PDA

View Full Version : Camping questions

St.Michael
03-25-14, 23:33
Putting this here because I think it's the right place. I am getting ready to try out my hand at my first real camping gig. My first question is if I'm planning on being out for a couple days do I just take my edc or do I want something like a .22 rifle or what. I am up in Cleveland. Don't want to hunt so the weapons are only for protection against whatever. If I do state parks I am pretty sure I'm not allowed to carry there so I'm trying to figure out how that works. I know these questions may seem stupid, but I'm not much of a camper at all and most idiots around me seem to think camping now is just heading out and getting loaded. I want to push outside my comfort zone this summer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Dead Man
03-25-14, 23:39
If you definitely want a gun, you should take whatever is going to be either easiest to carry or lightest. I would probably favor easiest to carry, but I'd also try to make that the lightest as well.

Unless I am out specifically to hunt, I don't take firearms. I spend a lot of time in Washington and Oregon wildernesses, and a gun is both the least useful and most heavy item I don't want to have in my kit.

St.Michael
03-25-14, 23:43
I really have no intention to hunt. I just don't go anywhere without my edc. Just not sure about this situation. I am trying to read all the info on the forum I can find about it though.

Dead Man
03-25-14, 23:59
You'll start leaving the gun at home after your first experience of needing something you don't have. Suddenly, having something you don't need takes on a crisp irony; "sure wish this heavy, useless gun was a sandwich/waterproof jacket/stove fuel/camp pad/etc. Would be a lot more useful to me right now."

For the weight of a Glock or .22 rifle, you could bring an extra day's worth of food, a book, a warmer sleeping bag, etc., etc.

Just my take on it.

gun71530
03-26-14, 00:24
You'll start leaving the gun at home after your first experience of needing something you don't have. Suddenly, having something you don't need takes on a crisp irony; "sure wish this heavy, useless gun was a sandwich/waterproof jacket/stove fuel/camp pad/etc. Would be a lot more useful to me right now."

For the weight of a Glock or .22 rifle, you could bring an extra day's worth of food, a book, a warmer sleeping bag, etc., etc.

Just my take on it.

A gun is useless, until you need one . It takes zero effort to carry your EDC in a holster on your hip.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Dead Man
03-26-14, 00:36
A gun is useless, until you need one . It takes zero effort to carry your EDC in a holster on your hip.

Will it be compatible with the kidney pads or waist strap of your pack? Suddenly, effort blooms.

rackham1
03-26-14, 00:41

Agreed. My EDC goes with me on every camping, hiking, and hunting trip.

I see Dead Man's point, but would venture a guess that the OP's first camping trip isn't going to be an "every ounce matters" sort of trekking adventure. Could be wrong, but I'd say his EDC is a good option.

gun71530
03-26-14, 00:45
Will it be compatible with the kidney pads or waist strap of your pack? Suddenly, effort blooms.

Easy, that's where a Hill People's Gear Runners kit comes into play.

St.Michael
03-26-14, 00:46
Agreed. My EDC goes with me on every camping, hiking, and hunting trip.

I see Dead Man's point, but would venture a guess that the OP's first camping trip isn't going to be an "every ounce matters" sort of trekking adventure. Could be wrong, but I'd say his EDC is a good option.

Very true. I am 100% a beginner. This trip is my first and I hope to test out my first gear set up.

rackham1
03-26-14, 00:54
Very true. I am 100% a beginner. This trip is my first and I hope to test out my first gear set up.

Awesome. You'll have a blast. I'd recommend your regular carry gun and not worry about it.

On State Parks... IIRC, they typically follow the rules of the state. So legal carry in your state equals legal carry in the state parks. Does in the states I've camped out west, anyway. Definitely need to verify for Ohio.

What they don't usually allow is shooting (target shooting, drunken mayhem, etc.).

OldState
03-26-14, 09:35
I would take a small 9mm pistol if allowed.

I would also forget "camping" and go backpacking I realize that Ohio is not ideal for that but it is far more enjoyable. Maybe plan a trip to a mountainous state.

There is something to packing everything you need for 3-4 days on your back and catching views and scenery from a vantage point that you only can get to on foot.

Pitching your tent in some random place you see fit and noticing how loud everything is when its so quiet.

Try to go light, you will enjoy it better.

Dead Man
03-26-14, 13:14
Indeed. Simply pulling over on the side of a logging road and pitching a Coleman tent on the first flat piece of ground you can find gets uninteresting very fast.

I would probably go for a one-night trip for a first trip, however. Assuming you're in otherwise good physical condition, I would look for a maximum of 5 miles if there's significant elevation gain, or maybe up to 7 or 8 miles if it's flat. It doesn't sound like much, and it's not, but for your first excursion you're going to be so occupied with dialing in your kit and trying to find turnoffs and trailheads and things that if you shoot for much more than that you run a pretty good risk of "benighting" short of your camp objective.

Google earth is a great resource for sort of pre-scouting your area of interest. Look for peaks or ridges or cliffs with good views, or whatever else you might find interesting in your area, and then acquire a good trail map for the area. Keep in mind that intersecting trails will look different on the return trip, and that sometimes the trail you'd think would be the well worn one isn't. In other words, know your route and all possible variations. Getting lost on the trails isn't as dire a situation as getting lost off the trail, but it can still keep you out a day or two or three longer than you intended.

Some unsolicited advice for you!

3 AE
03-26-14, 18:11
If you haven't tested your camping/backpacking equipment before, spending a weekend or two at a state, national forest, or county campsite is a good way to find out what works well, works ok, or just totally sucks! Keep notes on how each piece of your gear performed. Make adjustments as needed. Then branch out from there. Some people like to backpack, some like car camping, and some consider staying at a motel and dining at Denny's as really roughing it! Like shooting, practice, practice, practice, will get you to your destination. Most of all, have a good time doing it.

TAZ
03-26-14, 18:30
Great advice so far. Definitely research the crap out of the laws regarding carry in the parks you intend to visit. Don't want to end up as a statistic cause you didn't read the correct chapter of some handbook.

As for the gear. I'd start out car camping close to home to make sure your tent, bag and pad work for you. If they suck ass you can always sleep in the car or bail out for a hotel or home. Nothing makes for a BAD camping intro than sleeping on crappy equipment for an extended time. We aren't at SHTF day so you have the luxury of tinkering. Use it. As you get the basic shelter covered you can branch out to going further from the car and using packs, stoves and all the other fun stuff.

Be honest about your ability, and limits. Don't go batshit crazy on the first try cause until you have the needed skills to CYA the smallest issue can balloon out of control. Also if you're going primitive or back country stuff have a buddy.

ra2bach
03-27-14, 13:42
my "outdoors" gun is 4" stainless .357 magnum revolver. to me, it's the perfect universal tool. in my locale, I carry it with the first two rounds of snake shot and 4 rounds of 148gr wadcutters. my country is snake country a lot of the time so the snake shot makes me feel better. my handloaded wadcutters are very accurate in this gun for whatever I feel needs shooting - I just pull the hammer back and rotate the cylinder two clicks. I've taken squirrels out of trees to add to my pot and a raccoon that I thought was probably rabid from the way it was acting. and I've been known to just stop and shoot at a stump or something...

I don't normally use magnums while hiking but I've taken three deer hunting with this gun and at night I reload the cylinder with 158gr hollowpoints for predators (4 and 2 legged)...

St.Michael
03-27-14, 14:24
Good info guys. Yea I cant wait to get out this summer. Also any recommendations for something I might need as a new guy that is easily over looked by first timers?

Grizzly16
03-27-14, 14:31
Easy, that's where a Hill People's Gear Runners kit comes into play.

This ++

HPG bag of some flavor is a required part of my camping/hiking gear. It'll fit anywhere from a small snubby through full size pistol+light with ease for me. That plus a few essentials like matches, little med kit, mylar blanket, flashlight, knife and some duct tape in it make for a great survival pack. It is easy to keep on all the time and can comfortably hold enough to keep you comfortable in any conditions.

OldState
03-27-14, 16:11
Good info guys. Yea I cant wait to get out this summer. Also any recommendations for something I might need as a new guy that is easily over looked by first timers?

Toilet paper.

Also, try to bring smaller versions of everything and utilize multitaskers

St.Michael
03-27-14, 21:01
Multitaskers? Yeah tp is a must. Lol

OldState
03-27-14, 21:27
Multitaskers? Yeah tp is a must. Lol

More important for when you are packing all your stuff on your back but...Things that have multiple uses.

ex. I used to always carried extra boot laces then realized that the para cord I carried would work.

Limit cooking implements..use "Sporks".... Why carry a dinner knife when you have a pocket knife? etc

Also, If you have others going, limit duplicate gear.

Anything to save weight. It's been 5 yrs since I have been backpacking (had 2 kids) but I had re outfitted myself the year before with updated equipment. Splitting the tent with my buddy, my pack, for 4 days, with a full 3 liter camelback, was 28lbs. That's all my gear. clothes and food.

Much more enjoyable to travel light.

soulezoo
04-15-14, 16:13
More important for when you are packing all your stuff on your back but...Things that have multiple uses.

ex. I used to always carried extra boot laces then realized that the para cord I carried would work.

Limit cooking implements..use "Sporks".... Why carry a dinner knife when you have a pocket knife? etc

Also, If you have others going, limit duplicate gear.

Anything to save weight. It's been 5 yrs since I have been backpacking (had 2 kids) but I had re outfitted myself the year before with updated equipment. Splitting the tent with my buddy, my pack, for 4 days, with a full 3 liter camelback, was 28lbs. That's all my gear. clothes and food.

Much more enjoyable to travel light.

This^^^ x10.

Agree with the previously mentioned about distances. In the Rubicon, 1 mile with a heavy pack seems like forever. 4 miles can take all day!

ounces is weight and pounds is pain.

If you are backpacking, get on some of the sites/forums dedicated to it. There's a lot of info that even seasoned guys forget about.

Make a list! Stick to it adding and subtracting as you find what works for you and what doesn't.

Quality footware is a must. Don't skimp here.

Water... and more water. You'll use a lot more out there than anywhere. Realize that and have multiple solutions. You will not be able to carry all you'll need unless it is just overnight.

madisonsfinest
04-15-14, 18:15
I'm giving the Hill People Gear runners kit bag a shot on my next trip out. G19 inside.

Mbrokaw89
06-08-14, 15:47
I'd rather have a gun and not need one, then need one and not have one. Just my thought.