PDA

View Full Version : Rem 700 Mil-Spec 5R Vs. Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range

jhferero
05-28-08, 08:22
Title says it all. Which of these rifles would be best for long range accuracy in a .308 caliber. Keep in mind both rifles would have work done to them of course.

ra2bach
05-28-08, 08:50
the variable here is the "work" done to either of them. depending, either of them could easily be significantly better than the stock other.

in fact, there are better places to get these types of opinions - for instance, in the "Precision Rifle" forum on this site.

hope that helps...

jhferero
05-28-08, 09:09
this is the precision rifle forum..

ra2bach
05-28-08, 09:42
this is the precision rifle forum..

it is now! :p

however if you look, you'll see it was moved from General Discussion.

hope you get something more helpful here...

jhferero
05-28-08, 09:50
Thank you sir...

Dave L.
05-28-08, 14:14
What is your idea of long range? Are you hoping to get 1moa accuracy or sub-moa accuracy?

jhferero
05-28-08, 15:19
Talking about shots at around 1,000+. Essentially down the line i would like to shoot half dollar at a Grand.

billybronco
05-28-08, 15:29
2" - 2.5" at a thousand yards ???

Ummmm...not possible with any rifle bud.

Even a precision, custom build is only going to be able to offer 6-8" groups at 1K.

Dave L.
05-28-08, 15:33
Talking about shots at around 1,000+. Essentially down the line i would like to shoot half dollar at a Grand.

...not going to happen.
10" groups are pretty damn good for the common man at a 1000 yards. Start there.

billybronco
05-28-08, 15:34
Keep in mind, that 6-8 inch group is under IDEAL conditions with little to no wind, light humidity, no mirage, match grade or handloads, LOTS of glass and no more than 3-5 rounds downrange. Any more than that and your odds of a flyer go up significantly.

jhferero
05-28-08, 17:22
Maybe half dollar was a little unreasonable. But, back to the question at hand. Which of the two rifles are better? Or, what would you guys prefer? Untouched though, out of the box. Stock.

jhferero
05-28-08, 23:03
No input? It's either or i am looking to purchase. Any kind of feedback would help.

Dave L.
05-29-08, 01:24
For my first precision rifle I did not go with an "out of the box" Remington because when I spend all that money I wanted it done right the first time and guaranteed accuracy.
I bought one from GA Precision. Waited about 45 days for it, but it was worth the wait and sometimes they are in stock- I believe they are guaranteed to .75" moa or better.
I have seen 700P's shoot just over 1/2" groups at 100 yards with as little as a re-crown, but I have also seen them not shoot much below 1".
Precision shooting is an expensive side to get into if you want to do it right.
I guess if you are just looking to buy a "sniper rifle" for the collection then just get which ever gun looks cooler to you.

Personally I'm betting the M700 5R is the cheaper one(lack of tacti-cool name), I would start there and as you learn to shoot it you can get accessories, accuracy enhancements (gunsmith work), and better optics as you go.
The only "out of the box" tactical bolt guns I would buy are AI,SAKO TRG/Tika T3 Tactical, and maybe the new FN. AI for sure...and there is a wait along with a huge price tag.

jhferero
05-29-08, 09:50
Thanks for the input. But, i'm confident you can get the same results from a stock rifle with work done on it over time for a lot cheaper price. Those rifles are very pricey. Being as im in the military and where i am stationed i can get rifle work done relatively cheap. Thanks again for the info. If you can, I would love to see a pic of your rifle.

Dave L.
05-29-08, 13:59
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=12110

I took it to a sniper school and beat the shit out it but it still shoots..just not as pretty anymore.

friedcheese
05-29-08, 23:55
My .02

The 5R out of box is better. I say this because I have one and .28 5 round groups happen on a good day with no coffee.
On coffee days I start to get a bit edgy and do .5 inch 5 round groups.

I papaer sighted @ 25M after the paint job on mine (putting the scope back on...) , turned the knob 'up' - and hit a 8" steel plate on the first round @ 500M.

I vote the 5R.

Nothing Needs to be done on the 'newer' 5r 's - Remington has put a decent X trigger on it. Mine is the old lawyer special trigger - stand on it and it might go bang. Mine has a paint job - that's it. Nothing needs to be done the the 5R except a paint job IMHO as I do not like stainless.

Read this.... then you tell us which you think is better.

http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/Rem_M700_StainlessSpecial5RMilspec.asp

The 5R Mils-spec rifle is under a grand... the XCR looks better out of the box but costs more MSRP $1300... closer to $1,100

~Cheese