PDA

View Full Version : Withdraw Timelines For Form 1's

OrdnanceLocker
03-24-14, 19:03
So... this State FINALLY passed a Bill allowing SBR's. The Governor has taken a stance of taking no action (Not signing) nor is he vetoing it. As it stands after 90 days from March 7th when it was passed if no action is taken it will automatically become law. My question is if I start the Form 1 now, and for some reason our dear Governor decides to Veto it, do I have a way of withdrawing the paperwork and getting the $200 Tax Stamp cost refunded back to me, or do I eat the $200 loss if it goes "pending"? I called several SOT's and got mixed answers.

Fringe
03-24-14, 19:20
Do it. I had to retread on one and it was quickly refunded.

domestique
03-24-14, 20:14
E-file (if you have a trust, which I can't imagine a CLEO signing anything until it is actual law). Chances are your get your stamp in 4 months and be one of the first in your state to have an SBR.

The one thing the ATF is quick about is cashing/refunding checks.

P.s if you are looking for a fast engraver check out Graylaser down in Texas. They have done all work and the turnaround time has been 7 days (mailed from PA and back again).

mattg1024
03-24-14, 20:30
Yes, they will refund if you send them a letter why you are cancelling. It will take them months to send you a check back though.

BigWaylon
03-24-14, 20:46
My understanding is you can actually get your money back even after application is approved and stamp is received. If you went through the hassle of filing and paying, waited for approval, and then decided not to build it for some reason...you can write them letter and the stamp becomes null and void and your money will be refunded.

No real reason not to go ahead and get in line.

From the Form 1:

4. Withdrawal of Application.
The transferor may withdraw an application prior to approval subsequent to a written request. The NFA Branch will arrange for a refund of the taxpaid.
5. Cancellation of Approved Application.
The transferor may cancel an approved application only if the physical transfer of the firearm has not been completed. The transferor must return the approved application with the tax stamp affixed with a written request for cancellation, citing the need and that the physical transfer of the firearm did not take place. The NFA Branch will arrange for a refund of the tax paid.

Physical transfer of the firearm has not been completed = SBR never made from stripped lower?

Iraqgunz
03-25-14, 02:52
I am pretty sure that until it becomes law no CLEO in their right mind will sign off on it. And I would even speculate that it may get kicked back by NFA Branch just for the reason you indicated. Everytime people jack with the system it causes problems.

OrdnanceLocker
03-25-14, 20:26
I am pretty sure that until it becomes law no CLEO in their right mind will sign off on it. And I would even speculate that it may get kicked back by NFA Branch just for the reason you indicated. Everytime people jack with the system it causes problems.

The Bill passed with almost no opposing votes and it's just waiting on the Governor to sign which would normally happen within a week of the Bill being passed. If there's no action taken it's going to go into effect in a little less than 3 months per our State Constitution and it takes 4-6 months in order to get the tax stamp approval then it doesn't make sense to wait until after the fact and end up even farther out than before. I already have a trust with my suppressor since the CLEO method is less convenient and offers me no benefit. I'm thinking ahead unlike most which is why I asked the question first rather than assuming which you are doing. If I wanted to try and skirt the system then I would have built a retarded pistol. You know what happens when you assume?

OrdnanceLocker
03-25-14, 20:27
Thank you to everyone else though for the information. I've been a long range shooter for awhile and I'm excited to swap gears for a bit.

OrdnanceLocker
03-25-14, 20:29
E-file (if you have a trust, which I can't imagine a CLEO signing anything until it is actual law). Chances are your get your stamp in 4 months and be one of the first in your state to have an SBR.

I haven't dealt with an e-file transaction yet. Is it something an individual can do through the ATF site or do I need to find an SOT is who is currently using e-file to do it for me?

Leaveammoforme
03-25-14, 20:40
According to this http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2008/06/washington-wa-what-nfa-firearm-1.html you can own a suppressor but not use it!?

Wonder if SBR's will be the same?

Flamingo
03-25-14, 20:48
That law was changed a couple of years ago... We can own and use suppressors now.

BigWaylon
03-25-14, 22:36
I haven't dealt with an e-file transaction yet. Is it something an individual can do through the ATF site or do I need to find an SOT is who is currently using e-file to do it for me?

You can file a Form 1...a SOT would have to file a Form 3 or 4 if needed.

This guide (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?147975-Visual-guide-How-to-fill-out-a-Form-1-using-EFORMS) will give you an idea of what to expect.

Iraqgunz
03-26-14, 03:48
Suppressors have been legal for many years in WA. You couldn't legally discharge a round through in while in the state or it was a gross misdemeanor.

That law was changed a couple of years ago... We can own and use suppressors now.

Iraqgunz
03-26-14, 03:52
Well then instead of asking the question go do the paperwork and see what happens. You do realize that if the law is not on effect (regardless of whether it was signed, waiting or otherwise) the NFA Branch can kick it right back upon initial review because they COULD say that the Governor could change his mind.

The Bill passed with almost no opposing votes and it's just waiting on the Governor to sign which would normally happen within a week of the Bill being passed. If there's no action taken it's going to go into effect in a little less than 3 months per our State Constitution and it takes 4-6 months in order to get the tax stamp approval then it doesn't make sense to wait until after the fact and end up even farther out than before. I already have a trust with my suppressor since the CLEO method is less convenient and offers me no benefit. I'm thinking ahead unlike most which is why I asked the question first rather than assuming which you are doing. If I wanted to try and skirt the system then I would have built a retarded pistol. You know what happens when you assume?

OrdnanceLocker
03-26-14, 08:44
Well then instead of asking the question go do the paperwork and see what happens. You do realize that if the law is not on effect (regardless of whether it was signed, waiting or otherwise) the NFA Branch can kick it right back upon initial review because they COULD say that the Governor could change his mind.

I didn't ask if my application could be rejected so maybe you need to work on your comprehension. Since when did reasonable questions warrant assumed responses in regards to a persons intentions which weren't even remotely apparent? If there are caveats then by all means please inform me, but if you can't do so without making retarded insinuations then why bother even commenting at all other than to hear your own voice?

OrdnanceLocker
03-26-14, 08:44
You can file a Form 1...a SOT would have to file a Form 3 or 4 if needed.

This guide (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?147975-Visual-guide-How-to-fill-out-a-Form-1-using-EFORMS) will give you an idea of what to expect.

Great guide. Thank you...