PDA

View Full Version : LMT ?

lowprone
05-27-08, 22:04
I was just reading an article about Colt 6920 availability and someone the LMT
carbine, can someone enlighten me, who are they? quality construction? mil-spec? priced competitively?

Jay Cunningham
05-27-08, 22:06
They are almost the equal of Colt in features:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

some consider them superior to Colt.

RyanB
05-28-08, 00:04
Functionally equal to Colt, but not as carefully monitored for mistakes before they ship.

Seahorse
05-28-08, 10:03
!!!!!

markm
05-28-08, 10:36
I did see your pics of the LMT deal. Did you try mounting an upper on it?

It would seem to me that if you collapsed the stock all the way, the charging handle would hit the stock since the charging handle draws straight back directly over the buttstock. Thus, if the R.E. is canted up, you have the CH hitting the stock.

This would be a functional issue, and LMT would have to make it right.

Seahorse
05-28-08, 14:24
Demigod,

No Sir, I did not put an upper on it. It may have worked but I still would not have used it, it looked like crap and would not have followed the lines/contours of the ar upper.

markm
05-28-08, 14:37
Demigod,

No Sir, I did not put an upper on it. It may have worked but I still would not have used it, it looked like crap and would not have followed the lines/contours of the ar upper. But as I said above the new one does not look much better but I quess I'll have to live with it.

I wouldn't accept it either. If the new one is not straight, I'd send it back too.

Do you have another lower to do a side by side comparison to?

Seahorse
05-28-08, 14:44
I wouldn't accept it either. If the new one is not straight, I'd send it back too.

Do you have another lower to do a side by side comparison to?

I will have one to compare it to on Thursday, a friend of mine is bringing his Rock River in to work. I'll let you know. I had a Colt 6721 and a Dpms in 308 both of which I sold. The lowers on both of those rifles did not look that way. The first LMT lower was compared to a Stag and it was very obvious there was a problem.

jets4321
05-28-08, 17:42
I will have one to compare it to on Thursday, a friend of mine is bringing his Rock River in to work. I'll let you know. I had a Colt 6721 and a Dpms in 308 both of which I sold. The lowers on both of those rifles did not look that way. The first LMT lower was compared to a Stag and it was very obvious there was a problem.

Bummer send that back for sure! On a different note my LMT (upper) is excellent quality
and has those desirable features such as M4 feed ramps 4150 barrel steel yada yada yada..... you will not be disappointed.:cool:

Jets

jhs1969
05-28-08, 18:18
I was just reading an article about Colt 6920 availability and someone the LMT
carbine, can someone enlighten me, who are they? quality construction? mil-spec? priced competitively?

Lewis Machine and Tool.
Mil-spec. Yes. (at least for the Seals)
Quality. Yes.
Priced competitively? I ordered a complete upper and complete lower shipped to my FFL for $1056. A happy customer here:)

To the best of my knowledge LMT/Crane has done tons of work for/with the Navy Seals from Viet Nam to the present. If my history is incorrect please, someone correct me.

lmt-cazy
05-28-08, 19:29
here is my LMT

Shihan
05-28-08, 20:08
I have seen and handled more LMT products than most and have seen no problems.

rubiconjp
05-28-08, 20:18
Lewis Machine and Tool.
Mil-spec. Yes. (at least for the Seals)
Quality. Yes.
Priced competitively? I ordered a complete upper and complete lower shipped to my FFL for $1056. A happy customer here:)

To the best of my knowledge LMT/Crane has done tons of work for/with the Navy Seals from Viet Nam to the present. If my history is incorrect please, someone correct me.
That's interesting. I have briefly googled for LMT military contract and found only one - a $1.2 mil contract (quite small actually) for DoD but link was dead. Anyone has details on LMT's contracts with DoD?

Warrior
05-28-08, 21:42
LMT did the MK18 for the Navy.

I have had quite a few LMT's and never had an issue with any of them. Sorry for the bad luck that you got two lemons. LMT will make it right, send it back.

jhs1969
05-28-08, 21:45
That's interesting. I have briefly googled for LMT military contract and found only one - a $1.2 mil contract (quite small actually) for DoD but link was dead. Anyone has details on LMT's contracts with DoD?

Now I could also be getting my wires crossed, they say it's the first thing to go:)

I was hoping someone would chime in that is up to date on these connections. I will have to pull out my book 'Weapons of the Navy Seals'. Not the big glossy picture book. This one is by Kevin Dockery and is extremely in depth with the
Seals weapons. I thought I remembered several connections with Crane over the years and with Crane now somehow related to LMT. I know it sounds pretty thin:rolleyes: I'll have to try to dig it up and see if the memory really is the first to go.:D

rubiconjp
05-28-08, 22:52
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CQBR

"Upper and lower receivers: The lower receiver is a standard M4A1 lower receiver sometimes modified with the addition of a CQD RSM sling adapter plate. Internally, the CQBR also takes advantage of a larger gas port and modified bolt carrier and buffer assembly. The gas port has been opened to 0.070 in (0.18 mm). A number of Lewis Machine & Tool 10.5" (266.7 mm) upper receivers have also been reported to have been purchased for the CQBR program. These upper receivers feature a gas system optimized for short barrel use."

So a few Mk18 uppers, plus LMT rear sights, SOPMOD stocks probably account for that $1.2mil contract?

Elsewhere it is reported that Colt is now listed as "sole source" for the Mk18 (upper receivers?).