PDA

View Full Version : CMMG dedicated collar vs chamber insert (practical diff?)

wacki
03-28-14, 11:04
Ok so assuming the same twist and barrel quality, how big of a difference is there between a dedicated collar and chamber insert with the CMMG kits? Accuracy? Reliability?

Koshinn
03-28-14, 11:10
Ok so assuming the same twist and barrel quality, how big of a difference is there between a dedicated collar and chamber insert with the CMMG kits? Accuracy? Reliability?

Um... the .22 dedicated barrels havea 1/16 twist, ARs generally have 1/7-1/9 twist. .22 dedicated barrels don't have a port because they don't need one either. You can't assume same twist, you have to take it with the collar vs insert.

You'll see MUCH better accuracy out of the slower twist .22 dedicated barrels. Plus you don't have to clean out your gas tube.

wacki
03-28-14, 11:25
I know. The question still stands. I've got multiple barrel options. The custom barrel makers can't do a dedicated collar in the configuration I want and I'm wondering how big of a deal that is. The custom barrel makers can only do 5.56 chamber.

So I can either get a false chamber or a sub optimal barrel profile. I'm building an integrally suppressed AR in 22LR.

Top contenders for steel (can't use Al) 22LR barrels are CMMG or Compass Lake. Compass lake can do either the m261 kit or CMMG w/ false chamber. Compass lake can not do a dedicated collar.

Koshinn
03-28-14, 13:36
I know. The question still stands. I've got multiple barrel options. The custom barrel makers can't do a dedicated collar in the configuration I want and I'm wondering how big of a deal that is. The custom barrel makers can only do 5.56 chamber.

So I can either get a false chamber or a sub optimal barrel profile. I'm building an integrally suppressed AR in 22LR.

Top contenders for steel (can't use Al) 22LR barrels are CMMG or Compass Lake. Compass lake can do either the m261 kit or CMMG w/ false chamber. Compass lake can not do a dedicated collar.

Why do you need a custom barrel? http://www.cmmginc.com/category_s/1841.htm

If the length or profile doesn't suit you, send it to ADCO and they'll fix your problem.

I can tell you that the dedicated cmmg .22lr barrel with the collar is a very good setup. Using the chamber insert probably works, but I can't make a comparison with the same barrel, only with a 5.56 barrel. I can't imagine many, if any, people have a 5.56 chambered 1/16 barrel or a .22lr extension on a 1/7 barrel to do a apples to apples test.

wacki
03-28-14, 14:15
Why ADCO? Do they make CMMG? I need a thick bull barrel as a HUGE suppressor will be hanging off the end.

discreet
03-29-14, 00:08
You know you'd probably get a whole lot more input if this thread was moved to beyond 556...

And Adco make cmmg? They are a gunsmithing shop that can reprofile/chop barrels etc. Honestly a little confused to why it will have such a huge supressor on it for a .22. .22's really aren't hard to tame down sound wise at all. The action will be what makes the most noise, and a silencer has nothing to do with it.

You really need to get a true dedicated .22 barrel like mentioned above. 1/7 & 1/9 is worthless for .22's especially if your putting as much money into the gun as it seems you will be.

Todd.K
03-29-14, 09:30
You should get the 22LR chamber in the barrel. If you don't want to compromise on the profile I think you will eventually regret settling for a sloppy chamber adapter. Do a bit more research and you can find a couple of gunsmiths that do 22LR AR barrels.

What is the reason for an integral on a 22LR AR?

wacki
03-29-14, 10:28
What is the reason for an integral on a 22LR AR?

I'm getting a liberty Leonidas 300 BLK. And then a clone in 22LR. Liberty sells the pinnacle 2 but I'm not a 10/22 kind of guy.

wacki
03-29-14, 11:13
Do a bit more research and you can find a couple of gunsmiths that do 22LR AR barrels.

Beyer barrels only works with aluminum. Got any others? It needs to be steel.

discreet
03-29-14, 11:25

May I ask why it's so imperitive to have a clone of another gun? It seems your making this build so complex that I just don't think you will ever get it done.

wacki
03-29-14, 11:34
May I ask why it's so imperitive to have a clone of another gun? It seems your making this build so complex that I just don't think you will ever get it done.

The hardest part (for me) will be the barrel.

BSmith
03-29-14, 18:56
I love how only one person has halfway answered the question asked.

Could you tell them just to not chamber it and have it done elsewhere?

Todd.K
03-29-14, 19:39

This guy makes 22LR barrels.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?68844-CMMG-5-5-quot-22-TEST-upper&p=923377#post923377

I'm still not sure why it needs to be integral. Do you expect it to be more quiet? To me an integral is mainly for cosmetics or a ported barrel, and I think they are mostly outdated. Why not one SBR lower, regular 300 BLK and 22LR uppers, and regular silencers for each?

blade_68
03-30-14, 17:09
Check with Ballistic Advantage, I just seen and posted in thread beyond 5.56.. It's been a good barrel with Spikes Tactical conversion. I'll dig it out and take a picture for you for comparison if needed.