PDA

View Full Version : Looking for part that snaps onto a spare upper for storage

cj5_dude
03-23-14, 04:43
A few days ago I was on some AR company website and they had a part that I'd been thinking of in my head for a while. Now I can't remember where I saw it and I'd like to buy it. It was a simple peice of black plastic that snapped onto the AR upper where the lower snaps on. It helped keep dust and dirt out of the upper and it kept the BCG and charging handle in. I remember that it was only about $10 each. In my search for this I found one that uses two little pins that go in like the reciever pins, but the one I'm looking at didn't have those. Just a real quick snap on/snap off. Does anybody have a clue what I'm talking about? Thanks.

CRAMBONE
03-23-14, 04:54
Raven Concealment makes one.

cj5_dude
03-23-14, 04:59
You nailed it on the head! Thank you. That was a quick response.

For those who want to see what I mean it's here............. http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/topstop-ar-upper-receiver-cover-1/

Toddler
03-23-14, 05:39
Joe bob outfitters made them first and cheaper.

ibmikey
03-23-14, 19:01
Mine says Black Dog Machine in big bold plastic letters.

DIRTMAN556
03-23-14, 23:13
That's a really good find. Thanks for asking what you were looking for lol.

Briman1001
03-24-14, 12:43
That's a really good find. Thanks for asking what you were looking for lol.

That's Awesome. Another thing I had no idea i 'needed' until I read about it here! Thanks.

Tire
03-24-14, 17:16
Wonder if that would work with a 9mm upper?
That extra heavy 9mm bolt just drops out with even the slightest movement.

agr1279
03-24-14, 18:54
I made a few of them but mine were made of delrin. Glad I didn't invest in making mine commercially.

Dan

Yojimbo
03-24-14, 19:23
Maybe I am get old, but what exactly are these things meant to prevent from happening to the upper receiver? Looks like a waste of money to me...

WaldoOneFive
03-24-14, 21:49
Maybe I am get old, but what exactly are these things meant to prevent from happening to the upper receiver? Looks like a waste of money to me...

I was thinking the same thing, and to second that; What exactly as these for? What's their purpose?

blade_68
03-24-14, 22:00
I was going to grab a few. One for 22LR upper so the BCG don't slide out when I'm carry it or in safe. Keeps crap out of it too. Overall it's not necessary just nice to have.

WaldoOneFive
03-24-14, 22:05
I was going to grab a few. One for 22LR upper so the BCG don't slide out when I'm carry it or in safe. Keeps crap out of it too. Overall it's not necessary just nice to have.

Has there ever been something like this used before? Like a make-shift item used for this purpose? (such as condoms to keep out water from the muzzle).. something used in the field or whatever that would accomplish this?

bzdog
03-24-14, 22:11
I recall seeing a block that allowed you to pin the upper and the lower flipped for more compact storage.

I'd be interested in finding something like that.

-john

whiterabbit05
03-24-14, 22:21
To keep your bag clean from gun grease?

blade_68
03-24-14, 22:55
Condom =keeping rain out of barrel... excuse for military using millions of condoms ;) half the time I pick up my 22 upper the bolt carrier group slides out ( stainless steel and slick as snot). I could just use a rubber band. I normally slide uppers in gun socks and in stealth "bag" Less banging around 2 lowers and 2-3 uppers. Just stealth out to range, storage and etc. As a posted I thought about getting a few, then I just got more ammo. In the field it's a non-issue for me anymore, 1 rifle, sidearm OC. ASP. handcuffs not going to be carrying 2nd or 3rd upper. No more field ex. or deployments...Ret. from them day's.

Toddler
03-25-14, 03:56
The one from Joe Bob Outfitters is $2.95 and is called a bolt saver.

agr1279
03-25-14, 04:25

That is why I designed mine. I got tired of remembering that the bolt on my Compass Lake 22 upper would fall out. Stopped that problem.

Dan

Yojimbo
03-25-14, 07:54
I deal with this problem by having a dedicated lower for my .22 upper. ;)