PDA

View Full Version : Are You What You Wanted To Be When You Grew Up...?

SteyrAUG
04-03-14, 02:37
At around 12 every male get's some idealized goal of what they want to do with their life. Beyond bang hot chicks, owning 12 sports cars and having a bank account that permits most of your wants and needs...at the core of it we wanted to do something "cool or interesting" with our life even if it doesn't come with a fantasy salary.

For me, I'm not sure if it was too much "Black Sheep Squadron" or a host of other influences but I really wanted to be an officer in the military one day. Specifically a Major. I wanted oak leaves bad, didn't want to be a Lt. Colonel, Colonel or even a General. Didn't matter if it was the Marine Corps, Army or Air Force...I just wanted oak leaves.

Thankfully when the day came that I started talking to recruiters my Grandfather saved my ass and talked me out of it. I could have probably gone OCS and perhaps even done well but as he pointed out I'm not a morning person and there is no snooze alarm in basic training and I have a problem with unconditional authority. I have no problem doing something if there is a reason, and I have a pathological need to have the purpose explained to me. In basic training they don't explain why you are digging holes, you just dig them.

Maybe I'd have come though ok, maybe I'd have been a walking disaster...who knows. At least I didn't want to be an astronaut, even then I knew that shit was too dangerous for my comfort zone.

So what did you want to be and how close did you get?

Endur
04-03-14, 02:53
Be an Infantryman and then a U.S. Marshal; did one and working towards the other.

montanadave
04-03-14, 05:18
I found William Nolen's book The Making of a Surgeon at the library when I was a kid and loved it. Thought I wanted to be a doctor for sure. Years later, when I did work in health care and had an opportunity to see firsthand what a lot of physicians' workload and life really looked like, I was glad I dodged the bullet.

BIGUGLY
04-03-14, 06:16
Mine was military or law enforcement. Met my what would become my wife before I went to a recruiter. My cousin had me talked into the Marines. I ended up not going after meeting my wife and focused on law enforcement. Now after doing this for 8 years I'm not sure what I would do with myself if I wasn't doing the whole cop thing. Now saying that my 5 year old wants to be like dad. I subtly discourage it but I would still be damn proud of him if he did.

duece71
04-03-14, 06:20
I got started in flying at a young age with the help of a wealthy uncle who owned several small light aircraft. He saw flying as a hobby but got me hooked. I always wanted to be with a major airline but have settled into a great job flying corporate jet sized aircraft with a major player (the largest) in the fairly young concept of "fractional ownership" (read timeshare for aircraft). I have enjoyed every step of the journey, even though at times it required quite an effort. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing except I would try harder to fly in the military. Some of the places I have been to with my job, I would have never gone to if I had not been a pilot.

Plumber237
04-03-14, 06:21
Nope, but then again I don't think I could make that great of a living being a ghostbuster either...it's a tough profession to get into :p

Hmac
04-03-14, 07:52
I found William Nolen's book The Making of a Surgeon at the library when I was a kid and loved it. Thought I wanted to be a doctor for sure. Years later, when I did work in health care and had an opportunity to see firsthand what a lot of physicians' workload and life really looked like, I was glad I dodged the bullet.

I read the same book. Became a surgeon. It has turned to be even more gratifying than I anticipated. I can't imagine what I could have done with my life that would have made it better.

_Stormin_
04-03-14, 07:54
I hoped to one day be a Senator, to actively push for term limits, and to actually do my job and go home. It's something that I have wanted to do since I first learned about government as a kid. I work in finance now, so I guess I am heading in the right direction. :D

I couldn't have been an attorney. To many issues with morality in defending guilty people and to little pay working for the state. :)

montanadave
04-03-14, 08:02
I read the same book. Became a surgeon. It has turned to be even more gratifying than I anticipated. I can't imagine what I could have done with my life that would have made it better.

I hope you didn't interpret my comment as a knock on the medical profession, as that was not my intent. Some of the folks I most admire are docs. My observations were based upon learning about my own "internal wiring," witnessing the reality of the profession, and realizing my temperament, ability to cope with stress, and, quite honestly, willingness to put in the hours and make the sacrifices.

I wasn't cut out to be a doctor but I'm damn thankful for those that are and excel in their profession. I'm glad to hear you made the right call. We need more physicians that really have a calling to serve as a caregiver and love their work.

C4IGrant
04-03-14, 08:21
As a kid I was pretty free spirited with no direction. HS comprised of playing sports, chasing girls and drinking too many beers. College was the same. Almost nothing interested me (academically). Bored and disinterested in school, a wise man (my father) advised me to join the Navy.

I thank GOD everyday for that push from my Father.

C4

Koshinn
04-03-14, 08:25
To many issues with morality in defending guilty people

The thing about being a public defender is that you defend both the "guilty" and "innocent". Not everyone who's charged actually committed the crime, but you have to take the good with the bad, as everyone deserves a day in court.

The way most public defenders justify winning with a client they know should be guilty is by taking a 50,000 ft view of the legal system and society as a whole rather than on an individual basis. It's how we want our society to be; the presumption of innocence until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a fair trial by a jury of your peers. Being a judge, public defender, or prosecutor is simply playing a role in the system, a cog in the process that we call justice.

But I hear you on how little pay lawyers get working for the government.

Hmac
04-03-14, 08:25
I hope you didn't interpret my comment as a knock on the medical profession, as that was not my intent.

I certainly did not interpret it that way. It turned out to be the right choice for me, but it's not for everyone.

signal4l
04-03-14, 09:19
I always wanted to be a cop. I have a family member that is the stereotypical, unhappy, divorced (2x), bitter, retired cop. I decided that I didnt want to be like him. I graduated college, abandoned the police thing and worked for an insurance company for 5 years. I hated it. Every day was the same. The paperwork was never ending and I didnt have much fun during my work day. I would hear sirens outside the office and wish I followed through on my plan. I started asking my co workers for advice. Many of them were in my position years earlier, entered the insurance field because the jobs were easy to get, and were now too old, or unwilling to take the chance and try another profession.

I am grateful for the 5, largely unhappy, years I spent handling claims. I figured out what I didnt want to do and developed an appreciation for my current job.

I got hired at age 26 with a local PD and have been a cop for 15 years. I am very glad I made the switch. I havn't gotten divorced, Im not a drunk and I dont think everyone is an asshole. Some of my days as a cop suck. Most are decent. I usually have a great time at work and am a much happier person now than I would have been if I spent my life in a cubicle.

My advice is to roll the dice. It worked out for me

Alex V
04-03-14, 09:26
I got started in flying at a young age with the help of a wealthy uncle who owned several small light aircraft. He saw flying as a hobby but got me hooked. I always wanted to be with a major airline but have settled into a great job flying corporate jet sized aircraft with a major player (the largest) in the fairly young concept of "fractional ownership" (read timeshare for aircraft). I have enjoyed every step of the journey, even though at times it required quite an effort. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing except I would try harder to fly in the military. Some of the places I have been to with my job, I would have never gone to if I had not been a pilot.

Always wanted to be an airline pilot as well... Never happened... :(

I did take lessons after HS and got my Pvt and IFR rating, but I have not flown in 4 years, it gets expensive :( Really sad about it.

I am enjoying being an Architect but I would love to have the expendable funds to go flying on the weekends.

sandman99and9
04-03-14, 09:37
My uncle was career Air Force and I spent a couple of summers up at Loring AFB in upstate Maine and he showed me the B52's and That was where I first saw the Thunderbirds. I knew I was going to become a fighter pilot one day, then around 14-15 I found out I needed glasses for nearsightedness and there went my dreams to be a fighter pilot. Later in H.S. I was in MCJROTC and thought that I was going to become a badass mean Marine but put it off after high school. Florida weather, beaches, and girls made me quickly forget about joining the military :) I ended up joining in the mid 90's (Army) but did not stay in as long as I thought I would (career)

I am not doing what I thought I would be but I have 3 awesome red headed boys that make me very proud and that is enough for me.

S.M.

markm
04-03-14, 09:41
Shit. I don't have any idea what I want to be if I ever grow up. My job just enables me to have a roof over my head and shoot and reload. I hope to figure out what I want to do some day.

C4IGrant
04-03-14, 09:43
Shit. I don't have any idea what I want to be if I ever grow up. My job just enables me to have a roof over my head and shoot and reload. I hope to figure out what I want to do some day.

LOL, I think this is the norm for a lot of people. They found something that they neither hate or love, but it pays the bills and lets them explore their hobbies/interests.

C4

GTF425
04-03-14, 10:18
Yes, but I don't know what I'm going to do next. Didn't get that far in the planning process.

Hmac
04-03-14, 10:25
LOL, I think this is the norm for a lot of people. They found something that they neither hate or love, but it pays the bills and lets them explore their hobbies/interests.

“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.”

― Henry David Thoreau

My brother was a systems analyst for the state and hated it for almost 10 years. He went to medical school at age 46.

signal4l
04-03-14, 10:26
My uncle was career Air Force and I spent a couple of summers up at Loring AFB in upstate Maine and he showed me the B52's and That was where I first saw the Thunderbirds. I knew I was going to become a fighter pilot one day, then around 14-15 I found out I needed glasses for nearsightedness and there went my dreams to be a fighter pilot. Later in H.S. I was in MCJROTC and thought that I was going to become a badass mean Marine but put it off after high school. Florida weather, beaches, and girls made me quickly forget about joining the military :) I ended up joining in the mid 90's (Army) but did not stay in as long as I thought I would (career)

I am not doing what I thought I would be but I have 3 awesome red headed boys that make me very proud and that is enough for me.

S.M.

The best promotion I ever got was to the rand of "DAD". I like my job but family is more important

austinN4
04-03-14, 10:32
Are You What You Wanted To Be When You Grew Up...?
When I was young I never wanted to be an old man, but now I am. But what I did want was to be self-sufficient and financially secure, and I am.

C4IGrant
04-03-14, 10:34
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.”

― Henry David Thoreau

True I think. Good jobs that pay the bills seem to attract the female of the species. Next comes a mortgage and children. At this point, the male of the species tends to feel "trapped" in their ho-hum job (as it feeds, clothes and covers his offspring).

(Tangent moment)

This is why debt is so bad. You are slave to lender which means you are stuck in that job. Owing no man anything opens up so many doors and freedoms that one cannot comprehend them all. Want to work as a Cowboy on a ranch? Cool. Want to work at a gun shop? You can do that as well.

C4

Doc Safari
04-03-14, 10:40
I went to college and studied general business. I always wanted to go into purchasing and had a 25+ year career in that. I also worked in law enforcement for just a hair under 8 years.

Purchasing is a job that whenever something goes wrong, everybody blames purchasing. I worked in Aerospace, government, and wholesale, and it was always the same. Glad I did it but it wouldn't be my first choice now.

Right now I run a ranch I inherited. Other than the peace and quiet I miss the convenience of the city.

If I had it to do over again I think I'd have pursued a more dedicated career in law enforcement, perhaps to advance to being an investigator or something.

J-Dub
04-03-14, 11:42
No. Im not a high school football coach. No money in it, takes up primo hunting season, didn't want to move around, and wont put up with the politics/NCLB bullshit.

Onyx Z
04-03-14, 11:51
Back in high school, I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up. A wise man I call Dad tried to pressure me to join the Navy and see the world. I never did, but I sure with I could go back in time. I'd join the military in a heartbeat... I REALLY wish I could have done some kind of special forces. But, I had the vision of meeting a super hot blonde in college, marrying, having kids, etc. The typical American Dream, which was more important to me back then.

Well none of that has happened yet, so here I am stuck in an office staring at a computer screen in a job I hate. Now that I'm almost 30, I have the goal of opening my own business sometime in the near future. I would love to work in the small arms industry either designing, building, or selling combat arms and accessories. Something similar to DD, Noveske, BCM, etc. I would also like to join the FBI, US Marshall's, Texas Rangers, etc., but none of the federal agencies are taking applications for agents.

Oh, and owning a few storage building lot. Those things are cash cows! :dirol:

OldState
04-03-14, 12:09
At 18 I was 100% sure I would finish ROTC, serve my time and go to law school. Talked out of ROTC by my Marine officer USNA grad cousin (who ended up staying in for 20 years!!!)

Ended up brewing beer at a small brewery/brewpub for 3 1/2 years after college. Was an awesome job but barely paid the bills.

I always had a talent explaining complicated things in a simple way and I've been told all my life that I'm extremely convincing. Ended up working in the medical equipment industry selling molecular diagnostics and briefly surgical devices.

I'm very good at my job, but I think I would have been a better lawyer.

tb-av
04-03-14, 12:19
.... but as he pointed out I'm not a morning person and there is no snooze alarm in basic training and I have a problem with unconditional authority. I have no problem doing something if there is a reason, and I have a pathological need to have the purpose explained to me. In basic training they don't explain why you are digging holes, you just dig them.

I swear I think you and I must be brothers from another mother...... I don't know if I ever really had a plan though.... maybe if I had one dream it would have been to be recording engineer. Working in a recording studio. That didn't happen and so I have apparently decided to simply not grow up instead. I suppose the Military would have taken care of that latter issue though.... even if they didn't explain why.

Pi3
04-03-14, 12:23
Always wanted to be an airline pilot as well... Never happened... :(

I did take lessons after HS and got my Pvt and IFR rating, but I have not flown in 4 years, it gets expensive :( Really sad about it.

I am enjoying being an Architect but I would love to have the expendable funds to go flying on the weekends.

I debated between being an architect, an artist, a pilot or a scientist. I ended up being an architect. If I had it to do over again I would have gone the pilot route.

SilverBullet432
04-03-14, 12:35
Wanted to be an astronaut, then mechanical engineer, now i settled with an automation degree. Haha.

Packman73
04-03-14, 12:37
I just wanted to be happy/content. And I am.

montanadave
04-03-14, 13:25
I just wanted to be happy/content. And I am.

Nothing like figuring it out early on.

Koshinn
04-03-14, 13:41
I honestly never knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. I still don't know. But I'm going to try my hand at civilian life.

CRAMBONE
04-03-14, 15:44
Ever since I can remember I wanted to be a Marine and have a set of dress blues. Got that done. Would have done a lot of it different, but at least I did it. I would have told my parents to shove college and went straight out of high school, probably could have been in the push up the highway in 03. That's the biggest regret of my life. It's not every day you get to invade a country. I should have pushed harder on the sniper indoc. Second biggest regret of my life is not being an 0317. Other than that I'm knocking on thirty and still alive, didn't think that would happen.

And no I'm not a space shuttle door gunner, yet.

Outlander Systems
04-03-14, 16:51
I didn't care what it was, I wanted to work outdoors.

Now I'm a Land Surveyor.

For a twist of irony, I told the recruiter that, "I'd be "goddamned" if I'm gonna draw maps for a living. I wanna blow shit up and jump out of helicopters."

For an extra twist, I told my 10th Grade Geometry teacher that, "I'm never going to use this crap. If a job made me do this, I just wouldn't have it".

If I was half as smart as I thought I was as a teenager, I'd have a Nobel Prize.

Life's a trip.

All that kicking and screaming and I wouldn't work any other job on the planet for any sum of money. I ****ing love what I do.

Leaveammoforme
04-03-14, 17:06
My dad had a taxidermy shop while I was growing up. I would spend time after school & saturdays at his shop. We would have state & federal game wardens come by & just hang out regularly. They would tell the stories of how the 'ninja'ed' up on folks doing dumb things. I knew from about 12 years old that I wanted to be a warden. Long story short God said 'Aint happening'. I would not have met my wife & my son would not be here had I pursued the cause. My son is still a few years from being grown, so maybe one day I'll chase the dream again.

ColtSeavers
04-03-14, 17:09
Half way.

I got the wife I've always wanted and the children I've always wanted, but never did become an Air Force fighter pilot.

No complaints though.

JusticeM4
04-03-14, 18:51
I've always wanted to be a Pilot. In the civilian world that can be expensive to get your license. I'm in my early 30's and still would like to get my license in a few years.

In the meantime I've been a homeowner and small business owner, and college graduate so things are not doing so bad...

Magic_Salad0892
04-03-14, 19:30
I wanted to join the military (Marines) but I broke my sternum, and several ribs, and got denied a medical waiver for it. I kick myself for getting into that car every day.

3 AE
04-03-14, 19:58
My Dad would take me to his job, a tugboat engineer at the time, a couple of times a year when I was seven and eight years old. The tug would go out in Lake Michigan and bring in the big "ore boats". He would have me doing the engine room rounds. I wish there was picture of me doing that. A little kid with the clipboard writing down the pressures and temps on various systems. If the gage was too high, he would pick me up so I could read it. God how I loved doing that. Later on joined the Sea Scouts and then went to a maritime academy in Traverse City, MI. That led to a lifelong career as an engineer in the merchant marines. I'm fourth generation to go to sea. 35+ years later, I'm still doing it. Downside was being away from family for months on end. Upside was the people I've met and the places I've been to around the world. Then being home for months to enjoy my life with my wife. It gets tougher to leave now and I don't have the enthusiasm I had when I was younger. Still, I don't think I could do anything else if I was trying to work ashore. No regrets as far as the job choice goes.

Jellybean
04-03-14, 22:52

― Henry David Thoreau

Ain't that the truth.

Back in high school, I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up. A wise man I call Dad tried to pressure me to join the Navy and see the world. I never did, but I sure with I could go back in time. I'd join the military in a heartbeat... I REALLY wish I could have done some kind of special forces. But, I had the vision of meeting a super hot blonde in college, marrying, having kids, etc. The typical American Dream, which was more important to me back then.

Well none of that has happened yet, so here I am stuck in an office staring at a computer screen in a job I hate. Now that I'm almost 30, I have the goal of opening my own business sometime in the near future. I would love to work in the small arms industry either designing, building, or selling combat arms and accessories. Something similar to DD, Noveske, BCM, etc. I would also like to join the FBI, US Marshall's, Texas Rangers, etc., but none of the federal agencies are taking applications for agents.

Oh, and owning a few storage building lot. Those things are cash cows! :dirol:

Wow- you must be my clone or something....:blink:
That's like 80% me. Except I'm partial to brunettes, the AF or USMC was my thing and I stare at a wall instead of a computer screen.... :laugh:
Having job in the small arms/gear industry would totally be my thing too.

The grand irony is I've actually either dabbled in or met people in many fields I wanted to be in. Just never happened- I seem to have a knack for getting the exact oppposite of what I want.

Every timethere's a gorgeous day like today and the guys go over in their F-15s I think "man, those guys still have the best job".
Guess I should have done that, huh?

BoringGuy45
04-04-14, 01:38
I'm 28 and really nowhere I thought I'd be or hoped to be 10-11 years ago. My goal graduating high school was to get four years of college, join the Navy, get to the SEAL Teams, do a couple deployments, then either go to OCS or try for DEVGRU. After this, I would try to get on with either a federal LE agency or a large local agency, and hopefully do some more tactical stuff like HRT, SWAT, narcotics, etc.

Well, I guess I deserved the kick in the balls and the reality check that I'm below average at best. First, I couldn't get into the service because of medical issues, but they weren't automatically disqualifying for LE, so I figured I'd give that a try after college. So far, that hasn't worked out. Not for any lack of effort, I just tried and failed to get into law enforcement and, unfortunately, nobody wants to hire a guy who just keeps trying. They want a guy who tries and gets whatever he wants the first time every time. No one wants a guy who learns from mistakes; they want the guy who doesn't make them to begin with. And people don't want those who work in fields simply where they are very strong; they want people whose greatest weaknesses are still stronger than many others' greatest strengths.

I tried a job in social work and failed miserably. I tried being a substitute teacher and exploring education, but I just don't work well with kids I guess. I did so poorly at this job that, even though my wife and I want kids, I question my ability to be a father. So, here I am, 28 years old, college degree, and working as a retail clerk, no skills to speak of, and with not much hope of doing anything else with my life. I almost don't dare apply for anything more advanced, as with the work history I described, it's an insult and a slap in the face to waste someone's time when they could be interviewing more suitable candidates.

Leaveammoforme
04-04-14, 03:57
I'm 28 and really nowhere I thought I'd be or hoped to be 10-11 years ago. My goal graduating high school was to get four years of college, join the Navy, get to the SEAL Teams, do a couple deployments, then either go to OCS or try for DEVGRU. After this, I would try to get on with either a federal LE agency or a large local agency, and hopefully do some more tactical stuff like HRT, SWAT, narcotics, etc.

Well, I guess I deserved the kick in the balls and the reality check that I'm below average at best. First, I couldn't get into the service because of medical issues, but they weren't automatically disqualifying for LE, so I figured I'd give that a try after college. So far, that hasn't worked out. Not for any lack of effort, I just tried and failed to get into law enforcement and, unfortunately, nobody wants to hire a guy who just keeps trying. They want a guy who tries and gets whatever he wants the first time every time. No one wants a guy who learns from mistakes; they want the guy who doesn't make them to begin with. And people don't want those who work in fields simply where they are very strong; they want people whose greatest weaknesses are still stronger than many others' greatest strengths.

I tried a job in social work and failed miserably. I tried being a substitute teacher and exploring education, but I just don't work well with kids I guess. I did so poorly at this job that, even though my wife and I want kids, I question my ability to be a father. So, here I am, 28 years old, college degree, and working as a retail clerk, no skills to speak of, and with not much hope of doing anything else with my life. I almost don't dare apply for anything more advanced, as with the work history I described, it's an insult and a slap in the face to waste someone's time when they could be interviewing more suitable candidates.

Dang man... Take it easy on yourself. I too find myself elsewhere of the childhood dream. What we think we want for ourselves isn't always in the master plan. Have you tried any kind of competitive shooting? It scratches my itch & gets me doing what I love.

montanadave
04-04-14, 05:41

Jesus, this reads like a note some guy leaves in their car before they decide to shoot up the mall. Not to be a dick, but your head's in a bad place and is seriously in need of a reboot. Print out that comment and share it with a supportive friend or family member, pastor/priest, personal physician, or a professional mentor. Walking around with that kind of internal dialogue in your head is a recipe for disaster. Nip it in the bud!

Eurodriver
04-04-14, 06:14
Too much PII and no one reads these unless they're sob stories anyway.

Alex V
04-04-14, 06:18
I debated between being an architect, an artist, a pilot or a scientist. I ended up being an architect. If I had it to do over again I would have gone the pilot route.

My whole family were engineers back in the motherland... Dad has a PhD in Environmental engineering, Mom a masters in Mechanical, Grandma and grandfather were engineers as well, it was inevitable that I would end up somewhere along those lines.

Got accepted to PennState for Aerospace engineering, saw the math requirement and said F that! Stevens school of engineering wanted too much money, so did Rutgers. The New Jersey School if Architecture was reasonable and the math requirement was minimal lol. Had a chance to go to the USNA after my first year of college, but girls, beer, and drag racing got in the way, so now I'm an architect.

I got licensed before I was 30 and passed all 7 exams in 16 months, so I suppose I'm not that bad at it. I love it, but I'd rather be flying....

7.62WildBill
04-04-14, 06:25
I watched a lot of Jacques Cousteau growing up, and far back as I can remember wanted to be a marine biologist. I went to a university with a huge marine bio department, took animal biology the first semester and realized that I was not a scientist.
But that same first semester at school, I found a part time job working a fiberglass shop making consoles, coolers, and other small boat parts. After a couple years, I quit the university, took I one year boat building course, then landed my first job as a boat carpenter.
Twenty years later, I am still building boats, self employed, have a beautiful wife, and a 5 minute drive from my home (which I own) to work. I've had the chance to work on some incredible projects for some very wealthy customers. The economic downturn has been tough, but I'm still in business! There are easier ways to make a living, but none as satisfying to me. Not exactly what I had envisioned, but I'm around boats and the ocean, close enough!

Wake27
04-04-14, 07:04
I've got a couple more years to go, but I'm working on it.

C4IGrant
04-04-14, 07:58
Some of these posts are SUPER depressing! Guys, YOU have to establish a realistic, achievable goal and work towards it everyday.

When I was a Defense Contractor, my wife and I started a small (like $1200 budget) home based business. I worked my normal 10hr day job for the Govt and then worked till midnight every night on this business (7 days a week). Not one single person in either my or my wife's family had ever owned their own business so we had ZERO help in that area. We just worked at it and figured things out as we went. Now after 12yrs, G&R Tactical is a multi-million dollar operation.

Want to work in the firearms industry? Find a local gun shop that has some kind of gun smithing ability (so you can learn a trade) and apply for a job. They aren't hiring? No problem. Tell them that you will work for FREE on the weekends sweeping the floor.

For those interested in LE, go to the local academy (night school) and then go to one of your local SO's or PD's and be a reserve deputy or officer. They are screaming for reserve guys in most instances. This way you can work in the field and if you realize that you hate it, you can quit (and still have your day job). If you decide you like it, most times they will hire from the reserve side of the house before bringing someone else in.

Good luck and keep working towards your dream!

C4

Eurodriver
04-04-14, 09:28
Some of these posts are SUPER depressing! Guys, YOU have to establish a realistic, achievable goal and work towards it everyday.
C4

I don't even bother, but good on you for motivating people. Naysayers get me down. I've heard enough excuses.

"I wanted to join the military, but..."

"I was going to graduate, but...."

I can't stand those people. Don't live your live as someone you could have been, live your life as the person you are.

Koshinn
04-04-14, 09:29
I wanted to be an adventurer, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

BoringGuy45
04-04-14, 10:05
[B]Jesus, this reads like a note some guy leaves in their car before they decide to shoot up the mall.

Whoa! Absolutely not! I would NEVER hurt anybody on account of my own problems, and I don't believe in suicide either. I'm extremely frustrated and feel hopeless in my professional life, but in other aspects, I am very happy. I have a loving wife and a great family, I live in a nice area, and have a great church, as well as a good group of friends. There's a lot to keep me going that at least gives me a purpose for going to less-than-ideal job every day. I'm just disappointed in myself that I didn't do a few things differently and could be in a better place than I am now.

GTF425
04-04-14, 10:14
Whoa! Absolutely not! I would NEVER hurt anybody on account of my own problems, and I don't believe in suicide either. I'm extremely frustrated and feel hopeless in my professional life, but in other aspects, I am very happy. I have a loving wife and a great family, I live in a nice area, and have a great church, as well as a good group of friends. There's a lot to keep me going that at least gives me a purpose for going to less-than-ideal job every day. I'm just disappointed in myself that I didn't do a few things differently and could be in a better place than I am now.

Don't waste your time worrying about "woulda coulda" bullshit. Until we invent time travel, nothing's going to change.

I wanted to be a Ranger when I enlisted, but I'm too big of a pussy for that apparently. So, I drove on and live my life to the best of my ability every day.

Keep the faith. The only time you fail is when you stop trying.

Packman73
04-04-14, 10:17
Everyone has their own path and "the man who trusts his path doesn't need to prove the other way is wrong."

montanadave
04-04-14, 10:17

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were getting ready to go postal. Your post was just extremely negative about both your employment opportunities and, more importantly, yourself. I'm pleased to hear the other areas of your life are so positive. Now read Grant's post again.

sadmin
04-04-14, 10:48

Your life is still young; and your always at the precipice of something great. Don't let your current place in this temporary life define what you may become. Change can happen at any time, any place, under any circumstance. Even as a clerk you can impact someone's life with your own walk. I know that sounds cliche given the allotted time spent with a passing stranger but take heart in your own will and and abilities to change direction. What greater gift to this world than to positively effect the life of someone else. Your comment on your perception of children is askew. You cannot comprehend the love and grace you will have with your own children, never measure that complex love based on interactions with others children. I'm not what I imagined, I'm better, made through the process of a successful marriage, beautiful daughters, and my faith in Christ. That's me though; you have your own journey that's but a footstep away and nothing you have failed at determines your future unless it's criminal in nature. I will pray you find happiness in what is now. It was sobering to realize my life is small, beautiful but small. No wild adventures abroad, the thrill and trust formed through shared combat with a brother will never find me. I can only look after those dependent on me, being 50ft tall, being virtuous in the most opportune of times and in the most redundant of evenings. On a long enough time line, we all share the same equalizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phillygunguy
04-04-14, 11:25
When I was a little kid I wanted to be a Roman Centurion and Emperor, of course that was not going to happen , I later thought I was going to be a jack of all trades, From infantry man, scientist, to musician. When I got older Around age 13
I joined the Sea Cadets and was really interested in joining the Navy However I was also an only child with protective parents who said no. My dad had a friend whose son who was my age that when into the Marines, and I still regret not serving. Later I did learn to play guitar studied music in college and privately
but never made a career of it as it was too damn hard. Later and more recently in life I went back to school and became what I am now a Physician assistant, which is ok financially, but don't get any respect.

SteyrAUG
04-04-14, 12:09

You are too damn young to be waving the flag of defeat yet. Your experiences are hardly unique.

Life sticks it to a lot of people regularly. You just have to find where you fit in. It's no easy thing.

Crow Hunter
04-04-14, 12:57

:cool:

To the the original question. Where to begin.

Originally, I wanted to be an archaeologist on the moon. At 4, I firmly believed there were civilizations on the moon and I was going to discover them. Later on I wanted to just be an archaeologist due to my great interest in hunting for Native American artifacts. I kept this until I was in high school. Then I wanted to be a fighter pilot. I was waffling between F16 and F18 and I even went to tour the Air Force Academy in Boulder but I have an great uncle who wass fairly highly ranked in the Navy and he said I could get a shoe in for the Naval Academy so that I was what I was going to do. Then I had to get glasses in the 12th grade due to near sightedness. So that got shot down. Pun intended.

I was in the top 10 of my graduating class in high school and I had to give what I was going to do to the newspaper to be published. I had no idea since I had lost my shot at piloting and they said I couldn't say "I have no idea". So I was looking around in somewhat of a panic and I saw on the bulletin board something about engineers and scientists being needed.

So I said Engineering.

I got a full ride scholarship to a local college and when I got there, I told them archaeology but they didn't actually have a degree for that. They did have a pre-engineering field of study though and since that is what I put on my application, I wound up getting in that program.

2 years later they said that I had to tranfer to another college because they didn't have an engineering degree. So a buddy I had said he needed a roomie so I went with him when he transferred. 4 years later they told me that I had an engineering degree and couldn't come back. I didn't even bother going to graduation.

So, now I are an engineer and have been since 1997...

Even though math is my absolute worst subject that I ever had in school and I really have no passion for engineering other than the actual problem solving aspect of it.

But it pays the bills.

Looking back, I think I would have been much happier as a MD because I really like helping people and it plays more to my strengths than engineering does but right now I am saving as much money as possible and investing so that I can retire early and just do whatever the hell I want whenever I want to do it. Right now, I don't know really what that is, but I know it isn't engineering or engineering related.

At one time I thought about opening up a combination jewelry store/gun shop. I enjoy shooting and talking about guns and I have a long running interest precious stones/gold/jewelry making.

However, running your own business is probably more work that I want to do. :o

chuckman
04-04-14, 13:37
I wanted to be in the military. Check. I wanted a job that made a difference. Check. I wanted to do underwater archaeology a la Dirk Pitt. No go. My college has one of the best programs in this area, but I never did it. I like my job; I love my family.

I did go through a phase pre-glasses that I wanted to be a Naval aviator, and took flying lessons...which quickly led to me to realizing I needed glasses.

orionz06
04-04-14, 13:53
I wanted to go to Penn State to become a mechanical engineer since I was 12 and then within 5 years of graduation I wanted a corvette. Went to PSU, got the degree, and once I got out I realized that the corvette only looked cool and was junk for all the reasons I wanted a car and bought something else.

Ill bitch and moan til the end of days about my student loan debt because I didn't get shit from the government for college but it's still worth it.

karmapolice
04-04-14, 14:04
Yes, I always wanted to be in Law Enforcement and I've been in it since 2011. From far back as I could remember I always wanted to be some form of Law Enforcement with military in the runner up spot, I fulfilled my parent’s wishes and good advice and graduated college with a Bachelors of Science in Sociology. I was always told to go for something other than CJ, so I just went broader and took a lot of CJ classes. My wife also scoffs at me because she has a BS in Biology and gets mad that my major was a bs degree as well. I lucked out and after going to an initial college and two semesters as a transient student at other schools; I ended up at a really good state school with a really really good Sociology program and a good CJ program with actual experienced LE professors.
My senior year of 2010 I took a study abroad trip to The Hague in The Netherlands. I was trying to get an internship with the US Marshals Service but was told that basically I didn’t fall under the right demographic/socio economic background to get one. The trip was the best thing to happen because I got to visit places line Interpol, The International Criminal Court, make friends and contacts with some special agents from varying agencies one whom was an alumnus from my alma mater. It was a trip and opportunity of a lifetime and for all the roads I led, doors that opened, and the doors that closed I am thankful because it brought me to where I currently am.

To cut a long story short I worked for the Largest Agency in the State and got time and great experience and rather than going federal or out of state I ended up at a Sheriff’s Office where the Sheriff is someone I met while I was still in school. I love my job and the Sheriff’s Office I work for and am glad to be a Deputy and not a fed or municipality cop anymore. In fact one of my buddies who got an internship with ICE and hired straight on after graduation because he kicked ass will admit at times that he wishes he went local. I also got to marry my soul mate and have a wonderful little girl, I thank God every chance I can for giving me the opportunities I have had and the will to make them into something.

I try to look in the past with no regrets even at things at the time that really were upsetting or heartbreaking at the time because even the bad roads lead to good roads as long as your character and will survive and you have faith where it matters.

Hunter Rose
04-04-14, 14:06
I wanted to be Captain of a Star Destroyer. I'm still ready to go, just waiting on someone to build the damn thing...

On a more serious note, can't really complain since I'm a pilot, and apparently half the people on this thread want my job.

ShortytheFirefighter
04-04-14, 14:49
Did I end up where I thought I'd be? Not hardly. That being said, I'm happy to be where I am.

From the time I was 6 and saw "Top Gun", I knew I wanted to be a Tomcat pilot. I grew up studying airplanes, the military, military history, etc. When I was around 12, I decided that I still wanted the military, but I started looking at other things. I started looking at the SEALs, and decided that's what I wanted right up until my sophomore year of high school when I ended up (almost literally) running into the Marine recruiters coming out of the building. After talking with them for a few minutes, I decided to come up and give it a look. From then on, I knew the Marines was where I wanted to go.

Fast forward to September of 1999, I shipped out to MCRD San Diego, and I was getting the chance to go after my dream. That lasted around 4 weeks, and I ended up tearing the quads in my left leg and knee and dislocating my right shoulder a couple of days later. (If you're going to go, go big). That was the end of my career in the Marines. When I got out, I was devastated. I had no idea what to do with my life, I'd never considered anything else. I ended up moving to Seattle to live with my Dad and try to figure out what I was going to do. I ended up going to school as a commercial diver, doing underwater welding/inspections, etc. Interesting work, but after a year and a half I knew it wasn't what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I ended up working in the auto industry for around 6 years, during that time I met two of my best friends who were firefighters at a local department. They'd tell stories of where they were and what they'd been doing and I knew that I needed to at least try. I hated the auto industry after a few years, but I didn't have much in the way of marketable skills and was good at what I did. Also, it paid the bills.

I ended up getting a job with the FD in my city and this year marks the 10th year. 4 years after I became a firefighter I ended up taking a job with a company that makes fire hydrants and fire pumps. I spend my days either training firefighters and mechanics or working with them to help fix fire trucks and get to spend my nights riding in them. It's really the best of both worlds.

Looking back, I wish like hell I could have completed boot camp but life happens. I signed up to go Infantry, and would have been two years in when 9/11 happened. My parents are glad things turned out the way they did, I still wonder sometimes. That being said, while I'm not where I thought I would be I'm happy as hell for where I'm at and what I have. I do wish I'd have thought of the fire service growing up, but I'm glad I've found it now. Grant brings up some great points about working towards achievable goals and doing it daily.

Ed L.
04-04-14, 19:17
Regarding Boringguy45 Montanadave wrote:

Jesus, this reads like a note some guy leaves in their car before they decide to shoot up the mall. Not to be a dick, but your head's in a bad place and is seriously in need of a reboot. Print out that comment and share it with a supportive friend or family member, pastor/priest, personal physician, or a professional mentor. Walking around with that kind of internal dialogue in your head is a recipe for disaster. Nip it in the bud!

I think Boringguy45 is being more honest than most people out there in the world. Most people don't lead anything near the life they want or envisioned for themselves when they were young. Most of these people are invisible, don't talk about it, don't reflect upon it, or lack the self awareness to realize it.

As Henry David Thoreau wrote, “The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.”

I suspect that is just as true today as it was when he wrote it.

While many of us are planning our 3rd or 5th AR, there are many people out there who can barely scrub together enough money for a bottom of the line AR. If they try to wait until they save enough for a Colt, they will wind up having to use the money to fill some other shortfall that comes up.

It's the same way with other things in life for most people, be it as nice of a car, as big of a bank account, as attractive of a spouse, etc. Modern mass media provides us with an unrealistic picture of what life should be or could be. Even reading forums on the internet can lead to discontentment because you can't afford all of the cool things that some other posters have. Depending on how old one is, life has gotten more complicated and difficult than in our parents' days. It's best not to reflect upon it and proceed forwards.

HwyKnight
04-04-14, 19:25
Pilot=YES! Military/F-16/Thunderbird=no :(:(

SeriousStudent
04-04-14, 20:23
Yup, I have been what I wanted to be.

Now, I am what other people need me to be for them. Father, church member, boss, neighbor.

It's all good, and I'm happy with all of it.

Magic_Salad0892
04-04-14, 22:36

Got married?

Endur
04-04-14, 22:59
Don't waste your time worrying about "woulda coulda" bullshit. Until we invent time travel, nothing's going to change.

I wanted to be a Ranger when I enlisted, but I'm too big of a pussy for that apparently. So, I drove on and live my life to the best of my ability every day.

Keep the faith. The only time you fail is when you stop trying.

Tell me about it. I wanted a triple canopy but after BCT I realized I hated ruck marching with a passion and wasn't a ridiculously fast runner, not to mention my dumb*ss decided to get married and that ruined whatever plans of trying that were left.

Frailer
04-04-14, 23:35
Nope. Not even close.

But I wouldn't change a thing.

Outlander Systems
04-05-14, 00:08

Cowboy up, work a shovel, and dig some ditches.

I argue that a lot of men nowadays are allergic to sweat.

Most young folks think a four year degree is a ticket to a six-figure salary. If you're not having luck, and hate what you do, make your own job.

99.9% of it is attitude.

I could be a garbage man or a janitor, and I wouldn't think twice about it. While I may not get a statue in Washington D.C., by God, I'd be the baddest, scrubbingest, bag slingingest janitor/garbage man that ever lived; and in and of itself, that would be its own reward.

If I ever got sick of doing what I'm doing, I wouldn't think twice about picking up a shovel and digging a ditch. There's nothing like back breaking labor to appreciate some of the most simple shit there is in life. I have long argued that the pleasantness of beer is directly proportional to the amount of sweat you drop in a day.

Without pride in oneself, and a desire to be the best that you can be, you will always be tripping over your own feet.

The only thing holding you back is you.

Reach down, verify your testicles are still attached, and get out there and kick some ass.

You've got this; you just haven't realized that you've got this.

Pi3
04-05-14, 10:29
I got an architecture degree in the midst of a severe recession. I did a number of odd jobs, including digging a ditch while looking for a job in my field. It beats sitting around and any amount of income was better than none. Outlander is exactly right, although it might take a few years to learn a marketable skill & find a way to get paid for it.

GTF425
04-05-14, 10:56
Reach down, verify your testicles are still attached, and get out there and kick some ass.

Best advice in the thread so far.

Hmac
04-05-14, 11:08
Most young folks think a four year degree is a ticket to a six-figure salary.

OTOH, if a 6 figure salary is your goal, that's harder to achieve without that degree.

In my case, it took 13 years after high school and two degrees to get a real job where I was earning more than the garbage man. Not complaining..... I knew that going in. It was, and still is, the only path to the only job that I wanted.

Korgs130
04-05-14, 11:15
I’m am lucky enough to be what I always wanted to be as a kid, a pilot. Two major influences for me both happened when I was 6 years old. I saw the Blue Angles for the first time and the TV movie “Raid on Entebbe.” I have a poster I made in 1st grade and under “What I want to be when I grow up...” I wrote, “Pilot in the Navy or Commando in the Army.” I knew I wanted to fly or at least wear a military uniform.

By 4th grade I had narrowed my goal to fly jets in the Air Force or Navy and, starting in middle school, I really made that my focus. With no financial means for college or for flying lessons, I busted my butt in school, athletics and at part-time jobs, obsessed with earning an ROTC scholarship or an appointment to a service academy. One way or another I was determined to get myself into a either an Air Force or Navy cockpit. After a lot of hard work and with a little bit of luck (like being physically qualified to fly), I was able to achieve that goal. I flew C-130s in the Air Force for a little over 12 years. Way more fun than any one person should be allowed to have.

I’m finishing up my military career in the AF Reserves and while my history degree is next to useless, I was fortunate enough to parlay my military flight experience into a job flying for the airlines. I met my wife while flying in Iraq (she’s a retired C-130 pilot turned super mom) and now I'm enjoying the quite life, focused on being a good husband and father.

funkybassplayer
04-05-14, 11:39
I wanted to be either a ninja or a commando. I am now a deputy sheriff in the great state of Texas.

-BTO-

Outlander Systems
04-05-14, 11:47
I'm not poo-pooing a degree, but I run across this a lot; kids fresh outta school thinking the world owes them a kings ransom; meanwhile, while they are great with theory, they are less than stellar with producing actual results. Then they stamp their feet when adversity creeps up, and despite their inability to produce, their entitlement mentality still induces a belief that they are worth more than they are.

I see it A LOT with the 22-26 year old crowd. A lot.

You obviously invested some time into it. Would it be a safe bet to say that you were NOT raking in the cash immediately after obtaining your undergrad?

I have a degree in CIS that, as far as I'm concerned, ain't worth the paper it's printed on. A large percentage of the recent grads I've worked with, get butthurt that they aren't immediately slapped into a management position, and knocking on 100 large the minute their gown hits the closet.

ramairthree
04-05-14, 12:10
Well, I had the typical adolescent and young adult male cliché aspirations.

huey pilot
cobra pilot
jet fighter pilot
harrier pilot
ranger bn
seal
green beret
delta
force recon
dog handler
combat vet
race car driver
marine biologist
diver
zoologist
dinosaur expert
astronaut
secret agent
trauma surgeon
emergency physician
orthopedic surgeon
game warden
trial lawyer
undercover vice cop
private investigator
movie star martial artist
rock star
affluent

Some based on realistic desires, some based on fantasy/unrealistic portrayals on TV and in the movies. Of course the list those old enough can tell is influenced by shows like Magnum PI, Miami Vice, etc.

One of the hardest parts I think for guys once they are 20s/hitting 30 is the choices get narrowed down and become mutually exclusive.

I managed to knock out half a dozen,
and dabble in a few others-
I many not be a race car driver- but I sometimes hit the drag strip and am working on a road racing car, etc.

I also wanted to be a real good husband and dad.
I don't spend money out gambling, beat the family, or run around on the wife so I think I am good to go.

Outlander Systems
04-05-14, 12:27
I also wanted to be a real good husband and dad.
I don't spend money out gambling, beat the family, or run around on the wife so I think I am good to go.

That's success, right there.

yellowfin
04-05-14, 12:29
Not anywhere close to what I should be or want to be or theoretically could be capable. Like not even 20% of it. Some of it my fault, some of it the shit luck of being in the worst economy since the Carter years and maybe since the 30's, some of it a tradeoff for being with the wife I have versus someone else (and many other choices didn't want me anyway), but I guess I have to deal with today and tomorrow and make the most of it from here forward. Got a lot to be thankful for, lots of things accomplished, just at a personal low point lately due to a few things that hit in the last couple months.

I don't care about impressing anyone other than me (and the wife, of course I want to keep her happy), nor do I care necessarily about what other people have. I don't live in other people's lives or base my life off of TV or magazines or sports, that's pathetic to me that people do that instead of actually making things happen to where they're more interested in what's going on in their own reality.

Hmac
04-05-14, 12:31
You obviously invested some time into it. Would it be a safe bet to say that you were NOT raking in the cash immediately after obtaining your undergrad?

After my undergraduate degree, I still had 4 years of medical school to attend and pay for. After that, I had 5 years of residency. For that 5 years, I got paid a wage I could live on, but that was largely because working 120 hours a week I didn't have much to spend money on anyway. Immediately after finishing that residency, my income increased by about a factor of 5 and my workload dropped to about 80 hours a week.

Now, 30+ years later, I still have an extremely interesting job that I love, two great kids, and a wife of 30 years that I'm crazy about. I've never been rich, but I've never had to worry about money.

I've been lucky, I've been smart, and I've worked hard. I wouldn't change a thing.

Outlander Systems
04-05-14, 12:36
Not anywhere close to what I should be or want to be or theoretically could be capable. Like not even 20% of it. Some of it my fault, some of it the shit luck of being in the worst economy since the Carter years and maybe since the 30's, some of it a tradeoff for being with the wife I have versus someone else (and many other choices didn't want me anyway), but I guess I have to deal with today and tomorrow and make the most of it from here forward.

Yeah dude. Be happy for what you DO have, versus what you don't.

When death finally comes to collect his check, you won't be reminiscing over all the overtime you put in, and the cool bling shit you bought to impress folks you could care less about.

Attitude, man.

Go learn how to work with wood from the Amish. I admire the hell out of those folks. They have a success that we don't even have a means to measure, and a work ethic that makes me look like I'm a member of the FSA.

They are some rich folks, just not based on our standards.

After my undergraduate degree, I still had 4 years of medical school to attend and pay for. After that, I had 5 years of residency. For that 5 years, I got paid a wage I could live on, but that was largely because working 120 hours a week I didn't have much to spend money on anyway. Immediately after finishing that residency, my income increased by about a factor of 5 and my workload dropped to about 80 hours a week.

And that, Sir, is what I call, "Paying one's dues." If only half of the above is true, you're still worthy of my respect.

Anything worth having doesn't come easy.

Hmac
04-05-14, 12:57
And that, Sir, is what I call, "Paying one's dues." If half of the above is true, you're worthy of my respect.

Anything worth having doesn't come easy.

It's all true. It was then and is now a completely typical education trajectory for a surgical specialist. Only difference today vs then is that a resident's work week is artificially capped at 80 hours, and that most Surgery residents (80%) will do a 6th or 7th additional year of postgraduate Fellowship training.

Outlander Systems
04-05-14, 13:13
It's all true. It was then and is now a completely typical education trajectory for a surgical specialist. Only difference today vs then is that a resident's work week is artificially capped at 80 hours, and that most Surgery residents (80%) will do a 6th or 7th additional year of postgraduate Fellowship training.

^ This is what motivation looks like.

BoringGuy45
04-05-14, 15:43
I'm willing to do whatever I can to better my situation. I'm working toward putting my application in for a night police academy. There's just a couple questions I have that are giving me a moment of pause.

First, with the social work job I was let go from last year, I was working as a counselor at a facility for kids aged 7-13 with emotional and behavioral issues. It only took a bachelor's degree and very little experience to get the job, and I had done well with this demographic in some volunteer work I had done awhile back. When I started the job, I did okay with talking to kids who were having breakdowns and acting up, but I didn't do well in leading groups, often alone, for entire shifts and I struggled to keep them entertained and occupied. I went for help halfway through my three months there, told my supervisor that I felt that I needed some guidance in improving my weak points. She basically told me that she didn't give a flying shit, and if I couldn't figure it out by myself, I could find myself a new job. Long story short, I was terminated at the end of my 90 day probationary period, told (diplomatically) that, while they saw I put in full effort and worked my ass off, they didn't bother helping me because I was too incompetent to be worth the time of day and don't ever again bother applying for any job in social work, counseling, or education. I try to tell myself I got screwed over, but I don't want to blame anyone else for my shortcomings.

Now, the good news is that less than five days after this job ended, I was offered a full time position at a local gun store and I've worked there the past 8 months with a perfect record: All positive customer feedback, no tardy issues, no moral or integrity issues, and no major technical or clerical errors. If I applied as a part time officer somewhere, my boss would give me a sparkling reference.

My worry is that since it takes a thousand "attaboys" to cancel one "Oh shit", would I be viewed with contempt and seen as having a lot of brazen nerve to the point of being delusional if I applied for a police position with the counseling failure in my background? Am I wasting my time with an academy?

montanadave
04-05-14, 15:59
If what you describe even remotely resembles the reality of your situation at the counseling position, I can't fathom why you choose to accept the label of "****-up" from a supervisor who clearly wasn't worth a shit as either a counselor or a supervisor.

Counseling is tough and I've heard folks say that good counselors are born and then get the necessary degrees to qualify for a job. While there's more than a little truth to that, without the right mentoring and training it's a tough row to hoe. And working with troubled kids is even tougher. It's unfortunate that you had the experience you did, but don't throw in the towel because some asshole had a shitty day and ripped into you.

I have no idea whether you'll be successful as a cop or not, but don't let one negative experience sour you on taking the chance.

BoringGuy45
04-05-14, 17:22
If what you describe even remotely resembles the reality of your situation at the counseling position, I can't fathom why you choose to accept the label of "****-up" from a supervisor who clearly wasn't worth a shit as either a counselor or a supervisor.

Counseling is tough and I've heard folks say that good counselors are born and then get the necessary degrees to qualify for a job. While there's more than a little truth to that, without the right mentoring and training it's a tough row to hoe. And working with troubled kids is even tougher. It's unfortunate that you had the experience you did, but don't throw in the towel because some asshole had a shitty day and ripped into you.

I have no idea whether you'll be successful as a cop or not, but don't let one negative experience sour you on taking the chance.

My wife was the one who suggested I apply. She had worked at this facility 5 years ago and had been let go at her 90 day review under similar circumstances. She thought I'd be good for this job because I had the things that they said she lacked: The ability to drop the hammer on someone getting out of line, the ability to give someone a straight talk without escalating the situation, and the ability to think and act quickly when in physical danger. She has all the qualities that this place said that I lack, among them, the ability (and experience) to lead groups of children and organize activities with little to no preparation. The entire time I was there, I got more and more worried about my job because everything she had worried about when she worked there was happening to me: The lack of empathy by supervisors, being left alone with 7 or 8 kids when we were supposed to always be in groups of twos, always being forced to second guess ourselves and take the blame every time a kid a got himself into a restraining hold for not preventing the situation from getting to that point, a lot of unwritten procedures and rules that one got chewed out for not figuring out on their own, barely any feedback and when there was feedback, it was always negative. I went into this job knowing what happened to my wife, but thinking that I was prepared with this knowledge, but they still blindsided me.

The other issue I had with this place was what you mentioned: Training. The training was about 10 total hours of orientation where we were given the walkthrough on how to initiate restraining holds and the basics of how the place ran. Then we had two days of shadowing another counselor. Then we were on our own. I thought it was a little short, but the fact that there were people there who had been there for years and had done well told me that if I had any difficulties or had trouble grasping any concepts, that was my own fault. The two other people in my group picked it up right away and got full time positions while I was struggling. Both had psychology and education backgrounds though. I had been to a police academy a year prior in Mass (but there weren't any jobs available and my certification lapsed, which is why I took this job and why I need to go to police academy again here in PA). I figured if I could get through that (and I graduated with about a 95% average) this job would come naturally and would fill in the gaps left by the lack of training. I guess it didn't.

At any rate, as I said, I did well in the police academy before, so maybe it would be worth it to try again.

Ed L.
04-05-14, 21:33

I agree with Montanadave.

From what you described the facility was disfunctional and training nonexistant. There needs to be more initial training as well as ongoing training mentoring for new people. It sounds like the management did not give a crap about the staff or the clients. They got paid per client/kid by the government/insurance and whoever else, and the management jobs were safe. Therefore, they did not give a crap about the clients/kids or the staff. Management did not care how the kids did or how the staff did, or whether or not the staff knew what they were doing, were comfortable, or even if they stayed at the facility.

Dealing with troubled youth takes trained first-line counselors, backed up by supervisors who are willing to spend a lot of time supervising and working with the new counselors.

Mac5.56
04-05-14, 22:47
Best thing my parents ever did with me was sit me down and talk to me about how due to my eyesight I could never be a jet fighter pilot.

I learned a pretty valuable lesson at a very young age:

"Sometimes LIfe Sucks, and you can't change it, but make the best out of what you have."

IE I was never raised thinking "I can be whatever I want", because I literally couldn't.

So that said, I have travelled all over the world. I've met three ambassadors, I'm in museums on three continents, my name is in publication at least once somewhere on this planet every six months, I have a wonderful wife, my son is healthy and he smiles more then he cries. I'm not rich and I will never be rich, and I am sad for people that only care about being rich. I still believe in The Constitution and ALL of the Freedoms offered by the Bill of Rights (ALL OF THEM for those of you here that lean towards the Neo Fascist side of the Right Wing) and I am active and vocal about our rights whether it is with liberal artsy fartsy types or extreme religious fanatics about how Freedom doesn't mean "us Vs. them" but rather it actually means what it says: "freedom".

I am an advocate for Human Rights who also happens to be armed, and I have been honored by famous people for being such. I won't hold any punches and if you are anti Freedom I'll call you out on your bullshit, and even if you go cry yourself to sleep telling yourself that your bigoted opinions are some how righteous despite the fact that they deny others their freedom, I will sleep well knowing that you are on the wrong side of history.

So yea, I consider myself successful.

Leaveammoforme
04-05-14, 23:10
Best thing my parents ever did with me was sit me down and talk to me about how due to my eyesight I could never be a jet fighter pilot.

I learned a pretty valuable lesson at a very young age:

"Sometimes LIfe Sucks, and you can't change it, but make the best out of what you have."

IE I was never raised thinking "I can be whatever I want", because I literally couldn't.

So that said, I have travelled all over the world. I've met three ambassadors, I'm in museums on three continents, my name is in publication at least once somewhere on this planet every six months, I have a wonderful wife, my son is healthy and he smiles more then he cries. I'm not rich and I will never be rich, and I am sad for people that only care about being rich. I still believe in The Constitution and ALL of the Freedoms offered by the Bill of Rights (ALL OF THEM for those of you here that lean towards the Neo Fascist side of the Right Wing) and I am active and vocal about our rights whether it is with liberal artsy fartsy types or extreme religious fanatics about how Freedom doesn't mean "us Vs. them" but rather it actually means what it says: "freedom".

I am an advocate for Human Rights who also happens to be armed, and I have been honored by famous people for being such. I won't hold any punches and if you are anti Freedom I'll call you out on your bullshit, and even if you go cry yourself to sleep telling yourself that your bigoted opinions are some how righteous despite the fact that they deny others their freedom, I will sleep well knowing that you are on the wrong side of history.

So yea, I consider myself successful.

I haven't been inside museums on three continents much less been featured in a single one. Congrats on your accomplishments.

trio
04-05-14, 23:23
I always wanted to be a career army officer...my dad was a career Air Force officer, my grandfather was a marine for 37 years..it's all I ever wanted to do...so off to West Point I went and what I thought would be my ideal life...then the army mangled my lower left leg, ankle and foot so badly that they decided they no longer needed my serviced any longer and now, 20 years later, the VA is still trying to figure out how to put it back together

And I struggled with that...maybe sometimes still do...I've lost friends in combat in the intervening years...and there is guilt...the 10th anniversary of the best was just last week...we still miss you Jimmy...

But in the subsequent recuperation I started to date my wife, who I had been friends with for years. Our 16th wedding anniversary was 2 weeks ago

I have 3 fantastic children. Career wise, I never figured out what I wanted to do. I worked as a teacher. A profiler. A lawyer. Until my second son was born with special needs, and I walked away from a 6 figure job as an attorney to be a stay at home dad

Which is what I've done, primarily now, for 8 years.

And I realized.

The best thing the Army ever did was destroy my leg.

And what I really wanted to be when I grew up was happy. And even though the whole reason I'm awake right now to post this is because my 12 year old forgot to put the uniform he needs for his basketball tournament tomorrow in the dryer, and the sound of the washing machine ending woke up my 2 year old, and that doesn't make me thrilled...they are the best problems in the world to have.

Magic_Salad0892
04-06-14, 00:57
I was thinking about this thread today... and have this to say about my current position:

I may have missed a lot of cool opportunities. But I have a job that I don't mind with comfortable pay. I have few responsibilities. I have most of the tattoos that I want. I have some fun gun projects going. A fiance, brother, and a sister that I'd never give up, and things could be a whole lot worse.

I'm alright.

SteyrAUG
04-06-14, 01:50
I'm alright.

Honestly, that's the most realistic degree of success that most can hope for. I'm trying to work back to "I'm alright" myself but life is really taking it to me.

scooter22
04-06-14, 06:07
I'm a 26 year old medical student, who will soon be over $250k in debt.

I still don't know how I feel about that, but hopefully I will secure a (plastic) surgery residency...

J-Dub
04-06-14, 06:26

Have you ever considered, your doing something wrong in the oral boards? Like maybe giving people the answer you THINK they want to hear. I've been through 4 oral boards, I was hired by 3 of the 4 Depts. Sometimes its just a mind ****....don't think about it too much.....go with your gut. That's what you're going to have to do on the street anyway.

Eurodriver
04-06-14, 07:16
Nevermind, there are just too many debbie downers in this thread.

mattg1024
04-06-14, 07:28
I wanted to be a LEO/SEAL/Ranger, probably like every other kid at some point. Colorblindness killed that.

I was always taking things apart as a kid too so I guess ending up an auto tech was fate. Although now things have to go back together and work. I was told by everyone I knew in the business not to go this route, but I couldn't be happier, at least for now. Put myself through a 2 year tech school, bought a house at 20. (26 now) Doing a lot better then anyone I know (personally) at my age.

Really all I can ask for.

Hmac
04-06-14, 07:40

I still don't know how I feel about that, but hopefully I will secure a (plastic) surgery residency...

You'll be all right. That debt will rule your life for a decade or more but you'll be all right. You'll never be rich, but you'll never be poor. In the meantime, you'll have an interesting and rewarding job, and you'll be afforded privileges and opportunities that a less rigorous career path wouldn't get you.

HKGuns
04-06-14, 07:46
However bad you think you do or don't have it I guarantee you there is someone who has it worse. I consider myself extremely fortunate.

montanadave
04-06-14, 08:07
and things could be a whole lot worse.

I'm alright.

Shit yeah. It's not like somebody gave ya the crabs for Christmas.

Oh, wait . . .

:lol:

decodeddiesel
04-06-14, 11:22
Honestly, that's the most realistic degree of success that most can hope for. I'm trying to work back to "I'm alright" myself but life is really taking it to me.

I'm right there with you buddy. Going through some very rough waters myself.

Ed L.
04-06-14, 11:57
However bad you think you do or don't have it I guarantee you there is someone who has it worse. I consider myself extremely fortunate.

Yup. To paraphrase my late mother: "There are children in India who don't even have Mini-14s."

Magic_Salad0892
04-06-14, 18:14
Shit yeah. It's not like somebody gave ya the crabs for Christmas.

Oh, wait . . .

Hey! I got a cool story out of that, so I aint even mad. Lol.

Magic_Salad0892
04-06-14, 18:15

I hope things get better, man.

Mac5.56
04-06-14, 21:02
I haven't been inside museums on three continents much less been featured in a single one. Congrats on your accomplishments.

Thanks man, but I think all of us are pretty damn successful if we're on this page talking about it. The things you do well that are yours are probably things I have never done or may be absolutely horrible at.

Success is something I have been having a hard time wrapping my head around lately. I am happy with what I've accomplished but I work in an absolutely miserable working environment. and my wife and I are about to make a major career change that is also political. We are going to drop out of the NY world and we are going to go be small farmers and take over a family farm.

I refuse to pay a penny of taxes again to NY state, and the solution may be that I end up being a complete "failure" on the income front.

When conversations like this come up I am always reminded of my Irish grandmother's saying: "If you die with two good friends you're lucky." I take that with me everywhere I go. I figure, hell I am REALLY lucky because I have a little more then that at the moment.

Mac5.56
04-06-14, 21:04
And what I really wanted to be when I grew up was happy. And even though the whole reason I'm awake right now to post this is because my 12 year old forgot to put the uniform he needs for his basketball tournament tomorrow in the dryer, and the sound of the washing machine ending woke up my 2 year old, and that doesn't make me thrilled...they are the best problems in the world to have.

Cheers! You just summed up success in my eyes!

chuckman
04-07-14, 11:17
Success is something I have been having a hard time wrapping my head around lately. I am happy with what I've accomplished but I work in an absolutely miserable working environment.

I work in a hospital where the docs are considered "successful", yet they work 60-90 hours a week, do research, blah blah blah. I am a RN, so everyone knows I make squat....yet I am home every night, I work 40 hours a week (before call and OT), and have my weekends and holidays off. I am at home with my family. I will be done with my mortgage this year and have no other debt. I consider myself very successful. Do I make a lot of money? Nope. Do I get the best and biggest toys? Nope. But I love my family and I love spending time with them.

SteveS
04-09-14, 18:56
I wanted to be a rock star or a forklift mechanic. I have achieved neither.

Caduceus
04-09-14, 20:02
Yes and no. I read a lot as a kid, really liked MASH and my first aid classes. Did well in science, so doctor, right?

Well, I'm a doc, but my career path has been twisted. Still trying to get to the specialty I want, but the .mil keeps pushing me other directions. If I'd known 10 years ago what I do now, I'd have played the military card differently and actually be where I want to be, instead of 3-5 years behind schedule.

In fact, many days, I wish I'd got to nursing school or stayed a paramedic.

Crow Hunter
04-09-14, 20:36
I work in a hospital where the docs are considered "successful", yet they work 60-90 hours a week, do research, blah blah blah. I am a RN, so everyone knows I make squat....yet I am home every night, I work 40 hours a week (before call and OT), and have my weekends and holidays off. I am at home with my family. I will be done with my mortgage this year and have no other debt. I consider myself very successful. Do I make a lot of money? Nope. Do I get the best and biggest toys? Nope. But I love my family and I love spending time with them.

I agree with you completely.

I left a job where I was an engineering manager/program manager (at a very young age) and a rising star on the corporate ladder at the largest (at the time) privately owned Tier 1 automotive supplier in the world.

I took a significant pay cut, lost a very good pension, very high 401k match with opportunities for big bonuses and moved to a much less prestigious industry as a run of the mill design engineer.

But I only work from 7:00 to 4:00 Mon-Fri and I never get off hours phone calls, I never work weekends or holidays and I don't have to travel to Detroit all the time.

I have a MUCH happier home life. So I feel that I am much more successful than I was before.

I can actually play with the toys that I buy now. :)

JusticeM4
04-09-14, 22:07

RN's/BSN's can make good money depending on where you live and work. FL is a very low paying state, but places like NY/CA pay a whole lot more (although it is also expensive to live there).

I also work in the medical field and have many close friends that are nurses. You can make good money if you play your cards right and manage your finances wisely. Travel nursing has many perks including free accomodations and paid moving expenses etc if you can go that route. I knew a nurse who made close to $100k by working crazy hours 60hrs/week so you can make money if you work a lot.

I'm not a nurse (and get paid way less than that) but I managed to afford buying my own house and starting a small business last year.

SteveS
04-09-14, 22:14

I still don't know how I feel about that, but hopefully I will secure a (plastic) surgery residency...Two of my best friends are in medicine one is an eyeball surgeon and the other is in family practice. Unless Obama care Fs. up the field, work hard because if you have the ability it will be worth it.

Mac5.56
04-10-14, 20:30

I completely agree... :)

Mac5.56
04-10-14, 20:40
So check this out guys here's my families next step:

As I said earlier, and I know I sounded a bit boastful but I need to verbalize my accomplishments a lot to make up for the bad work environment I am in so that I remember what is important...

Anyway my wife and I are making a major leap so that we can become even more "successful", we're putting our beliefs, our love for our son, and our philosophy on life even more ahead of our future financial gain. We could stay where we are now and as some of you have said above we would have potentially great, lucrative financial futures and a decent 401k. But we work 7 days a week on average and I pull 60 hour weeks if I'm lucky, and we're really not making that much to write home about.

So we're done, we live in NY, we have NY (for obvious reasons), we're out. In one year we'll be taking over a small 20 acre farm with a business model that will make us self sufficient and sustainable and it is in a state where we won't wake up one day to a governor announcing that our 2nd Amendment is no longer protected. This society is spiraling too fast for us into a Neo Liberal Kleptocracy and we think the most valid thing we can do for our future and our son is for my wife to take the lead on some decisions and move back into the farming lifestyle that she grew up with. We will suffer financially at times, if not all the time, but we really think it is the right choice. I can make my art anywhere, I can continue to show it all over the world from anywhere I live. People pay me to go where they want me if they want me at an event so we don't need to be close to NYC.

It's a major leap but we're done with NY, it is killing a major part of our spirit and we decided that rather then "settle" and say "this is where we live", we are going to vote with our feat and move on out of this place.

Hmac
04-10-14, 21:57
RN's/BSN's can make good money depending on where you live and work. FL is a very low paying state, but places like NY/CA pay a whole lot more (although it is also expensive to live there).

I also work in the medical field and have many close friends that are nurses. You can make good money if you play your cards right and manage your finances wisely. Travel nursing has many perks including free accomodations and paid moving expenses etc if you can go that route. I knew a nurse who made close to $100k by working crazy hours 60hrs/week so you can make money if you work a lot.

I'm not a nurse (and get paid way less than that) but I managed to afford buying my own house and starting a small business last year.

Advanced Practice Nurses (CRNAs and NPs) are routinely in the 6 figure income range.

Koshinn
04-10-14, 22:58
I don't know if I told anyone this, but I'll tell all of you since you're all cool. Yes, even the people on my ignore list.

I think I joined the USAF because I watched a lot of Stargate SG-1 as a kid. No joke. And I know at least 3 other USAF Captains who joined because of SG-1 too.

I mean I was originally going to join the Army, but then I wanted to see the aliens so I chose AFROTC instead of Army.

I cannot confirm nor deny if I succeeded.

Hmac
04-11-14, 10:10

One's perception of success reflects their happiness with their lot in life and really is the only valid measure. Perception is reality. Certainly not income. In my case, optimal "gratification" entails so much and so many different things that it just requires a lot of hours in the day and days in the week. I love my family and vice-versa. Neither I, nor my wife, nor my kids feel short-changed by my work obligations and time or travel commitments. They love me and consider me a great spouse/parent. My measure of "success" for me is met on all fronts.

Pi3
04-11-14, 13:02
One's perception of success reflects their happiness with their lot in life and really is the only valid measure. Perception is reality. Certainly not income. In my case, optimal "gratification" entails so much and so many different things that it just requires a lot of hours in the day and days in the week. I love my family and vice-versa. Neither I, nor my wife, nor my kids feel short-changed by my work obligations and time or travel commitments. They love me and consider me a great spouse/parent. My measure of "success" for me is met on all fronts.

Grand kids are the icing on the cake.

Hmac
04-11-14, 14:56
Grand kids are the icing on the cake.

Got one, 5 months old. She's a doll. She spends Saturdays and Sundays with my wife and me to accommodate her parents' work schedules. The thing that's really interesting about that once-a-week visit is seeing the rapid changes that kids make at that age. When you're actually raising them day-in/day-out, you don't see the progression in the same way.

Pi3
04-11-14, 17:56
Congratulations. You are in for a treat. Ages 1 through 5 are my favorite.

chuckman
04-12-14, 12:46

I think you paraphrased my point....success is defined by the individual and what it means to him/her. Some people think a terminal degree or a department chair is what makes them successful; another might consider the manager position at Mickey D's a sign of success.

chuckman
04-12-14, 12:50
Advanced Practice Nurses (CRNAs and NPs) are routinely in the 6 figure income range.

Gas passers here are in the six-figures, but with Duke, UNC, and a bunch of others within 60 miles, you can't swing a dead cat for hitting a mid-level, which drives down salaries. Many of my colleagues went to NP school and took a pay cut. You gotta go where the love is. A good friend (PA) works at some doc-in-a-box in a rural county on the coast, done with work by 4 and fishing by 5, and does pretty well as there are only a dozen docs in the county.

chuckman
04-12-14, 12:54

I am in NC and I do alright. My wife does not work, we have 6 kids, and we'll be done with our mortgage this year. I make a shit-ton more than I did as a paramedic (which is the main reason I left the field), and I have a great schedule. The money is OK, and trust me that we (nurses) know how to make the system work for us.

NYH1
04-13-14, 03:39
When I was a kid I used to spend the summers at my aunt and uncles dairy farm.....and I wanted to be a farmer in the worse way! I loved everything about their way of life, so simple, yet so hard, but out of the city. I would have given anything to be like them. Nobody bothered you, you could pretty much anything you wanted. I loved it.

NYH1.

RWH24
04-13-14, 20:52
In High School I decided I wanted to be a LEO. Back in the early/mid 70's in the larger Texas cities I could not get a job. I wore glasses and my uncorrected eye sight was just beyond there qualifications. I step down in city size and I was not what they needed to meet Federal Discrimination Requirements. One more step down in city size and was asked, Where have you been the last year. I explained my shortcomings, tested Civil Service, physical agilities, medical and interview board before my meeting with the Chief. Hired, started the academy, finished and worked 29 years 9 months 20 days. I have been retired since Feb of 08. I look back at things I might have changed, but I lived the life I wanted to be, do what I wanted to do. Thank You for asking. :smile:

RWH24
04-13-14, 21:05
Reading every bodies responses makes me think about a guy I have known for years. He had a job where he did a service for people, mostly men. He started his family of all boys and he told me he thought his job was not manly enough for his sons to look up to him. He went to the night academy and became a reserve. He thought that was cool, he could play cop for his sons. He rode along and did transports. His regular job was 5 1/2 days a week so he did the minimum hours. Something happened and he left LEO. Went to work as a Fireman, EMT/Paramedic. He got scared in a burning building, no injuries, no burns and never was the same. He hold rank now, but every body knows. I guess when you put yourself some place you should have never been in the first place, things can happen. I am glad he is still alive. He has a sweet wife and 3 pretty good boys.
He should retire soon, but he will ride it out till the very end. Retired in place.

When I got scared on the job, I thought about it for a split second, got mad and ran, but not away! God watched out for me many many times.

weggy
04-13-14, 22:15
I'm exactly what I wanted to be, RETIRED!:lazy2:

montanadave
04-13-14, 22:22

Hell yeah!

RWH24
04-13-14, 23:10
Retired and Highly Recommended! :dance3:

Eurodriver
04-13-14, 23:15
I would have given anything to be like them. Nobody bothered you, you could pretty much anything you wanted. I loved it.

NYH1.

Isn't that the truth.

I'd give it all up right now to be on about 50 acres with some cattle, growing corn and cotton, but the capital $$$ required to get started is just insane. You pretty much have to be born on a farm to own a farm these days. By the time you make enough money to buy one, you're too old to do anything with it.

Don Robison
04-13-14, 23:40
Yep, 47 years old and mostly retired. I go to college for fun because I like learning. I was able to take two years off and just do what I wanted without a schedule. Spent most of it riding motorcycles and shooting guns(not at the same time).

Magic_Salad0892
04-14-14, 05:36
Yep, 47 years old and mostly retired. I go to college for fun because I like learning. I was able to take two years off and just do what I wanted without a schedule. Spent most of it riding motorcycles and shooting guns(not at the same time).

Fail.

ryr8828
04-14-14, 05:49

I can go along with that, although as a teen I had planned to retire by 40 and it took me until 56, plus I planned on retiring on a lot more money than just above subsistence level.

The_War_Wagon
04-14-14, 07:25
No. I wanted to be an astronaut. But it turned out well - and INTERESTING - anyways, so I have no complaints. :cool:

Abraham
04-14-14, 11:13
Been retired for 21 years and never have enough time in the day. I'm always busy with one project or another.

I LOVE IT!