PDA

View Full Version : 3x magnifier question

shark31
09-13-06, 08:49
Would an A.R.M.S. Aimpoint low mount fit the 3x magnifier? I have an extra aimpoint mount laying around and was wondering if I could use it for a while to save some dough.

Boom
09-13-06, 11:39
It should the ring is 30mm which is the same as your aimpoint. You may need to get a riser so it will line up behind your aimpoint.

BrianXD
09-13-06, 16:55
The best mount there is for the 3Xmag is the Quick Flip by Samson Manufacturing. It flips out of the way when you dont need it

C4IGrant
09-14-06, 10:15
The best mount there is for the 3Xmag is the Quick Flip by Samson Manufacturing. It flips out of the way when you dont need it

Down side to that is that it is always on the weapon. I would rather keep the extra weight off my weapon until I need it. This is just my view on it.

C4

Steve
09-14-06, 11:39
Also with the sampson mount the 3x flipped off the gun its kind of an issue at time when(pieing corners) depending on which side flip you have. Not to mention it has an arms mount..... oh how i wish for a larue up grade for it......

I use on mainly on my match gun....

on my duty gun the other 3x sits in a larue mount for perimiter duties

BrianXD
09-15-06, 20:25
While I agree it does add weight, do you realy know where and when your engagements will be? The filp offer great flexibility. You may need a long shot when you don't expect to and find yourself without time to mount it

bigbore
09-15-06, 21:02
Down side to that is that it is always on the weapon. I would rather keep the extra weight off my weapon until I need it. This is just my view on it.
C4

Absolutely, get rid of it if you're not using it. I can't imagine why anyone would use the flip mount. I have the aimpoint twist mount. Off and on, quick as need be. When I'm not using it, its in my pocket, I move back, I put it on. I rarely use it - only 50+yds.

bigbore
09-15-06, 21:07
You may need a long shot when you don't expect to and find yourself without time to mount it

If there a threat sized target far enough away that you need to use the 3X, you have time to attach it. If its at a distance you should be shooting at it with a carbine, you should be able to hit it without the 3X anyhow. The 3X is just an "extra" in the tool box.

I've found the 3X is only really practical out to 300yds. Beyond that, without reference marks to aid in judging elevation and wind, it takes a lot of practice at ranges past 300yds.

BrianXD
09-16-06, 08:40
I respectfully dissagree that you have more time if your target is further-- that may, or may not be the case. The additional time it takes for your enemy's bullet to travel 300 yards versus 50 yards is miniscule. You are not fighting against distance, you are fighting against your enemy's bullets.

I find the 3X useful beyond 100 yards and Im not a fan of 5.56 beyond 300 yards anyway.

C4IGrant
09-16-06, 09:06
I respectfully dissagree that you have more time if your target is further-- that may, or may not be the case. The additional time it takes for your enemy's bullet to travel 300 yards versus 50 yards is miniscule. You are not fighting against distance, you are fighting against your enemy's bullets.

I find the 3X useful beyond 100 yards and Im not a fan of 5.56 beyond 300 yards anyway.

Remember that you can easily take a shot out to 300M with an Aimpoint or EOTech. I imagine that troups would use the 3X mostly for target identification and for precision shots.

C4