PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for basic training

Stubby
03-26-14, 22:19
Hey all, signed with the army going to meps to pick my MOS on Monday, depending on what I pick determines where I go for BCT, what all should I do to prepare? I leave in June after I graduate, I already run 2 miles a day and work chest and abs every day, arms and squats alternating days, what other things do you recommend? Any advise for me?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
03-26-14, 22:34
First of all, thank you for your desire to serve your country.

Things I would do:

1. Grow a thick skin. Nothing they do is personal, don't make it personal.

2. You will lose every pissing contest you start. You will lose the ones you don't start, too.

3. Do pushups. Then do more pushups.

4. Be able to run at least 4 miles, not just 2. I'd recommend being able to do 5 miles, but do not injure yourself preparing.

5. Have complete strangers scream at you for a while.

6. Get everything in writing.

Good luck, and thanks again.

Wake27
03-26-14, 22:39
Active duty? There are a few threads on here from the last year or two with similar topics so be sure to take a look at them. Any MOS you are thinking of in particular? I spent a few short years in the infantry before commissioning into logistics. You have to define what you want from the military - whether you plan to make it a career or you just want to serve, get paid to learn a skill, etc. Those should determine what you choose for your MOS. But at the end of the day there is the infantry, and then there is everything that supports the infantry. It still hurts my heart to talk about "supporting the warfighter."

Endur
03-26-14, 22:44
First of all, thank you for your desire to serve your country.

Things I would do:

1. Grow a thick skin. Nothing they do is personal, don't make it personal.

2. You will lose every pissing contest you start. You will lose the ones you don't start, too.

3. Do pushups. Then do more pushups.

4. Be able to run at least 4 miles, not just 2. I'd recommend being able to do 5 miles, but do not injure yourself preparing.

5. Have complete strangers scream at you for a while.

6. Get everything in writing.

Good luck, and thanks again.

^ This.

Incorporate ruck marches into your workout routine as well. Nothing will prepare you for rucking, but rucking itself. Never be the last or first man to volunteer. Do not be a spotlight ranger (THAT GUY). Prepare yourself to go to sleep late and get up early. If you don't have OCD now, you better pick it up; don't fight the inevitable. Don't give anyone access to your money unless they absolutely need to. Don't be that guy after graduation who goes and spends all his saved up money, and definitely don't be that guy who falls for that 18% interest guaranteed financing for a brand new car outside of base. Stay away from women within a 10 miles radius of whatever duty station you happen to go to, 70% chance of them being another soldiers wife or significant other and a 30% chance of catching something you don't want to keep. After BCT, find out everything you can about tuition assistance, and USE it.

26 Inf
03-26-14, 22:45
Up the mileage. Start building up your reps on pushups and sit ups. I wouldn't do the ruck marches at this point, you are two months out, if you work it too hard with the ruck marching you can hurt yourself. Most guys just show up for basic, so if you have been working out you are a leg up.

This is just me, but if I was joining today I'd look into 18X (SF enlistment program) which would get you 11 series (infantry), jump school, special ops prep course, and a shot at the SF assessment course, then if you hammer that, you get a chance at the Q course, after the Q course I'd choose 18D - med sergeant, which is another 13 months. Then you either stay in or get out and become a PA or NA.

The bitch would be if you bolo'ed SOPC or SFAS.

But that's just me.

Good luck.

JackFanToM
03-26-14, 22:48
catch up on sleep, now as you won't get any there. get used to eating bland tasteless food in a hurry. run everywhere, then hydrate, then run again. have someone wake you up at random intervals and scream at you for minor details both real and imagined. learn to go to your own personal place while still paying attention. learn to listen, and when you think you have mastered listening, realize you are now ready to learn to listen. learn to make a positive impression while not being seen or noticed. run some more.

TehLlama
03-26-14, 22:59
Unless you want your skillset to be "I know how to shoot, camp, talk on a radio, and clean things", which equals "I know how to clean things" as far as civilian talents, consider taking the highest skill job that interests you. I say this in the full confidence knowing anybody who wants to be an 11B isn't going to take this advice, and anybody who will could use it.

SOW_0331
03-26-14, 23:26
Get laid. Nail your girlfriend, then her sister, then her friends. Just don't stop.

It's probably the only thing you'll regret not doing before you take on the life of involuntary abstinence.

Rackit
03-26-14, 23:43
MEPS sucks. Run, ruck or no ruck go take a 7+ mile hike, focus on having a perfect PFT before you ship.

kiwi57
03-26-14, 23:58
What I've read so far are all reasonable things to consider. As mentioned, there are other threads available here that may help to give you a few tips and perhaps muddy the water.

My info is ancient (BCT 1/77) but I do remember a couple quirky things FWIW:

1) a kid had a tooth that was bothering him early on and he kept ignoring it, fearing he would miss training and get recycled. He hoped it would get better and ended up with an abscess and a lot of grief. So maybe a visit to the dentist in the next month or so to make sure you don't have any looming problems. You will likely get a cursory oral exam/xrays in the first few days but it is probably best to take a preventive approach if you're at all prone to dental issues. Funny how we remember odd things about basic.

2) The footgear of the time really bugged my feet and it took weeks to get used to jogging/running in boots and humping out to the range and back. I often thought it would have been a good idea to buy a pair at a surplus store prior to heading to FLW to make sure of my size and to do PT in them (like you're doing). Moleskin was helpful, stick a few sheets in your Dopp kit. Take care of your feet.

Good luck and just do what you're told.

kiwi57

Hey all, signed with the army going to meps to pick my MOS on Monday, depending on what I pick determines where I go for BCT, what all should I do to prepare? I leave in June after I graduate, I already run 2 miles a day and work chest and abs every day, arms and squats alternating days, what other things do you recommend? Any advise for me?
Thanks in advance

Endur
03-27-14, 00:07
What I've read so far are all reasonable things to consider. As mentioned, there are other threads available here that may help to give you a few tips and perhaps muddy the water.

My info is ancient (BCT 1/77) but I do remember a couple quirky things FWIW:

1) a kid had a tooth that was bothering him early on and he kept ignoring it, fearing he would miss training and get recycled. He hoped it would get better and ended up with an abscess and a lot of grief. So maybe a visit to the dentist in the next month or so to make sure you don't have any looming problems. You will likely get a cursory oral exam/xrays in the first few days but it is probably best to take a preventive approach if you're at all prone to dental issues. Funny how we remember odd things about basic.

2) The footgear of the time really bugged my feet and it took weeks to get used to jogging/running in boots and humping out to the range and back. I often thought it would have been a good idea to buy a pair at a surplus store prior to heading to FLW to make sure of my size and to do PT in them (like you're doing). Moleskin was helpful, stick a few sheets in your Dopp kit. Take care of your feet.

Good luck and just do what you're told.

kiwi57

I had some teeth issues while I was in BCT. They will fix them while you are in as they will have days specifically for CAT issues. I had all types of cavities and had quite a bit of work done and I did not miss any training.

kiwi57
03-27-14, 00:24
Good to hear. My experience was looong ago and the clear implication at the time was that going on sick call was an attention-getter with the potential to set you back. "CAT" sounds like a big improvement.

I had some teeth issues while I was in BCT. They will fix them while you are in as they will have days specifically for CAT issues. I had all types of cavities and had quite a bit of work done and I did not miss any training.

Endur
03-27-14, 00:58
Good to hear. My experience was looong ago and the clear implication at the time was that going on sick call was an attention-getter with the potential to set you back. "CAT" sounds like a big improvement.

CAT stands for category; they put individuals dental issues in separate categories. If you had any CAT-3 issues, you had to get them fixed before you could graduate. Anything above CAT-3 the Army wouldn't let you do a whole lot as far as going places. You can't even clear out if you are ETS'ing if you have a CAT-3. They usually scheduled any medical or dental stuff on Sundays when it was bay maintenance day/church services etc.

Koshinn
03-27-14, 01:12

I constantly had blisters and wore moleskin like a second set of socks. It's gotten better since we've moved away from leather boots though.

Converse boots are extremely comfortable... just sayin'.

Khackee
03-27-14, 05:09
I spent 22 years in the Navy, so the tidbits I give you are going to be generalized military lessons learned.

Put aside 10-20% of your pay into a retirement account, and swear you will never pull it out. The years creep up very fast.

Pick your MOS wisely. My nephew went into IT, I think he was a 25b, spent 6 years in. He got out and is now pulling down $145K as an IT guru at Dollar Tree.

The military is a snapshot of American society. Good people and not so good people. Choose friends and the people you associate with wisely.
Tattoos are permanent. What seems like a great idea at age 22, may not please a new girl or prospective employer at age 30.
Avoid the easy credit/debt trap. Many businesses near bases make their livelihood off the military selling cheap junk marked up 100-200%. Regardless of what you are told, Friendly Joes Auto's is not in the business of making friends.

Learn the difference between "I want" and "I need".

IF A PROMISE IS NOT IN BLACK AND WHITE, IT DOES NOT EXIST. (And even then, congress can reneg on a promise.)
Enjoy your time in the service. Thank you for wanting to serve.

Wake27
03-27-14, 06:35
I spent 22 years in the Navy, so the tidbits I give you are going to be generalized military lessons learned.

Put aside 10-20% of your pay into a retirement account, and swear you will never pull it out. The years creep up very fast.

Pick your MOS wisely. My nephew went into IT, I think he was a 25b, spent 6 years in. He got out and is now pulling down $145K as an IT guru at Dollar Tree.

The military is a snapshot of American society. Good people and not so good people. Choose friends and the people you associate with wisely.
Tattoos are permanent. What seems like a great idea at age 22, may not please a new girl or prospective employer at age 30.
Avoid the easy credit/debt trap. Many businesses near bases make their livelihood off the military selling cheap junk marked up 100-200%. Regardless of what you are told, Friendly Joes Auto's is not in the business of making friends.

Learn the difference between "I want" and "I need".

IF A PROMISE IS NOT IN BLACK AND WHITE, IT DOES NOT EXIST. (And even then, congress can reneg on a promise.)
Enjoy your time in the service. Thank you for wanting to serve.

All very true - great points.

GTF425
03-27-14, 06:39
Don't be a pussy.

Have fun.

*ETA: Why do you want to join the Army? What do you imagine yourself doing in the Army in 12 months? In 3 years? What are your life goals related to military service?

uffdaphil
03-27-14, 07:40
Much of my experience (1968) no longer applies. I hear they are not allowed to hit, kick or even swear at you these days. But some things are eternal.

All the advice about your feet is right on. Buy a pair of the exact current issue boots and run, walk, climb and exercise in them. Change socks often.

Your physical condition is already better than probably 90% of your fellow trainees. But you will still be aching and worn out for at least the first few weeks. Do NOT flaunt your superior conditioning. The cadre will just work harder to wear you out.

Long marches and runs have a caterpillar/accordion effect. People move at different rates and the line stretches wayyy out. Those near the back have to work extra hard to catch up. Stay as far forward as you can.

You will be hungry all the time. If the guy next to you hates liver, make damn sure a drill sergeant doesn't catch you eating his. You may have to eat liver until you puke.

Show some moral courage by not participating in blanket or GI parties. They often get out of hand and you will not feel good about yourself.

If the latrine is placed off limits and you sneak outside to do your business at 3am, make sure you are on another barracks property. Makes for entertaining morning police call.

When you realize that nobody can can get that furious so quickly and often, you can enjoy the show. A lot of doofusses (doofi?) never do get it.

Oh, and if you raise your hand when they ask, "Who knows how to type?", expect to be handed a shovel while the others are dismissed.

marZ1
03-27-14, 07:48

I think this is the most important aspect. As the clicks form remain neutral, pick your buddies wisely and stay out of the petty squables that arise over things like; where the fans are placed at night, or who took to long in the shower. Do more than your fair share and don't look for any credit. Those who don't pull their weight will pay in the long run. Use fireguard duty as late night quiet study time whether you can read or just go over training in your head.

Wake27
03-27-14, 08:03
Much of my experience (1968) no longer applies. I hear they are not allowed to hit, kick or even swear at you these days. But some things are eternal.

All the advice about your feet is right on. Buy a pair of the exact current issue boots and run, walk, climb and exercise in them. Change socks often.

Your physical condition is already better than probably 90% of your fellow trainees. But you will still be aching and worn out for at least the first few weeks. Do NOT flaunt your superior conditioning. The cadre will just work harder to wear you out.

Long marches and runs have a caterpillar/accordion effect. People move at different rates and the line stretches wayyy out. Those near the back have to work extra hard to catch up. Stay as far forward as you can.

You will be hungry all the time. If the guy next to you hates liver, make damn sure a drill sergeant doesn't catch you eating his. You may have to eat liver until you puke.

Show some moral courage by not participating in blanket or GI parties. They often get out of hand and you will not feel good about yourself.

If the latrine is placed off limits and you sneak outside to do your business at 3am, make sure you are on another barracks property. Makes for entertaining morning police call.

When you realize that nobody can can get that furious so quickly and often, you can enjoy the show. A lot of doofusses (doofi?) never do get it.

Oh, and if you raise your hand when they ask, "Who knows how to type?", expect to be handed a shovel while the others are dismissed.

The swearing thing is definitely BS, at least for Benning. I've heard rumors about cards that can be held up if it gets to be too much for recruits and the DS has to lay off , but have never seen them so I don't know that there is any merit to that. Physical contact is definitely a big no no.

The slinky effect is brutal. I was in 4th PLT so we started every march (except the final one) in the rear and were not allowed to pass anyone. The 6 mile was by far the worst because we had to run almost the entire time.

GTF425
03-27-14, 08:54
forget it...

marZ1
03-27-14, 09:01
forget it...

Typed ten responses to your unedited post, thought better of it.....yep....forget it.

Edit. On second thought, what fun is it if you can't get smoked? Thats all.

Stubby
03-27-14, 09:03
So basically don't try to stand out but don't be a slacker? Just try to be normal?

Stubby
03-27-14, 09:04
And yes going Active Duty, MOS I'm looking at is A1 crew, aviation mechanic, MP, and artillery

Scrubber3
03-27-14, 09:15
Do not do 13B. Take 11B(infantry) over arty. Trust me. I was a 13F (Forward Observer) initially and unless you get put on a COLT, it sucked. (Thank god that's where I ended up.)

If you can do something that'll transfer over to the civi world, do it. I had nothing to go to when I got out and my body was used up pretty good. So, if you want to play Army, be an infantryman. If not, for the love of your future, do something that'll be useful when you get out.

skydivr
03-27-14, 09:32
All is great advice. The military is a great place to 'do better than the lot you drew in life' as you can make of it what you want.

- IMHO pick an MOS that has a good -paying civilian job counterpart. The Army is going to spend big $$ on your training which would cost YOU outside the fence - and employers like to see that stuff on a resume. Tanker's and Artillerymen don't have much of a civilian counterpart (yet I was a Tanker so that shows how smart I am). Pick as specialized an MOS as your ASVAB allows. That way, if you get hurt or want out, you've not wasted your time.

- Tier 1 units (SPECOPS, etc.) get all the good stuff (gear/schools) but they also have the most 'fun'. If you are single, great, but if you have a family, you are responsible to them, too.

- If you use tobacco, STOP NOW. Kicking the habit while under the additonal stress is a bitch.

- DO NOT play the reindeer games some of the other privates are going to want to play. Tobacco, sneaking out (yes, they still try and inevitably get caught) and other bullshit is easy to get drawn into - don't fall into that trap because those other dumbasses are looking for a fall guy (you).

- You don't have to be first, but you sure as hell don't want to be last. If you are in good shape, great, just remember the DS are going to push you past whatever limit you have when you show up.

- Nametag defilade: Don't be 'THAT' guy. If you do better than everyone else, the other soldiers will get jealous and you will get undermined/set up/blamed/etc. The time to SHINE is after basic. Nobody remembers or cares how you do in Basic as long as you graduate. But do good enough so that if there are any specialized slots (Airborne, Air Assault) you get offered them (and take them). Those wings give you street cred.

- Get used to getting micromanaged, and just remember IT'S A GAME; PLAY IT. Submit to the authority, embrace the suck and you will be fine. If you have any amount of self-discipline, then it will be easy for you. Remember, the kid next to you never did shit with his life, played video games and smoked pot thru highschool, has no idea what a checkbook is or how to manage it, and his momma coddled him. Those are the real challenges for the DS. Guys that have their heads on straight usually avoid most of their attention so they can focus on the problem children. The DS isn't there to fail you, he's there to TRAIN YOU to GRADUATE. Failure rates are not something that BCT Commanders are proud of (as they are there to make you a soldier), but they ALL don't want someone in THEIR Army that is going to be a dirtbag/waste of government dollars and maybe get another, good soldier killed.

Best of luck. If I could do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 26 years was a good run.

Stubby
03-27-14, 09:37
You guys are all a great wealth of knowledge, thank you

Wolfhound86
03-27-14, 09:58
I wouldn't worry too much about being in fantastic shape. One of the reasons for basic is to get you in shape. If you are lifting push-ups will be easy. I would run a lot if I had to choose one thing to prepare for. Trust me you will be in good enough shape at the end of your training to pass your APFT. Prepare yourself mentally like others have said, it gets quite annoying when you and your group are succeeding and they are in your face telling you that you are failing.

Rackit
03-27-14, 10:01
What's the Army PFT?

GotAmmo
03-27-14, 10:32
All is great advice. The military is a great place to 'do better than the lot you drew in life' as you can make of it what you want.

- IMHO pick an MOS that has a good -paying civilian job counterpart. The Army is going to spend big $$ on your training which would cost YOU outside the fence - and employers like to see that stuff on a resume. Tanker's and Artillerymen don't have much of a civilian counterpart (yet I was a Tanker so that shows how smart I am). Pick as specialized an MOS as your ASVAB allows. That way, if you get hurt or want out, you've not wasted your time.

I just spent 2 yrs in TRADOC and this is what I preached to all my Soldiers. Granted I was at the EOD School, but still not everyone becomes a Tech for the .gov or local leo after they ETS.

Be sure you like it/learn to love it because you will more than likely do it your whole career.

I came in as a 55B (Ammunition Specialist), I didn't realize I'd be counting bullets for the past 16 yrs. Do I hate it.. nope.. do I love it.. nope... have I gotten do meet some cool and clandestine folks and support some cool operations, yep. And that is ultimately why I keep on, I get to support the warfighter and provide him the means to kill the enemy. And see some pretty cool ammo/explosives that most others don't

GunBugBit
03-27-14, 10:41
Some of the advice here is great.

Go in on the light and wiry side, not thick and heavy. It's hard to be thick and heavy in basic training; though some rare individuals carry their extra pounds well -- these tend to be the farm/ranch and high school athletics boys and not the modern day video-game-playing couch potato boys. Don't go in as a video-game-playing couch potato boy. Sounds like you're taking a good approach to your physical conditioning so I say these things for the benefit of others who are also about to go in.

Pushups are good but we are all different. In my case, I was always good at pushups but had to work hard to be able to max the situp portion of the PT test. A strong core is very very useful, so don't neglect that.

Find or improvise obstacle courses. If nothing else, go to a playground with a lot of equipment and climb, do pullups, do lots of running and jumping.

Listen to what you're told. Always be seen as paying attention. Respond quickly to what you're told. Drill sergeants aren't there to chit-chat with you, but to train you and make sure you're moving along. Once in a great while a drill sergeant will let his hardass facade down and just be a guy with you, if only briefly (didn't happen to me until about 4 weeks had gone by). Maintain your military bearing during such times and still call him what he instructed you to call him and use all military courtesy you were taught to use. They will appreciate a recruit who acts like a professional from the beginning, or as much so as is within his capabilities as a raw recruit. Try not to act nervous but confident, though humble.

Let every real and perceived insult slide off of you quickly. Don't get into fights.

Go in with a humble attitude. You won't be a star. You will be made into a soldier, just another soldier, but being a good soldier is something. Be a good soldier.

GTF425
03-27-14, 10:45
What's the Army PFT?

A joke.

2 minutes of pushups, 2 minutes of situps, and a 2-mile run.

GTF425
03-27-14, 10:55
There's a lot of solid advice here for you. Seriously, good luck to you, and soak up as much of the knowledge from your Drill Sergeants as you can. BCT is the most important training any Soldier receives because it truly defines you as a Soldier. The habits and discipline you build there will be your foundation.

Just remember before picking an MOS to think about where you envision yourself in a few years and why you want to join the Army in the first place. I didn't pick Infantry for any other reason than because it was what I wanted to do. Six years later, I have no regrets and have an immense amount of pride in my service and the experiences I've had so far. I joke about pogues at work all the time, but the reality is that you have a job to fulfill for a reason and that's important. Take pride in your job and remember that military service is an honor.

Be the gray man in basic, take the field training seriously, and try your absolute best at everything you do. If you fail a task, then you now know one way to not do it. If you succeed, never be satisfied and try to find a way to do it better next time. Continued forward progress should be your goal every day as a Soldier.

Once again, best of luck to you. Keep us posted on your progress. If you wind up at Fort Bragg in the future, send me a PM.

Rackit
03-27-14, 11:01
A joke.

Should have joined the Army ;).......jk

GunBugBit
03-27-14, 11:05
A joke.

Well, it's a BASIC physical requirement. Once a feller has become a grizzled and advanced soldier, it should all be very easy. A young male is capable of far more than the Army's minimal physical conditioning requirements.

GunBugBit
03-27-14, 11:06
...Be the gray man in basic...
Perfect.

GTF425
03-27-14, 11:09
Should have joined the Army ;).......jk

Haha.

Stubby
03-27-14, 22:05
Got a lock on an aviation mechanic

Stubby
03-27-14, 22:44
15T

blade_68
03-28-14, 01:54
Every thing said is it. The only other thing if your going 2 MOS that will suck MP and Cook. Crappy job and hours, work weekends and holidays.

As said if your not Infantry your support. If you want to be Hardcore go for the 18X contract.
As said only in writing means anything. Get any and all schools in writing.
Try to be the trainee that is there but not noticed.
Most of all. You can do anything you set your mind to. Never quit but don't break yourself and try to drive on.

kiwi57
03-28-14, 15:38
Congratulations on your decision. I held off recommending an MOS as I had no idea about your interests/background, but I think you will be quite pleased being a Blackhawk crew chief. I flew DUSTOFF as a Huey flight medic (91B2F), serving in West Germany from 77-80. Flight crews can get really tight, I still keep in touch with a crew chief that I flew with. During my limited (and now dated) experience, army aviation companies had a good measure of esprit de corps and high standards. We rejected 2 out of every 3 medics that were assigned to our unit and I think there was a similar winnowing process for crew chiefs (only the best got to fly, as I recall). Can't have marginal people working on aircraft.

The pilots (WO and commissioned) gave the enlisted members of the flight crews a great deal of respect once we earned it. You might consider looking into a DUSTOFF assignment when you finish AIT. You will have a fulfilling mission in times of war and peace. Flying in helicopters is a kick in the pants (look up NOE), and you get hazardous duty pay with 'separate rations' if you are on flight status (unless things have changed). The benefits far outweigh the risks, in my opinion.

kiwi57

aptitude
15T

MistWolf
03-31-14, 07:11
Aviation is a good field, but you're going into Army Aviation, which is a little different than normal Aviation. In my experience, the Army tends to treat aircraft as flying trucks. Never forget, helicopters are aircraft. The difference is, when something in an aircraft quits working, it doesn't just roll to a stop at the side pf the road, it falls out of the sky and hits hard. Forget to torque the lugnuts on a truck, a tire falls off, bends the frame and crumples a fender and comes to a stop. Forget to torque the bolts on the tail rotor shaft of a helicopter and it will break loose, cut the tail boom off, destroys the main rotor transmission and main rotor blades, shakes and spins everything violently and turns into a fiery mess along with everyone on board. I'm not saying the Army can't maintain aircraft- they can. It's just that in my experience, the Army's attitude towards aviation is different. This isn't to take anything away from the job our soldiers do. Once we civilians did all the major maintenance on the helicopters, it was the soldiers who went with them overseas into harm's way, not me.

If you're going to make aviation a career, go to college and be more than a repairer. Get a degree in Aerospace Engineering or Aviation Maintenance Management or something. Embry Riddle is a good college to look into. While doing your job, learn the tech manuals inside and out. Learn the troubleshooting tree, know where to find the tasks you'll be performing and know where to start reading and where to stop. Get yourself a brain book. Before signing off on your tasks, write the entries in your brain book including the maintenance manual references that covered what you did.

While in basic training, learn the unwritten rules. In basic, we had to keep our footlockers in inspection condition at all times. Underclothes, socks etc. had to be folded and ironed into perfect little squares. Toothbrushes, razors and toiletries had to be squeaky clean and properly displayed. I learned too late that you didn't use your display items. You bought an extra toothbrush and razor and kept them on your "personal items" side and ditched them before any inspections. You got extra uniforms and underclothes and didn't wear the uniforms and under clothes kept on display. You learned to put extra clothing items in the laundry before inspections. Kind of a pain but it's all part of the game.

Best thing I did in basic was learn to be a duck. When ever they started hollering and getting all up in my face, I just let it roll off my back, like water off a duck. Stay calm and always take a moment before answering or acting. Don't let them them get you flustered. Stay centered, pay attention, do your best and you'll be fine. Best of luck and thanks for being willing to serve

Stubby
03-31-14, 17:35
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/01/mesazysu.jpg

REdruM0351
03-31-14, 19:01
I scanned through and didn't see anyone put this if someone has my mistake.

KEEP ALL MEDICAL RECORDS!! Copy everything and document whenever you have an issue . Your health is important and small things can lead to more severe problems later on and if you want to make sure when you are finally out that any medical problems you have are covered when you return to civilian life this would be wise to do.To keep a long story short I got blown up in Iraq no I didn't receive shrapnel I was untouched just badly rattled and had some aches . I was kinda checked over but as being in combat and in a bad situation I pushed on and was fine. I experienced back pain more and more as time went on and re enlisted because I was a hard charger. 2 years into my second enlistment my spine falls apart . I can only assume that had I got out I would have no medical care or a large amount of bills because there was no documentation of the blast. I did however note during my second enlistment my back pain. I can longer walk and when I am finally retired all my expenses will be paid for but they might not have been had I got out. Because I didn't keep my records and if you think your corpsman or whoever will good luck with that. God bless and good luck you never experience what I have.

skydivr
04-01-14, 09:29
I scanned through and didn't see anyone put this if someone has my mistake.

KEEP ALL MEDICAL RECORDS!! Copy everything and document whenever you have an issue . Your health is important and small things can lead to more severe problems later on and if you want to make sure when you are finally out that any medical problems you have are covered when you return to civilian life this would be wise to do.To keep a long story short I got blown up in Iraq no I didn't receive shrapnel I was untouched just badly rattled and had some aches . I was kinda checked over but as being in combat and in a bad situation I pushed on and was fine. I experienced back pain more and more as time went on and re enlisted because I was a hard charger. 2 years into my second enlistment my spine falls apart . I can only assume that had I got out I would have no medical care or a large amount of bills because there was no documentation of the blast. I did however note during my second enlistment my back pain. I can longer walk and when I am finally retired all my expenses will be paid for but they might not have been had I got out. Because I didn't keep my records and if you think your corpsman or whoever will good luck with that. God bless and good luck you never experience what I have.

Absolutely - Sorry I forgot this one. Having said this, it includes ALL and ANY paperwork the Army EVER GIVES YOU TIL THE DAY YOU DIE. You'd be amazed at how many letters I've had to write to help soldiers get documents they should have kept in the first place....

just a scout
04-01-14, 10:04
Not just medical records, but copy or scan EVERYTHING! I'm going through hell with the VA now 20 years later. They even claimed I was never in combat because it was before GWOT. Copy everything, and make copies of your 201 and 2A every opportunity. Keep it on a secure thumb drive. Keep copies of your pays tubs, awards, hand receipts, statements of charges, everything. You can thank me in 20 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tkoglman
04-01-14, 16:46
Keep your mouth shut and your ears open.

Give everything your best effort.

Make no excuses.

After bootcamp, live like a monk and save every penny. This is the one time in your life that everything you need will be provided, and you will be paid. If you are smart, you will take everything free the Army offers, save every penny they pay you, and leave with a fat bank account. If you are stupid, you'll most likely separate from the Army after your first enlistment in debt with a car that was cool four years ago on which you owe more than it's worth.

Stubby
04-01-14, 16:49
Keep your mouth shut and your ears open.

Give everything your best effort.

Make no excuses.

After bootcamp, live like a monk and save every penny. This is the one time in your life that everything you need will be provided, and you will be paid. If you are smart, you will take everything free the Army offers, save every penny they pay you, and leave with a fat bank account. If you are stupid, you'll most likely separate from the Army after your first enlistment in debt with a car that was cool four years ago on which you owe more than it's worth.

Thankfully I already have my car paid off from my current and summer jobs! But I plan on making a career of it, going to college and becoming an officer

walkin' trails
04-01-14, 19:33
If you're going for a commission, combat arms is a good place to start as an EM, and 11 bang-bang is as combat arms as it gets. Learn to embrace the push-up and be able ro drop and knock out 75-100 at a time even though you'll probably never be required to do that many at one time except on a PT test. Run!! Show and be able to maintain a motivated attitude even when you're dead tired; cold, wet, etc, but not to the point of silliness that could be construed as trying to cause trouble. Be a team player. They will appoint squad leaders and platoon guides from the recruits. You may or may not be one. You must, however be a good follower if you're not in a leadership position. Be professional. I know Army basic has changed since I went thru a bunch of years ago, but there has been some good advice posted on this thread. And do keep copies if everything for your entire career. Best wishes.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Rackit
04-01-14, 19:37
Another thing prolly a little late for you I bought a pair of the boots I was going to get issued been hiking, marching, walking my ass off in them in an attempt to get blisters out of the way.

skydivr
04-01-14, 20:39
If you want to be an officer, a bachelor's degree is a MUST. There are some good Green-to-Gold programs out there. Take your GI bill bennie, and apply for an ROTC scholarship which is nearly a FREE RIDE...Still gotta get thru basic first - baby steps grasshopper.

Wake27
04-01-14, 20:44
ROTC scholarships are VERY few and far between nowadays. There are ways, but you'll have to work.

skydivr
04-01-14, 21:01
ROTC scholarships are VERY few and far between nowadays. There are ways, but you'll have to work.

Very true, but no matter how bad we draw down, there will still be a need for 2LT...still, hate to get OT the OP needs to just get thru Basic first.

johnpuga1982
04-01-14, 21:59
If you want to be an officer, a bachelor's degree is a MUST. There are some good Green-to-Gold programs out there. Take your GI bill bennie, and apply for an ROTC scholarship which is nearly a FREE RIDE...Still gotta get thru basic first - baby steps grasshopper.

I agree with this, but before you apply to Green to Gold you need at least half of your undergrad courses complete. You are authorized two years to complete your degree once you enter Green to Gold status. Prior to applying you must apply to a university and be accepted, while looking for an ROTC program at said school. You must also interview and be accepted by the Professor of Military Science (PMS; O-5).

I'm going to somewhat have to disagree. If you attend a large division one school, yes scholarships maybe limited, but don't over look smaller or private universities. Each program has a mission set they must meet for each year. A lot of them miss it by a few numbers.

There are a few deciding factors the PMS will take into consideration prior to awarding a scholarship. These are the what I consider the top three:

1.) GPA, this is 40% of your over accessions
2.) PT scores
3.) Activities; whether you play sports, prior service, community involvement, well roundness

I went the ROTC route. I'll be Commissioning as an aviation officer at the end this semester.

johnpuga1982
04-01-14, 22:10
Things that helped me at BCT.

1. Don't be afraid to work. Take the initiative.
2. I woke everyone up 45 mins prior to lights on. We conducted hygiene and cleaned the bay prior to lights on.
3. Be a team player, all the time. If your platoon member is getting smoked, take some of the punishment for him.
4. Be fair. I set up the fireguard roster alphabetically, that way everyone did their share and could be held accountable for their times.
5. Secure your gear. Write your name on everything. Lock your locker. Lock your buddies locker.
6. PCC/PCI your platoon members, don't let them fail.
7. Realize at times its going to suck, but you're there for an end state, whatever that is. Remember, short term suffering for long term gain.
8. Do the right thing all the time. Someone is always watching.
9. Learn to let things go. Being angry or having hatred inside you takes up too much energy.
10. Be the person you want to follow.

skydivr
04-01-14, 22:19
I agree with this, but before you apply to Green to Gold you need at least half of your undergrad courses complete. You are authorized two years to complete your degree once you enter Green to Gold status. Prior to applying you must apply to a university and be accepted, while looking for an ROTC program at said school. You must also interview and be accepted by the Professor of Military Science (PMS; O-5).

I'm going to somewhat have to disagree. If you attend a large division one school, yes scholarships maybe limited, but don't over look smaller or private universities. Each program has a mission set they must meet for each year. A lot of them miss it by a few numbers.

There are a few deciding factors the PMS will take into consideration prior to awarding a scholarship. These are the what I consider the top three:

2.) PT scores
3.) Activities; whether you play sports, prior service, community involvement, well roundness

I went the ROTC route. I'll be Commissioning as an aviation officer at the end this semester.

Good for you. ROTC, Western Kentucky University, 1983. 26 years. Seems like yesterday some things just stick. My MRD has come and gone, but if I could do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat.

Wake27
04-02-14, 04:03

2.) PT scores

I commissioned through ROTC in December and came from a school of 5,000. At least for us, scholarships went from few to almost none.

Tiny Killer Robot
04-17-14, 22:51
After basic when you can roam the aisles of the commissary at will, beware the Devils Payment Plan or whatever they are calling the AAFES credit card now. It is EASY to run up a large balance buying crap that you really don't need.

Yote Sniper
04-18-14, 04:12
All Great advice... I retire from the Air Force next year and i can tell you that education, keeping track of your records, financial managment and fulfilling your military commitment honorably are very important. there are alot of "entitlement" mindsets in the new troops coming in. i spent 4 years as a Career Field instructor (F-15E Strike Eagle Weapons systems) and i have seen all walks of life joining. the Air Force is currently getting gutted of some of our most valuable people becuase washington thinks crippling our military is the best way to save money. As a Flight Chief, i will be saying goodbye to 30 percent of my Airman.. i really do love the Air force and the military but its about time to retire in a year. deployed 8 times, 4 wars, traveled the world and have made great friends. but along with that you have to accpet the losses/tradgedy you will face as well...keep it all in perspective and you will do great things. listen to about half of what your recruiter and MEPS says and get your good infor from those who serve or have served who arent trying to sucker you in.

i honor those who still want to serve during these times where pay and benefits are being cut and respect for servicemembers is becoming more common...

Congrats on your enlistment and welcome Brother.

Yote Sniper
04-18-14, 04:13
in 1995 when i joined it was called the DPP card... now its the Star Card.... dumbest idea ever... give an 18 year old kid a 2500 credt card....LOL

After basic when you can roam the aisles of the commissary at will, beware the Devils Payment Plan or whatever they are calling the AAFES credit card now. It is EASY to run up a large balance buying crap that you really don't need.

USMC_Anglico
04-18-14, 05:22
Got a lock on an aviation mechanic

Good deal. Now strive to be the best aviation mechanic in the Army. Just remember as you move through your career, the more you can get to "special" units or associate with them, the better your service will be. The more "special" a unit is, usually the more responsibility/adult treatment goes along with it, rather than the lowest common denominator environment that much of big Army is.

Eurodriver
04-18-14, 12:27
Good deal. Now strive to be the best aviation mechanic in the Army. Just remember as you move through your career, the more you can get to "special" units or associate with them, the better your service will be. The more "special" a unit is, usually the more responsibility/adult treatment goes along with it, rather than the lowest common denominator environment that much of big Army is.

Bingo.

Tiny Killer Robot
04-18-14, 20:11
in 1995 when i joined it was called the DPP card... now its the Star Card.... dumbest idea ever... give an 18 year old kid a 2500 credt card....LOL

Coincidentally, I shipped out to MCRD San Diego Mar of 1995.

kiwi57
04-19-14, 07:27
I agree completely with USMC_Anglico.

The OP's type of query seems to come up on a semi regular basis on M4C. No surprise, I guess. In fact, there are a number of thoughtful and helpful suggestions in this thread, and others, covering similar ground. I occurs to me that a sticky named "Entering the M/A/AF/N/CG?" containing advice and suggestions might be a worthwhile endeavor. Editing would be time consuming given the need to separate the wheat from the chaff. If nothing more, perhaps a list of links that allows the new volunteer to sort through the advice/suggestions, take what he/she finds helpful, and leave the rest.

SeriousStudent
04-19-14, 23:38
I agree completely with USMC_Anglico.

The OP's type of query seems to come up on a semi regular basis on M4C. No surprise, I guess. In fact, there are a number of thoughtful and helpful suggestions in this thread, and others, covering similar ground. I occurs to me that a sticky named "Entering the M/A/AF/N/CG?" containing advice and suggestions might be a worthwhile endeavor. Editing would be time consuming given the need to separate the wheat from the chaff. If nothing more, perhaps a list of links that allows the new volunteer to sort through the advice/suggestions, take what he/she finds helpful, and leave the rest.

Good idea. I may try to do that, in my vast amount of free time.

ClearedHot
04-22-14, 11:46
Avoid the numerous used car dealerships that are conveniently located right near the base, promising to finance anyone E-1+ at 21% APR on a used car.

skydivr
04-22-14, 12:24
Avoid the numerous used car dealerships that are conveniently located right near the base, promising to finance anyone E-1+ at 21% APR on a used car.

And that damned STAR card...

stalker3
04-24-14, 13:55
LOL avoid anyone trying to offer you any "deal"

As far as prepping, PT is cool, you may have a leg up on others if you're doing enough. Start getting used to not having booze, tobacco, caffeine, or whatever it is you're used to having to function and won't have in basic.

When it comes to basic, really just show up. Drills are pretty good at their jobs! With a little common sense, the rest of the answers fall into place.

Stubby
04-24-14, 14:17
Alright guys, shipping out June 10th to Ft.Lenorwood for basic then off to fort sill for AIT, MOS is 13p ... Anyone have a rough guess of where I might get stationed?

prdubi
04-24-14, 14:31
Have fun at lost in woods.....

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Stubby
04-24-14, 14:38
Have fun at lost in woods.....

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Care to explain..? Lol

Wake27
04-24-14, 15:07
Leonard Wood = Lost in the Woods
Benning = Beginning
Eustis = Useless
etc.

Pretty hard to guess where you'll be stationed unfortunately.

GunBugBit
04-24-14, 16:26
Fort Lost In The Woods, yep, that's what we called it.

Scrubber3
04-24-14, 18:15
13P... MLRS, You'll be mechanized. I'd bet Korea or FT Hood.

kiwi57
04-24-14, 21:45
Well, that certainly jogged a long forgotten memory:

"Lost in the woods in a state of misery"

Misery=Missouri

No offense meant.

kiwi57

Leonard Wood = Lost in the Woods
Benning = Beginning
Eustis = Useless
etc.

Pretty hard to guess where you'll be stationed unfortunately.

johnpuga1982
04-29-14, 23:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7IeSug7wFc

GTF425
04-30-14, 05:28
Anyone have a rough guess of where I might get stationed?

Needs of the Army is a good guess.

SOW_0331
04-30-14, 05:38
I hear Bagram and Kandahar have poetry nights and ice skating.

Doesn't seem like the Army NEEDS much of anything...;)

I have no idea what to offer the OP for advice as I never went to Army Basic. Hopefully we'll be seeing some of those Sunday Selfies that are apparently allowed now. Funny, I thought it sucked to go 13 weeks without a phone call to anyone...then I did it for 8 months. Puts hair on yer chest.

OP, did you take my advice? Give it some thought. Wherever you end up stationed, I promise you nobody will think your military status is cool. It'll be harder to get laid than it would be to sell mountain bikes at a retirement home. You've got like a month before that well dries up....take some initiative.

GTF425
04-30-14, 05:58
I hear Bagram and Kandahar have poetry nights and ice skating.

Doesn't seem like the Army NEEDS much of anything...;)

Salsa night in the clamshell on Disney, bro.

We just started that shit on my FOB. Glad to know there are people with enough spare time to go salsa dancing on deployment.

SOW_0331
04-30-14, 06:10
I met an Air Force gal when we dropped some family off at the hospital (RPG gave them all a shrapnel bath). She was very nice to us while we sat on the flight line waiting to go back to assholes with AA guns. Very nice.

I'll trade places with you if you want. No generous AF gals here, and if they've got enough time to Salsa Dance, they definitely have enough time to tango....nom sayin?!?!

SOW_0331
04-30-14, 06:13
Stubby...

Clearly GTF425 and I are corrupted products of our environment. We are bad people. There's some advice you can put in your "money valuables bag" and tie around your junk (they still do that?)...don't be like us.

Don't let them take your soul away, it never comes back.

skydivr
04-30-14, 08:23
Let me see If I've still got them somewhere....would you like pics of your soon-to-be 'home away from home'? I was down in the BCT barracks area at FTL last fall (across the street for a Change of Command)...a whole lot of yelling going on :)

eternal24k
04-30-14, 09:19
Alright guys, shipping out June 10th to Ft.Lenorwood for basic then off to fort sill for AIT, MOS is 13p ... Anyone have a rough guess of where I might get stationed?

Be prepared to be completely underwhelmed. Last friend I have who went to BCT at Lenorwood said they had individual rooms, 2 man per, no shower drills, no stress, and a full night sleep every night. Said they were doing a different approach, less combat emphasis.

As already mentioned, **** what you can now

GunBugBit
04-30-14, 10:47
eternal24k, are you kidding? But seriously, are you kidding? Also, I do not recall "shower drills". That sounds undesirable for a hetero male.

eternal24k
04-30-14, 11:28
eternal24k, are you kidding? But seriously, are you kidding? Also, I do not recall "shower drills". That sounds undesirable for a hetero male.

Dead serious, I was shocked when he told me. He has no memorable Drill SGT moments, said they had one or two smoke sessions.

Shower drills were pretty gay

GunBugBit
04-30-14, 11:54
I guess I'm not surprised, given the "leadership" at the top.

Some of my time in the Cav was harder than my own basic training. I didn't do anywhere near the amount of manual labor in basic that I did as a Cav Trooper. We did more PT in the Cav, too. Just when I thought "do we need all this jogging and calisthenics"? I was assigned to lead remedial PT for the fatties who couldn't pass their PT tests. This occurred at 1700 hours after a full day of work, starting with 0600 PT. That was my reward for getting promoted to Sgt and maxing my PT test.

Sounds like I'm bitching; actually, I enjoyed it.

Stubby
04-30-14, 14:14
I don't have a problem with hard work, but I was also told the "smart" people get sent to lenordwood, not sure if he was full of it or not because most kids I talk to my age seem to be full of shit. But hey as long as I learn what I need to learn I don't have a problem with it, and yes I'd love to see the Pics of lenordwood! And also, currently boinking any girl with a pulse, thanks for the advise guys! I appreciate it

Wake27
04-30-14, 15:20
I don't have a problem with hard work, but I was also told the "smart" people get sent to lenordwood, not sure if he was full of it or not because most kids I talk to my age seem to be full of shit. But hey as long as I learn what I need to learn I don't have a problem with it, and yes I'd love to see the Pics of lenordwood! And also, currently boinking any girl with a pulse, thanks for the advise guys! I appreciate it

Leonard Wood. You don't want to be that guy that can't spell the name of the post.

Stubby
04-30-14, 15:22
Leonard Wood. You don't want to be that guy that can't spell the name of the post.

My bad, my iPhone likes to change words for me!

GunBugBit
05-01-14, 14:15
My bad, my iPhone likes to change words for me!
I can relate to that! I use Siri and things often get hilariously mangled.

treecop
06-11-14, 09:17
Off post on I44 is an establishment called Big Louis'. Take $100 dollars, no debit cards, and enjoy losing part of your soul. It's part strip club, part carnival side show. Good Luck.

BringMeTheHorizon
06-11-14, 12:24
Off post on I44 is an establishment called Big Louis'. Take $100 dollars, no debit cards, and enjoy losing part of your soul. It's part strip club, part carnival side show. Good Luck.

Big Louis' is nothing like it used to be. After dark, is the place to go now.