PDA

View Full Version : Hunting - 26 yard zero

platoonDaddy
03-27-14, 20:12
Interesting read:

Point blank range defined is the range of distances at which you can hold your rifle on the bullseye and never fall in or out of your target’s kill zone. The point blank range for a deer, for example, is generally regarded as six inches. In other words, if you hold dead center on the vitals, your bullet can be 3 inches high or 3 inches low before it slips out of the vital zone. An elk’s vital zone is larger of course—we’ll say 8 inches. But I like to stay with the 6-inch rule of thumb because is allows for some shooter error, an occurrence that you’d be naive to assume doesn’t happen while in field positions shooting at wild game.

So many hunters zero their rifles at 100 yards that it’s almost become standard practice. But the following examples will illustrate why that’s not a great zero for a rifleman who wishes to be able to take shots quickly, without calculating, from point blank to nearly 300 yards.

http://www.americanhunter.org/26yardzero

Leaveammoforme
03-27-14, 20:41
I understand the idea of the "point blank" zero. From a hunting perspective I find it lacking. If you can not tell the difference between a deer @ 100 yards or elk @ 300 and ,on top of that, not know your simple 300 drop I think you shouldn't be shooting at the animal anyways. If you're on your -8 of the point blank and squeeze a bad shot ( on an already bad shot) you just caused yourself problems. Dangerous game up close isn't going to care that you shot them 2 inches low (with your 100 zero, because you forgot to aim high) in the face. If you can not tell; I advocate knowing drops, POA vs POI & basic ranging skills for safe animal hunting.

c3006
03-28-14, 10:56
Practice makes a lot of that article irrelevant.

Onyx Z
04-01-14, 00:04
This sounds like the same general idea as the 50yd zero, all results dependent upon ammo of course... ~1.2" low at 25yds, dead on at 50yds, ~1.5" high at 100yds, ~.5" high at 200yds, zeroed ~240yds.