PDA

View Full Version : (Nearly) Reproducing Glock Gen 2 Grip on a Gen 3?

Dionysusigma
03-26-14, 18:33
I'm a fan of Glocks, and my main go-to pistol is my Gen 3 G17. However, having recently handled a Gen 2 and liking the absence of finger grooves, is there any way via grip reshaping and texturing to modify my Gen 3 to match this? An outright frame swap wouldn't work, because I use the rail for a WML. Also, is there any way to copy the mild texturing found on the majority of the frame (e.g., what's around the trigger guard, or thumb recess) in such a way that it wouldn't be apparent? (I've no problems using DevCon.)

And, once it's all said and done, is there a process for re-checkering the grips to "Glock-spec"?

Psalms144.1
03-26-14, 18:39
Get a set of files and some GOOD painters tape. Cover the checkering between the "grooves" and go to work with the file. Work slowly and carefully and work following the "curve" of the existing grip. Once you have the raised areas flattened to your liking, a wood burner with a fine tip is an easy way to stipple the newly flattened areas. It won't perfectly match the factory checkering, but it's close enough for guvmint work...