PDA

View Full Version : Keeping firearms in a storage locker?

Wake27
03-25-14, 06:28
I want to get this posted before the day starts so it will be short until I can fill it out more. I'm moving to Hawaii soon and am still considering living on post. The thought of keeping my guns in a safe in a storage locker makes me a little uneasy, what do you all think?

ETA - I can keep them at my parents house CONUS for as long as I want, but obviously that would mean they wouldn't be with me. I am Army, and as far as I know, I'll be gone for probably 3 years. If I live off post, then there's obviously no problem. My wife and I haven't decided which one we want to do yet. I'm not keeping them in the post armory - just heard too many bad things. That's where this idea came up. Obviously I'd pick the most secure location I could and wouldn't cheap out on a safe (I only have a cabinet right now). All of my guns are already under a great insurance policy through USAA, so I'm covered if it comes down to it.

GH41
03-25-14, 06:36
Storage locker? You mean something you rent? GH

Ryno12
03-25-14, 06:46
Hell no, especially if it's not climate controlled. Way too many external variables out of your control that can affect your firearms. Theft, fire, climate, etc.

Do you have a responsible relative's house that you can keep them at?

Sent via Tapatalk

Eurodriver
03-25-14, 07:05
What branch of service are you in? I'm guessing Army. Does Schofield have storage units on base?

I kept my guns in a safe in a storage unit on base, but it was only for a few months before I EASd. It was either that or the unit armory as my dirt bag family sold all my guns while I was deployed and I wasn't going through that again.

You still have to register them with the PMO/base police and it might be against regulations. I made sure not to tell anyone and transported them via discreet cases. Our armorers were dirt bags and I didn't want them finger banging my ARs.

I wouldn't even consider storing them off base though. They will see your haole ass putting expensive stuff in it from a mile away and you'll find it stolen that very night.

montanadave
03-25-14, 08:55
Whatever you decide, have insurance on them and keep a log with photos and serial numbers.

Grand58742
03-25-14, 11:14
From what I was told before my overseas PCS, the storage systems the military uses tends to get pilfered through.

I'd personally find a trustworthy family member and store it with them instead.

GH41
03-25-14, 15:41
Down here they have storage facilities where the lockers/ closets are behind closed doors. You have to have an attendant open the access to the area where the closets are. They are climate controlled. The headache is you only have access during their working hours. I would want a case as discrete as possible for transport. You can gut a golf club bag and get a couple of rifles in it. A gym bag for pistols and ammo. GH

Eurodriver
03-25-14, 18:14
From what I was told before my overseas PCS, the storage systems the military uses tends to get pilfered through.

I'd personally find a trustworthy family member and store it with them instead.

How do they get the locks off without cutting them?

Wake27
03-25-14, 18:19
I added some more details to my OP.

What branch of service are you in? I'm guessing Army. Does Schofield have storage units on base?

I kept my guns in a safe in a storage unit on base, but it was only for a few months before I EASd. It was either that or the unit armory as my dirt bag family sold all my guns while I was deployed and I wasn't going through that again.

You still have to register them with the PMO/base police and it might be against regulations. I made sure not to tell anyone and transported them via discreet cases. Our armorers were dirt bags and I didn't want them finger banging my ARs.

I wouldn't even consider storing them off base though. They will see your haole ass putting expensive stuff in it from a mile away and you'll find it stolen that very night.

I'll look into this, thanks.

Down here they have storage facilities where the lockers/ closets are behind closed doors. You have to have an attendant open the access to the area where the closets are. They are climate controlled.

That's along the lines of what I'm talking about. My cousin essentially had a full shed, I was fairly impressed with their security.

Belmont31R
03-25-14, 18:24
I would find a really trusted friend to store them for you. Meaning long enough history, no financial troubles, no legal issues, ect.

I would not trust any type of military storage. I had an expensive Chris Reeves knife go missing, and various other experiences where the only thing you should trust is disposable shit.

FlyingHunter
03-25-14, 18:27
Get a safe, even a cheaper one at your parents house.

1. Your parents may find utility in the safe e.g. their own valuables when on vacation
2. Storage unit cost per month, very rough avg, non-climate controlled $50/mo. x 3 years out of CONUS = $1,800.
3. For much less than $1,800 you can buy a decent big box store safe. For $1,800 bucks you can get a strong safe.

Grand58742
03-25-14, 19:32

Couldn't tell you. All I know is when I PCSed to Germany the TMO folks asked if I wanted to use government storage while I was gone. I considered it, but they specifically said firearms were not recommended to be stored because they were a "high pilfer item." If it was a random Joe telling me this, I'd give it the due concern. But when the TMO folks that are responsible for arranging for the storage of said items don't recommend it, I paid way closer attention.

Eurodriver
03-25-14, 19:47
Couldn't tell you. All I know is when I PCSed to Germany the TMO folks asked if I wanted to use government storage while I was gone. I considered it, but they specifically said firearms were not recommended to be stored because they were a "high pilfer item." If it was a random Joe telling me this, I'd give it the due concern. But when the TMO folks that are responsible for arranging for the storage of said items don't recommend it, I paid way closer attention.

TMO storage is not what we're talking about. No way in hell I'd let TMO guerillas store any of my shit. We're talking, at least I think, about a storage unit area run by MCCS (AAFES?) or civilian contractors. Like Extra Space Storage or something similar. I know Marine Corps Base Hawaii had it. Served me really well for a few months while I lived in the bricks before I EAS'd.

Get a safe, even a cheaper one at your parents house.

1. Your parents may find utility in the safe e.g. their own valuables when on vacation
2. Storage unit cost per month, very rough avg, non-climate controlled $50/mo. x 3 years out of CONUS = $1,800.
3. For much less than $1,800 you can buy a decent big box store safe. For $1,800 bucks you can get a strong safe.

This is great advice until your mom gets mad at you when you're on the other side of the planet and sells all your shit at a gun show.

Wake27
03-25-14, 20:24
I know I can keep them at my parents house without any problems for as long as I want. The downside then, is that I won't have them for 3 years.

GotAmmo
03-25-14, 20:35
Schofield does not have storage units on base. Whether you live on or off base, you must register your firearms with HPD. When I was stationed at Schofield, I lived off base for a time and home break ins were prevalent, even apartments while you're sleeping.

There are many climate controlled storage places on Oahu. I used Uhaul and I had 24 hr access with a Card Key to get in main door before getting to my storage unit.

I just finished a 12 month deployment and had my firearms in a Pelican case, stashed in the back of my UHaul storage bin. They came out untarnished

GotAmmo
03-25-14, 20:38

I've PCS'd CONUS with firearms and every TMO has told me to carry them with. The shipping process isn't secure. I just received my HHGs off the Semi-Truck yesterday and there were 4 other shipments on the truck and neither were completely secured. The movers will just swipe anything and of course everyone with their hands in the cookie jar will have amnesia

Wake27
03-26-14, 05:25
Schofield does not have storage units on base. Whether you live on or off base, you must register your firearms with HPD. When I was stationed at Schofield, I lived off base for a time and home break ins were prevalent, even apartments while you're sleeping.

There are many climate controlled storage places on Oahu. I used Uhaul and I had 24 hr access with a Card Key to get in main door before getting to my storage unit.

I just finished a 12 month deployment and had my firearms in a Pelican case, stashed in the back of my UHaul storage bin. They came out untarnished

Good to know, thanks.

OldState
03-26-14, 05:50
I'm sure you checked, but be careful what you bring. Hawaii is a pretty antigun State. I think there is a 10 rnd mag limit at least and I'm sure some other BS

My cousin was a Marine officer and was stationed at various places including Hawaii and San Diego. He just left his guns with my Uncle.

Honu
03-26-14, 06:13
have fun and enjoy the islands and get some time to visit the other ones !
being a Maui boy I had guns but never had issues mostly cause cops can look the other way for some but not others !! and Hawaii is not gun friendly political but you will find most cool locals love guns and hunting and shooting !!
try to get out some some pig hunts local style with dogs and a knife !

sounds like gotammo knows the Oahu military side ?

for sure petty theft and stuff is HUGE out there sadly !!! and car theft is huge was like #3 or #4 in the US !!!
cheap rubber slippers and nothing else on beach days ! locals will steal nice sandals even
lucky its just a % but sadly its a big enough that ruin it

but there are more that are just flat out great people !!!!

for fun :)
know Haole boy can be used as a negative and a OK thing just learn when its negative :) and know when a local says eh you haole boy you like beef :) he is not asking if you like hamburger its what he want to turn you into :)

if you get a condo don't get ground floor !
just like any city or place good areas bad areas avoid the bad and its no worries

best of luck and again have fun !!! lots of killer stuff to do

TMS951
03-26-14, 08:50
Does Hawaii not have some pretty extensive bans? Have you looked into what you can even legally bring there regardless of where you keep it?

OldState
03-26-14, 09:18
Does Hawaii not have some pretty extensive bans? Have you looked into what you can even legally bring there regardless of where you keep it?

I know of 10 round mags and "assault pistols", what ever the hell that means. Its in court right now, but you can basically forget CCW. There are nonknow CCW permits in the entire state!

Its like a tropical New Jersey

Eurodriver
03-26-14, 10:23
I've PCS'd CONUS with firearms and every TMO has told me to carry them with. The shipping process isn't secure. I just received my HHGs off the Semi-Truck yesterday and there were 4 other shipments on the truck and neither were completely secured. The movers will just swipe anything and of course everyone with their hands in the cookie jar will have amnesia

I think there is still some confusion here. I'm not talking about TMO storage, nor am I talking about a HHG shipment. When I left MCBH, the local bruddahs that moved my shit back home were a bunch of assholes. I wouldn't have trusted them (And didn't) with anything worth much more than a television. You're right, those shipments aren't secure at all. They basically put your stuff in cardboard boxes and nail a wooden crate shut.

For permanent storage of firearms on-island - if someone lives in the barracks as an E5 or below (on the Marine side) your options are very limited. You can go the storage unit route or the unit armory. Either way, you're going to have to register them with the state and the base, unless you never intend on bringing them on base - ever. If you choose the armory, you can't just stash the pelican case up on top of the M16 racks and call it a day. They will have to visibly inspect your weapon every month during their MSI and you'll require a letter every time you wish to take the rifle out for use. This presents even more issues because either A) You'll have to find a place to store the rifle if you take the rifle out and want to return it when the armory isn't open, or B) You'll really piss of the armorers who have to come in and open the armory up for you on a weekend (Not a simple task). Also don't forget the ridiculous requirements for a handgun in that state. I'm not sure if you need to do it for just purchases or ownership, but I know I had to present a letter from my command stating that I was a Pistol instructor and that I satisfied all of the requirements for a pistol permit.

I went the on base storage unit route because it was close and I trusted it a bit more than going to some local-run unit out in town. I also think MCBH's Storage units are available to Army soldiers as well. Maybe the OP could just put his shit in there. After living in Oahu for a few years, I've concluded that Honu is one of a very select few of nice Hawaiians so I made sure to store my valuables accordingly. ;) Also, because of the registration laws you're not allowed to leave them at a friend's house out in town or any of that nonsense, although many people do.

P.S. OP, visit OGC Tactical when you get a chance. They're the only gun store on Oahu that doesn't charge $750+ for a Glock. Good dudes.

Never, ever, under any circumstances, ever visit Kaneohe Gun Shop or Magnum. Magnum will dime you out to the police and Daniel at KGS will verbally berate you as an idiot if you ask him any questions.

Wake27
03-26-14, 14:29

From my reading, the only real bans (at least that affect me) or 10 round mags for pistols. Nothing on rifles.

Honu
03-26-14, 15:33
I think to Oahu and being military is going to be tougher especially if you are single and go to bars and stuff :) nothing wrong with that at all :) but for sure meet the locals who want to beef
once you go to parks etc.. as a couple meet others in a condo kinda place and stuff is when you can start meeting the rest of the folks
and reason I lived on Maui ;) living on Oahu is kinda like any big city anywhere just on a island :) I do think Oahu is the most unfriendly island :( Maui being the coolest

GotAmmo
03-27-14, 14:57
I got all that

I was at Schofield from 01-09 ... was the Armorer for my Unit for 2 yrs. There were no on-base storage units when I was there, unless them expanding into the pineapple fields created some extra space.

Again unless things have changed, the closest storage places near Schofield are in Kapolei and maybe Ewa Beach. So based on where Wake decides to move, he'll have a good drive to any storage site. Some Army Installations have switched to allow Married Soldiers who live ON-BASE to store firearms in there Base residence. May want to call Schofield Housing to confirm if they have gone this route. You're an Officer so you obviously wont be in the Barracks.

The Hale Koa is easier to get into when PCSing in than the Schofield Inn and is cheaper. Tho it is deep downtown Waikiki and a hell of a drive when you are inprocessing

Kind of wishing I would have accepted the assignment back to Schofield, but I picked Carson for my last 4 yrs

Wake27
03-27-14, 15:56
I got all that

I was at Schofield from 01-09 ... was the Armorer for my Unit for 2 yrs. There were no on-base storage units when I was there, unless them expanding into the pineapple fields created some extra space.

Again unless things have changed, the closest storage places near Schofield are in Kapolei and maybe Ewa Beach. So based on where Wake decides to move, he'll have a good drive to any storage site. Some Army Installations have switched to allow Married Soldiers who live ON-BASE to store firearms in there Base residence. May want to call Schofield Housing to confirm if they have gone this route. You're an Officer so you obviously wont be in the Barracks.

The Hale Koa is easier to get into when PCSing in than the Schofield Inn and is cheaper. Tho it is deep downtown Waikiki and a hell of a drive when you are inprocessing

Kind of wishing I would have accepted the assignment back to Schofield, but I picked Carson for my last 4 yrs

Where have you heard that? That's the first time I've heard of this, but it would solve just about all of my problems haha.

ETA - Looks like you're right. The housing community's renter handbook states very clearly that as long as the weapons are properly registered through HPD and the post, they can be stored in housing. I'm going to double check with the post today, but so far so good. Thanks, this just made everything a lot easier.