PDA

View Full Version : Matching the RIGHT powder and bullet for barrel longevity.

markm
03-25-14, 15:18
I mentioned this topic in a few threads here recently, and I think it's worth posting as its own thread.

From this thread on thefiringline.com

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532039

When you realize that all powders are not equal, and some projectiles create more friction heating in certain types of barrels combined with the twist, rifling and bore coating, there are a few things you can do to prolong barrel life.

There are three parts of the barrel that are of concern, the throat, the gas port and the muzzle. When any of these three are damaged, accuracy will suffer. However, only the gas port is significantly affected by heat. The hot gases make a 90 degree turn (initially) which eventually turns the port into a teardrop kind of oval shape. With some bullets in shorter systems, this can lead to jacket rupture in the bore. Muzzle device strikes and "vaporizing" bullets are typically due to a worn gas port combined with other factors.

The faster the twist, the higher the burn rate temperature and the faster the bullet is pushed are the factors that really "cook" barrels. Chrome-lined, 1/7 twist, hot and slower powders (such as Varget) with light bullets has been a problematic recipe for heat related barrel damage.

When I ran some tests for a manufacturer in such a barrel with 50 grain bullets pushed at 3300 fps, the surface temp of the barrel after 100 round beta mag dump was about 105 degrees hotter than a sister barrel shooting 77 grain slugs at 2800 fps with a cooler powder. The peak temp on the hotter load occurred 75 seconds after the last round was fired and just 12 seconds after the last round on the cooler load. Those 100 round mag dumps were just over 14 seconds, or just under 7 rounds per second. It was slower than the FA rate the barrels were intended to be used at, but the hassle of a FA lower was not worth it. When the barrels were examined with digital x-ray, I was able to see gas port erosion on the barrel that was run hotter around the 1400 round mark. The one that was run cooler, not until just past 11,000 rounds was I able to detect any gas port erosion. In the 1/9 barrels, pretty much all else equal, gas port erosion was first detected at about 7,000 rounds.

If you have fast twist barrels, light bullets, especially with hot slow powders, should be avoided. I avoid anything under 55g in 1/7 and 1/8 barrels and anything lighter than 50g in 1/9 barrels. The new VDC coatings (what I was actually testing) do perform much better than chrome lined when exposed to high heat cycles. Lengthening gas systems also helps.

Barrels can have the extension removed, cut off 0.05" and be re-chambered, so too can barrels be re-crowned ever easier. Granted the cost to re-chamber and re-crown is not insignificant. You can't fix gas port erosion except by using loads that don't cause increased wear in the first place.

TomMcC
03-25-14, 15:56
Is there a hot to cool powder list of any sort? I would very much be interested in that.

TomD
03-25-14, 16:17
Yea, just enough info to create MANY questions but good info! Never would have considered this.

markm
03-25-14, 17:51
I'm not sure, TomMcC.

I'll tell you this.... W748 is marketed as a cool burning powder and it's about the same burn rate as Varget. And I've found 748 flashes DRAMATICALLY less than H335, for example. Even when loaded to higher velocities than H335.

I'm not sure if it's so much the burn temp or the burn rate... or a combo of both. It seems that if you just avoid the combo of a 1/7, light bullet, and slow powder, you're probably ok. I think it is at least partially a function of the reduced dwell time as the light bullet passes the port with more unburned powder when you run a slower propellant.

Onyx Z
03-25-14, 19:36
Regardless of bullet weight, I would think Varget in general (light or heavy bullets) is the same in regards to heat and barrel life? I understand the velocity difference from a lighter bullet, but the burn rate of the powder remains the same. Say an 18" barrrel w/ Intermediate or Rifle gas running Varget and 77gr SMK's. What are your thoughts on this in reference to heat/barrel life/etc.? What about TAC compared to Varget? I know I'm fine for a good while, just curious.

I was always under the impression slower burning = cooler... but I never put much thought into it since I probably won't shoot out any of my barrels. My precision rifle loves Varget, so that powder is pretty much dedicated to hunting. I try to run something easier to throw (TAC) for range days.

FWIW, I never run anything less than 70 or 77gr bullets with either Varget or TAC.

Symmetry
03-25-14, 20:05
Hrmm, so I'm guessing moderately fast burning powder, 55gr bullets, and a 1/7 16" chrome lined barrel middy wouldn't be a problem?

Airhasz
03-25-14, 20:11
The way I read it unless you are doing tons of mag dumps without letting the barrel cool off there is no problem.

markm
03-26-14, 08:56
but the burn rate of the powder remains the same. Say an 18" barrrel w/ Intermediate or Rifle gas running Varget and 77gr SMK's. What are your thoughts on this in reference to heat/barrel life/etc.? What about TAC compared to Varget? I know I'm fine for a good while, just curious.

Burn rate remains the same... but the dwell time when pushing a heavier bullet allows the powder to burn longer before hitting the port. TAC is a bit faster than Varget. But the bottom line is, if you're running 77s, you're fine.

Hrmm, so I'm guessing moderately fast burning powder, 55gr bullets, and a 1/7 16" chrome lined barrel middy wouldn't be a problem?

The middy port location alone will reduce the problem. It's that much more time that the charge has to burn before being exposed to the propellant gasses. But yeah.. medium burn powder too?... like TAC, XBR, 4895, etc. I'd say you'd be fine.

markm
03-26-14, 09:02
The way I read it unless you are doing tons of mag dumps without letting the barrel cool off there is no problem.

When he can illustrate a 1400 vs. 11,000 rounds, there's something there. If you take it to slow fire and the erosion goes to 10,000 rounds instead of 30,000 rounds... it's still something that can be avoided by loading with the right powder.

opngrnd
03-26-14, 09:47
Assuming we're using a powder chart like the one from Hodgdon, exactly what powders are in the fast vs medium vs slow categories? Where are we generally drawing the line here? If H322 is fast, would that make H335 medium and BL(C)-2 slow?

markm
03-26-14, 11:12
BL(C) 2 is slightly slower than Varget... right there with CFE and 748. Yeah... H322 is on the fast end, H335 is about medium/fast.

4895 and TAC seem to be in the middle of the pack.

Koshinn
03-26-14, 11:33
Know anything about Alliant's AR Comp?

markm
03-26-14, 12:31
Know anything about Alliant's AR Comp?

Wasn't it supposed to be a temp stabile version of RE 15? If so... RE 15 is ranked just a few slots faster than Varget. RE12 is the medium speed powder.

TomMcC
03-27-14, 11:11
I'm a bit confused Markm. In the OP MarkCO uses the term "burn rate temperature". Do you know if he is relating "burn rate" (speed of burn) to the temperature of the burn? So faster powders burn hotter?

markm
03-27-14, 11:27
I do not know. His post is somewhat confusing in that regard. Burn temp and rate seem to be two different things. I'm not sure if his post is post is poorly worded, or if there's a deeper understanding that we don't yet grasp.

Tspeis
03-27-14, 20:35
Good info, thanks for posting. In case I missed it somewhere, what are VDC coatings and what advantages do they offer over chrome lining?

Tspeis

DBR
03-27-14, 21:36
Based on what I have read, a major factor in powder burn temp is the amount of nitroglycerine in the powder. That means double based powders are hotter - some times a lot hotter - than single based powders. This is irrespective of burn rate.

Another factor is heavier bullets generally use less powder than lighter bullets. Less powder means less energy and that means less total (calories, watts, joules etc) heat to dissipate.

markm
03-28-14, 08:49
This would tend to make me believe that it's burn rate over burn temp that was causing port erosion. Varget being single based... but still causing the rabid erosion with a light bullet.

TomMcC
03-28-14, 16:42
I've heard the nitro angle too, but it's always been anecdotal. Hard science might exist on this.....I just haven't seen it.

bigedp51
03-29-14, 03:38
At 43,000 cup or 47,000 psi the peak flame temperature of the burning powder is just reaching the melting point of modern barrel steels.

The higher the chamber pressure the more erosion the barrel will have, if you want your barrels to last longer shoot slower and don't load as hot. At the higher pressures 53,000 psi and above the powder is burning at approximately 3200 to 3400 degrees F and cartridges like the .222 operated at 46,000 cup or 50,000 psi and were easy on brass and barrels because of the lower pressures and lower peak flame temperature .

The .223/5.56 loaded with a 55 grain bullet and 25 grains of H335 depending on the case capacity of the brass will be 50,000 psi or lower. It will make a good practice load, and be easy on your brass and barrels and is only loaded 5,000 psi lower than the max rated pressure.