PDA

View Full Version : Sig P220 Combat question

Tspeis
05-27-08, 00:17
For those of you who own a 220 Combat, is the barrel hard chrome lined? Sig's website states that it is, but I just want to confirm it.

Tspeis

ToddG
05-27-08, 08:40
Every one I ever handled was. It was done to meet the 30k service life requirement that was expected as part of JCP (which has now become MHS).

markm
05-27-08, 09:04
I don't know why more pistol barrels don't have this.

My Norinco 1911 has a completely hard chomed barrel... inside and out.

ToddG
05-27-08, 09:12
I don't know why more pistol barrels don't have this.

It's an expensive and hazardous process. If something goes wrong, the entire batch of barrels gets ruined. Given the relatively low pressures and velocities of handgun ammunition, the need really isn't there. Look at how many people have Glocks with tens of thousands of rounds through them without a barrel change or need for chrome lining.

For the SIG Combat, the chrome lining was done partly to guarantee long term accuracy and partly to address corrosion issues ... I should have mentioned that in the first post, my bad. That's why the Combat barrel, unlike most SIG barrels, is Nitron finished on the outside, too.

FWIW, I've seen SIG barrels in all calibers, including 357 SIG (which probably wears pistol barrels the fastest of the major common calibers) go well past 30k rounds and maintain great accuracy. I saw one P229-357 with a documented 105,000 rounds through it shoot inch-size groups at 25yd from a machine rest, still using the original barrel.

markm
05-27-08, 10:07
Some guns do better than others in maintaining accuracy apparently.

My first Colt 1911 was a tack driver. But after 8k rounds, I could really see the accuracy drop off. It was still as accurate as a glock or something, but not the pin point pistol that I was spoiled on.

DocGKR
05-27-08, 10:57
Might not be the barrel--it could have been one of several other factors.

markm
05-27-08, 11:29
Might not be the barrel--it could have been one of several other factors.

Indeed. There are other mechanical aspects to 1911 accuracy.

But When I inquired about the barrel in conversation with one of the 1911 smiths out here (years ago), he said he was suprised that I got that much life out of the barrel.

Tspeis
05-28-08, 07:19
I saw one P229-357 with a documented 105,000 rounds through it shoot inch-size groups at 25yd from a machine rest, still using the original barrel.

Well, looks like I'll never have to worry about my P229's barrel ever being worn out! :D

Tspeis