PDA

View Full Version : Fix frame modification

jahwarrior1423
04-02-14, 11:46
I think I modified my trigger guard too much. I sanded it down to get a higher support hand and now I am afraid that I sanded too much to the point flexing may be an issue. Is there a way that I can fix the issue?...Can I add JB Weld to the area?

Wish I knew how to post pictures from my phone

walkin' trails
04-02-14, 12:31
A Glock? If you're concerned, call Robar or Bowie Tactical and see if they can build it back up. They 're-shape trigger guards as some of their packages

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

jahwarrior1423
04-02-14, 12:37
Yes. A G19. I am concerned. I won't know if it is a issue unless I see the gun shooting in slow motion.

Could someone tell me how to post pictures via IPhone?

TXBK
04-02-14, 12:46
Do you have the Tapatalk App? I believe that is what most people use from their phones.

jahwarrior1423
04-02-14, 19:02
The trigger guard has very little movement when I push down on the area I sanded. But still is a concern to me...all I can do right now is take the gun out tomorrow and start running it through its paces. I figure a couple hundred rounds will result in a issue if there is one but I am also concerned about the future and the fatigue the area might result in over the usage. I made a call to Glock and figured out that it'll be cheaper to grow through Glock rather than another company to fix my mishap.

ruchik
04-02-14, 22:05
It's an easy fix. Get yourself some Devcon plastic welder, black. It's the stuff some use for grip reductions on Glock and M&P's. Mix it up, dab some on there, sand it back down, and it can withstand 3500 PSI.

decodeddiesel
04-02-14, 22:35
It's an easy fix. Get yourself some Devcon plastic welder, black. It's the stuff some use for grip reductions on Glock and M&P's. Mix it up, dab some on there, sand it back down, and it can withstand 3500 PSI.

That's probably the best fix. I would add to scuff the adhesion surface with 80 grit, and thoroughly degrease the entire frame before applying the Devcon.

In all honesty though, that is a relatively low stress area of a frame. You're probably fine. I have undercut and stippled a few M&Ps, and one Glock. I usually cut them pretty high under the trigger guard and have never seen nor heard of any problems. My daily carry M&P9C is very undercut, and I have had about 5000 trouble free rounds through the pistol since the modification. The thermoset polymer they use in these things has a really high strength and toughness.

jahwarrior1423
04-03-14, 09:33
I sure hope so. I took a risk sanding the trigger guard in that area to get a little higher grip and now I'm worried about it. I don't think I'll have a issue...I will be taking it out tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know about Devcon...I'll look into that if I have a issue.

jahwarrior1423
04-06-14, 14:42

My handgun functioned just as I hoped.

Texaspoff
04-06-14, 21:22
The undercut looks fine, but the second cuts looks a bit thin for my tastes. I have personally not seen a Glock fail from the trigger guard area being cut to thin, but I err on the side of caution when I do my cuts. The trigger guard is actually exposed to quite a bit of the recoil during a shot.

Here is a slow motion video of G19, notice how much the glocks frame flexes during recoil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fr5ccyriJI

The polymer in the Glock is a bit different from the polymer used in the M&P and other various Poly framed pistols. Other manufacturers reinforce their polymer with an additive of some type, glass etc. etc. Glock's polymer isn't reinforced with any additives. The M&P also has a sub frame, which runs between the front and rear frames rails, to add rigidity to the frame. Glocks do not have any sub frames built in. Glocks polymer composition/recipe, lack of reinforcement additive and no sub frame are the reasons why glock pistols are bigger than other manufactures pistols in the same calibers.

Put simply Glock has to use more of their polymer to have the same strength as say an M&P or an XD in the same caliber. This is why other manufacturers frames are smaller than a comparable glock.

If you have a Glock and an M&P or an XD try this test, take your frames no magazine, look down the mag well. with your fingers, squeeze the side panels near the mag well opening of the glock, and do the same on the other pistol. Which one flexes more and is easier to squeeze? The polymer on both pistols is very close to the same thickness in this area. That flexing is why glock has to have more polymer in specific areas, to prevent flexing in those area.

TXPO

jahwarrior1423
04-06-14, 22:28
That's what I am afraid of. I went through 200rds on Friday and "tested" my weapon for any issue. I went through a set of drills and tried limp wristing...no issues at all. Just worried there could be a issue in the future.

moonshot
04-07-14, 08:05

Could this stuff be used to repair a cracked polymer frame?