking my index finger further away from the trigger in the rare circumstance I need to start firing again immediately.

tim808
10-02-14, 17:21
Morph cross
Tnx! I thought there might be more pro's I hadn't heard of. I'll get one to try since the price is very reasonable.

grunz
12-22-14, 12:11
I have a PDQ lever and it does indeed interact with the port door causing some failures to lock back the bolt. Teal Blue Bravo - the PDQ manufacturer - recommends cutting off a coil from the bolt catch spring. But the real solution would be a redesign of the lever so it is lower in profile and closer to the receiver in the area where it would be under the port door and generally making the right side extended parts lighter/thinner. See the way this same thing is implemented in the HK416A5 vs the way PDQ does it. I have emailed with the manufacturer and he doesn't really want to do that in a future version of the PDQ. Too bad.

TOS picture of HK416A5 version here: https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=42&t=547320