PDA

View Full Version : Meat + Beer = Win

WillBrink
03-29-14, 18:22
Actually not new news per se, but any excuse to report on meat + beer studies. :cool:

Chemists Have Discovered Marinating Meat With Beer Can Curb Cancer (http://www.policymic.com/articles/86477/chemists-have-discovered-marinating-meat-with-beer-can-curb-cancer?utm_source=policymicFB&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=social)

Scientists have made a delicious discovery: marinating meat with beer before grilling can prevent the formation of cancer-causing compounds on the grill.

A team of European scientists in Portugal have published the results of their study in the American Chemical Society's Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, concluding that beer marinades are an excellent method of reducing the formation of cancer-causing polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) on meat while grilling. Health experts generally recommend avoiding exposure to PAHs, which form when fat drips on hot embers, because the compounds cause cancer in animals.

In what's probably their most-fun study to date, the researchers served up four batches of meat. One control group consisted of unmarinated pork steaks while three others were pork loins that had marinated for four hours in different kinds of beer — pilsner, non-alcoholic beer and a black beer. The result:

Considering an intake of 132 g of grilled pork loin (unmarinated), the uptake of 271 ng of BaP and 2057 ng of PAH8 will exceed the overall average dietary exposure of BaP (235 ng) and PAH8 (1729 ng) estimated by [European Food Safety Authority]. If grilled pork loin marinated in Black beer is consumed, the uptake of 141 ng of BaP and 1286 ng in 132 g will not exceed the overall average dietary exposure. Thus, the intake of beer-marinated meat can be a suitable mitigation strategy.

Black beer significantly outperformed pilsner and near-beer, reducing the overall number of PAHs by 53% (and probably tasting the best, too). Non-alcoholic beer reduced PAHs by 25% and pilsner just 13%. Basically, black beer is just awesome, and you should soak your meat in it.

All's not really so swell in the meat world, though. A recent study found that meat-eaters had a serious risk of cancer, with high-protein diets causing a 400% increase in cancer risk and a 75% increase in death from all other causes. It's not something to immediately panic over; that study had poor methodology and relied upon participants saying what they'd eaten in the last day. But the evidence generally suggests that eating meat isn't particularly great for you. In general, you should limit your meat consumption, whether or not it's marinated in delicious beer.

T2C
03-29-14, 18:58
So, if I eat a large steak and drink a six pack of dark beer it is beneficial to my heart? I am happy to hear this, because I have been doing this for years.

WillBrink
03-29-14, 19:14
So, if I eat a large steak and drink a six pack of dark beer it is beneficial to my heart? I am happy to hear this, because I have been doing this for years.

Not quite brother, but close! :stop:

T2C
03-29-14, 19:18
That was posted in jest.

I have a rule of thumb. One beer, I run one mile the next day, two beers, I run two miles the next day, a lot of beer and the next day will be a very long day.

Keep posting Will. Some of us older guys are actually paying attention.

WillBrink
03-29-14, 19:38
That was posted in jest.

I have a rule of thumb. One beer, I run one mile the next day, two beers, I run two miles the next day, a lot of beer and the next day will be a very long day.

Keep posting Will. Some of us older guys are actually paying attention.

I had full copy on that! ;)

As I always say, fitness, performance, health all good, but if we can't have a few beers and slice of pizza in the mix, why are we here?

SteveS
03-30-14, 10:32
It is best to have little faith in studies.

WillBrink
03-30-14, 21:38
It is best to have little faith in studies.

Vs what, voodoo? Not very useful or accurate advice.

Safetyhit
03-30-14, 21:47
Vs what, voodoo?

You mean that voodoo priest who told me I would live for three centuries if I substantially increased my daily alcohol intake while chanting to hanging chicken feet may have been mistaken?

brickboy240
03-31-14, 16:48
I am waiting for the day when beer will join eggs, fat, red meat and some carbs in the "this used to be though of as bad but it is healthy to eat this now" realm.

Hey...a guy can dream...right? LOL

-brickboy240

Doc Safari
03-31-14, 17:02
I do sincerely believe that alcohol dilutes the negative effects of fatty foods.

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

WillBrink
03-31-14, 18:09
I am waiting for the day when beer will join eggs, fat, red meat and some carbs in the "this used to be though of as bad but it is healthy to eat this now" realm.

-brickboy240

It did, a while ago in fact. Moderate alcohol (red wine in particular, but alcohol in general it appears) has health benefits. Per usual, moderate being the key term there (concept many people, especially Americans, can't seem to fathom) and does not apply to all people all the time. Web MD has some decent info:

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/features/faq-alcohol-and-your-health

If you enjoy a beer or two per day, and your weight stable, etc, then don't sweat it.

Vic303
03-31-14, 21:42
But... I like to wrap the pork tenderloin in bacon before smoking on the Weber. And somehow beer-marinated bacon loses some appeal. However, I will happily try marinating a pork tenderloin in Shiner Black before smoking it, and will report back the results if anyone wants to know.

SeriousStudent
03-31-14, 21:59
But... I like to wrap the pork tenderloin in bacon before smoking on the Weber. And somehow beer-marinated bacon loses some appeal. However, I will happily try marinating a pork tenderloin in Shiner Black before smoking it, and will report back the results if anyone wants to know.

Yes, you should do this.

Vic303
03-31-14, 22:12
You sir, have an ulterior motive!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
03-31-14, 22:15
You sir, have an ulterior motive!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I always have an ulterior motive.

WillBrink
04-01-14, 10:01

I look forward to a detailed report!

OldState
04-01-14, 16:31
Only Quadruple IPA's with an ABV of 10%+ protect against cancer. I'm going to run out to the nearest brew pub right now!! I heard they have 5 of them on tap!! :alcoholic:

Watrdawg
04-02-14, 09:48
I'm wondering what a steak marinated in Guinness or some other dark ale would be like and then after marinating putting a coffee rub on it would be like? Last year I had a grilled steak rubbed with coffee and absolutely loved it!! Somehow these two combinations sound good together.

brickboy240
04-02-14, 11:11
We regularly marinate chicken in some sort of Mexican beer before grilling and using it in fajitas.

We also marinate beef flank steaks in Mexican beers before grilling for fajitas.

(usually Carta Blanca or Negra Modelo....only yuppie gringos drink Corona...Mexicans never touch the stuff LOL)

Works very well and adds flavor.

Meat + Beer....rules! LOL

-brickboy240

SteveS
04-02-14, 13:13
What about beer pancakes???!!!~

yellowfin
04-02-14, 13:50

-brickboy240That day already happened centuries ago. St. Arnold the Brewer.

Vic303
04-14-14, 10:43
As promised...http://themonkeywranglersblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/brisket-experiment.html But it's brisket not pork this time.

hatidua
04-14-14, 19:31
Basically, black beer is just awesome

indeed

SeriousStudent
04-14-14, 22:01
As promised...http://themonkeywranglersblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/brisket-experiment.html But it's brisket not pork this time.

And it was de-lish! :cool:

Vic303
04-15-14, 14:28
It was good, wasn't it? Though I don't think the beer soak did anything for it. I think it would've been better to drink the beer than to soak meat in it...

SeriousStudent
04-15-14, 21:13
I doubt I will ever disagree with anyone who recommends drinking beer.......

Ryno12
04-15-14, 21:42
I doubt I will ever disagree with anyone who recommends drinking beer.......

You sound like a fun guy. Next time I'm in Richland Hills visiting my dad, I should look you up just so I can buy you one. ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
04-15-14, 21:48
You sound like a fun guy. Next time I'm in Richland Hills visiting my dad, I should look you up just so I can buy you one. ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

Sold!

There is actually a nice little place with 100 draft beers on tap, not far from where I work. I'm treating the minions to beer and nachos after work tomorrow.

You can't just apply the lash 24/7. Gotta dangle the carrot every now and then. ;)

Guinnessman
04-16-14, 11:44
This week I smoked some chicken thighs on the Big Green Egg that were brined with a mixture of Water, New Castle Brown Ale, Salt, and Sugar. Does that count?:cool:

Koshinn
04-16-14, 12:07
"In general, you should limit your meat consumption, whether or not it's marinated in delicious beer."

Bacon isn't meat, right?

SteveS
04-16-14, 20:30
Vs what, voodoo? Not very useful or accurate advice.maybe double blind test by some kind reputable lab ?