PDA

View Full Version : "Rugged" Coolers - Compared

clmarshall21
03-23-14, 23:56
So the bottom line here is, I was sorta leaning towards buying a YETI or similar rugged use cooler for my rare but occasional hog hunting trips and roadtrips back to Nebraska. When I got to looking around online I found that there are a slew of manufacturers that sell these "roto molded" coolers very similar to the popular YETI coolers. My intentions were to shop around and perhaps find a manufacturer that was making a durable cooler at a better price point than some of the more popular brands. The truth is though, I got to the point where I had too many options to look at and I gave up on making a decision until the time came that I actually needed to bite the bullet and buy one of these things (that will be sometime down the road). However, over the last few nights I have had some free time and nothing better to do so I compiled a list of different manufacturers, models, and specifications of most all of the roto-mold coolers that I could track down to help compare price vs size vs brand vs etc... This turned into a pretty big list and I thought it would be worth sharing. Hopefully someone out there can make use of all this data to help them buy their next overpriced cooler ;)

Up front I will say that this is far from a scientific/in-depth approach to comparison and take it for what it is. I have none of these models to actually compare first hand. This comparison gives no merit to the different manufacturer claims of "ice retention" because claims are claims and everyone will have different results. The real reason that I would by one of these is not for 3 weeks of ice retention, but merely to buy a quality product that I would not have to worry about breaking a latch or a hinge on. This is a product that you would buy with hopes of using it hassle free for years and years.

I have no dog in this fight. I am not an off-shore fisherman or a hunting guide and do not plan on storing a quartered elk for a week in bear country. I have always been an Igloo cheapo or foam cooler from the gas station because I forgot my igloo at home kind of guy. Once I decided I might be buying one of these one day, I simply wanted to determine if there was a less expensive means to a rugged cooler vs the big brands out there.

If you think this resource might help you, here are some things to keep in mind:

-All of the specifications and information is data that was found on the web by just searching and reading. If I couldn't find it, I didn't list it. This compilation of data is nothing extraordinary and could have been created by anyone with the time and interest. I am simply sharing so you don't have to do the legwork that I have already done. Hell, there may be someone else out there that has already done this. But I couldn't find it.
-This was compiled fairly quickly so I am sure there are mistakes. If you download the file and have Excel then you can correct what you need to correct if it affects your use of the comparison.
-This comparison doesn't include every roto-molded cooler out there. Again, if you want to add something to compare for yourself then just download it and edit as needed.
-For those of you who download the file to edit it, be aware that there are columns and cells that are set up with simple formulas and conditional formatting. If you type in one, the formula is gone. For you Excel wizards out there, you will have no issues. For the rest, if you have issues, hit undo ;)
-As far as comparing something as simple as coolers goes, this spreadsheet does have quite a bit of data. It really won't do you much good to view it as you see it in the link (kind of in a "print preview" form). It will be best to download if you have Excel or use Google Sheets to view the file so you have the ability to sort and filter the data to help you compare what you actually want to compare.
-I know not everyone cares to know about "overpriced" coolers. If you are one that doesn't care, don't crucify me for posting something that I thought might be helpful for someone else.
-Admittedly, this is probably not the most appropriate forum for a comparison of coolers. The thing is, as I said before I am not much of a big hunter or fisherman so I am not a member of other forums that may find this comparison more useful. I posted it here because I know many of you guys are hunters/fisherman/outdoor enthusiasts and are probably capable, and maybe willing, to pass this resource along to other groups of people that you think it might be beneficial to. Do with it as you please.
-Again, this is a comparison of very basic information, so take it for what it is.
-The links below are to the same spreadsheet. One is a .xls file and the other is .xlsx.

Feel free to post any first hand use or experiences with any of these products if you care to. I think the biggest value would be to know how a given company responds to "my latch broke" or other issues during the warranty period or even outside of warranty. Each of these coolers should do their jobs well enough as coolers. The big differences between them would come down to their price, ruggedness, customer service, etc... Many of which cannot be compared without first hand experience.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2W0F4YfaWdVU3pYbzh5OGRRMk0/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2W0F4YfaWdVZE93bUUxX0k0LW8/edit?usp=sharing

billybronco
03-31-14, 09:02
I LOVE my Yeti 65. That being said, you can save some coin by picking up one of Pelican's coolers. Their 65 is actually preferable for me. It's deeper and not as wide. If you're fishing, the wider/longer Yeti might be better but for everything else, the Pelican would take up a smaller footprint. My uncle got one and is stays locked in the back of his truck with a chain and padlock. The latch on the front broke off but is easily replaceable.

Quick Draw
03-31-14, 15:52
K2 coolers are comparable to Yeti for less money.

jwsturr
04-03-14, 10:48
Engel Coolers are like the Yeti and k2. They lock up tight. Good prices. Also have good customer service. 3 year warranty on their deep blue series I think. Also they have some pretty cool bait coolers.

Avtech850
07-26-14, 13:18
Coolers are dime a dozen in this part of the country, its almost like riding around with a yeti in the bed of your truck is a status symbol. I bought a yeti 75 quart about seven years ago and I don't regret it, but it seems like their quality has gone down hill lately. My wife bought me the small yeti for christmas last year to keep in the tractor cab with me and it already looks like its about to fall apart.

Outlander Systems
07-29-14, 20:15
I'm not being a flippant ass...but what kind of beer are you fellas toting? And what are you doing to your coolers that you need a bomb-proof cooler?

Again, not being a dick, just legitimately curious, because I am obviously missing something.

Avtech850
07-29-14, 20:28
I can't speak for everybody else here, but personally I very rarely if ever carry beer in my coolers. Most of the time it's just lunch fixings with some water and some soda's. As for the bombproof part. I can't tell you how many cheap coolers I've killed over the years. I'm not particularly rough on stuff but my father and my brother can and have broken anvils. With those two getting tools, parts and other things off the back of my truck anything in the bed that isn't describe by words like bombproof and brick pooh house can expect a short life span. Also it might seem trivial but it really is nice not having to stop every morning for ice. Especially at 4 in the morning. But the main thing that drew me to them was the idea of a cooler that might last a few years instead of just a few weeks.

Outlander Systems
07-30-14, 04:08
I can't speak for everybody else here, but personally I very rarely if ever carry beer in my coolers. Most of the time it's just lunch fixings with some water and some soda's. As for the bombproof part. I can't tell you how many cheap coolers I've killed over the years. I'm not particularly rough on stuff but my father and my brother can and have broken anvils. With those two getting tools, parts and other things off the back of my truck anything in the bed that isn't describe by words like bombproof and brick pooh house can expect a short life span. Also it might seem trivial but it really is nice not having to stop every morning for ice. Especially at 4 in the morning. But the main thing that drew me to them was the idea of a cooler that might last a few years instead of just a few weeks.

Roger that.

I don't know if my folks still have it, but there was an old, green, Coleman cooler we had when I was growing up. My folks had put stickers all over it from every state we had visited. I'm guessing it had to be from the mid 70s. Thing was beastly. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still hanging in there, wherever it is...

Avtech850
07-31-14, 21:13
I know exactly the one you are talking about. I pick cotton for a Old mennonite in southern Alabama that keeps one on the back of his truck to hide his beer from his wife in. That cooler looks like it could be hit by a truck and come out on top!!!

gt40
08-11-14, 20:04
I saw a comparison test between top end coolers. I think you will be surprised at how they compared. I know that I will be buying the Coleman Xtreme for less than 100$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U

Avtech850
08-12-14, 08:46
The problem with yeti recently is that they were bought by the cortec group. I stopped by my local John deere dealer about a week ago and asked the owner about the icee tek coolers he had on display and why he chose them over yeti. (Scott is always really sharp about the stuff he puts in his display so it was a little odd to me that even if yetis recent stuff didn't seem right, he wasn't offering the most popular brand.) That's when he told me about the buy out of yeti and that the cortec reputation for buying big brands and making them cheaper but not lowering the price until the market was dead and selling off the company. I don't know if it is gospel truth, but that would explain why my five year old 75 quart looks and feels like something I could park my cotton picker on and the 25 quart my wife bought me for Christmas last year looks like it is on its last legs.

ra2bach
08-12-14, 16:05
I saw a comparison test between top end coolers. I think you will be surprised at how they compared. I know that I will be buying the Coleman Xtreme for less than 100$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U

I was going to chime in and recommend the Coleman Extreme 5 but I thought this was a cooler snob thread. :rolleyes:

I was at deer camp and when I took a second deer I knew the Igloo roller cooler I brought wasn't going to work. a quick run to Walmart and $52 got me this huge (holds 120 quarts or 190 12oz cans) Coleman .

I only had the remains of 2 20 lb bags of ice that about 1/3 had already melted in my Igloo cooler so this would have to do. after letting the 8 quarters (and straps) hang to cool, I put them in the Coleman and poured the remaining ice over them. 3 days later when I took it to the butcher there was still ice in there. good cooler...

streck
10-15-14, 20:01
If you need a bear proof cooler, you need a bear proof cooler. If not, why spend the money?

Blinking Dog
10-23-14, 15:37
I went through a bunch of cheapie coolers because I'm, well, cheap. But after being out camping and having ice melt too many times I opted for a more expensive Max Cold cooler. After that I went on camping trips and canoe trips, etc., and my buddies would run out of ice and have to make a run...or be S out of luck... When you're out canoeing on a river for a few days with no way to re-stock, having a good cooler matters.

Buy cheap, you get cheap. You'll probably end up spending much more in ice bag replacements, or lukewarm beer or whatever. Better to just go with something good from the get go. Doesn't have to be Yeti, though, obviously.

jahrule
11-08-14, 17:14
I went through a bunch of cheapie coolers because I'm, well, cheap. But after being out camping and having ice melt too many times I opted for a more expensive Max Cold cooler. After that I went on camping trips and canoe trips, etc., and my buddies would run out of ice and have to make a run...or be S out of luck... When you're out canoeing on a river for a few days with no way to re-stock, having a good cooler matters.

Buy cheap, you get cheap. You'll probably end up spending much more in ice bag replacements, or lukewarm beer or whatever. Better to just go with something good from the get go. Doesn't have to be Yeti, though, obviously.
I agree. However, just because something has a low price does not make it crap.

philcam
11-08-14, 17:57
I have a 75 qt. Brute Box and prefer it to a Yeti.

So much so, I'm getting a 2nd

jahrule
11-08-14, 19:35
I have a 75 qt. Brute Box and prefer it to a Yeti.

So much so, I'm getting a 2nd
Would you say they keep the temperature like a yeti?

philcam
11-09-14, 12:20
Would you say they keep the temperature like a yeti?

Yes, I looked at both the Brute and Yeti. Both companies make good products, but I like the Brute more. Their hinges, latches and carry-handles seem more robust.

My first Brute was a 25 qt and I now have a 75 qt. Both my Brute Boxes will keep ice for 5+ days.

I also think Yeti over-rates their sizes. In my opinion, their 65 qt is closer to 50 or 55 qts.

BIGUGLY
11-16-14, 21:48
I can vouch for K2, they have a scratch and dent section on their website. Saves a few bucks and they make a good cooler.

rcoodyar15
11-30-14, 06:31
yeap I own a yeti. Only game in town when I bought mine.

I always kept a marine igloo under my leaning post on my boat. Sun eats them up. One wouldn't last much over a year.

one day I was in Bass Pro getting me a new cooler. The marine igloo they wanted $160 for and the yeti was $300. I figured hell if it last 2 years it will pay for itself. That was 5 or 6 years ago and that yeti is still going strong.

That said I am a construction superintendent and live in a camper on the road. Use a lot of coolers. That igloo extreme will hold Ice as good as the yeti but again if you use it it will not last much more than a year. if you open your cooler a lot then any of them will hold ice about the same.

The only drawback to the yeti type coolers for me is weight. Those suckers are heavy.

but they will outlive you.

SilverBullet432
06-27-15, 16:40
Bumping this. Thinking about a pelican 45 qt cooler.? Need one to keep ice good. I see it being opened maybe 2x an hour to grab drinks.

Watrdawg
09-11-15, 15:14
Last year I bought an Igloo Sportsman 70qt cooler from Sam's and love it. Nowhere near as expensive as comparable Yeti or other coolers. $199.00 Still expensive but at that price I can almost rationalize the cost.

USMC_Anglico
09-11-15, 15:55
Waiting to see how these work out: https://www.rticcoolers.com/

until then my coleman extreme is working really well

gt40
09-11-15, 15:59
I got my 120 qt Coleman Extreme at Walmart for $54.

WATCH THIS AGAIN= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U

USMC_Anglico
09-11-15, 16:08
I got my 120 qt Coleman Extreme at Walmart for $54.

WATCH THIS AGAIN= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U

Only problem with that test is that it doesn't go into durability. My coleman will not handle the abuse of a rotomolded cooler. I won't even stand on it, afraid I'll cave it in.

gt40
09-11-15, 16:35
I stand on mine and I weigh 230 lbs. and becides I can buy 8 of them for 1 Yeti. I've had mine 2 years and it is still in good shape and I don't have to chain it down so it doesn't get stolen like a Yeti.

PLA
01-21-16, 05:58
I bought a Pelican 90 qt for long hunting trips and Ive never been happier with the choice

Ice for 2-3 weeks is common and solid latches the sun doesn't destroy

ubet
02-05-16, 08:03
We have a Coleman extreme and that thing holds ice really well. I grew up spending my summers with no electricity, running water, etc. Everything we wanted in, we packed in a horseback. From our cow camp it was 5 miles a horseback to their nearest pickup, and 75 miles to the nearest store, which took about 3 hrs in the pickup, you didn't run to town for a gallon of milk. All of our food was kept in coolers, and not very pricey ones. The biggest thing to keeping ice fresh and to keep it from melting is to drain it regularly, keep the cooler out of the sun, and never user cubed ice. Block ice lasts exponentially longer, especially if you drain it regularly.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk