PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Sights

TacDoc
09-13-06, 09:10
Hey Shotgun fans! I'm new to shotguns. Actually I got my first one yesterday. Its a Remington 870 Synthetic 18" 12 gauge. Nice shotgun and cheap to shoot :D

My concern is with the front TINY sight. I know shotguns are far from a precision gun but I think the minuscule front sight this gun has affect pointability.

What you guys use? Any comments on the Wilson Combat Ghost Rings?

I'm kind of a "do-it-myself uncertified garage" armorer, so I'll appreciate any input on installation the different available sight systems.

Thanks in advance

Boom
09-13-06, 14:16
I love my Wilson Ghost rings but they are a pain in the butt to install correctly I would just send it to Wilson for the install if you go that route.

MMC makes a real easy bolt on set. You do have to drill and tap the receiver but thats not overly hard to do. The front is a band that bolts in place.

TOrrock
09-13-06, 16:22
I have the factory rifle sights on my Remington.....I've found that while they do aid in "precision" shooting at distances with slugs, they tend to handicap me with closer targets using shot.....I'd prefer a good ghost ring set up myself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Sling%20Know%20How/Remington%20M870%20Police/RemingtonM870Police004.jpg

TacDoc
09-13-06, 18:37
I love my Wilson Ghost rings but they are a pain in the butt to install correctly I would just send it to Wilson for the install if you go that route.

What exactly is a PITA to install? Have to drill the receiver? Epoxy? Please give some details on the subject. At the Wilsons webpage they stated: "easy to install, instructions included" :confused:

Boom
09-13-06, 19:56
What exactly is a PITA to install? Have to drill the receiver? Epoxy? Please give some details on the subject. At the Wilsons webpage they stated: "easy to install, instructions included" :confused:

The rear is easy if you have the jig they sell. The front has to be installed over the front bead sight with epoxy and then you have to drill a hole thru the bead base and install the role pin. Its a little tricky unless you have a drill press then not so bad. I had a little bit of a hard time with my press as its not setup for working on metal just wood.

TacDoc
09-14-06, 08:33
Actually I'm more interested in the front sight as my concern is pointability. Any experiences with the XS Big Dot Tritium front sights?

justbill
09-14-06, 17:44
I'm about 75% satisfied with the steel bead on my 870, but am considering either a Big Dot or maybe even a Bushnell Holosight as funds allow after a couple other acquisitions.

nickdrak
09-14-06, 18:58
You may also want to check out the MMC shotgun sights here: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=9203&s=

Nitrox
09-16-06, 00:37

MMC makes a real easy bolt on set. You do have to drill and tap the receiver but thats not overly hard to do. The front is a band that bolts in place.

I'll echo this. A slipshod install will have the sites pulling out of the receiver and making a serious mess of your shot gun. I witnessed recently a set of ghost rings pull out of a Benelli M1 when installed incorrectly by a "gun smith."

Send the gun to a pro.

TacDoc
10-04-06, 15:53
OK, I did it! Installed the Wilson's ghost ring sights in my shotgun. The rear sight was a piece of cake as I have a drill press and ordered the Brownells taps (this taps are great, far better than the Craftman set I used to thread holes in bike frames).

The front sight was a little tricky because the epoxy resin included was crap. I had to buy a good metal to metal epoxy resin to install this sight. Although it is rock solid, I want to install the roll pin (just to have peace of mind). This roll pin was not included in the set. I emailed Wilson and they replyed that the pin was not included because nobody installed it. They also tell that they will ship me one for free but that was 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting.

So, I was thinking in the AR bolt catch roll pin. Is this the size used by WC to stalk the front sight? If yes, what drill bit size is recommended for this job? Any input will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

Akoni
10-16-06, 16:38
I have the factory rifle sights on my Remington.....I've found that while they do aid in "precision" shooting at distances with slugs, they tend to handicap me with closer targets using shot.....I'd prefer a good ghost ring set up myself.

I think I'll go with a set of pistol/rifle sights on my next shotgun. I'll get them set up so that they offer a comparable sight picture to my pistols. I don't find pistol sights slow on my handguns. The ghost ring sights I'm currently using (LPA) are fast but not very precise when they need to be.