PDA

View Full Version : So The SIG P227 Is Still Gonna Be A POS Right...?

SteyrAUG
03-25-14, 16:54
Never before have I wanted a handgun that I have so much "fair warning" about. SIG finally comes out with a double stack .45 P series. It has everything I want in a high capacity .45 from ergos to light rails.

But every time I look at it I think COHEN. Haven't heard of any QC developments or improvements at SIG. Still the same right?

cwgibson
03-25-14, 17:06
The instructor of the class I just attended spoke very highly of it. He didn't seem to be a propaganda type as he had very good things to say about the PPQ and some other handguns/rifles I asked him about. I have shot one of my buddies that has about 2k rounds through it with no problems reported. I can't speak directly to the Sig related problems as all mine have had no issues. I hope to buy one later this year myself. I haven't run them as hard as I'm sure some have, but as long as I have used the sig factory mags they have been fine.

Rekkr870
03-25-14, 17:09
My SIG handguns run great. I believe the post-2012 handguns are good to go. I have heard nothing but good things about the newer SIG handguns. Personally they are my favorite handguns to shoot.

Having said that, I've had more than a couple "revered" pistols go tits up from normal use.

I say give it a go. If you don't like it, sell the damn thing to me. :)

Dmaynor
03-25-14, 17:12
I have two: a regular and a equinox. They both work real well. Note: I am a sig fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talon167
03-25-14, 17:59
I have a 229 40 and 226 Combat I bought within the last few years. (2011, actually). About 6800 rounds between the two. Not one failure. Both passed the "2000 challenge."

The 229 sits next to me at night.

Just sayin'.

signal4l
03-25-14, 18:15
The Indiana State Police just issued the 227.

If we have s trooper om the board, he might be a good source of info

gtmtnbiker98
03-25-14, 20:28
Don't believe everything you read on the Interwebs, the dumbass to noise ratio is very high.

There's nothing wrong with the P227.

joe138
03-25-14, 20:40
The Indiana State Police are issuing the P227. From all accounts they seem to like it. I know one of the instructors that is travelling around the state for the transition training, and he said that he has not seen a malfunction.

pat701
03-25-14, 20:55
I would trust it!! But i am a Sig man.

Nra-Life-Member
03-25-14, 21:00
Never before have I wanted a handgun that I have so much "fair warning" about. SIG finally comes out with a double stack .45 P series. It has everything I want in a high capacity .45 from ergos to light rails.

But every time I look at it I think COHEN. Haven't heard of any QC developments or improvements at SIG. Still the same right?

Who is Cohen?

orlanger
03-25-14, 22:16
Who is Cohen?

He's the dude running Sig Sauer these days and some say responsible for the degradation of the quality and brand as a whole. I've carried a Sig every day going on 18 years and have observed first hand the lapse in quality. Sig should stick to what made them "Sig".

Sig ain't what it used to be...Golden Dragon, Nightmare, Black Diamond Plate, Oooo Ahhh Carry Nightmare, ...please. But I digress...Ron Cohen is the President and CEO of Sig Sauer.

gun71530
03-25-14, 22:32
He's the dude running Sig Sauer these days and some say responsible for the degradation of the quality and brand as a whole. I've carried a Sig every day going on 18 years and have observed first hand the lapse in quality. Sig should stick to what made them "Sig".

Sig ain't what it used to be...Golden Dragon, Nightmare, Black Diamond Plate, Oooo Ahhh Carry Nightmare, ...please. But I digress...Ron Cohen is the President and CEO of Sig Sauer.

I agree that Sig makes some dumbshit, but the P series are still solid performers in my experience.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Nra-Life-Member
03-25-14, 22:33

My dealer always references someone at Sig as SILVER TONGUE - is this him??

orlanger
03-25-14, 22:36
...but the P series are still solid performers in my experience.

I agree. But not as good as they once were.

gun71530
03-25-14, 22:42
I agree. But not as good as they once were.

Just curious, but what issues have you had?

Magic_Salad0892
03-25-14, 23:08

I still think that the P226/P229/P220 are good to go. I think a P227 is worth the risk going in.

orlanger
03-25-14, 23:08
Just curious, but what issues have you had?

PM inbound

teutonicpolymer
03-25-14, 23:22
maybe if sigs weren't as expensive as they are I would get one...

with gssf pricing the glock 41 is like $507 - easy pick in my book

robm
03-26-14, 08:13
I just bought one and first impressions are good. I have a casual 800 rounds through it, but so far its been 100%. What kind info/ testing would you guys want to see if one were to do a review? I'm interested in doing some sort of write up with photos, and I do plan to shoot the shit out of it at the range and in classes to see how it holds up.

Battlepack
03-26-14, 15:56
I just had to have one even though I'm a 1911 guy. Picked up a standard full size nitron with rail. I also dropped in a short reset kit since the Sig guys say that is a must-have.

I've been leery of Sigs due to the Cohen factor also (along with a crappy SigPro many years ago), but figured the P series would be good to go. About 500 rounds thru it, but I had a bad magazine that was causing some FTFs. No more problems since the mag was shipped back to Sig. I've just got to learn how to shoot a DA/SA, along with changing my grip so my thumb doesn't ride the slide release lever. I say go for it!

Austin Millbarge
03-26-14, 17:27
Put 200 rounds through my 227 Carry SAS. Love it, shoots great and functions 100%.

I also put almost 500 through a full size 320 in 9mm. Probably the best striker fired trigger I have ever felt. Better than my Glocks, and M&P's. Very nice trigger on the 320.

SteyrAUG
03-26-14, 17:55
Don't believe everything you read on the Interwebs, the dumbass to noise ratio is very high.

There's nothing wrong with the P227.

My concern is things like MIM parts which didn't exist with older SIGs. I have a bunch of pre Cohen SIGs and it is easily my favorite handgun, been carrying 226s since 1985.

TAZ
03-26-14, 18:10
My concern is things like MIM parts which didn't exist with older SIGs. I have a bunch of pre Cohen SIGs and it is easily my favorite handgun, been carrying 226s since 1985.

MIM done correctly works fine. Got a chance to fondle a 227 a while ago. Felt nice in the hand. Even my dwarf fingers could access the controls relatively nicely. Not a big fan of the DA/SA thing but that's a personal thing. Would love to see if someone makes a set of thin grips for it just to make the ergos for my dwarfish fingers better. I may be tempted to get back into a 45 with that one and the 41.

Rekkr870
03-26-14, 20:41

Was the move to MIM just to cut cost or are there any advantages? Aren't the HK line of handguns full of MIM as well? I'm not trying to be an ass I am honestly curious.

ritepath
03-26-14, 20:43
I went to pick up a 227 back around mid summer, I didn't think it felt as nice as the p220. Soooooo I "saved" 500 bucks picking up a Ruger SR45 at the time.

I picked up a p220 a few weeks ago. One failure so far an that was a OL problem...I'm really liking the 220 so far, I may try a set of E2 grips just to see how they feel.

Sensei
03-26-14, 21:43
Was the move to MIM just to cut cost or are there any advantages? Aren't the HK line of handguns full of MIM as well? I'm not trying to be an ass I am honestly curious.

It was largely a cost issue. Sig could not compete in the polymer revolution of the past decade without it. The first few years were rough as Sig ran into quality problems with small parts procurement. Recently, it seems that they have refined there manufacturing and quality of the P-series is doing better. Is it back to German standards? Who knows.

Yes, companies like HK, Glock, etc. use well made MIM parts.

SteyrAUG
03-26-14, 21:47
MIM done correctly works fine. Got a chance to fondle a 227 a while ago. Felt nice in the hand. Even my dwarf fingers could access the controls relatively nicely. Not a big fan of the DA/SA thing but that's a personal thing. Would love to see if someone makes a set of thin grips for it just to make the ergos for my dwarfish fingers better. I may be tempted to get back into a 45 with that one and the 41.

My concern is the MIM not being done correctly. Looking at the whole 556/551A1 fiasco gives me big concerns when it comes to SIG USA doing anything correctly.

I don't know. My most recent HK handguns are USPs purchased in the 90s. Based upon the issues I've seen related to the SIG 556 rifles my concern is the MIM was done as a cost cutting issue and the QC suffered. Many recognized experts acknowledged this problem with SIG years ago on this forum.

To be clear, the P227 is everything I'd ever want from a SIG handgun. I've sworn by SIGs since 1985 when I got my first P226. But my concern is the previously mentioned QC issues. I wouldn't be buying a P227 as just a range toy. I'm just wondering if anything has changed for the better at SIG regarding production quality in recent years.

SteyrAUG
03-26-14, 21:49
Recently, it seems that they have refined there manufacturing and quality of the P-series is doing better. Is it back to German standards? Who knows.

That really is the question I'm asking. Wish Tim was still on the forums, seemed he had a lot of inside knowledge regarding SIG.

El Cid
03-26-14, 22:03
My understanding is that the Sigs were pulled from FBI service because they kept seeing cracks in the frame rails. Nothing MIM about that. There are still a handful of personally owned (grandfathered) Sigs in use, but the last of the issued weapons were replaced with Glocks in 2006/07.

I have always loved the ergos of the 226 and would love to try a 227 or 226 SAO (or perhaps DAK) if I was convinced they were good to go.

Rekkr870
03-26-14, 22:27
It was largely a cost issue. Sig could not compete in the polymer revolution of the past decade without it. The first few years were rough as Sig ran into quality problems with small parts procurement. Recently, it seems that they have refined there manufacturing and quality of the P-series is doing better. Is it back to German standards? Who knows.

Yes, companies like HK, Glock, etc. use well made MIM parts.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. From my experience, the newer SIG handguns are good to go. I'd hate to see great handguns like the 226, 227, and 229 not make the cut due to terrible QC.

graffex
03-26-14, 22:28
If only it weren't DA/SA I'd give it a shot. I can't understand why in 2014 anyone would be making guns with a 10 pound tigger pull, it's just silly. Give me a light constant trigger or just the single action only. And ambi controls are a must for me as a lefty other than that I love the feel of sigs and there accuracy and trigger in SA mode.

Rekkr870
03-26-14, 22:30
My understanding is that the Sigs were pulled from FBI service because they kept seeing cracks in the frame rails. Nothing MIM about that. There are still a handful of personally owned (grandfathered) Sigs in use, but the last of the issued weapons were replaced with Glocks in 2006/07.

I have always loved the ergos of the 226 and would love to try a 227 or 226 SAO (or perhaps DAK) if I was convinced they were good to go.

Did these happen to be W. German SIGs? I seem to recall that the W. German guns had problems with the roll pin in the slide breaking and the breech block having a slight wobble. This in turn made the frame rails crack. Or is this a new problem all together?

SteyrAUG
03-27-14, 01:03
If only it weren't DA/SA I'd give it a shot. I can't understand why in 2014 anyone would be making guns with a 10 pound tigger pull, it's just silly. Give me a light constant trigger or just the single action only. And ambi controls are a must for me as a lefty other than that I love the feel of sigs and there accuracy and trigger in SA mode.

Well because not everyone wants to carry a Glock. I grew up being trained with DA/SA so that is my "normal" and I shoot as well as people who grew up trained on revolvers or the new guys who grew up trained with Glocks.

I personally shoot much better with my SIG than a do with my Glocks. I understand the attraction of a consistent, light trigger pull but that comes with it's problems as well as it's advantages.

Rekkr870
03-27-14, 07:49
Well because not everyone wants to carry a Glock. I grew up being trained with DA/SA so that is my "normal" and I shoot as well as people who grew up trained on revolvers or the new guys who grew up trained with Glocks.

I personally shoot much better with my SIG than a do with my Glocks. I understand the attraction of a consistent, light trigger pull but that comes with it's problems as well as it's advantages.

Agreed. I shoot Glocks well but I shoot SIGs better. The main thing for me is that I actually enjoy shooting SIG DA/SA handguns and it does not feel like a chore to me, unlike Glock.

To each his own, and all that.

Psalms144.1
03-27-14, 08:08
I'd give it a year, and let some of the larger purchasers (State police agencies) wring them out on the street. If they work under hard use on duty, then I'd give it a go.

The P227 fascinates me as well, and I really don't mind the Sig DA/SA. What kills the gun for me is (a) weight (I KNOW I don't want to hump that much steel on my belt every day, no matter HOW good of a belt it is!) and (b) cost. I can almost by a pair of Glock or S&W polymer .45s for the cost of a P227; that just sticks in my craw.

Sensei
03-27-14, 10:21
That really is the question I'm asking. Wish Tim was still on the forums, seemed he had a lot of inside knowledge regarding SIG.

Today's Sigs are definitely different (E2 grips, short trigger, long extractor, etc.), but I can't say they are any more or less durable / reliable. Some people grumble about the long extractor, but it's not as pervasive as Glock's fiasco with the initial release of the Gen4 guns 3 years ago.

Personally, I think they are back up to snuff in their P-series. The fact that Todd Green is wringing one out on another forum is also a good sign given his history with Sig.

gtmtnbiker98
03-27-14, 11:40
MIM isn't the evil monster it is said to be, if it is implemented correctly. HK has been using MIM for years along with S&W and various other manufacturers. How often do we really hear about MIM parts failing? I mean, can anybody name one instance where a systemic problem was created as a result of MIM parts being used. Not one or two individual instances, I mean a widespread instance.

I also was one who avoided newer SIG pistols like a case of Herpes. However, I have picked up a few since September starting with the buy back of my duty weapon. Purchasing my P229R .40/.357 back sort of rekindled my passion for SIG. In December I picked up a MK25 and later picked up a second MK25 in January. My MK25's resemble the same quality as my pre 2004 P229's. I later picked up a P224 .40 in February and just received a P227 a few weeks ago. No problems with any of them.

Now, with full disclosure, my second MK25 is a factory replacement for one that was sent back. The slide literally ate the frame rails to the point that it was unserviceable, hence the replacement.

M-FOURTEEN
03-27-14, 11:47
Closing in on 900rds of WWB through my P227. Not one jam, misfeed, or anything.

It's become my go to hand gun.

Austin Millbarge
03-27-14, 17:27
Another 250 rounds through mine today. It has been flawless so far.

El Cid
03-27-14, 19:13
Did these happen to be W. German SIGs? I seem to recall that the W. German guns had problems with the roll pin in the slide breaking and the breech block having a slight wobble. This in turn made the frame rails crack. Or is this a new problem all together?

I don't know where they were manufactured. What you're offering sounds reasonable and it can't be a new problem as the guns have been gone for 8 years now.

Nra-Life-Member
03-27-14, 22:51
An unhappy P227 owner with a broken roll pin

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-handguns/253110-my-sig-sauer-p227-broke-hd.html

SteyrAUG
03-28-14, 00:23
An unhappy P227 owner with a broken roll pin

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-handguns/253110-my-sig-sauer-p227-broke-hd.html

That and the link to the SIG forums with another guy having problems doesn't fill me with confidence. Think I'll stay in "wait and see" mode for a bit.

CRAMBONE
03-28-14, 07:01
Picked up a standard full size nitron with rail. I also dropped in a short reset kit since the Sig guys say that is a must have.
I put a SRT kit in my wife's 239 9mm, still waiting on the thin trigger itself to be in stock, but at this point I can't tell a damn bit of difference.

And I just wish Sig would bring the 228R back out for a limited run, or at least put a rail on the M11.

Rekkr870
03-28-14, 08:36
That and the link to the SIG forums with another guy having problems doesn't fill me with confidence. Think I'll stay in "wait and see" mode for a bit.

You could wait and see. On the other hand, two guns out of how many that have been sold? I do not believe any manufacturer can produce the perfect gun.

Most people on this forum understand that the only guns you ever hear about are the ones that have problems and get posted on the internet.

Personally I would give it a go. If it breaks, SIG will probably make it right. No gun is perfect.

No compromise, right? :)
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/28/avabu8a7.jpg

SteyrAUG
03-28-14, 11:56
You could wait and see. On the other hand, two guns out of how many that have been sold? I do not believe any manufacturer can produce the perfect gun.

Most people on this forum understand that the only guns you ever hear about are the ones that have problems and get posted on the internet.

Personally I would give it a go. If it breaks, SIG will probably make it right. No gun is perfect.

No compromise, right? :)
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/28/avabu8a7.jpg

But it's more than two guns, the link to SIG forums had lots of people chiming in on the same issue.

Also if you read the link provided, the guy had to go through a LOT for SIG to finally make it right. I just don't need one that bad.

Rekkr870
03-28-14, 12:00
But it's more than two guns, the link to SIG forums had lots of people chiming in on the same issue.

Also if you read the link provided, the guy had to go through a LOT for SIG to finally make it right. I just don't need one that bad.

Roger that. Maybe they can get their shit together. Only time will tell.

gtmtnbiker98
03-28-14, 19:37
Nothin' like Internet gun advice!

Symmetry
03-28-14, 21:03
Having been part of agency purchases of Sigs, I can say that they just aren't built like they were in the old days. The attention to detail such as chips in the finish, steel burrs inside the pistol and on the rails, magazines that don't function properly, main springs that are weak out of the box, and parts that break more often are common issues that we have seen. Our last purchase was in 2012, and I have had bring many of these issues to the Sig Fed representative resulting in about 25% of our newer guns going back to the factory. Basically as a consumer I figure you have a 75% chance with each new Sig you buy that it will work just fine. Unfortunately we are stuck with Sigs as our only authorized pistols for duty use. Many agencies are trapped into just continuing old contracts initiated in the 1990s because of two reasons. Fed agency pistols cannot be traded to recoup the cost of new firearms, and the contracting process of competitive bidding often results in getting equipment that you did not want(not to mention losers will contest and sue the agency as Sig attempted to do with the BATF).

I have heard rumors that Sig is improving their quality. At this point, I do not believe it. I just think that Sig is making an effort to put out their own propaganda keep up their sales. I guess I am one of the few old timers that remembers how the last of the W. German Sigs were new right out of the box(not that I'm that old, I just started using them in the Navy at 18). Interestingly enough, many of us seek out the older models and carry these guns in place of using the newer Sigs.

SteyrAUG
03-28-14, 22:16
Nothin' like Internet gun advice!

Depends who you listen to. Thankfully if you are around long enough you know who is who.

Sensei
03-28-14, 23:59
Depends who you listen to. Thankfully if you are around long enough you know who is who.

I looked through 5 pages of sigforum's website and only found 1 person with an issue - a broken sear pin. I have 2 P227s and they seem to be in working order so far. The full size has only 150 rounds through it and I just picked up the SAS 2 days ago. I'm waiting on a couple of Bruce Grey's Precision Intermediate Triggers before I shoot them again; I get a nasty over-travel bite from the factory short trigger. Otherwise, I did find that my RCS Phantom for my non-railed P220 fits my P227 SAS with just a little extra holster length...one of life's little victories.

My only other Post-2012 Sig purchases were a P228 rail (German), M11-A1, and MK25. The P228 is coming up on its first recoil spring change at 5K without issue. The M11-A1 and MK25 each have less than 500 rounds and will also get a new triggers before I shoot them again for the previously mentioned reason. They are back-up weapons to my 90's era P226's and P229's that have at least 15,000 rounds on them over 2 decades.

signal4l
03-29-14, 11:18
My agency just acquired over 70 new SIGs. These were manufactured in the last half of 2013. We have had to replace all of the trigger bars and safety levers. Our guns are P220 and P226 .40s. Ours had the wrong srt levers installed in addition to the out of spec trigger bars.

The 227 is a newer design. I hope it is built to a higher level of quality than our guns.

I have carried a Sig for more than 15 years as a duty weapon. My older Sigs run great. My experience with the new ones is less than favorable

Psalms144.1
03-29-14, 12:30
Signal4l - we had more than our fair share of problems when we transitioned from P228s to P229R DAKs and P239 DAKs in .40. Color me underwhelmed with newer Sigs.

But, folks that I trust implicitly tell me that they've seen an up swing at Sig indicative of a possible return to their old level of quality. Hope springs eternal...

Rekkr870
03-29-14, 12:37
The only way were going to know for sure is by waiting it out I guess. Let's see some with a few thousand rounds and it'll be much easier to decide.

I've got two SIGs that run great. A P229 in 357SIG/.40 and a P229 in 9mm. My small sample size does not say much, but I trust mine. I really hope the 227 works out; this pistol has some great features that make it look very appealing.

Symmetry
03-29-14, 12:51
My agency just acquired over 70 new SIGs. These were manufactured in the last half of 2013. We have had to replace all of the trigger bars and safety levers. Our guns are P220 and P226 .40s. Ours had the wrong srt levers installed in addition to the out of spec trigger bars.

The 227 is a newer design. I hope it is built to a higher level of quality than our guns.

I have carried a Sig for more than 15 years as a duty weapon. My older Sigs run great. My experience with the new ones is less than favorable

The latest propaganda is that Sigs made after 2012 are made under the "new" quality controls. I haven't seen any large Sig purchases that demonstrate the quality is any better.

signal4l
03-29-14, 12:58
The latest propaganda is that Sigs made after 2012 are made under the "new" quality controls. I haven't seen any large Sig purchases that demonstrate the quality is any better.

My experience indicates this to be incorrect. Being a SIG armorer at my department was like being the Maytag repairman. Not much to do. I have been busy lately

Sensei
03-29-14, 17:17

Signal41, would you mind elaborating on the issues with your agencies Sig? I implied from your post that the SRT sear safety levers were a problem. Did Sig put the wrong sear safety levers in your guns? It seems odd that they would screw up both types since the P220 and 226 use different SRT sear safety levers and trigger bars. Was this realized in the armory, or did your agency suffer failures in the field or at qualification that instigated an investigation?

Thanks in advance.

xpd54
03-29-14, 19:14
Out of 25 new 226Rs we just issued, 2 had reset issues. They showed up within 50-75 rounds. Here's a link.

http://youtu.be/81gDUS8o8uU

These are the third round of Sigs we've ordered since we transitioned to Sig in the 90's. These are also the first ones we have had issues with. When we ordered these, I spoke with our Sig rep. He assured me they would all be QC'd and would come with MecGar mags (he said all govt/LE guns came with MC mags). They came with CMI mags. Still waiting to here what Sig is gonna do with these two guns (I'm not handling this part).

signal4l
03-29-14, 19:18
My agency suffered failures with the 226 40 pistols. The SRT levers were binding up with the trigger bar. This happened to 4 different guns. This caused a failure to reset. The triggers actually locked up after the weapons were fired.

One 220 (mine) was found to have a safety lever that was too thick. The weapon still fired, but the trigger reset in a slow, sluggish manner.

SIG determined that the trigger bars were defective. They would not elaborate as to what was wrong with them.

signal4l
03-29-14, 19:57
Out of 25 new 226Rs we just issued, 2 had reset issues. They showed up within 50-75 rounds. Here's a link.

These are the third round of Sigs we've ordered since we transitioned to Sig in the 90's. These are also the first ones we have had issues with. When we ordered these, I spoke with our Sig rep. He assured me they would all be QC'd and would come with MecGar mags (he said all govt/LE guns came with MC mags). They came with CMI mags. Still waiting to here what Sig is gonna do with these two guns (I'm not handling this part).

Our guns failed in the same manner shown in that video

Symmetry
03-29-14, 20:21

We have had quite a bit of problems with the SRT systems on our guns as well. Sig also mixed in Checkmate magazines with our purchases which are absolute dog shit. We actually started pulling out our old reserve P226 and P228 9mms(which aren't nearly as sexy to the new guys as larger calibers with rails) and issued them out to the guys who were using newer Sigs. Our firing lines haven't been this trouble free in years.

Sensei
03-29-14, 20:44

Our guns failed in the same manner shown in that video

Thank you both for the added information. Outside of the SRT trigger reset issues, are you guys seeing other reliability issues that cannot be explained by magazines?

FWIW, I have been outfitting my more recent Sigs with the factory SRT kits from TGS. I do not have nearly enough rounds through these guns to form an educated opinion. However, the consensus on Todd Greens forum is that the SRT is a wise upgrade, and he has more rounds through Sigs than any instructor out there. I have 2 90's era Sigs that have the Bruce Grey reduced reset duty package; they've been very reliable. Then again, they are German...

RHINOWSO
03-29-14, 21:06
I think the P227 will do fine, but I don't see much advantage over a P220 (10 vs 8rds).

YMMV.

signal4l
03-29-14, 21:10
We are still working with SIG to resolve our issues. I was asked to refrain from posting pictures, videos and igniting an internet shitstorm.

My opinion is that the SRT is most problematic with the .40, and presumably .357 SIG, due to slide velocity issues. The disconnector takes a good pounding from the slide with those calibers. The inside corner of the trigger bar makes contact with the safety lever when the gun is fired. This contact is more gentle with the 9mm and .45.

I have several thousand rounds on a P228 with an SRT kit installed. I trust it and carry it occasionally. That is obviously a 9mm. It also has an older trigger bar. I used to own an older 9mm 239 in which I also installed the SRT. It worked very well and was a nice upgrade.

I am not an engineer. I dont know the difference in metallurgy, manufacture between the old trigger bars and the new ones. The new ones feel lighter and more roughly finished. We had another new 226 .40 with a trigger spring that kept popping out of the notch on the trigger bar. This never happened with our older guns.

It is worth noting that the SEAL MK 25 is not equipped with the SRT

I am hopeful that the 227 will be good gun. It is a newer design and may run just fine. Im not going to spend my money to find out.

LoveAR
03-29-14, 21:16
There are three West German made Sig P226's for sale on Gunbroker.

xpd54
03-30-14, 01:14
Our new guns don't have the SRT. They're 9mm.

We sent the video to our Sig guy. He didn't ask me not to post it anywhere.

signal4l
03-30-14, 09:14
Our new guns don't have the SRT. They're 9mm.

We sent the video to our Sig guy. He didn't ask me not to post it anywhere.
Then yours may be a new and exciting problem. Usually the 9mm run very well.

My chief asked me to be nice and keep our materials off the net. Sigs position has been that our problems are highly unusual.

RWH24
04-05-14, 20:55
Texas Dept of Public Safety has been a big purchaser from Sig and was instrumental in the 357Sig caliber. They are in process of changing back to 9mm but with the S&W M&P. GT Distributors is handling S&W again, partially. Tx DPS had 226/229 9mm's, 220 45acp and 226 357 Sig.

Sensei
04-05-14, 22:29
Texas Dept of Public Safety has been a big purchaser from Sig and was instrumental in the 357Sig caliber. They are in process of changing back to 9mm but with the S&W M&P. GT Distributors is handling S&W again, partially. Tx DPS had 226/229 9mm's, 220 45acp and 226 357 Sig.

It looks like the TX DPS transition to S&W may be a no-go.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/2420051053

Robsthestig
04-06-14, 07:52
I am not an engineer. I dont know the difference in metallurgy, manufacture between the old trigger bars and the new ones. The new ones feel lighter and more roughly finished. We had another new 226 .40 with a trigger spring that kept popping out of the notch on the trigger bar. This never happened with our older guns.

This is an issue Im having with my Mk25, not all the time, maybe once or twice per mag, but when I dry fire, it resets fine.

signal4l
04-06-14, 08:56
This is an issue Im having with my Mk25, not all the time, maybe once or twice per mag, but when I dry fire, it resets fine.

Is your issue a trigger reset problem or is the trigger spring popping out?

Robsthestig
04-06-14, 08:59
Is your issue a trigger reset problem or is the trigger spring popping out?

The first time it happened, I popped the grips off, and found that the spring popped out, and it happened once yesterday too. But a few times it didn't reset when shooting, but when I cleared the gun, and dry fired, it worked fine. I pulled the grips, and the spring was still in place. I shot it again, and it failed to reset 2 times the last mag. Cleared it, popped the grips, and its still in place...

signal4l
04-06-14, 09:42
I sent one of our 226 pistols back to SIG due to this problem. They "fixed" it by deepening the notch on the trigger bar.

Robsthestig
04-06-14, 10:00
I figured thats what the problem most likely was, but after the time it happened when shooting, but not dry firing, makes me think its something else. Unless the spring is grabbing somewhere and dislodging, and then reseting...

signal4l
04-06-14, 10:32
The slide hits the disconnector when the weapon is fired. This pushes the trigger bar down. My guess is that an out of spec trigger bar (notch too shallow) will allow the spring to jump out. Dry firing doesnt put the same stress on the gun

Robsthestig
04-06-14, 10:42
Ok great, gonna give them a call at the shop I got it from, and have him send it in for me :/

COZ ZINZKI
04-15-14, 19:44
Agreed. I shoot Glocks well but I shoot SIGs better. The main thing for me is that I actually enjoy shooting SIG DA/SA handguns and it does not feel like a chore to me, unlike Glock.

To each his own, and all that.
I am in the group that believes this.... I thought the SIG P-227 would be a worthy candidate for my next pistol.
That idea stayed in the back of my mind for a few months. That is untill , I searched one day... this site ,& that wholesaler, & sig expert over there.
All came up blank..."Backorder, + get on the list; & "we hasn't gotten any".

Went to THE ..LGS in my area, that has a indoor range... FOUND ONE. (second shelf on the far right) Rex ,the wonder boy says, " Yeah I thought we had one,"
"Hey Rex, I think these come in a longer Bbl length.".... Wonder boy ..."That's the only one we have...Rhugh... Rho."

So I bought a Nitron Carry 3.9" tube. & sig-lite sights. As fate would have it ... this is the exact pistol, with the exact fit , and fighting characteristics... I should have had all along. DA/SA trigger, pebbled , skateboard type, one piece grips. All that , and 2 ..10 rd. Mags ,cleaning rod, Hard case, sample of TW25
Lovin' it. It's a deluxe weapon. ( with a Big Time Price)

soulezoo
04-23-14, 11:47

Funny you post that; I bought my first P226 in '85. I still have it and it has the polymer coating on it and still looks close to new. On the whole, I call it the best pistol I've owned... and that's a few.