PDA

View Full Version : Scope options for a PTR-91 308 cal rifle

pat701
04-02-14, 16:39
I had a 3X9 Leupold VX-1 on my PTR, i ended up giving the Leupold to my son. I want to scope out my PTR again for range/bench rest work 100, 200,& 300yrds. I have a B-squared mount that i used, it worked well. The PTR-91 being 308cal it has major recoil. I would like to spend NO MORE then $400 on a scope. I also would like to get higher magnification then 3X9, maybe 4X12 this time. I will use it for range work only. My concerns are holding a zero with strong recoil, and long eye relief so i don't get a black eye. I would either go with a Mil-dot or Wide Duplex reticle. What do you suggest i look at? I could get the Leupold VX-1 in 4X12 in my price range, but i would like to up grade to the VX-2. Again my max price is $400. I know with glass you get what you pay for, but i am 60yrs old with bad eyes. I want to buy NIB, not used. Help me please, point me in the right direction of what i should conceder.

Kain
04-02-14, 17:01
Have you considered a fixed power scope? First thought that came to mind was a SWFA SS. Fits price range and many consider it adequate for the distances you are shooting at. If you need more than 10X magnification, they do make a 16 power scope.