PDA

View Full Version : 16" Midlength; ANY Benefit to Govt. Profile vs Lightweight?

Paul Kersey
03-25-14, 20:14
I am researching for my first AR15, and have decided on 16" midlength as the right setup for my needs. After reading dozens of threads here and on other sites, it appears the lightweight barrel profile is quite popular for this barrel length/gas system. I am just wondering if there is ANY benefit at all to the government profile vs. the lightweight? There does not seem to be, unless you are running a bayonet or prying things open with your barrrel; neither of which I plan to do.

C-grunt
03-25-14, 20:28
I have heard that if you're running a non free float setup that the government profile has less point of impact change when using a suppressor. I'm not sure about that but it does make some sense with the thicker barrel.

If I was you I'd get the lightweight and a lighter can. Take it from me.... spend the extra money and buy a lighter can.

Caeser25
03-25-14, 20:30
I had a lw and a it got much hotter faster than the government profile.

Onyx Z
03-25-14, 20:42
The only benefit to the LW profile is just that... It weighs less from the GB forward. Under the handguard is identical.

Gov't profiles tends to be more accurate than a LW. Albeit marginally, the difference is probably not even enough to notice unless you are looking for sub-moa capabilities.

samuse
03-25-14, 20:48
Seeing as how the gov't and the light weight are the same from the chamber to the gasblock....

I'd get the LW unless you just like 4 useless ounces hanging off the muzzle end of the barrel.

Paul Kersey
03-25-14, 21:19
I have heard that if you're running a non free float setup that the government profile has less point of impact change when using a suppressor. I'm not sure about that but it does make some sense with the thicker barrel.

If I was you I'd get the lightweight and a lighter can. Take it from me.... spend the extra money and buy a lighter can.

I won't be running a can, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Symmetry
03-25-14, 21:29
Thicker barrels are more dense, and thus have better accuracy. They take longer to heat up, but also longer to cool down. Colt recently did a full auto test of the govt profile M4, and the M4-A1(uses a full length thick barrel). The govt profile barrel ruptured at the thin portion under the hand guard at 535rds. The M4-A1 went for 911rds before the gas tube ruptured, but the barrel stayed intact and kept going. Do you as a civilian need something like that?......probably not, but it is interesting. A few AR makers out there produce some medium contour barrels that fill a happy middle ground. I wish more would make barrels like that in hammer forged.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/02/02/m4-carbine-torture-test/

SteveS
03-25-14, 21:30
The mid length looks better ??? I hate the carbine length since I had a one in the 1970s! A light weight barrel is not a whole lot lighter and I can't say if it changes point of aim any different than the M4 barrel when it heats up but from what I read on an INTERNET post the latest m4 A? something upgrade is sporting a heavier barrel for improved stability . Get a light weight barrel. Now the bad news about your choice,,,,, it seems nobody owns just 1 AR. Cheers and buy quality.

MistWolf
03-25-14, 22:21
Thicker barrels are more dense, and thus have better accuracy. They take longer to heat up, but also longer to cool down. Colt recently did a full auto test of the govt profile M4, and the M4-A1(uses a full length thick barrel). The govt profile barrel ruptured at the thin portion under the hand guard at 535rds. The M4-A1 went for 911rds before the gas tube ruptured, but the barrel stayed intact and kept going. Do you as a civilian need something like that?......probably not, but it is interesting. A few AR makers out there produce some medium contour barrels that fill a happy middle ground. I wish more would make barrels like that in hammer forged.

A thicker barrel is just thicker not denser. It takes longer to heat up a thicker barrel because it takes more heat to heat it up and because it's holding more heat it takes longer to dissipate it. A thinner barrel may cool back to room temperature quicker but it also takes less heat to cause it to fail

levik97
03-25-14, 22:28

I believe that it's not density that affects it so much as surface area and thickness as MistWolf said.

Levi

Iraqgunz
03-26-14, 01:33
I'll bet if you use the search feature you will find dozens of threads asking the same question.