PDA

View Full Version : Can I get a Castle nut

RWH24
03-22-14, 22:09
broke loose from being staked with a wrap of leather and an adjustable wrench?

Factory staking. I am changing out the receiver extention for an A5 RE-10, spring and standard buffer.

Lay it on me.......:meeting:

dentron
03-22-14, 22:25
First you need to lessen the staking with a punch. Then I suppose you could, but why not use the correct wrench? You will need one to install the A5 anyway.

Clint
03-22-14, 22:43
Yes, just get the wrench.

Every job is better with the proper tools.

Iraqgunz
03-23-14, 00:25
C,Mon, seriously? Why would you do this? If you don't have the right tool and knowledge, ask someone. If you don't want to spend a lot of money use the BCM KMR wrench. We used one in class and it worked very well.

RWH24
03-23-14, 11:11
IG, I have not moved yet, but I see a lot of adaptation and improvising on the AR, I just wondered if this was one. While I do not build or exchange parts, I do not have any AR specific tools. I will make a shout out to a friend about the use of his tools.

Hey, I just had to ask!

Khackee
03-23-14, 12:35
Yeah you could probably get it off after a bunch of cursing. But why would you even try? The right tool for the task always makes the job easier. Tools for weapons are generally one time purchases and help ensure you do the job correctly. And spend a few extra bucks and get a good one, none of that Tapco junk. I have a Hammerhead. Awesome wrench, lifetime warranty. Good Luck.

Robb Jensen
03-23-14, 12:44
broke loose from being staked with a wrap of leather and an adjustable wrench?

Factory staking. I am changing out the receiver extention for an A5 RE-10, spring and standard buffer.

Lay it on me.......:meeting:

I use the method pictured.

BOSAR15
03-23-14, 13:46
I've had no issues getting it loose with a fair amount of torque with a castle nut wrench

discreet
03-23-14, 16:35
I think my RRA and Ncstar wrenches were like 7$ each. Honestly no reason not to have even a cheap tool. Won't be able to use a torque wrench but better than nothing.

Imo just save up and start buying AR tools. Good wrenches, Starlett punches etc.

JoshNC
03-23-14, 19:00
I use the method pictured.

Robb, where can I pick up a set of those RE blocks?

RWH24
03-24-14, 00:13
Well, Brownell's and I have become close with punches, small enough hex wrenches for M&P rear sights, delrin punches, brass punches, brass/delrin hammer. These things I have can be used on any gun I own, just not AR specific.

NOTICE: I ordered the BCM tool for the KMR barrel nut like IG suggested. Should make it here by end of week. No hurry at this point. I have 2 small vices but really need wider throat opening to get a receiver and block to hold it or get a Geissele Rod. Do need the lower block that inserts into the mag well. May just make one out of some soft Pine wood.
Front Sight jig block.

When I went through Colt M16 Armorers class, our class rifles were all M16A2 with fixed handle/rear sight and fixed butt stock.

KLR_Redux
03-24-14, 05:03
I had a single nipple wrench from Brownells- USA Made. I actually broke material from the Castle nut trying to remove. I bought the TAPCO (returned the other one) and had no further issues. The castle nut was an LMT, btw. Wouldn't put any of their furniture on a rifle, but the combo wrench and hand guard removal tool have (so far) proved serviceable.

markm
03-24-14, 08:19
Buy a hammerhead wrench. That thing is handy.

mtdawg169
03-24-14, 09:06
Buy a hammerhead wrench. That thing is handy.

Yes it is. Use mine all the time. The BCM barrel nut wrench may be the best bang for your buck though when it comes to inexpensive castle nut wrenches. It's very well made compared to other dedicated tools in that price range.

LewP
03-24-14, 11:45
Get a big, heavy, and strong vise. A 5" mechanics vise is a good start. You can sometimes find used older vices on Craigslist for a good price.

A set of aluminum jaw liners is a good idea as well.

GunBugBit
03-24-14, 12:16
The Brownell's wrench works well for me; have easily removed castle nuts despite proper staking jobs. This wrench is beefy and grabs the castle nut at all 4 points.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/wrenches/car-15-m4-buttstock-wrench-prod27454.aspx

That Hammerhead wrench others use looks great too, and the price is good.

As LewP points out, a good vise and jaw liners are important.

RWH24
03-24-14, 14:36
Taken care of!

Iraqgunz
03-24-14, 14:38
We don't need status updates.

BCM email says KMR wrench is on it's way USPS Priority. IF it doesn't work,:sarcastic:, It's all IG's fault!:haha:

Just Kidding. No reason to believe it will not work. BCM by crackie!

Robb Jensen
04-05-14, 15:09
Robb, where can I pick up a set of those RE blocks?
They're rubber lined bbl blocks from Brownells. I use the large end for rec. extensions.