PDA

View Full Version : Howa action

calicojack
04-05-14, 11:09
So I have been trying to decide between a savage 112, 116, mod 10 or a howa 1500. So one of the local fun stores had a howa short action (I'm looking at the long action) in stock. So of course I just had to finger bang it a bit. It may be just me, but I found it to be very.... Clunky when you first turn the action. Once its disengaged it worked pretty smooth. But the initial turning of the action felt just like my Remington 770 (hunting gun).

So is that normal for the howa's?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

buckkiller35
04-06-14, 01:26
Mine lossened up after racking it about 50 times.

Polymerhead
04-07-14, 19:36
The Howa bolt has less mass than a Rem 700, so it's not going to be as smooth. You might consider adding a badger knob on one to get some more leverage for a smoother bolt throw. My FN PBR XP with its Winchester-type action is smoother than any of my Rem 700s, which are smoother than my Howa was. As you get down into the really light bolts like the Kimber 8400, hunting rifles, their actions feel very jerky because there's little momentum in the throw.

c3006
04-20-14, 19:58
Howa makes a great action but your aftermarket options will be better with savage or Remington.

Blanman
05-10-14, 09:53
In your position, I would go with the Howa every time over the Remington or Savage. Easy bolt release, the actions usually have pretty "true" dimensions out of the factory, integrated recoil lug and three position safety. What's not to like there? Obviously there are more aftermarket options for the Savage or Remington, but that doesn't mean that there are no aftermarket options for the Howa. You can get a chassis if you want one for it, or a more traditional style stock. The options are out there, you just have to look a little bit.

BrigandTwoFour
05-13-14, 23:14
You will, of course, hear that there are more aftermarket options for Remington and Savage. But that does not mean that the important things aren't available. For example, It's true that you won't have twenty different options for AICS magazine compatible bottom metal. But CDI makes one for Howa; and CDI is one of the very few recommended for Remington (the others being Seekins and Badger). Just about anything you might want to buy for a Howa/Weatherby is available.

Stocks/Chassis
- Manners
- Roedale - AI mag compatible
- XLR (rumored) - AI mag compatible
- Bell & Carlson

Bottom metal
CDI - AI mag compatible
Howa (uses their own plastic mags)

Scope Bases
EGW
Ken Farrell

You don't need to get a side bolt release installed, since it already has one. You don't need to get a one piece bolt from PTG since the Howa already has a one piece vented bolt. You don't need to get a M16 style extractor installed (yep...already has it). You don't really need a new trigger since the factory two-stage HACT is already pretty damn good (though Timney and Rifle Basix make triggers). A lot of 'smiths will do things like thread barrels or install larger bolt handles.

Honestly, the only real downside I've seen on Howas is that the barrel threads are metric and a lot of smiths don't want to deal with that. But the good ones have no problem with it. Short Action Customs has done well for themselves doing these mods. Roedale precision also sells a barrel nut kit to make the Howa more like a Savage with quicker barrel replacement. The options are out there, you just have to do the research.