PDA

View Full Version : Time to buy Russian?

sewvacman
03-28-14, 07:17
Just wondering what everybody thinks. Since we have Putin getting ready to piss off our Commander in Chief by taking over the Ukraine, I feel its only a matter of time before we stop importing Russian made firearms and components. Banking on that I went out yesterday and bought 2 Saiga ak47's. Now I was going to buy a couple next month anyway but I bought two this month because I think the prices will go up soon and have been slowly nudging their way up. If they don't, oh well, I was going to get them anyway

What do you guys think? Is now the time to buy Russian firearms, ammo and components? Sks's, mosin-nagants, AK's and the like, do you think they are going to stop importation and that prices are going to go up?

Alex V
03-28-14, 07:40
Just wondering what everybody thinks. Since we have Putin getting ready to piss off our Commander in Chief by taking over the Ukraine, I feel its only a matter of time before we stop importing Russian made firearms and components. Banking on that I went out yesterday and bought 2 Saiga ak47's. Now I was going to buy a couple next month anyway but I bought two this month because I think the prices will go up soon and have been slowly nudging their way up. If they don't, oh well, I was going to get them anyway

What do you guys think? Is now the time to buy Russian firearms, ammo and components? Sks's, mosin-nagants, AK's and the like, do you think they are going to stop importation and that prices are going to go up?

I am more worried about the possible importation freeze on Russian strippers. I can usually get a free lap dance out of them by speaking of the motherland in their native language lol.

I honestly doubt we will stop trade relations with Russia over this. Obama is simply not that tough. He may ban importation of foreign made firearms and ammo as a gun control item, but I don't think he will act in any meaningful way against Russia.

That said, I think prices on Russian made AK's will go up because of peoples fear that they may be no longer imported in the future.

Honu
03-28-14, 08:04
I will put my money into American made products ! would rather they make money than the imports

Straight Shooter
03-28-14, 08:44
To answer your question..one Ive already started to ask several times myself...YES. I do think this is gonna affect those items. As a lover of most military style weapons from almost all countries, Im very shocked that the ****NUTS-IN-CHIEF hasn't already stopped the importation of Russian weapons & ammo.
Im trying to stock up on 7.62X39 at the moment, and maybe get another couple Nagants whilst the prices are still reasonable.

Big A
03-28-14, 10:23
Unless you don't have the money, it is never not a good time to buy anything you want. This is the only market where the items involved will be banned and or restricted heavily so act accordingly. If you didn't pay attenion to what happen in this indusrty after Sandy Hook then you are way behind the curve. I was too young to own firearms when the '94 AWB took effect and wasn't as switched on when it sunsetted in '04. Ever since then I have been steadily buying ammo and mags for everything I own.

If I had the extra funds I'd be sitting on a few NIB LE6920's and Glock 19's and a shit ton of mags for the next panic.

I personally have no interest in Russian guns. They don't really excite me. And because the POTUS can ban them and their componets with the stroke of his pen I have decide to invest my funds elsewhere. If you're already into these platforms then keep on truckin' but if you are not, I would suggest you spend your funds on something that you are.

Watrdawg
03-28-14, 10:55
Waste of time and money. I'd much rather spend my money on US products. Obama's not going to do anything anyways. Regardless purchasing Russian weapons would be for novelty purposes only.

sewvacman
03-28-14, 11:51
I would have no problem buying a US made AK That was of the same quality for a bit more $$ but they just don't exist to my knowledge. At least the US is going to make money off of the conversions. If AK's aren't your thing that's fine. But that wasn't the point of the post.

Do you think Russian guns, ammo, mags and the like will go up in price because of import restrictions is the jist. Is buying now a good investment?

The last couple months IMO has never been a better time to buy just about any AR or AK. Prices haven't been this low since the first post Obama rush. Mags, ammo, parts, have been relatively low. Now I am keeping the guns, no money will be made there, but buying Russian mags and ammo to sell off later to the GB/arfcom crowd who just "has to have it" because it's the "real deal" Russian stuff to me is just a good investment. I just want to hear others opinion on the matter as well.

Big A
03-28-14, 13:10
If you want an AK then yes, buy it now as the guns themselves aren't gonna get cheaper. The only reason I can think of not to is because the president, even the next one we get in 2016, can ban them and their components with an Executive Order.

However, I think you'd be better off spending the money on a platform you already own. Ammo, mags, TRAINING and other things associated with it as opposed to adding another gun that takes different ammo and different mags.

In the end it's your money so it is your call. Spend wisely and train safely.

Caeser25
03-28-14, 13:25
There's plenty of other countries that make AK stuff that goes bang just the same, unless you absolutely have to have one from Russia I wouldn't worry. If we do get an important ban, maybe find out who senator yee's contact was and keep a mental note for the future :)

brickboy240
03-28-14, 15:02
Umm...the US made 7.62x39 ammo really sucks. It is not made for the AK or SKS like the East Bloc steel cased stuff and it is expensive.

Luckily, I have stocked up on Wolf ammo, although 7.62x39 DOES come here from Poland and Serbia as well.

I love all the "buy American" people....posting from Chinese made computers and probably driving Chevy or Dodge trucks that were assembled in Mexico or Canada from foreign made parts! LOL

-brickboy240

Ned Christiansen
03-28-14, 15:24
A couple presidents ago a high-ranking Chinese diplomat was allowed to put his bloody mitts on our Liberty Bell. Later, the president "punished" the Chinese for some outrage, I don't remember which one, by curtailing the importation of Chinese guns & ammo to the US. Nothing else, mind you (as I recall or as I understood it at the time). So.... I would not be surprised if, no matter what Russia does, it will be business as usual but for a token "sanction" that would give the twofer benefit of being a sneaky, backdoor form of gun control.

ABNAK
03-28-14, 15:24
Just got a case of Golden Tiger the other day. Was thinking the same thing.

Moose-Knuckle
03-29-14, 03:20
The time has passed if you want to get into the AK game as the panic on imported Russian ammo has already begun thanks to comments from Kerry about possible sanctions due to the situation in Crimea and Obama's infamous "under the radar gun control measures" comment. Just this week it has been confirmed by several sources on different sites that the BATFE has made a ruling and stopped the importation of surplus Russian 7N6 5.45x39mm. I have also heard from a friend who has a contact at Wolf Ammo that the Russians have canceled all future exports of Russian ammo to the US on there end. Not sure how official all that is but a site that I just ordered a case from last week had 38 cases of the 8M3 loading in stock and sold out over night. My area Wal-Mart stores have been cleaned out of Tula 7.62x39.

Here is a thread that was actually merged from two different threads on the matter in the ammunition technical sub-forum:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?148938-Possible-new-ammo-shortage-if-you-believe-this-source-(RUSSIAN-IMPORTS-RELATED)

Moose-Knuckle
03-29-14, 03:27
Umm...the US made 7.62x39 ammo really sucks. It is not made for the AK or SKS like the East Bloc steel cased stuff and it is expensive.

Could you elaborate on this a little; what brands, bullet types and weights? The Hornady SST, Winchester SuperX SP's, and PD1 Defender HP's have all received high marks from shooters and ballistic tests.

RWH24
03-29-14, 13:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zDFXe5kMWQ

http://www.thebangswitch.com/import-ban-on-7n6-5-45x39/

ATF bans importation of 5.45x39 7n6 ammo from Russia.

ABNAK
03-29-14, 13:22
Could you elaborate on this a little; what brands, bullet types and weights? The Hornady SST, Winchester SuperX SP's, and PD1 Defender HP's have all received high marks from shooters and ballistic tests.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess he was talking about the brass cased FMJ stuff----Remington, WWB, American Eagle.

sewvacman
03-30-14, 11:03
The time has passed if you want to get into the AK game as the panic on imported Russian ammo has already begun thanks to comments from Kerry about possible sanctions due to the situation in Crimea and Obama's infamous "under the radar gun control measures" comment. Just this week it has been confirmed by several sources on different sites that the BATFE has made a ruling and stopped the importation of surplus Russian 7N6 5.45x39mm. I have also heard from a friend who has a contact at Wolf Ammo that the Russians have canceled all future exports of Russian ammo to the US on there end. Not sure how official all that is but a site that I just ordered a case from last week had 38 cases of the 8M3 loading in stock and sold out over night. My area Wal-Mart stores have been cleaned out of Tula 7.62x39.

Here is a thread that was actually merged from two different threads on the matter in the ammunition technical sub-forum:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?148938-Possible-new-ammo-shortage-if-you-believe-this-source-(RUSSIAN-IMPORTS-RELATED)

Damn, I missed that thread. I've been delaying buying 5.45x39 ammo because a buddy of mine is supposed to buy my only ak74 but has been dragging his heels on getting it and I'm down to 60rds. Looks like there's still some out there for a decent price ($220-250 1080rds @ Buds $285 on GB) but I'll have to tell him to shit or get off the pot so I'm not SOL if he backs out down the road. 7.62x39 still looks plentiful and cheap. For now..

Looks like it would be a good investment though. I still have 12 plum Russians I tucked away years ago @ $15ea. Cant wait to see what they end up at.