PDA

View Full Version : Need help with serious situation?

NYH1
03-31-14, 03:56
I need my fellow brothers and sisters here at M4Carbines help and opinions on a very serious situation that I have to figure out in the next two weeks. As many of you know New Yorkistans horrible governor andy cuomo and his cronies passed the NY Unsafe Act in the middle of the night back on January 13, 2013 banning weapons with "assault weapon features" unless they are registered by April 15, 2014.

So I don't know what to do. Do I leave my Colt (which is by far my favorite rifle and setup exactly how I want it to be) the way it is and register it? Or do I change the stock (to the one shown in the link below) to make it ban compliant which is easy and I wouldn't have to register it at all.

We bought and put one of THESE STOCKS (http://www.thordsencustoms.com) on one of our other AR's, they are Unsafe Act compliant/legal. To be honest other then looks, it's not all that bad. I just don't know what to do with my Colt. Nobody seems to know if they said they were going to start confiscating our registered "assault weapons", would they allow us to remove the "assault weapon features" so we could keep the rifles/carbines or would they just take them. Does anyone know if I could sell my Colt to my FFL and have him remove all the assault weapon features (just the stock) and then sell it back to me? I've called the NY State Police Unsafe Act hot line and I've asked a few different Troopers these questions and none of then can answer them.

So what would you guys or gals do if you were in my situation? It's my favorite carbine/rifle that I finally have setup the exact way I want it. Would you register it and hope for the best or would you just change the stock and be done with it?

Thank you, NYH1.

*** Also if this is posted in the wrong section please let me know and I'll move it.***

Iraqgunz
03-31-14, 04:14
I would never register anything. JM2CW.

Bushytale
03-31-14, 04:21

What he said!!!!!!!

R0CKETMAN
03-31-14, 04:29
So what would you guys or gals do if you were in my situation? It's my favorite carbine/rifle that I finally have setup the exact way I want it. Would you register it and hope for the best or would you just change the stock and be done with it?

I'd have the goofy stock on hand and make plans to relocate to another state.

MistWolf
03-31-14, 05:39
Vote the bastards out

GH41
03-31-14, 06:10
I would not register anything. No stamps or CC license for me either. I want to remain as small a blip on their radar as possible! GH

weez440
03-31-14, 06:11
put the goofy stock on and keep the old stock, don't register anything! it is a shame to bastardize the ar but you have to do what you got to do.

Khackee
03-31-14, 06:55
1. I would fork over the $119 just so I would not have to register ANY weapon. I will NEVER register ANY firearm.
2. Contact a moving company. Come on down to Virginia..
I feel for you folks

I think after all the legal challenges are over you folks in NY are still going to have this draconian law. Unless you put in a lot of veto proof progun legislators and a 2A friendly governor, and I dont see that happening.

Hell the country is only 1 heart attack or stroke away (think SCOTUS) from having our 2nd amendment decimated.
God help us.

sjc3081
03-31-14, 07:51
Bullet button, vampfire or MR-2. FUAC.

Airhasz
03-31-14, 08:16
Replacing the stock is only a bandaid till amputation in NY.

VT1032
03-31-14, 08:17
Vermont's a hop, skip and a jump to the right on a map. You can own anything you want except for suppressors and anyone over 16 can concealed/open carry a legally possessed weapon without a permit anywhere except schools/courts/federal buildings generally speaking. There is also a state level preemption on municipal level gun laws through the VT Sportsman's Protection Act so any gun law has to pass the state legislature where based on recent experience, it's pretty much DOA.

Moving's probably not an option, but just some food for thought.

Karinger
03-31-14, 08:32
...Or travel South to PA. While you can not hunt with an AR here, you can configure it as you like.

ColtSeavers
03-31-14, 09:26
Get and install the compliant stock, keep the old one and do not register anything.

BufordTJustice
03-31-14, 09:37

Agreed. EVER.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Koshinn
03-31-14, 09:40

Not even NFA items?

Onyx Z
03-31-14, 09:50
Not even NFA items?

What's the difference between the NFA and this "Unsafe Act"? Both are still infringements on our rights IMO.

FWIW, I don't have any NFA items, registered or unregistered.

Koshinn
03-31-14, 10:03
What's the difference between the NFA and this "Unsafe Act"? Both are still infringements on our rights IMO.

FWIW, I don't have any NFA items, registered or unregistered.

So you'd recommend not ever getting NFA items or would you recommend getting them and not registering them? For example, making an unregistered SBR or machining a drop-in auto sear?

BufordTJustice
03-31-14, 10:11
Not even NFA items?

His statement was made in context. You took it out of context.

F-Trooper05
03-31-14, 10:15
So you'd recommend not ever getting NFA items or would you recommend getting them and not registering them? For example, making an unregistered SBR or machining a drop-in auto sear?

If SBR's were legal yesterday, and illegal today, I wouldn't register shit.

P.S.
I'd rather go to jail than be seen with that stock.

Koshinn
03-31-14, 10:24
His statement was made in context. You took it out of context.

I thought about that. But he wrote "I would never register anything." The words "never" and "anything" seem to break out of any context-specific application of his sentence and seem to transform it into a universal statement.

Onyx Z made a good point, which is one that I'm also trying to make... what's the difference really between the NFA and the SAFE act in terms of registration and infringement? Yes it's Federal vs State, and yes the degrees of infringement are on an entirely different scale. But why would you be willing to register a firearm under the NFA but not under SAFE? Does it imply less trust of the State of New York than of the BATFE?

BufordTJustice
03-31-14, 10:34
I thought about that. But he wrote "I would never register anything." The words "never" and "anything" seem to break out of any context-specific application of his sentence and seem to transform it into a universal statement.

Onyx Z made a good point, which is one that I'm also trying to make... what's the difference really between the NFA and the SAFE act in terms of registration and infringement? Yes it's Federal vs State, and yes the degrees of infringement are on an entirely different scale. But why would you be willing to register a firearm under the NFA but not under SAFE? Does it imply less trust of the State of New York than of the BATFE?

His response was A RESPONSE to the original post topic.

I have a suspicion he'll be along to clarify that he wasn't advocating violating federal law here shortly. ;)

Koshinn
03-31-14, 10:40
His response was A RESPONSE to the original post topic.

I have a suspicion he'll be along to clarify that he wasn't advocating violating federal law here shortly. ;)

Would it not be hypocritical of someone who registers SBRs under the NFA to advocate having an illegal unregistered "assault weapon" under the NY SAFE act though? I'm not saying anyone is advocating this, but I'm sure a few are that aren't voicing their opinions for obvious scrutinization reasons.

IG could've simply been saying to take the rifle out of the scope of "assault weapon" and thus avoid registration legally. But regardless of his particular stance, the question in general is a good one. Why is registering for the NFA ok but registering for the NY SAFE act not ok? Both allow you to have a legal and unregistered "assault weapon" with some sacrifices; the NFA sacrifices barrel length flexibility and automatic fire, the NY SAFE act sacrifices a lot more.

NeoNeanderthal
03-31-14, 10:58
God damn that is one ugly ass, heavy looking stock. Maybe magpul will make a Commie stock-that fits the bill and is inexpensive.

jpeezy
03-31-14, 11:23
Realistically, what is the next and most logical step in registering firearms under the safe act as well as Connecticut's law? There debating the next step in enforcement as we speak in Conn, and have no idea what there going to do but they want to save face pretty bad. I would never register a firearm, since your clock is ticking until there gone IMHO. I understand the but you register NFA items argument, but you have the choice to not own NFA items and not register. Theve gone full retard in the north east, good luck with your decision, ultimately it's up to you and your family. The winters in AZ are awesome by the way.

Koshinn
03-31-14, 11:35
Realistically, what is the next and most logical step in registering firearms under the safe act as well as Connecticut's law? There debating the next step in enforcement as we speak in Conn, and have no idea what there going to do but they want to save face pretty bad. I would never register a firearm, since your clock is ticking until there gone IMHO. I understand the but you register NFA items argument, but you have the choice to not own NFA items and not register. Theve gone full retard in the north east, good luck with your decision, ultimately it's up to you and your family. The winters in AZ are awesome by the way.

And you have the choice to not own a full-featured "assault weapon" and not register as well, such as by using a stock in the OP's post and removing other "evil features." Or alternatively by converting the rifle so it no longer has a "removable" magazine by using a bullet button.

Btw, "they're" = they are, "there" is used in reference to a physical object's location.

TexasGunNut
03-31-14, 12:20
I live in a relatively free state and a semi-free country when it come to firearms. I do what I have to do to stay legal. I don't like it and oppose it in every legal way I can. I live within the rules that apply with as full a knowledge of the long term consequences as my small mind can handle.
If I was in the OP's position I would make the necessary modifications to avoid registration because you know what the next step is going to be. Don't fool yourself. Have a plan for your families future.
My roots in my region go deep as I'm sure most here can relate to. Moving, while an option to some, is a last resort in many cases. Make the best best of what you've got wherever you are; get your ass and your friends asses up and involved in changing things back and never give up.

Free Agent
03-31-14, 12:29
Registering a firearm is a slap in the face to the second amendment. There's no one particular state I care so much about that I would choose registering my firearms over moving. My opinion for you is A) move, or B) make it compliant without having to register.

Airhasz
03-31-14, 12:45
We all register handguns.

TomD
03-31-14, 12:50
No, WE don't! At least not in TX.

fixit69
03-31-14, 12:56
To everyone:

If you have filled out the little yellow form 4473, you have registered your weapon. Don't fool yourself.

Airhasz
03-31-14, 12:56
No, WE don't! At least not in TX.

Land Of The Free

Onyx Z
03-31-14, 13:03

I'd recommend you do what you want to do. As for me, I doubt I'll ever pay for something I have the right to choose to have or not have. No, I won't machine a DIAS or build a suppressor because I don't want to deal with the legal ramifications, but it is still not constitutional as far I'm concerned.

As for the OP, I wouldn't register any firearm, suppressor, etc. When you register anything item, "they" know what you have. It's only my business to know what I have, not the governments. Once it's in the gun registry database, it's there FOREVER.

T.B.
03-31-14, 13:22
Forgive my question if it is ignorant. But I honestly do not know the answer.

I have purchased new firearms (pistols and rifles) from local dealers here in WA state. Are they "registered" with the state or feds as a result of the purchase process? Or is registering something different? I also have a CPL obtained thru my local LEO.

WA state does not REQUIRE registration.

Stickman
03-31-14, 13:28

My thoughts exactly, especially in a state that is clearly coming for them.

Stickman
03-31-14, 13:28
Forgive my question if it is ignorant. But I honestly do not know the answer.

I have purchased new firearms (pistols and rifles) from local dealers here in WA state. Are they "registered" with the state or feds as a result of the purchase process? Or is registering something different? I also have a CPL obtained thru my local LEO.

WA state does not REQUIRE registration.

In theory they are not.

Leaveammoforme
03-31-14, 13:35
To the OP... You're in a tough spot. If you install the approved stock I'd assume you would not be able to possess the original stock. I'm sure NY worked in some sort of constructive intent clause. If you register they will have your info. You will wonder what day it will be when you come home and your door has been kicked & rifle has been confiscated. In all seriousness, you need to pick when your 'stand' will be. If you keep your rifle original & do not register then your 'stand' may come sooner. But, if you can lay low until this crap gets repealed then you will be good.

There are lots of un-registered full auto's out there. The people who own them chose to try and wait it out. That is now biting them in the butt. They have guns they can't do a thing with. Meanwhile, the ones that did get registered bring in ridiculous premiums. And of course, the people that payed $20k for a registered M16 dont want the law to change because they will instantly lose $18.5k. I'd like to see the law change just to hear all the people whine when they lose value. Which would prove which side of the line they are on! When Joe Blow gets pulled over with his 2 FA AK's ,that he just dug up, he gets labeled a domestic terrorist and is now a felon, Not a patriot.

If I were in your shoes ,I would pack up & move. That would still be a win for NY but at least you wouldn't have to choose a possible gun fight on side of road or losing your rights as a US citizen by going quitely.

tkoglman
03-31-14, 13:42
4473's are not registrations. Yes, the government could create a record of all firearms transfers by FFL holders, but there is no current federal requirement to register private party transfers and no requirement for private parties to provide or maintain proof of sales. Sure, if the feds ever wanted to, they could identify your purchases from an FFL, but you can buy as many firearms as you like from private parties that they don't know about or have "sold" every firearm you ever purchased through an FFL if ever asked.

YardDogOne
03-31-14, 14:17
yeah.... you know what you've got to do.

You buy the ugly stock and plan on moving real soon, sadly enough voting them out is not as easy as it sounds.

dont register it, that'll just let them know where to come get it next

Sorry Brother

ROK
03-31-14, 14:57
Tough situation OP.
You "do what you have to do" to not have to register under that law.
That stock is different I'll say. But no worse than the Stark AR grips.

STAMarine
03-31-14, 15:09
1. I would fork over the $119 just so I would not have to register ANY weapon. I will NEVER register ANY firearm.
2. Contact a moving company. Come on down to Virginia..
I feel for you folks

I think after all the legal challenges are over you folks in NY are still going to have this draconian law. Unless you put in a lot of veto proof progun legislators and a 2A friendly governor, and I dont see that happening.

Hell the country is only 1 heart attack or stroke away (think SCOTUS) from having our 2nd amendment decimated.
God help us.
We hope Virginia will stay gun friendly after the last couple of elections! Damn NOVA!

glocktogo
03-31-14, 15:37

The difference between the NFA and NY UN-SAFE is a matter of scope. You're not going to get the BATFE raiding homes in stalwart pro-gun states to seize lawfully registered Title II firearms anytime in the near future. You can't say that about CA, NY or CT state in regards to Title I firearms they don't like. The mass hysteria running rampant in libtard states like these (and DC, where you can get taken to jail for a single bullet), simply will not fly in the heartland, mountain states or deep south.

Personally, I'd NEVER live anywhere that requires any form of gun registration. It's just too easy for them to go full retard and put a hurt on you. Do I have NFA items? Yes. In the event it gets THAT bad across the entire country, I'll have plenty of time to divest myself of them AND trade off all my 4473'd Title I firearms on the open market, for ones that aren't 4473'd to me. :(

Outlander Systems
03-31-14, 16:54
I view my state as my Country.

Get out from behind enemy lines, and don't register a goddamned thing. By registering, you're essentially asking for them to come knocking when, whatever tin-pot communist ****sucker decides he wants to set a precedent, and play round up.

Tell them to choke, violently, on a sack of Richards.

Down here in the Land of the Free, the pizza may not be that great, but we damned sure make up for it in BBQ.

Plus we don't tax/bleed you dry.

----------------------------

On the other topic:

4473 only tells the receiving end that a transfer has occurred, if even that much. States maintain a registration. In the state I live in, there is no such bird, and all the 4473 firearms I owned, sank in a horrendous boating accident a few years ago.

jh225
03-31-14, 17:02
Just a quick note to anyone that says you will never register a weapon.

Anyone who resides in NY and has a handgun has already registered a weapon. Every single handgun in NY must go on the owners permits. In some places it is a paper permit for each gun, in others it is a plastic card with a list of the guns. Either way, they are already registered, so why would registering an AR be a big deal? I am not in any way condoning ANY of NY's gun laws, just posing a question for those living in NY.

walker2713
03-31-14, 17:20

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said!!!

aguila327
03-31-14, 18:06
Don't even bother to register. I'm questioning their ability to find the rifles and therir owners. Especially if they were purchased before the safe act.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

NYH1
03-31-14, 19:38
Thanks for everyone's replies, I really appreciate it.

As mentioned, all handguns have been registered in NY for as long as I can remember. We have to have a pistol permit just to own a pistol here in NY. I got pistol permit in '96 and then got it upgraded to a carry permit in '02. My permit looks like my drivers license but with all my pistols listed on the back, make, model, caliber, type (A= auto, R= revolver, O= other), serial number.

Getting back to my AR's, I found out today that if I do register them, I can always remove the "assault weapon features" and then I can un-register them whenever I want. Still not sure what to do.

We also don't think we'll even be in NY five years from now. My wife lived in Tucson from 3 to 13 then moved back here. I've lived here my whole life. I had a really good job, then I got hurt and now I'm disabled. Then the plant closed. My wife is an LPN and is going to get her RN. Once she's done we're more then likely going to leave NY. She wants Arizona, I want four seasons with snow because I plow and mow lawns, I let the machines do the work now. She says the Flagstaff area would be a great place for us to go.

Thanks, NYH1.

sol1777
03-31-14, 19:53
Don't even bother to register. I'm questioning their ability to find the rifles and therir owners. Especially if they were purchased before the safe act.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

This. From what I've seen non compliance is the norm. Cuomo passed this to look good for a presidential run. There is no way to enforce it. There are no resources in the state to enforce it. The police? Nope. Military? Nope. Unless I see UN helmets in the street I wouldnt worry. Its your gun and your choice. I believe you gotta make a stand at some point, keep bowing down to every order from the goverment just makes them try more things. It empowers them. My feelings, if your thinking about registering, then you fear them and thats not the right mindframe to be in.

chastain11
03-31-14, 19:54
WELCOME TO NORTH CAROLINA!!

Seriously, I had no idea it was/could get this bad. Damn NY sucks. I won't even visit a state like that.

rocsteady
03-31-14, 20:00
I'm of the opinion that NYers should spend our time figuring out where we all are that oppose the unSAFE act, or any assault on the 2nd Amendment, and plan on showing up in massive numbers to any sign that "they" are trying to confiscate.

I can't see this going in any other direction other than a bad one and our only defense is going to be overwhelming numbers of like-minded Americans.

Don't register. PM me to swap info.

TF82
03-31-14, 20:03
If you have more than one, I would probably register one and neuter the other. The problem with not registering the gun you like best is, you can't really use it unless you have a lot of your own land. Also, I'm not lawyer, but the text of the law seems to indicate that the feature rules don't apply at all to registered weapons. While I still fear confiscation, the point about handgun registration in NY is true. I hope I don't end up eating my words. This state sucks.

SeriousStudent
03-31-14, 21:52
Before this thread turns into yet another self-licking ice cream cone, let's just focus on the OP's issue. Which is not registering NFA firearms.

If you have helpful advice, bring it forward. If not, not.

Onyx Z
03-31-14, 21:59
Thanks for everyone's replies, I really appreciate it.

..if I do register them, I can always remove the "assault weapon features" and then I can un-register them whenever I want...

There is no such thing as "unregistering" when it comes to something like this. It will ALWAYS be in the database and they will still know what you have. Trust me, do not register anything!!!

remington79
03-31-14, 22:11
I didn't read all the posts. I would leave it alone and NOT register it.

ColtSeavers
03-31-14, 22:31
As someone that's grown up military and worked for Uncle Sam in two different career paths for 13 years now (a mere blink compared to others), there is no such thing as "Unregistering" or otherwise having your name/info permanently removed from anything. The best you can hope for is your info gets lost at some point. Something that's much more difficult to happen these days.

NYH1
03-31-14, 23:51
I'm gonna go over to my parents house this weekend and I'm going to yell at them for having me in this $h!tty state. Then I'm going to ask my dad to help me make a nice cart to put my new snowplow on so we can move it around in the garage.

Thanks again, NYH1.

Badger89
04-01-14, 01:27
There is no such thing as "unregistering" when it comes to something like this. It will ALWAYS be in the database and they will still know what you have. Trust me, do not register anything!!!
This. Database records rarely get deleted in general, and I'd guess the likelihood of them being erased in this situation to be somewhere in the neighborhood of not-a-f***ing-chance. Sure, you might be able to "unregister it", but all that really means is they will amend your record to say you used own an "assault weapon" as defined by the SAFE Act, and now you have modified that firearm to comply with the SAFE Act... You're name and info are still going to be tied to that rifle and stored in the database. One little check box is all they're going to change.

Toddler
04-01-14, 06:13
Move to Tennessee. We have no state income tax, vehicle tax is only $28 a year, and you can own both SBRs and suppressors. Beretta has recently moved down here.

Eurodriver
04-01-14, 09:46
Would it not be hypocritical of someone who registers SBRs under the NFA to advocate having an illegal unregistered "assault weapon" under the NY SAFE act though? I'm not saying anyone is advocating this, but I'm sure a few are that aren't voicing their opinions for obvious scrutinization reasons.

Bingo.

LOL

The difference between the NFA and NY UN-SAFE is a matter of scope. You're not going to get the BATFE raiding homes in stalwart pro-gun states to seize lawfully registered Title II firearms anytime in the near future.

I vehemently disagree.

BATFE. Texas. Title II firearms.

http://bad.eserver.org/issues/2004/67/prelinger_waco.gif

Idaho, too....

glocktogo
04-01-14, 10:27
Just a quick note to anyone that says you will never register a weapon.

Anyone who resides in NY and has a handgun has already registered a weapon. Every single handgun in NY must go on the owners permits. In some places it is a paper permit for each gun, in others it is a plastic card with a list of the guns. Either way, they are already registered, so why would registering an AR be a big deal? I am not in any way condoning ANY of NY's gun laws, just posing a question for those living in NY.

Which is why I would not only never live in New York, I refuse to visit as well. This does impact me, as my nephew and his fiance live in upstate NY. We visit them at his grandparents in Pittsburg, rather than travel to NYS.

I only visit free states. :(

glocktogo
04-01-14, 10:32
I vehemently disagree.

BATFE. Texas. Title II firearms.

http://bad.eserver.org/issues/2004/67/prelinger_waco.gif

Idaho, too....

And what did that get them? :(

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.607991649211778704&pid=15.1

Big A
04-01-14, 15:07
Something to think about,

Say you don't register the rifle and you get involved in a home defense shooting, what then?

Even if you use a different firearm in the shooting do you wanna take a chance the police won't get a warrant and search your house?

What if the unregistered gun gets stolen?

What if you need to send it back to the factory for repair? You would have to send it through an FFL and if it's unregistered what will happen to you?

Just some food for thought...

Enigma1
04-01-14, 15:27
I have no AR, what is an AR, I don't understand!!

Koshinn
04-01-14, 15:38
Something to think about,
What if you need to send it back to the factory for repair? You would have to send it through an FFL and if it's unregistered what will happen to you?
Just some food for thought...

You don't have to send it through an FFL for factory repairs.

Big A
04-01-14, 15:57

Ah, I thought you did. Thanks for the clarification. Fortunately I've never had to send any of my stuff in for repairs.

walkin' trails
04-01-14, 17:36
If putting on the hokey-looking stock allows you not to have to register it, that logistically that might be a good option as long as the damage can be undone if this garbage gets repealed or you move to a free state. Otherwise, to keep you legal, send it out of state if you have people there you trust. To register or not to register is a personal matter. I lived in Kalifornia when the first MSR registration/ban went into effect and the screwballs kept sending up new legislation to ban them. Fortunately I moved, first to Texas and then to another free state so CURRENTLY it is not a worry. I would not be too concerned with your door getting kicked in by police as there aren't enough of them to go around. As others have mentioned, it's the home defense situations, the house fires or home emergencies, burglaries, or car accidents to or from a friendly range that could prove unfortunate. One thing is for certain is that the gun ban mentality has to be voted out aling with pro "living document" jurists.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

MSparks909
04-01-14, 20:48
I'll chime in with the others and say don't register anything...but I'll also take it a step further and say don't change anything on the rifle either. Keep the stock as is. Do you shoot anywhere besides public ranges? If so, then I would definitely keep the rifle as is in "assault form" and not worry about it. Sort of a "finger" to NY. If you do shoot at public ranges, will they be checking to see if you have proof of registration? If you're planning on moving I would just do nothing and don't worry about it. Odds are you aren't the only one in NY that's contemplating this situation right now. Move to a free state ASAP.

3ACR_Scout
04-02-14, 09:26
While that's normally true, I shipped a lower in to BCM for service and they said they had to send it back through my FFL to return it to me. Not sure if that was BCM's policy or their local laws (or mine in VA).

Dave

NYH1
04-02-14, 23:50
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate opinions and views.

NYH1.

JusticeM4
04-03-14, 19:38
To everyone:

If you have filled out the little yellow form 4473, you have registered your weapon. Don't fool yourself.

Which is why half of my firearms are bought privately.

To the OP, just buy the fugly stock and don't register.

I know moving may not be a reasonable option, but if there is even a small possibility of getting out of NY to a free state, jump on it. I have family and friends in NY/NJ and I feel bad for them.

jwperry
04-03-14, 20:42
The day they come for them, is the day you need to look to use them.

I'm not advocating violence or am I advocating breaking the law. Those are personal choices that pixels on the internet shouldn't be able to influence or really even nudge you into a direction.

Discretion is the better part of valor; it was not discrete to open a thread on the interwebz posing the question if you should/shouldn't defy state law. They'll come for you first. =D

TF82
04-04-14, 08:27
To be clear, he never suggested that he was even considering breaking the law. His original question was whether he should register it or modify it so that, legally, he would not have to.

masakari
04-04-14, 08:34
Option C: Move to the Great State of Pennsylvania, just to your south border.
I will NEVER register my rifles, and NEVER modify them to comply with rediculous laws.

Ky Bob
04-04-14, 17:11
I would never register any gun. Sad that we live in a world full of idiots that blame the gun.

northern1
04-04-14, 17:51
Build a NY compliant lower as a designated range rifle. Something you can slap an upper on and leave the house with. What you do with any non-compliant lowers is your business. See where I'm going with this ??....

As far as registration goes.....you'd be risking more registering it than not IMO and our ounding fathers and the rest of us in this fight would be ashamed. We have to stand firm !!!

Up-State over and out

northern1
04-04-14, 17:57
And not to get off topic but sadly I couldn't even consider an AR for home defense in the political climate here

NYH1
04-04-14, 23:20
To be clear, he never suggested that he was even considering breaking the law. His original question was whether he should register it or modify it so that, legally, he would not have to.
CORRECT!

Nightvisionary
04-05-14, 04:33
What would Paul Revere do?

Koshinn
04-05-14, 05:04
What would Paul Revere do?

Kill the British?

ennbeegunny15
04-05-14, 08:50
OP, this is what I did.....I live in CA., 2 years ago CA made a run at banning bullet buttons and wanting to have permanently affixed mags. What I did was transfer them legally via ffl (rules here in ca) to my brother in who lives in a free state, fortunately the bill didn't pass. But they made a run again last year, via Leland Yee( who knew the sumbitch was a gunrunner?) and they'll keep trying, I built 3 last year, just before long gun registration here in CA, so I could beat the deadline of jan 1. If they make another run at our rifles, I'll ship em to my brother again. To those who say move, sometimes that's not an option. And vote em out? Not in this libtard state of ca. I'm moving to a free state, but I can't give up my retirement. But, on the bright side, less than 10 yrs to go. Never register your long guns....unfortunately here in ca pistols and long guns are registered....

teutonicpolymer
04-05-14, 21:33
I would move back to the USA where people don't tell you how much soda you can have

NYH1
04-10-14, 00:23
OP, this is what I did.....I live in CA., 2 years ago CA made a run at banning bullet buttons and wanting to have permanently affixed mags. What I did was transfer them legally via ffl (rules here in ca) to my brother in who lives in a free state, fortunately the bill didn't pass. But they made a run again last year, via Leland Yee( who knew the sumbitch was a gunrunner?) and they'll keep trying, I built 3 last year, just before long gun registration here in CA, so I could beat the deadline of jan 1. If they make another run at our rifles, I'll ship em to my brother again. To those who say move, sometimes that's not an option. And vote em out? Not in this libtard state of ca. I'm moving to a free state, but I can't give up my retirement. But, on the bright side, less than 10 yrs to go. Never register your long guns....unfortunately here in ca pistols and long guns are registered....
You guys have to register all your long guns or just your so called "assault rifles"?

NYH1.

NYH1
04-10-14, 00:40
I would move back to the USA where people don't tell you how much soda you can have
We can have as much soda as we want up here in Central New Yorkistan. All that crap is/was down in New Yorkistan City. We don't have to deal with their goofy @$$, meaningless, BS laws and regulations like that. Just wish we didn't have to deal with their elected officials that run this state. If we didn't have them, we wouldn't have these stupid gun laws that they're passing now.

Let NYC become part of New Jersey and let the rest of the state go FREE!

NYH1.

Iraqgunz
04-10-14, 01:26
All long guns being purchased since 01 JAN 2014 are now registered as was the case with handguns. As far as I know it pertains to all long guns.

You guys have to register all your long guns or just your so called "assault rifles"?

NYH1.

lightestfighter
04-10-14, 02:00
Here are some things to consider, based on California's ban circa 1999-2000. This ban was written after the 94AWB, so it "filled in the holes" by targeting popular workarounds like thumbhole grips, etc.

A great many registered one gun, or other small fraction of their collection, so that they would be able to shoot in public without being taken to jail. If confiscation occurs in the future, we'll have to see how bad the gov't wants them. I'd keep a close eye on the CT situation.

The vast majority of California's "evil-featured" guns remain unaccounted for to this day. Whether they are stored out of state, sold out of state, destroyed, lost, or held illicitly is known now only to their owners.

SteveS
04-10-14, 20:48
I would not register anything. No stamps or CC license for me either. I want to remain as small a blip on their radar as possible! GHYou are on the web!!!! Busted!

ruchik
04-11-14, 01:50
Just be happy you're not dealing with California's laws. The hoops you have to jump through to get a legally-owned AR are pretty ridiculous. Even the police out here are often not in agreement or clueless as to the difference between an illegal and legal AR.

California also just passed a law stating that long guns must now be registered the same way handguns are here. Used to be that before this year, long guns could be bought with any paperwork requiring to be destroyed by the CA DOJ within a certain number of days. I'm fairly certain, however, that such paperwork isn't really destroyed....

GH41
04-11-14, 06:39
You are on the web!!!! Busted!

Busted for what? I live in a free state. I can sling up an unregistered rifle and walk down Main Street with it if I want! Probably not a good idea but NOT illegal. GH

c3006
04-11-14, 07:53
Change the stock,play there little game! I don't know if it will do any good to move I see it all coming down the road on a federal level for all of us at which time we will find out who's all talk and who's not.

SteveS
04-14-14, 15:30
It seems eventually we will have to stand up to the scum in government and uniform, lest they walk over the freedoms our forefathers fought for.

henschman
04-14-14, 16:25
I say don't register sh!t... keep it ready for use against any treasonous bastard who tries to enforce or prosecute any of that BS. There needs to be a consequence for crossing this line, and somebody needs to be made an example of.