PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6920 trigger weight?

ando35
03-24-14, 22:35
I fired my 6920 for the first time and noticed it felt a tiny, almost imperceptible click before it fired. Almost like it had two stages but not quite.

It isn't bad or anything, it's just that I don't remember the M-16A2 being that way.

PaLEOjd
03-24-14, 22:56
Are you asking a question?

The 6920 is just a plain crappy mil-spec trigger. Should be 8lbs or so. Once it's broken in, it should be a little better but don't expect much.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ando35
03-24-14, 23:20
I guess I was asking if that is normal. Thanks.

Iraqgunz
03-25-14, 01:15
MILSPEC triggers vary from about 6-9.5 lbs. Your best and most efficient option is to get an ALG QMS trigger. It has a nice approx. 6 lb. trigger pull.

MistWolf
03-25-14, 07:09
One way you can improve the pull of your trigger is to remove it from the lower and lube the sears and pins with grease

samuse
03-25-14, 07:32
Sounds like you got a nice one.

ando35
03-25-14, 08:12
It's still light enough to shoot well, I think. I had a mini-14 and it was so heavy in comparison. It really jerked the weapon off target.

Grand58742
03-25-14, 08:25
MILSPEC triggers vary from about 6-9.5 lbs. Your best and most efficient option is to get an ALG QMS trigger. It has a nice approx. 6 lb. trigger pull.

This. Takes the breaking in portion out of the equation and comes out of the box smooth and consistent. Well worth the extra $20 you pay over a normal FCG.

mdoan300
03-25-14, 09:37
I guess I was asking if that is normal. Thanks.

IMO, it's not normal, but it's also not abnormal (in other words, it's w/in the operating boundaries). My BCM trigger had the same creep before the break and my DD trigger did not (I've replaced both w/ Geissele SSA).

markm
03-25-14, 10:08
I have the ALG trigger with the NiB finish or whatever... it used to two stage horrendously just like what you're saying. But it's actually broken in and become a nice trigger.

Shoot the gun, and it'll go away I bet.

OldState
03-25-14, 11:25
The trigger is servicable in that if you pull it the gun will fire and will do so indefinitely.

My 6920 trigger was a horrendously gritty 7.5 to 8# . Absolutely f-ing hated it and it was the first thing to go. It was the worse stock trigger I ever felt in any firearm, but I grew up around mostly competition grade firearms.

Some people will tell you to deal with it. It all depends on what you are used to and what you expect. I'm a trigger snob and accuracy junky...but (not to be obnoxious) I also shoot well above average...with any trigger.

It won't make you shoot better if you suck, But the gun will probably be more enjoyable if you change it.

As others said, get a G trigger and stay above 5#s. They are the only option IMO.

markm
03-25-14, 11:35
My 6920 trigger was a horrendously gritty 7.5 to 8# . Absolutely f-ing hated it and it was the first thing to go.

Trigger nightmares are not brand specific.. I'm sure we all know. You should have felt this DD trigger that Pappabear got in an LPK or whatever....

It felt like you'd dropped the gun into a sand pit and it was working the grains out of the engagement surfaces. It was funny as hell. He fired it a couple times, then went right to the Ipad to order a Geissele.

OldState
03-25-14, 11:54
Trigger nightmares are not brand specific.. I'm sure we all know. You should have felt this DD trigger that Pappabear got in an LPK or whatever....

It felt like you'd dropped the gun into a sand pit and it was working the grains out of the engagement surfaces. It was funny as hell. He fired it a couple times, then went right to the Ipad to order a Geissele.

I hear you, the stock trigger on my M&P 45 was pretty bad but lacked the gritty-sponginess of the Colt. As suggested earlier, greasing it up helped but only lasted about 100 rounds for me.

I went with the SD-E but it is a bit too light for me to make a general recommendation without knowing the person. I will go with the SSA on my next build; hopefully a happy birthday to me suppressed SBR :p

Congrats on your 18000th post BTW

GunBugBit
03-25-14, 15:20
I fired my 6920 for the first time and noticed it felt a tiny, almost imperceptible click before it fired. Almost like it had two stages but not quite.
That does seem to be an abberation. My 6920 and other ARs were single-stage and heavy before being given Geissele triggers, but they were clean-breaking. It might be worthwhile to have yours looked over by a gunsmith to see if anything is wrong.

markm
03-25-14, 15:27
It might be worthwhile to have yours looked over by a gunsmith to see if anything is wrong.

The rist there is that if he takes it to a Jethro, the guy might try to "work" on the engagement surfaces.

GunBugBit
03-25-14, 15:30
True but one could say to just please look. And try to avoid a Jethro.

samuse
03-25-14, 19:04
I wouldn't waste time messing with a stock trigger.

Since I have to use a crutch to shoot a handgun, my 1911 triggers are quite nice.

I like my carbine triggers to be a little better.

SSA-E for me.

Life is short and there's no reason to suffer with a crappy trigger in the USA.

rushca01
03-25-14, 19:15

Since I have to use a crutch to shoot a handgun, my 1911 triggers are quite nice.

SSA-E for me.

What you did there I see it. Well played.

rapomstage3
03-25-14, 19:42
Alg qms gas migrated into all my lowers. I go back to a 2 stage kac and barf. My 6920 trigger is gross. It will get changed.

OldState
03-25-14, 20:04

SSA-E for me.

You don't hear much BS "crutch" talk since the yellow hat guy left. That's good because it is total BS. You can shoot well or you can't. Unfortunately most people, even those who spend a lot of time shooting guns, can't.

A good trigger may make you suck 5% less but if you are a solid shooter a good trigger is like having power steering in a car.

With the various offering from Geissele and their affordable ALG line, there is no reason to mess with a crappy stock trigger.

GunBugBit
03-26-14, 11:57
...Life is short and there's no reason to suffer with a crappy trigger in the USA.

...there is no reason to mess with a crappy stock trigger.
I heartily agree! Once you get a taste of the good stuff it's tough to go back to the crude versions.

markm
03-26-14, 12:39
I'm weird in that the average USGI trigger doesn't bother me unless I'm trying to shoot groups to test ammo or a barrel or something. I've shot a lot of the nice Geissele triggers and don't get bugged a bit about jumping back on a standard trigger.

davidjinks
03-26-14, 12:40
I had 2 Colt LE6920 triggers that did this exact thing. 1 was a large pin Colt and the other was a standard pin Colt.

Both of them had this definite pre-travel (Very small amount) movement and then the wall and brake.

The large pin trigger was smooth as butter right from the box and I believe it was a 6.5# pull (Don't have my book anymore). But the newer standard pin 6920 sucked major ass and was probably around 10+# pull with a gritty pull.

All my triggers get switched out too Geissele triggers. Either the SD-C, SSA or SSA-E. Best investments I've ever made for shooting. I definitely don't need a timer to tell me that a superior trigger is going to help me either.

It isn't bad or anything, it's just that I don't remember the M-16A2 being that way.

GunBugBit
03-26-14, 14:45
I've shot a lot of the nice Geissele triggers and don't get bugged a bit about jumping back on a standard trigger.
I have more trigger time on the standard triggers and hardly notice when I'm back on one; just don't prefer them. I notice the heavy handgun triggers more than I notice the heavy long gun triggers.

REALLY dislike the trigger on my SKS though!

Back to the topic at hand: a Geissele SSA trigger on a Colt 6920 is a sweet combo. My preference, for now.