PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for a Glock 20sf with a 6" hunting barrel.

5.56Geo
03-27-14, 23:19
What bullet weight(s) would you recommend on pig and medium size deer out of a factory 6" 10mm Glock barrel? I have developed 180 and 200 grain 10mm loads that I use on the factory length barrel but was wondering if I should try lighter bullets. My powder of choice has been BlueDot with CCI primers.

Thanks- Geo

Leaveammoforme
03-27-14, 23:32
The way I've been led to understand is you do not want to shoot reloads out of factory glock barrels. I've been told that the chambers are on the big end of specs which adds to reliability but is hard on brass. It was also stated by some that modest loads on once fired brass will be OK. I personally don't shoot reloads out of mine. Couple of aftermarket barrel companies you could look at are Stormlake, KKM & Lone wolf. Of course, research them a little to make sure you are getting what you want.

markm
03-28-14, 11:22
The way I've been led to understand is you do not want to shoot reloads out of factory glock barrels.

That's just a bunch of liberal nonsense to appease the lawyers. Good ammo is good ammo. Bad reloads are bad in any gun.

Ttwwaack
03-28-14, 15:19
The only thing Glock states that I saw was the use of cast lead bullets in their polliganally rifled barrels. Folks are still using casted bullets but insuring leading is not occurring and a more frequent cleaning scheduale. I myself will stick with jacketed bullets but on occassion have run a mag or two of cast through during load development.

Reportedly Glock tightend up chambers on the gen 3 G20s but it is not as tight as KKM, Lonewolf ect... The chamber is still loose enough to ensure reliability but tightend up to prevent blowouts. When moving to full house boutique ammo, recoil springs need to be upped to prevent premachure unlocking (smileys) and also shrinks extreme spreads.

I don't know of what your state requirement is for pistol hunting as some have a caliber or ft lb power requirement. I'd stick with the loads you have as two holes leak better than one and stick with a bonded/well constructed bullet. If you want a flatter trajectory/more velocity, try moving to slower powders like 800x, long shot ect. The is some good info over at Glocktalk in the Clubs subforum under 10mm reloading.