PDA

View Full Version : Striker fired HK in development?

Devildawg2531
03-28-14, 19:25
I would lve to see a striker fired HK in 9mm; basically a P30 and sub compact version that are stiker fired with a great trigger and then traditional HK price, quality, accuracy, etc.

For those in the "know" is there any talk of this or development?

It would seem HK would be moving in this direction but I don't know.

LoveAR
03-28-14, 19:33
Here you go:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542294

PatrioticDisorder
03-28-14, 21:16
Here you go:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542294

If that pistol is legit, they'll have a hard time making enough of the pistol and mags... My guess is $850 street price, I want 3.

teutonicpolymer
03-28-14, 21:35
I am hoping that this has a ppq quality trigger pull

LightningFast
03-28-14, 21:38
I am hoping that this has a ppq quality trigger pull

With HK's previous offerings, I would be very surprised if that was the case.

Or, ya know, just buy a PPQ.

Trajan
03-28-14, 21:44

So you've never played with a P7 then.

teutonicpolymer
03-28-14, 21:49

I don't like the ppq size

LoveAR
03-28-14, 22:06
If that pistol is legit, they'll have a hard time making enough of the pistol and mags... My guess is $850 street price, I want 3.

I would have to get one.

:)

t1tan
03-28-14, 22:12
I don't like the ppq size

Then you'll be disappointed in the size of this pistol.

I'll be trying one out if it allows to control the striker during re-holstering, if not I'll finally get a P30 when the V4.1 is available.

teutonicpolymer
03-28-14, 22:14

I'll be trying one out if it allows to control the striker during re-holstering, if not I'll finally get a P30 when the V4.1 is available.

the ppq is wider than the glock 21

I suppose the p30 is even wider but I am still hopeful that it can be made in a slimmer profile

t1tan
03-28-14, 22:35
the ppq is wider than the glock 21

I suppose the p30 is even wider but I am still hopeful that it can be made in a slimmer profile

Didn't know you were referring to width, based on montrala's post at HKPro you might be pleased then...

"Getting back to SFP9. I saw it and it looks like one in photo from OP. However this is not exactly how it will look. There will be actually 2 pistols. One made up to official German Police requirements for 9mm pistol (one on pictures) and one for general/civilian market. Difference will be mainly in 2 areas. Civilian version will have slim line slide and second it will have trigger with reduced travel and reset. I do not know exact figures, but I hope they will get it right."

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/196109-p30-striker-sfp-28.html#post1483212

jyo
03-29-14, 00:03
Looks cool---I'll buy one if they can get any into Kalifornia with it's silly safety list...

Endur
03-29-14, 00:21
Count me in, looks like a nice pistol. Hopefully they do come out with it and it gets a good aftermarket following...doubtful..

MoCop
03-29-14, 06:54
I'd like to try one as well. Very interesting piece.

Redbeardsong
03-29-14, 07:18
Yes, it is in development. I was hoping we'd see it at SHOT. Maybe by the NRA show? Info I've been told is that they are trying for a $500-$600 street price.

MegademiC
03-29-14, 10:06
Very Interested. Im currently using an m&p40, waiting to pick up an m&p 9 once I'm sure I'll get a solid one, and save up... however, I'm not face-deep in investments yet, so this is definitely and extremely desireable option.

My biggest dislike with HKs is the slide hight, width, and the angled backstrap(felt like I couldn't get high on the gun)... this looks to address all that. That grip looks like it would invite your hand very high on the gun, and the slide goes back enough that slide bite would be a non issue.

If this thing is as good as it looks, and has a reasonable trigger pull length, I'll probably end up with one.

mkmckinley
03-29-14, 10:17
What's V4.1 supposed to be?

Dos Cylindros
03-29-14, 10:56
What's V4.1 supposed to be?

It's a reduced travel trigger for the P30.

TAZ
03-29-14, 11:41
Yes, it is in development. I was hoping we'd see it at SHOT. Maybe by the NRA show? Info I've been told is that they are trying for a $500-$600 street price.

Now that would be interesting for HK to have that kind of price. At that price I'd jump on that like white on rice.

C4IGrant
03-29-14, 12:06
Rumor has it that this pistol will be shown in May at the NRA convention.

C4

djegators
03-29-14, 12:18
Very interesting! Hopefully it will be as good as the FNS-9 :))...which I have referred to before as a morph of a GLOCK and a HK.

Coal Dragger
03-29-14, 14:42
Very interesting development. Probably too much to ask for it to have a trigger as good as a P7 though. Still worth a look as an EDC, I also wonder if we might see this treatment given the the HK45? I might be a buyer for both given the triggers are good, or at least able to be tuned a bit.

Jupiter
03-31-14, 15:25
The reason for the delays in releasing a new striker fired HK is because HK Engineers have been working diligently trying to develop a mediocre trigger for the pistol.

teutonicpolymer
03-31-14, 15:27
The reason for the delays in releasing a new striker fired HK is because HK Engineers have been working diligently trying to develop a mediocre trigger for the pistol.

this made me laugh

if the trigger is decent then this will be the new thing to buy

so glad I didn't go and buy a USP expert now...

Jupiter
03-31-14, 15:51
if the trigger is decent then this will be the new thing to buy

Me too, teutonicpolymer.
I hope it's crap, I can't afford another gun anytime soon.:)

brickboy240
03-31-14, 16:40
As long as the trigger has a noticeable re-set...unlike the M&P...I'd give it a serious look.

Hey...you know...sometime....SOMEday...someone is going to make the Glock-killer pistol.

If anyone is going to unseat Glock...it would probably be HK.

With HK's overall build quality and reliability...I might be able to overlook a so-so trigger.

-brickboy240

Sam
03-31-14, 16:46
As long as the trigger has a noticeable re-set...unlike the M&P...I'd give it a serious look.

Hey...you know...sometime....SOMEday...someone is going to make the Glock-killer pistol.

If anyone is going to unseat Glock...it would probably be HK.

With HK's overall build quality and reliability...I might be able to overlook a so-so trigger.

-brickboy240

Have you handled or shot the Walther PPQ?

Walther's public relation and advertisement is poor compared to Glock. But I think their product (the PPQ) is much more shooter friendly than the Glock.

brickboy240
03-31-14, 16:55
Yes...I have handled a PPQ but have not shot one. Reports seem to indicate that the PPQ is very accurate.

The PPQ is interesting but like many other "service-sized" Walther offerings...I wonder if it is here to stay or will it go the way of the P-99 in years to come.

Believe me...I have often thought about going to the PPQ, as it does seem to be catching on and the holster choices and mag availability issues seem to be solving themselves. The price of the PPQ is also amazing...I doubt the HK striker pistol will be that affordable.

-brickboy240

Sensei
03-31-14, 22:11
Have you handled or shot the Walther PPQ?

Walther's public relation and advertisement is poor compared to Glock. But I think their product (the PPQ) is much more shooter friendly than the Glock.

A few months ago I posted some comparison pictures for Army Chief of a PPQ next to a G19 at various angles. The size difference is real and, along with Glock's OEM and aftermarket support, the reason why I have multiple G19's and only one PPQ.

When it comes to a striker fired HK, I expect that the initial offering will not compete with Glock in the size category. That may change down the road as compact models (similar to the HK2000sk) hit the market. At least the parts availability for an HK should be better than the PPQ.

Texaspoff
04-01-14, 06:46
I am awaiting the mythical unicorn striker H&K as well. While it may be frustrating waiting for it's appearance, there is one thing I would almost bet a years salary on, " It will work". If there is anything you can say about H&K, other than they can cost enough to make Donald Trump cough, is they are reliable. And to a lot of folks, the admission is worth the price.

The P30 has been a strong seller for H&K and if the striker pistol is akin to it, it should do better. The PPQ is a fine pistol, but it's lack of support will prevent it from becoming a contender in LE circles. H&K has a small hold in LE market, and a viable striker fired pistol could be a game changer for them.

TXPO

brickboy240
04-01-14, 09:33
I tend to agree.

Maybe HK is taking so long...because they want to get it right the first time.

If it works 100% and runs like all other HK semi-autos (USP, P2000 and the P-30s) and it costs 800-900 bucks...people WILL buy it.

Yes, the lack of "support" for the PPQ, along with limited holster choices and the path that the P99 took DOES factor in to why I am still hesitant about buying a PPQ.

The Glock-killer WILL come...and if anyone is going to build it...it will be HK.

-brickboy240

montrala
04-01-14, 10:14
Maybe HK is taking so long...because they want to get it right the first time.

Not "want". "Must". On their market and with their brand, HK can not afford to use end users as beta testers, like some other companies do.

HK is developing this pistol (Police version of it actually, there is civi/competition version in works as well) with specific solicitation in mind. To beat other, much cheaper competitors, they must have big quality margin. No place for "teething" problems. Generally HK stuff, when finally comes out, is really well designed and toughly tested. This R&D process (plus QA process on manufacturing stage) is probably biggest part of price they ask for their products.

Talon167
04-01-14, 10:58
Not "want". "Must". On their market and with their brand, HK can not afford to use end users as beta testers, like some other companies do.

HK is developing this pistol (Police version of it actually, there is civi/competition version in works as well) with specific solicitation in mind. To beat other, much cheaper competitors, they must have big quality margin. No place for "teething" problems. Generally HK stuff, when finally comes out, is really well designed and toughly tested. This R&D process (plus QA process on manufacturing stage) is probably biggest part of price they ask for their products.

Any idea what these will run? Current P30ish prices?

brickboy240
04-01-14, 11:02
If it is of typical HK build quality, runs like the devil and is under 900 bucks...it WILL sell.

-brickboy240

Mauser KAR98K
04-01-14, 13:14
Any idea what these will run? Current P30ish prices?

From my understanding on other boards, they are trying to get it around the same as Glocks and M&Ps, but will probably be a little higher. If they can secure it around $700 and keep the quality there and the trigger is much better, then Glock and the M&P will have a very stiff competition. I truly hope so. My P30s is the best feeling handgun I own, and the .40 version I have is very smooth considering. I started out on M&Ps and I love the platform, minus the triggers. My dream gun, though is a P30 or even the HK45 with an APEX FSS trigger like the one I had placed in my M&P45.

This pistol if done right could do wonders for HK. What the downsides, however, will be, is the trigger channel in the middle of the trigger guard. For some of us it cuts into my index finger. Judging from the picture of the SFP, it still has it. The magazine release for those who are so used to push-button releases. Shooters who pick up an HK for the first (minus the P7) have a hard time ejecting the mag as they push in to release. Once they understand to push down, some complain--particular with the USP--that they have to break their hand to release the magazine. (So, on certain Glocks and 1911s I have to do that anyways). For those who have spent quality time on a HK knows to release the magazine with their middle or trigger finger (I use the trigger finger). The last thing that will hamper the SPF is the bad reputation HK has, particular their customer service, their price, and the seemingly lack to give what their "customers" want. It seems, though, HK is doing what it can to clean up the latter, but they have to deal with German weapons export laws (something grossly overlooked by American shooters). Their customer services has greatly improved. Yet, the prices has generally been the biggest scare for American shooters, especially in this low income economy we are in (what recovery).

What HK does have, however, is their quality and their repetition for making pistols that really last. Federal Ammunition has a USP .45 with something like 300,000 through it. Springs have been changed, but it is reported (or rumored) that it still has the original barrel. On top of this, H&K has not had any of the teething problems like some well known pistols on the US market have had. (I believe the USP when it was introduced had one, but it was cleaned up very quickly). BTF is a term common with the Gen3 and Gen4 Glocks. The M&P with its trigger and accuracy problems that have finally been addressed. And the big reason why is HK, as some noted here, does not have their end users beta test their weapons (lets hope they keep that up with this pistol).

And it should be noted that it is probably why we have not seen the SPF on the market yet. They were suppose to have unveiled it (or the P30SK) at 2014 SHOT, but delayed it as they wanted more testing done. This isn't the first time this has happened with HK. The USP was designed and researched in 1989 but was finally offered to the public in 1993 after very harsh testing. Even then, the USP had some upgrades for user and safety reasons, none which were needed to address any faults or safety issues.

The P30 SPF should do great for HK. Hope that the time they are using to get "it right" turns out to be the thing. Would love to see Glock dethroned.

TAZ
04-01-14, 13:26
As much as I'd like to see an HK in the same price point at Glock, I'm not going to hold my breath. My hierarchy of needs in a new gun are reliability (good overall QC), accuracy, trigger quality and then price. There are others in there, but meet those and I'll give you a chance.

I'd love to see a SP30L with a seriously good trigger. Runs regular P30 mags and is as reliable as my P30. If that comes at the same price as a Glock; after I clean out the happy accident in my pants I'll buy 2. Keep it below $900 and I'll still buy one. Push it over a grand and I might buy one if I get a good trade.

Magic_Salad0892
04-01-14, 13:55
Make it with a manual safety and I'd consider it.

brickboy240
04-01-14, 14:27
The P-30 proved that yes...people will pay a grand for a plastic 9mm.

Don't expect Glock like prices. However, if it comes in around 800...it WILL sell...like mad.

Especially if it runs well right out of the box.

-brickboy240

Mauser KAR98K
04-01-14, 14:28
Make it with a manual safety and I'd consider it.

Yeah. this.

South
04-01-14, 15:14

Mauser KAR98K
04-01-14, 15:19
Not to take away from the thread, but if one was really wanting a HK, particularly a P30 or this, what would you do? I want to wait it out and see it this gets released at the NRA Show, but have my doubts that it will be anytime soon. Obviously this is a hard thing to judge, because no one knows when it will come out besides HK.

With HK you really can't go wrong except what version choice you want. If you can get a P30 on a good deal and you have a good purpose for it, grab it. I would hope the mags on the P30 and the SPF are interchangeable, so you could stock up on mags for both pistols. I do, however, have the same feeling as you. I want to get another P30, the long slide version, in 9mm, but I really want to see what the SPF is and wait on a few credible reviews. The p30 as it sits is not going to be phased out, so I'd wait if this was your first HK.

Now for the USP...different beast.

Coal Dragger
04-01-14, 16:09

When I first read this I laughed. Then I thought about it, and realized it is very likely true. Not funny.

Trajan
04-01-14, 17:50
The Glock-killer WILL come...and if anyone is going to build it...it will be HK.

Look through history at products that killed other products. They typically did something more. The Glock killer will come when technology advances. If you try to compete with existing products, you will fail. If you develop the next generation of technology, the market should be yours. Then again, some still use 1911s, so...

The next gen is a hard mount for MRDS. The Glock killer will come in the next decade I'm sure. Hopefully.

Redbeardsong
04-01-14, 18:30

-brickboy240

Have you tried an M&P made in the last year? The 9's and 40's have a much improved trigger with a distinct reset.

Talon167
04-01-14, 18:53
Not to take away from the thread, but if one was really wanting a HK, particularly a P30 or this, what would you do? I want to wait it out and see it this gets released at the NRA Show, but have my doubts that it will be anytime soon. Obviously this is a hard thing to judge, because no one knows when it will come out besides HK. Not to mention that there is no hard data released on it.

P30 V1 (aka Light LEM). Nice little system.

ralph
04-01-14, 21:26
P30 V1 (aka Light LEM). Nice little system.

Yeah, and when the parts from Germany show up, You'll be able to convert the LEM to the reduced pre travel LEM,(4.1 LEM?) which, I think will make it a little nicer..

montrala
04-02-14, 03:55
Even if not shown on NRA Show, SFP9 will be presented this year. It is developed for certain customer (one that still uses striker fired HK pistols) solicitation - this customer decided to give HK some time, but not all time in the world. Pistol is coming soon.

There is also grain of truth that HK engineers take their time to design mediocre trigger. German technical requirements for 9mm Police pistol very strictly require mediocre trigger system (and all HK current line of pistols follow this with exception of match trigger for USP). That is why it is so good news that HK plans to have "civilian" trigger that is made "for competition use".

trinydex
04-02-14, 14:04
why does that trigger look so far forward? seems like a really long trigger pull for a striker fired gun

Symmetry
04-02-14, 14:21
why does that trigger look so far forward? seems like a really long trigger pull for a striker fired gun

Probably for certain law enforcement agencies in different countries. Don't forget that NYPD likes DAO 12lb trigger pulls, and they field almost 40,000 uniformed officers. As Montrola said though, HK plans to offer several trigger packages so that you can get a light competition grade trigger. H&K makes guns specifically for govt/military contracts, and then they just modify their manufacturing line to fill in the civilian sales. I look forward to seeing what HK finally brings to the market.

EvgeniBG
04-02-14, 16:28
There is also grain of truth that HK engineers take their time to design mediocre trigger. German technical requirements for 9mm Police pistol very strictly require mediocre trigger system (and all HK current line of pistols follow this with exception of match trigger for USP). That is why it is so good news that HK plans to have "civilian" trigger that is made "for competition use".
They already created a great Match trigger for USP Tactical, Expert and Elite >15 years ago.
I'm "die hard" HK fan but I'm still wondering why didn't they do the same for P30 and HK45 so far - despite of all the multiple complaints about their triggers (especially of P30).
P30L with some kind of Match trigger - and no need for striker HK for me!

teutonicpolymer
04-02-14, 18:57
They already created a great Match trigger for USP Tactical, Expert and Elite >15 years ago.
I'm "die hard" HK fan but I'm still wondering why didn't they do the same for P30 and HK45 so far - despite of all the multiple complaints about their triggers (especially of P30).
P30L with some kind of Match trigger - and no need for striker HK for me!

sign me up for an hk45 expert

Tzintzuntzan
04-02-14, 20:45
If HK does this right and basically releases a PPQ with a low bore axis at $560 or even $7XX then I will buy it and 5 more when the cash flows in. Where's that Futurama meme when you need it?

dhena81
04-02-14, 23:45
What about the price and availability of magazines $50 dollar mags suck.

Judging by the pictures the slide stop is similar to a Sig's location a little further forward but pushed really far back.

crazymoose
04-03-14, 00:59
If HK does this right and basically releases a PPQ with a low bore axis at $560 or even $7XX then I will buy it and 5 more when the cash flows in. Where's that Futurama meme when you need it?

If the pictures floating around on the net are legit, the new HK will have an axis about as high as that of the PPQ. I'm also skeptical of the price points I see being discussed. This is an HK, after all.

The new HK will no doubt be accurate and reliable, but I just don't see it being able to compete with the PPQ on trigger or price, if HK's previous track record with plastic guns is any indication. I hope I'm wrong. Would be great to have another cheap, shootable option on the market.

Pilot1
04-03-14, 03:47
HK hasn't sold a pistol with a low bore axis since the P9, and P7. That is why I have not embraced their polymer designs. I do think they are fine pistols, just not for me, so I stick with the "obsolete" stuff from HK. If this pistol is more than just a striker fired P30, I may be interested.

Trajan
04-03-14, 07:49
What about the price and availability of magazines $50 dollar mags suck.

P30 mags are only like $35. That's $10 more than a Glock mag. The $50+ mags are the .45 auto ones. That's because they make less of them because we're the only market for big slow bullets.

If the pictures floating around on the net are legit, the new HK will have an axis about as high as that of the PPQ. I'm also skeptical of the price points I see being discussed. This is an HK, after all.

The new HK will no doubt be accurate and reliable, but I just don't see it being able to compete with the PPQ on trigger or price, if HK's previous track record with plastic guns is any indication. I hope I'm wrong. Would be great to have another cheap, shootable option on the market.

We'll see, but if it's even the same gun as the PPQ but with a better support network, I think it will do well. It will at least take the PPQ and P30 market. Maybe even steal some thunder from Glock and S&W. We shall see.

Glocks are $100 guns, sold for $500-550. If H&K can make a $200-300 dollar gun and sell it for $600, they will have roughly the same profit margin as the P30 being a $500 dollar gun selling for $800.

Dos Cylindros
04-03-14, 10:03
I'm very interested to see how this plays out. I have no doubt that whatever H&K puts out will be of the highest quality and I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

decodeddiesel
04-03-14, 10:20
I won't lie, as much as I want to ignore this new HK I just can't. I loved my P30, and have bitterly regretted the day I was forced to sell it. A week ago I was set on a Gen 4 G17 for a full size IDPA SSP gun, but now I'm seriously rethinking the whole thing.

brickboy240
04-03-14, 10:57
Anyone else seriously doubt it will be in the Glock's price range?

My bet is that it is in the 800 dollar range.

-brickboy240

slappy
04-03-14, 11:11
I really love the P30's ergos. If they utilize P30 magazines and keep the price somewhat reasonable I'm in. That said I don't see this thing selling under 750. It would be really nice to see it below that..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

decodeddiesel
04-03-14, 11:12
Anyone else seriously doubt it will be in the Glock's price range?

My bet is that it is in the 800 dollar range.

-brickboy240

That's where I would guess. I would bet too there's going to be a hefty premium during the first 9-12 months of sale as well.

brickboy240
04-03-14, 11:54
If it runs 100% right out of the box with no monkey biz, ala the P-30 and is typical HK build quality...it WILL sell.

-brickboy240

dhena81
04-03-14, 12:28
P30 mags are only like $35. That's $10 more than a Glock mag. The $50+ mags are the .45 auto ones. That's because they make less of them because we're the only market for big slow bullets.

I can easily fork over $35 per mag.

I wonder what the protrusion on the rear of the slide next to the rear sights is for I wonder if its some kind of sear disconnect possibly for safer re-holstering IDK.

ralph
04-03-14, 13:33
I can easily fork over $35 per mag.

I wonder what the protrusion on the rear of the slide next to the rear sights is for I wonder if its some kind of sear disconnect possibly for safer re-holstering IDK.

My understanding is those are to get a better grip on the slide when racking.. I believe Montrala has stated that there are two versions coming out, one for the German police,(in the pics) and the other for the civilian market, It's possible that the civie version may not have them...

Hwikek
04-03-14, 14:33
Rumor has it that this pistol will be shown in May at the NRA convention.

C4

I'm a bit late to this thread it seems but that certainly perks my interest. As an HK fan I will have to get at least one of these when they come out.