PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Gen2 Vs. Gen 3 Pmags, Modifications

Jellybean
03-30-14, 14:51
I've been getting some G3 Pmags. I don't have a ton of use with them yet, but so far I like them- no basplate lip to lock up in mag pouches, texturing, and according to magpul info they're better/faster/stronger/ and drop free more reliably than the G2's. I have two questions-

1) Would you dump your G2 Pmags for G3's? I'm considering selling off the rest of my G2s and going all in on the G3s.
Is there any reason that I'm missing that I should specifically keep the G2's around for?

2) I find the overinsertion stop on the G3's annoying. I took a file to one I had and shaved it down to near the height of one of the ribs, and now it's much more acceptable.
The question is, am I going to cause some sort of damage to the structural inegrity of the magazine by doing this?

dhena81
03-30-14, 15:29
1) I'd personally never sell mags just add more

2) Doubt it

Kain
03-30-14, 15:34
Have a few gen 3 mags myself and do like them more than the gen 2/MOE mags. I was never one to stipple a mag and the new texture is welcome. That said, i will keep my gen 2 mags because they still work and I see no reason to sell something that works. Hell, still have USGI mags, ani't selling them.

As far as point two I am going to agree that I doubt it will cause issue.

PA PATRIOT
03-30-14, 15:40
Hell I'm still running over 25 Gen 1's without issue so I would not be concerned with a Gen 3 over a Gen 2 thing. The main question is, How are your Gen 2's treating you?

levik97
03-30-14, 21:24
I have no experience with the G3 PMAGs but after what we went through here in Colorado, I would never get rid of a magazine that was still in good shape.

Levi

Bushytale
03-30-14, 21:28
You might think of them as pre-ban!

jwperry
03-30-14, 21:30
It seems to be a personal preference thing; for me, I've sold my Gen2 Black Pmags and replaced them with Gen3 Black. If/When they release FDE Gen3 mags, I'll probably sell my Gen2 FDE mags and replace them with the newer models.
I know that items that are the latest/greatest may not always be the best, but improved items are generally that for a reason and a lot of times it would be for reasons that aren't published.

The over-insertion tabs don't bother me.

Bpc9876
03-30-14, 21:44
Add mags, don't sell off perfectly good mags to get the newest shiniest doo dad. If I were you, I would just start/continue to add Gen3's to your current lineup. The over insertion tab doesn't bother me at all but I can't see how filing it down to previous specs to be harmful.

Jellybean
03-30-14, 22:53
It's got nothing to do with buying the newest bestest thing solely for the sake of having the newest bestest thing. Trust me....
It has everything to do with the fact that so far I genuineley like the G3s better.
Consideration of selling of the G2s was simply for the last few I have left that haven't been painted/stippled.
What- you think I'd sell *all* my "old" perfectly servicable mags for new ones? Perish the the thought! :laugh:
Seriously- no way I'd get caught with my pants down like that given the way things are these days.
I just wanted to confirm there wasn't any sort of compatibility or performance differences between the two (like the fiasco with teh G3 versus G4 Glocks...).

discreet
03-30-14, 23:53
LOL why on effing earth would you sell your mags to get gen 3's? If your really in such of a financial bind that you need to sell mags... to get more... then you shouldn't be buying new mags to begin with.

IMO never sell mags. Throw them in a box and keep them.

I personally use both. No issues with either. Why does it matter if it's a gen 2 or 3. If they feed right and you aren't having issues, you aren't gaining anything magical. Magazines (especially polymer mags) are disposable. Use them until they break, and replace them.

Whenever you get free money pick up USGI mags, springs, and followers for the extreme long term storage ordeal, and just rock the pmags until mags get banned or anything else.

Now for the filing of the over insertion lip... unless your using the mags over seas in heavy combat, filing a bit won't do squat imo. I doubt your mags will ever see such extreme usage that they fail. Just take care of the mags and use a dump pouch rather than slam them onto the ground repeatedly and they will be fine.

Bushytale
03-31-14, 05:18
Personally I buy mags as an investment in the future. I have obtained a decent qty. of Gen 3 30rd window Pmags to use as my go-to mags. I have Gen 1 and 2 mags in generous qty. from previous buys but have switched to Gen 3 for current use as well. I prefer the slim profile of the Gen 3 and trust Magpul (as a gtg company) that they are stronger. My Gen 1 and 2 as well as USGI Okay Ind. w/ Magpul followers go into the investment inventory. Of course I only buy them when they are at good price points.

P.S. I guess I am a mag whore!!!

Onyx Z
03-31-14, 09:55
Never sell anything that could potentially be regulated by the gubment. Unless you have a metric shit ton, then sell them during a panic for 1000% of what you paid.

markm
03-31-14, 10:34
Damn... I forgot about the New Gen Pmags. I haven't seen one in months. Mine are all older versions.

BufordTJustice
03-31-14, 10:40
I sold all my gen 2/revM pmags in the craziness after Newtown. But i replaced them on a 1:1 basis with gen 3 pmags....and threw in a few extras just for good measure.

I made a shit load of money....don't think i would sell the old ones with normal prices.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

markm
03-31-14, 10:45
I made a shit load of money....don't think i would sell the old ones with normal prices.

Good point..... and smart move.

NeoNeanderthal
03-31-14, 10:55
Who sells mags? Unless its mid panic and you have a shit load....

What would you sell them for right now? new ones are like 13 bucks. 7 dollars? Ill buy all your good condition used pmags for 7 bucks a piece.

samuse
03-31-14, 10:59
I sold all my gen 2/revM pmags in the craziness after Newtown. But i replaced them on a 1:1 basis with gen 3 pmags....and threw in a few extras just for good measure.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I did the same thing. I sold every Glock, Sig, Beretta, 1911 and AR magazine I owned during that time. All I kept was some 7 round 1911 mags and a few Colt 20 rounders. Gen 3 PMAGs had just came out and they were HOT! I had 55 of 'em...

I'm now sitting on 200+ NHMTG 30s w/magpul followers. Will never use anything else.....

3ACR_Scout
03-31-14, 21:38
The Gen 2s are great magazines that have been tested hard in combat, as well as hundreds of hours of training back stateside by lots of people. They work, and I will continue to use mine until they fail. I'm not an expert on PMAGs, having only a limited amount of training time with them (and carried but never used them in Afghanistan), but my impression is that a big part of the the Gen 3 changes was to clean up the issues with PMAGs fitting some non-Colt-based systems ("HK 416/MR556A1/M27 IAR, British SA-80, FN SCAR MK 16/16S, and others," per Magpul's website). That doesn't affect me personally, and since I know that Magpul continuously improves their materials throughout their line, I'm confident that the Gen 2s are still quality, durable magazines. I've bought a decent number of Gen 3s also, and I'll probably stick with them for new purchases, but I still plan to keep and run my Gen 2s into the ground. Most of my Gen 3s are stored at the moment, with the Gen 2s getting the most use right now. As they wear out (someday), my Gen 3s (and 4s and 5s eventually, I'm sure!) will take their place.

IMO never sell mags. Throw them in a box and keep them.
Yup, still got my 30-round Thermolds!

Dave

Ron3
03-31-14, 22:14
Gen2 Pmags are great, but as was mentioned Gen3's fit better in some rifles.

Including the Tavor. Gen2 Pmags "usually" don't drop free from a U.S. Tavor. Gen3's do.

Basically if you'd like to get more mags, spend the extra $2-$4 each and get the Gen3's. I don't read many complaints about them that's for sure.

levik97
03-31-14, 22:22
Whatever you decide to do, get as many mags as you can while you can. All it takes is one ****ed up dumbass shooting some kids and the feds will be giddy about passing "common sense legislation" that restricts magazine capacity, if not worse. I swear, that shit gives them massive erections.

Levi

Beat Trash
03-31-14, 23:14
1) I'd personally never sell mags just add more

2) Doubt it

This...

I have about 30 of the gen 2 mags still in the wrapper. The ones that are open are used either at work or for training. I have a few of the gen 3 mags and have spent enough time with them to prefer them over the gen2 mags.

I won't be selling off the gen2 mags that I own, but any future purchases will be the gen 3 mags.

buckkiller35
04-06-14, 01:43
I have both generations and like them both. I just found some 30 rounders with windows(gen2) for $12 so I picked them up. Can't beat the price.

CRAMBONE
04-06-14, 09:32
Hell, I'm still buying Gen2s since you can find them for $10 most of the time. I made the mistake of selling a bunch of Crapco AK mags, none factory Mini-14 mags and others six months before the Sandy Hook craze. I will never make that mistake again.

Zirk208
04-06-14, 14:47
I've been getting some G3 Pmags. I don't have a ton of use with them yet, but so far I like them- no basplate lip to lock up in mag pouches, texturing, and according to magpul info they're better/faster/stronger/ and drop free more reliably than the G2's. I have two questions-

1) Would you dump your G2 Pmags for G3's? I'm considering selling off the rest of my G2s and going all in on the G3s.
Is there any reason that I'm missing that I should specifically keep the G2's around for?

2) I find the overinsertion stop on the G3's annoying. I took a file to one I had and shaved it down to near the height of one of the ribs, and now it's much more acceptable.
The question is, am I going to cause some sort of damage to the structural inegrity of the magazine by doing this?

Why sell perfectly good mags to buy...perfectly good mags with a feature you don't care for?
Of course they are bigger, better, and faster due to the number 3 being bigger than the number 2, but if your gen 2's haven't failed you yet, what are you missing out on?