PDA

View Full Version : Completely new to motorcycles......

Animal_Mother556
03-26-14, 00:49
I have decided to try motorcycling. I have never been on one. I am looking to become a member of a good forum but have no clue which one will be a source for good info. Can anyone assist?

Also, I will be looking at an Enduro style or dual sport bike mainly. Something to take on short road trips (50 miles), cruise around town on nice days, and take off-road once in a while.

platoonDaddy
03-26-14, 06:26
I would start here: http://www.sportbikes.net/

All the best.

Hmac
03-26-14, 06:39
Just like with rifles, the first question is what are you going to use it for? Are you talking cruisers, road bikes, or sport bikes? Each genre, and even each brand, has its own typical set of forums. As to dual-sport...I have two of those and have found Thumpertalk to be the forum most useful and interesting to me.

Anyway, I would absolutely start with a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course.

http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx#&panel1-1 . You can find the course and dates nearest to you.

GH41
03-26-14, 06:54
I have decided to try motorcycling. I have never been on one. I am looking to become a member of a good forum but have no clue which one will be a source for good info. Can anyone assist?

Also, I will be looking at an Enduro style or dual sport bike mainly. Something to take on short road trips (50 miles), cruise around town on nice days, and take off-road once in a while.

You don't say how big/ tall you are. Look at a KLR if your tall enough. Buy it used so you are not the first to drop it! Ride like you are invisible. There are plenty of ways to get killed and a MC is near the top of the list. BTW, I rode for 43 years. GH

orionz06
03-26-14, 06:57
Take the safety course, quite incredible for what it is.

From there I think there are a lot of questions to be answered with goals and uses.

Animal_Mother556
03-26-14, 08:22
Yes the safety part I am on top of. I use caution in every aspect of my life, generally.

I am 6 foot 3 and about 300 lbs for those that asked.

skydivr
03-26-14, 08:48
Absolutely take the MSF.

And you need to get this one idea in your head when you climb on that bike - EVERYBODY out there IS trying to kill you - ride with caution and the best way to avoid an accident is to see it coming in advance and change something...

Some REALLY GOOD reading is Twist of the Wrist 1 & 2 ( I liked #2 better) by Keith Code...

Kyohte
03-26-14, 09:49
I cannot stress the MSF course enough. Some manufacturers will give you a discount on a bike if you take the course or pay for the course if you buy a bike.

Remember, on a bike you are invisible and all other drivers are drunk.

Animal_Mother556
03-26-14, 09:53
Believe me, I am aware of the dangers here, folks. I ride bicycles...I think, arguably, that can be MORE dangerous than a motor bike.

jmoore
03-26-14, 09:55
Yes to MSF, and yes to KLR - the best bang for your buck in the world of MCs!!!!! - john

Kyohte
03-26-14, 10:37
Believe me, I am aware of the dangers here, folks. I ride bicycles...I think, arguably, that can be MORE dangerous than a motor bike.

The MSF course isn't about the dangers, it's learning to not ride like a retard. Bicyclists tend to be more dangerous as a group in general because of the way they ride (i.e. not following traffic signals and stupid stuff like riding on side-walks/through cross walks). Around here it just got warm enough to bring the cyclists out in swarming numbers and you have to check 2-3 times at every stop sign because they don't stop for anything.

The *act* of riding a motorcycle is pretty similar to a bicycle, at least it felt like it to me. Going from a motorcycle back to a bicycle was weird due to the weight difference. Of course, I'll never forget one of the students in my MSF course. After his first day on a bike, the instructor asked what everyone's thoughts were. His response was "I'm not as bad ass as I thought I was".

Eurodriver
03-26-14, 10:45
If you're under 30 and ride anything without a windscreen expect to be treated like a felon every time you roll by the fuzz.

Aaron_B
03-26-14, 10:55
Thumpertalk is a great site for information. I had a DRZ for a long time and rode a friend's KLR quite often as well. I would recommend something in the at least the 400cc range. I am 6' 3" around 240lbs and it was decent getting around on the 400. 650s always seemed a little to tall for my comfort.

As everyone else mentioned MSF course should be top priority and understanding that people are retarded when it comes to guys on motorcycles.

Campbell
03-26-14, 12:15
http://www.advrider.com/

Hmac
03-26-14, 15:18
Thumpertalk is a great site for information. I had a DRZ for a long time and rode a friend's KLR quite often as well. I would recommend something in the at least the 400cc range. I am 6' 3" around 240lbs and it was decent getting around on the 400. 650s always seemed a little to tall for my comfort.

I had a DRZ. Great bike but the 650 was where it was at for me. Only problem was that the 80/20 concept was backward for me. I needed it 80% off-road and 20% on-road. That was a fun project. Gear that thumper down and it was a beast. I didn't need it to go 100 mph.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/18815330.jpg

alvincullumyork
03-26-14, 16:26
As was already mentioned advrider.com is where it's at for dual sport/enduro riding. Thumper talk is also a very good place for information.

KLR s are good bikes but they are way to much of a compromise in my opinion. A XR650L or a DR650 would be a better choice in that category. Taking any of the Jap 650s off road (single track) can be quite challenging, fire roads are a breezes though. Another one to look at would be a WR250, a true dirt bike with lights on it. If you have money KTM makes some very nice dual sport bikes but they can be a bit more maintenance intensive than the other ones I listed. My brother took His XR650L down to the tip of South America and back and put about 20k miles on it. I have it now and have put another 10k on it. It's an older design but it is still popular and has enough power to lift the front wheel in second.