PDA

View Full Version : 8.0 earthquake off coast of Chile, tsunami warning issued.

Belmont31R
04-01-14, 19:52
AP tweet: MORE: Magnitude-8.0 quake hits northern Chile, tsunami alert issued for Latin America's Pacific coast: http://t.co/8LTRoWtX1U

Eurodriver
04-01-14, 19:57
This is becoming a routine. Chile gets beat up by Earthquakes almost annually, and not little ones. Record breaking earthquakes. Ridiculous.

Belmont31R
04-01-14, 20:03
This is becoming a routine. Chile gets beat up by Earthquakes almost annually, and not little ones. Record breaking earthquakes. Ridiculous.

Yep. Tsunami watch now up to Washington State in the US.

Belmont31R
04-01-14, 20:07
Revised to 8.2

Grand58742
04-01-14, 20:18
USGS data:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usc000nzvd#summary

Belmont31R
04-01-14, 20:28
CNN reporter in Pisagua Chile reporting 18m wave.

Eta prob meant to put a decimal in there to be 1.8m. Nothing else suggests LARGE waves like 18m.

ABNAK
04-01-14, 22:23
Given that Chile is southeast of the U.S. Pacific coast how is there a tsunami threat here? They radiate outward, right? The U.S. Pacific coast would be shielded by the northern coast of South America, much of Central America and certainly the northern Mexico Pacific coast (?). At most it would be a wave parallel to the coast.

Leaveammoforme
04-01-14, 22:53
CNN reporter in Pisagua Chile reporting 18m wave.

Eta prob meant to put a decimal in there to be 1.8m. Nothing else suggests LARGE waves like 18m.

I think you're right. I heard 5.5'ish ft wave. Also heard Alaska was on 'alert'. I'm not a gynecologist or anything but wouldn't a 6 ft wave dissipate before hitting Alaska?

ETA- never mind I'm dumb and my globe was up side down. Just realized it could come from north of alaska & not just south.

Eurodriver
04-02-14, 03:54
Given that Chile is southeast of the U.S. Pacific coast how is there a tsunami threat here? They radiate outward, right? The U.S. Pacific coast would be shielded by the northern coast of South America, much of Central America and certainly the northern Mexico Pacific coast (?). At most it would be a wave parallel to the coast.

You're assuming that the epicenter was directly on the coast, when usually and in this case, it is far off shore. They can also cause underwater landslides well beyond the "protected" area "shielded" by S.A.

Also it has to do with the way water reacts which I won't even get into because I'm not a "hydrologist" (is that a thing?)

montanadave
04-02-14, 07:13
You're assuming that the epicenter was directly on the coast, when usually and in this case, it is far off shore. They can also cause underwater landslides well beyond the "protected" area "shielded" by S.A.

Also it has to do with the way water reacts which I won't even get into because I'm not a "hydrologist" (is that a thing?)

As an ex-geologist who used to be married to a hydrologist who had a gynecologist, I'm gonna stay out of it. :laugh:

3 AE
04-02-14, 18:22
As an ex-geologist who used to be married to a hydrologist who had a gynecologist, I'm gonna stay out of it. :laugh:

I need a psychologist after all this!

Belmont31R
04-02-14, 22:32
BREAKING: USGS says powerful 7.8-magnitude aftershock rocks Chile's northern coast, day after 8.2 quake.

ABNAK
04-02-14, 22:39
BREAKING: USGS says powerful 7.8-magnitude aftershock rocks Chile's northern coast, day after 8.2 quake.

If this was Barfcom someone would be posting that silly Ron Paul "It's Happening!" gif.

Belmont31R
04-02-14, 22:41
Chile orders preventive evacuation of northern coastline http://t.co/Y1o4BRvEXg

Leaveammoforme
04-02-14, 22:42

Dang russian paleontologists with their earthquake gun.

Belmont31R
04-02-14, 23:16
Chile Emergency Office and navy issue tsunami alert, order evacuation of low-lying areas on northern coast: http://t.co/N5WT4jVEN4

HES
04-02-14, 23:32
Is it me or does it seem like earthquake activity is picking up in the western hemisphere in the last 6 months?