PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in angels?

Canonshooter
03-27-14, 06:18
I can say with 100% certainty that they're real and walk among us. For all of the evil in the world, angels tip the scales back in favor of good and give us hope, because that's what angels do.

See the links below, my angel's name is Emily;

http://www.massgeneral.org/about/newsarticle.aspx?id=4634#.UyzQC0p3rdo.facebook

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2014/03/nurses_bond_with_bombing_victims_inspires_6_to_run

montanadave
03-27-14, 07:42
Great story. It took me a minute but I recalled your posts from last year. Must make you doubly proud when she's as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside. Best wishes to Emily and her colleagues.

Canonshooter
03-27-14, 15:28
Great story. It took me a minute but I recalled your posts from last year. Must make you doubly proud when she's as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside. Best wishes to Emily and her colleagues.

Thank you!

Koshinn
03-27-14, 15:45
To answer the thread topic: no*.

Since you asked... declaring a caring and wonderful human to actually be an angel takes away from that person's accomplishments. For an angel, being the literal epitome of goodness is part of who they are and not an extraordinary feat in any way; it's expected and average behavior. On the other hand, for a human, it's something to be celebrated, revered, and protected because essentially, it goes against our very being.

* Assuming you're using the term "angel" literally rather than in the metaphorical sense. If used as an adjective or a metaphor, then disregard my post.

Caduceus
03-27-14, 21:21
Well, in the religious sense? I'm on the fence.

See, I was born/raised Catholic. don't go to church that often, confession was decades ago, blah blah blah.

But when I was 14 I fell in a river on a Boy Scout trip. went over a couple small waterfalls (< 15 feet), tumbling like crazy through rapids during a spring melt. Managed to pull myself ashore about 50 yards before Mist Falls (something like 75 feet high). Some dude was just standing there on the rocks, didn't cast me a second glance as I came out. One of the other scouts scrambled down the bank and kind of helped haul me to my feet. I don't remember Bill mentioning or talking to that guy, and I don't remember that guy being there after I stood up. To set the scene, this river bank was about 30-50 feet down a slope from the trail, a bunch of granite rocks scattered along the banks (and slick as hell, apparently). So it wouldn't be that easy for him to scramble up the slope in 1-2 seconds.

My mom thinks it's my guardian angel. Me, I'm not so sure, but I can't really explain it. Then again, I also realize my state of mind wasn't all that great right then.

Here's the falls (in 2004, during a low-volume state). When I went there was a ton more water - none of that riverbed was visible. See the treeline? It's there from the years when there's more water.
http://www.world-of-waterfalls.com/california-mist-falls.html

SeriousStudent
03-27-14, 21:32
I do not think I have ever been more proud of the people of Boston, than immediately after that bombing. Truly, they were brave, they were dedicated, and they were compassionate.

My hat is off to those medical and LE personal that saved so many lives that day, they have my utmost respect and deep appreciation.

Canonshooter
03-28-14, 05:53
Though I use "angels" in a figurative sense, after meeting these young women and seeing/feeling their compassion, I cannot imagine how those under their care would think of them as just hospital personnel. To some of the injured, they are angels in the truest sense of the word.

With all of the bad news we're bombarded with daily, it's stories like these that gives this old guy hope.

Thanks again to all for taking the time to comment.

Watrdawg
03-28-14, 15:04
Yes I do 100%. I wear a medal of the Virgin Mary on a gold chain around my neck. My mother brought it back for my grandmother from the Vatican in 1960. It was blessed by the Pope. My Grandmother wore it up until a couple of days before she died. When the Dr's told my mother and her sisters that my Grandmother only had a few days left they took her personal belonging off of her and put them in her jewelry box. While in the hospital she went into a coma. About a week later she came out of the coma and said come Thursday the funeral is Friday. She died that Wednesday. When the medal was taken off of my Grandmother it was in pristine condition. About a week or so after she died my Aunt was going through my Grandmothers jewelry box and saw the medal. There was a crack going from the top of the Virgin Mary's shoulder, down through her heart and almost to her feet. My Grandmother's name is Mary by the way. The medal was given back to my mother who gave it to me when I went into the Army in 85. I've had it ever since. 2 things have happened since I've had the medal. Once during a dream I had 2 red eyes coming at me from outside my window. The window burst open and I grabbed the medal and prayed to my Grandmother asking her to protect me from the Devil. As I was praying to her the eyes went back out through the window and disappeared. I know it was a dream but I firmly believe she came to my aid. The 2nd thing that happened was to my son. He was about 12 months old at the time and I had laid my necklace on my night stand. My son grabbed it and as he did he stumbled. I don't know how it happened but somehow the chain wrapped around a partially unplugged lamp plug. The lights in the house flickered and my son screamed. I turned around and he was down on the ground. I ran to where he was and saw the necklace on the ground by the plug. The chain was completely melted through but my son didn't have a single mark on him. There had to be a good bit of electricity going through that plug and into the chain to melt it. I'm sure my son would have been at least burnt somehow. Nothing, not even a tiny red spot. I firmly believe that she is our guardian angel.

williejc
03-29-14, 21:35
Yes, and in demons too. 40 years ago a demon riding a 200 lb chicken chased me as I drove across Alabama into Mississippi.

NWPilgrim
03-30-14, 03:57
Absolutely I do. I was saved from being crushed while logging alone by a pure miracle. Flashed in my mind that it was an angels hand even though I was far away from my faith in those years. I was left in wonderment because my life then was not great and I wondered why bother saving me? A few years later (still mostly pagan) I slipped off a three story building while roofing. Felt like I floated to the ground and landed softer than going down a single step.

Many years later I converted and eventually realized miracles and influence of angels are happening every day. Making an out of character choice that radically propels your life. Saying something simply but heartfelt that unknowingly inspires and saves another.

Works the other way too. We are responsible for our choices and actions but there certainly are angels helping and demons trying to thwart and corrupt. Neither can make ys do anything but only encourage one way or the other and harm or help.

Koshinn
03-30-14, 05:17
a demon riding a 200 lb chicken chased me as I drove across Alabama into Mississippi.

Is "chicken" slang for something... Or literally a 200 lb farm bird?

The_War_Wagon
03-30-14, 05:58
I believe in angels, as they are described in The Bible. I don't believe in angels, as portrayed in shows like, "Touched... by a gnostic heresy." :rolleyes: Sadly, MOST cultural depictions of angels these days, are similarly wrong and mis-leading. Leads to such nonsensical ramblings as one typically sees on the evening news, of grieving loved ones speaking of the deceased in such terms as, 'I guess God needed another angel in heaven.' Oy vey... :fie:

Angels are angels and people are people, and they do NOT magically morph, one into another, EVER. THAT said, read up on the Commander of the Armies of the Lord in the Book of Joshua sometime - GREAT stuff! :cool:

Abraham
03-30-14, 09:17
I believe in Nurses.

Angels/Devil's/Ghosts/God no.

There's prestidigitation, but there's no magic...

jmp45
03-30-14, 09:35
Yes, several experiences confirmed them to me over the course of many years. I like many was a total unbeliever in anything supernatural until these experiences proved to me otherwise. Having an experience changes everything.

Quiet-Matt
03-30-14, 11:48
I believe in angels, as they are described in The Bible. I don't believe in angels, as portrayed in shows like, "Touched... by a gnostic heresy." :rolleyes: Sadly, MOST cultural depictions of angels these days, are similarly wrong and mis-leading. Leads to such nonsensical ramblings as one typically sees on the evening news, of grieving loved ones speaking of the deceased in such terms as, 'I guess God needed another angel in heaven.' Oy vey... :fie:

Angels are angels and people are people, and they do NOT magically morph, one into another, EVER. THAT said, read up on the Commander of the Armies of the Lord in the Book of Joshua sometime - GREAT stuff! :cool:

I'm with The War Wagon on this one, 100%

williejc
03-30-14, 19:42
Koshinn, I was referring to a farm bird.

Magic_Salad0892
03-30-14, 20:03
Great thread, OP.

HKGuns
03-30-14, 20:08
Agree, great thread OP....those polluting it with nonsense should be ashamed. Thanks for posting something good.

Canonshooter
04-05-14, 06:11
Thanks to all for responding!

Regardless of your POV on the title of this post, there is no doubt that these young women - and ALL First Responders everywhere - are people we count on. In my case, I consider myself fortunate and extremely proud of my daughter's dedication to her profession and the caring human she is.

I will admit I had tears running down my face last night as I watched this interview aired on the Boston CBS channel last night. Check out the link below to the interview as well as the links at the end of the article where charitable donations can be made.

God bless all of our First Responders and Medical Professionals!

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/04/04/six-mgh-nurses-running-marathon-in-honor-of-those-they-treated/

montanadave
04-05-14, 16:13
Thanks for posting the link to the news report. Again, a great bunch of young women. Donation sent and be sure to provide a post-race report.

Tell Emily to watch out for Mile 22. I've only run one marathon and my most vivid memory was ducking into a porta-potti at around mile 22 and having this voice in my head screaming, "Just get over to that table, grab 6-7 bottles of Gatorade, and lock yourself in this shitter until everybody goes home. Then you can sneak back to the car and get the hell outa here."

I finished ugly, but I finished. :lol:

Canonshooter
04-06-14, 05:52
Thanks for posting the link to the news report. Again, a great bunch of young women. Donation sent and be sure to provide a post-race report.

I finished ugly, but I finished. :lol:

Thank you!

Emily already knows what's coming, I think it may be Heartbreak Hill you are referring to? I've been trying to drill into her head to "walk when you have to" and that there's no shame in having to do so. The guy from Kenya who weighs 95 pounds soaking wet (and who I think has hollow bones like a bird) will probably win again this year.

Thanks again to all for you best wishes!.

montanadave
04-06-14, 08:15
Not sure what the mileage is at Heartbreak Hill on the Boston marathon course. I just know your mind takes you to a kinda dark place around that stage of a marathon. My brother, who had run multiple marathons warned me ahead of time, but it was still surprising how tough it was to push through it.

I'm guessing Emily will run it like a champ. Going with such a great group of gals and having the motivation they all share will make it seem like a walk in the park.

fixit69
04-06-14, 16:59
I absolutly believe in them. Long, long stories short, there are no explanations for the reason I'm still alive. To many things for coincidence. Until it happens to you, I wouldn't expect anyone to belive. But when it happens, you will know.

montanadave
04-21-14, 12:30
So what's the news on Emily and her teammates? I hope they had a good race.

JusticeM4
04-22-14, 04:00
I absolutly believe in them. Long, long stories short, there are no explanations for the reason I'm still alive. To many things for coincidence. Until it happens to you, I wouldn't expect anyone to belive. But when it happens, you will know.

Same here.

There is no way that in the some of the recklessness and stupidity of my youth that I should still be alive.

Also, some people can be compared to angels as in they have the compassion and kindness of angels, but they are not angels themselves. That I can agree to.

Canonshooter
04-22-14, 16:30
Not sure what the mileage is at Heartbreak Hill on the Boston marathon course. I just know your mind takes you to a kinda dark place around that stage of a marathon. My brother, who had run multiple marathons warned me ahead of time, but it was still surprising how tough it was to push through it.

I'm guessing Emily will run it like a champ. Going with such a great group of gals and having the motivation they all share will make it seem like a walk in the park.

She did indeed! We met her at Heart Break Hill where I took this photo. The Boston mass transit system was too overwhelmed to get us to the finish line on time, but she made it there. A truly amazing day!

http://www.canonshooter.com/2014BostonMarathon/Photos/2014BM-23.jpg

montanadave
04-22-14, 18:23
Congrats to Emily, her fellow runners, all the participants, and the city of Boston. Had to have been a wonderful day.