PDA

View Full Version : LMT vs Noveske

mat10x
05-28-08, 11:40
new to ARs. looking hard at LMT (standard 16") or perhaps basic Noveske. don't really want to spend more than about $1200 if i can help it.

how is the quality of LMT vs Noveske? i have read some posts about purple receivers and recently a bent stock on here from LMT.

which is used more by the military? does LMT parkerize under the front sight? i found that LMT goes by TDP and Noveske does not.

i'm looking for a SHTF AR. would rather stay with an older brand that is tried and true.

considered colt...but so many mixed reviews, overpriced, overrated, different sized pins, civilian models not any better the LMT/Noveske, etc.

Rik
05-28-08, 11:45
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

C4IGrant
05-28-08, 12:29
LMT and Noveske are both fantastic quality. So it is really a win win situation.

C4

bullitt5172
05-28-08, 12:49
Like Grant said, pick the one you like the looks of better. They are both excellent performers. I have two Colts, one LMT and a Noveske on the way. I still like my Colts the best :cool:

Warrior
05-28-08, 13:10
LMT and Noveske are both fantastic quality. So it is really a win win situation.

C4

Absolutely, You can't go wrong with either of those as well as Colt. I have several of those three manufacturers I've been running Colt's and LMT's for years and are both GTG. Since I've been running Noveske's guns they have recently become my favorite rifles, I find myself grabbing one of my Noveskes more than my other rifles. This is just because I have all three and have a choice and the Noveske being newer and a bit different is probobly why, as my LMT's and Colt's feel and shoot very very similar. I use to always have a Colt slung up and a 1911 in my holster, Now I ussually have a Noveske Slung up and an HK45 in my holster. YMMV but welcome to Americas rifle and I'm sure you'll have a few more before to long. be safe;)

mat10x
05-28-08, 16:06
but why do you guys still prefer your Colts? psychological or functional? i read a guy say that he bought a Colt last year for $1250...this year they are $1400-$1500. is this just the name and availability you are paying for? i'm sure our boys in Iraq need them more than we do, so supply is down, price is up. i've also read that many people are down on Colt for dumbing down their civilian ARs.

i'm not looking to have a collection of various ARs. i'm looking for one, perhaps two as a back up, with spare parts. then onto a 308 (DS Arms FAL or perhaps M1 Socom).

for me these will be "tools"...not collectors items. i don't care about resale. so i dont see myself buying 8 different ARs of various manufacturers just to post pix of them on here. i may end up with various parts from various manufacturers as i decided what works for me and personal preferences.

anyone have issues with your LMTs and purple receivers? i read that LMT has the best bolt carrier groups next to Colt. is this fairly accurate? who makes the bolts for Noveske? and if you were going to stick to mainly one AR, would you buy one from a company such as Colt/LMT with a long military history?

rubiconjp
05-28-08, 16:41
I think Noveske is the only one of the 3 mentioned to have cold hammer forged barrel. So that may be a good deciding factor.

Iraqgunz
05-28-08, 17:02
but why do you guys still prefer your Colts? psychological or functional? i read a guy say that he bought a Colt last year for $1250...this year they are $1400-$1500. is this just the name and availability you are paying for? i'm sure our boys in Iraq need them more than we do, so supply is down, price is up. i've also read that many people are down on Colt for dumbing down their civilian ARs.

The M16 rifles used in Iraq (new production) are made by FN not Colt. Most of the weapons being shipped to LE and civilians are being produced by Colt Canada.

i'm not looking to have a collection of various ARs. i'm looking for one, perhaps two as a back up, with spare parts. then onto a 308 (DS Arms FAL or perhaps M1 Socom).

I have a SOCOM II and will be morphing it into a Troy MCS when I get home. Good rifle and I like the 762 option.

for me these will be "tools"...not collectors items. i don't care about resale. so i dont see myself buying 8 different ARs of various manufacturers just to post pix of them on here. i may end up with various parts from various manufacturers as i decided what works for me and personal preferences.

anyone have issues with your LMTs and purple receivers? i read that LMT has the best bolt carrier groups next to Colt. is this fairly accurate? who makes the bolts for Noveske? and if you were going to stick to mainly one AR, would you buy one from a company such as Colt/LMT with a long military history?

I have a Noveske (upper) gun and I like it. It is well put together and shoots great.

rubiconjp
05-28-08, 17:04
True that new M16 for US military are made by FN but... new M4 for US military are still made by Colt.

jets4321
05-28-08, 17:37
I love my LMT 14.5 (upper). But if I would have had the money I would have went for the Noveske. No the LMT is not parked under the front sight, but I really do not care. The quality of LMT is excellent and Noveske. Win Win

Iraqgunz
05-28-08, 17:44
Yes, I know that. My point was basically that the guns going to the military are not impacted by civilian sales.

True that new M16 for US military are made by FN but... new M4 for US military are still made by Colt.

jhs1969
05-28-08, 17:45
new to ARs. looking hard at LMT (standard 16") or perhaps basic Noveske. don't really want to spend more than about $1200 if i can help it.

how is the quality of LMT vs Noveske? i have read some posts about purple receivers and recently a bent stock on here from LMT.

which is used more by the military? does LMT parkerize under the front sight? i found that LMT goes by TDP and Noveske does not.

i'm looking for a SHTF AR. would rather stay with an older brand that is tried and true.

considered colt...but so many mixed reviews, overpriced, overrated, different sized pins, civilian models not any better the LMT/Noveske, etc.

Like Grant said, your in a win win situation, add the option of Colt and make it a win win win proposition. I've had several civy Colts, a couple of odd balls (PWA) and more Bushmasters than I have fingers to count. I had to 'fix' some of the common shortcomings on the Bushmaster I currently own. I also have a LMT M4 16" and it is far and away my favorite ever. If price is a concern, I ordered my LMT as a complete upper and a complete lower shipped in two separate boxes tapped together for just a tick over $1050.

Keep searching this site for these three brands and you should get good idea of the quality. Once you educate yourself then the fun of choosing optics, rails, etc begins.:D

austinN4
05-28-08, 17:58
In the $1,300 to $1,400 range, I would take a Noveske over a Colt.

gishooter
05-28-08, 18:12
Noveske runs mid length gas systems(mostly), LMT runs carbine. Mid length is more desireable, the bolt is not moving as fast due to less pressure.

rob_s
05-28-08, 18:15
but why do you guys still prefer your Colts? psychological or functional?
Functional. Read more and you can see why

i read a guy say that he bought a Colt last year for $1250...this year they are $1400-$1500.
Wait a couple of months and they'll be $1250 again. They go in cycles. Clyde was taking pre-orders at $1250 less than a month ago.

is this just the name and availability you are paying for?
No, some people just know more than you do. They are the only one that gets an "X" in all the boxes that really matter in the chart. This may not mean anything to you, but it does to some people

i'm sure our boys in Iraq need them more than we do, so supply is down, price is up.
One has nothing to do with the other. You may as well stop buying bottlecaps in American because the "boys in Iraq" need underwear. Makes about as much sense.

i've also read that many people are down on Colt for dumbing down their civilian ARs.
I'm curious to know where you get all this foolishness

i'm not looking to have a collection of various ARs. i'm looking for one, perhaps two as a back up, with spare parts.
All the more reason to get a Colt.

then onto a 308 (DS Arms FAL or perhaps M1 Socom).
Stick with the FAL

for me these will be "tools"...not collectors items.
How nice for you

i don't care about resale.
Even better for you

so i dont see myself buying 8 different ARs of various manufacturers just to post pix of them on here.
That's a shame. I know that the ONLY reason I have 6.5 ARs and a safe full of stripped lowers is so I can post pictures of them on the internet. Yeah.

i may end up with various parts from various manufacturers as i decided what works for me and personal preferences.
What a novel idea, I wish I had thought of that.

anyone have issues with your LMTs and purple receivers?
Why? Are you worried that it might look funny in the pictures?

i read that LMT has the best bolt carrier groups next to Colt. is this fairly accurate?
Fairly.

who makes the bolts for Noveske?
You can call or email him and he'll probably tell you. I know, but I am not allowed to tell you. He told me because he likes all the cool pictures I post on the internet.

and if you were going to stick to mainly one AR, would you buy one from a company such as Colt/LMT with a long military history?
What difference does military history make of you're not buying a collector's piece?

Look, if I were buying my first AR today but I somehow miraculously knew everything I know now but without ever owning one, I'd buy a Noveske N4 Recce Basic. Period. I'd get it with a MIAD grip and an Emod stock, I'd stick an Aimpoint C3 in a Larue mount on it and I would go take as many classes as I could afford. No rails, no bipods, no widgets. If one of the classes had a low-light portion I'd stick a short piece of rail on the handguards and attach a Surefire X300, and keep on trucking. I'd stoke it with Pmags and all the Wolf 62 grain ammo I could find and I'd shoot until I was broke.

Or, I'd buy a Colt 6920 and do the exact same thing.

I don't know anyone that's ever bought a Colt or a Noveske that's regretted it. I can't think of a single other AR maker that I can say that about.

And finally, here's a picture of two Colts. If you think that the only reason there's $10k sitting in this picture is so that I can post this picture and impress you, you need to have your head examined.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/Both-02.jpg

austinN4
05-28-08, 18:31
Noveske runs mid length gas systems(mostly),......
Depends doesn't it? The N4Light Carbines have carbine-length gas systems and the N4 Light Recces are mid-length.

Iraqgunz
05-28-08, 18:50
Rob,

Admit it, it's only for the internet pics and those that drink Hater-ade. :D

Wait a couple of months and they'll be $1250 again. They go in cycles. Clyde was taking pre-orders at $1250 less than a month ago.

No, some people just know more than you do. They are the only one that gets an "X" in all the boxes that really matter in the chart. This may not mean anything to you, but it does to some people

One has nothing to do with the other. You may as well stop buying bottlecaps in American because the "boys in Iraq" need underwear. Makes about as much sense.

Stick with the FAL

How nice for you

Even better for you

That's a shame. I know that the ONLY reason I have 6.5 ARs and a safe full of stripped lowers is so I can post pictures of them on the internet. Yeah.

Fairly.

You can call or email him and he'll probably tell you. I know, but I am not allowed to tell you. He told me because he likes all the cool pictures I post on the internet.

What difference does military history make of you're not buying a collector's piece?

Look, if I were buying my first AR today but I somehow miraculously knew everything I know now but without ever owning one, I'd buy a Noveske N4 Recce Basic. Period. I'd get it with a MIAD grip and an Emod stock, I'd stick an Aimpoint C3 in a Larue mount on it and I would go take as many classes as I could afford. No rails, no bipods, no widgets. If one of the classes had a low-light portion I'd stick a short piece of rail on the handguards and attach a Surefire X300, and keep on trucking. I'd stoke it with Pmags and all the Wolf 62 grain ammo I could find and I'd shoot until I was broke.

I don't know anyone that's ever bought a Colt or a Noveske that's regretted it. I can't think of a single other AR maker that I can say that about.

And finally, here's a picture of two Colts. If you think that the only reason there's $10k sitting in this picture is so that I can post this picture and impress you, you need to have your head examined.

bullitt5172
05-28-08, 18:55

I prefer my Colts because they work. I've fired everything out of my 6721 and 6920 - I've never had a single malfunction. My LMT has choked a few times and the magwell is a little tight. I have no problems running any top tier AR, my Colts just seem to work a little better.

gishooter
05-28-08, 19:15
Depends doesn't it? The N4Light Carbines have carbine-length gas systems and the N4 Light Recces are mid-length.

Look again I said (mostly)....meaning not always or some or at least that is what I meant.

lindertw
05-28-08, 19:50
I put together a Noveske build (N4 basic upper over Noveske lower w/CMT LPK, A2 grip, standard M4 buttstock, H buffer, LaRue BUIS, and Surefire 556 compensator) for under $1300 - a little over your $1200 limit. You could spread it out over a few months to help defray the cost a bit...

http://tinyurl.com/ywff97

This was a companion to my Colt 6920 and the more I shoot the Noveske, the more I like it. Is it bad that I've considered selling the Colt for another Noveske? :p I kid, I kid...

This is a great time to be an AR buyer; there are some great choices out there! For a hard use / built-to-order AR, don't forget to have a look at Defensive Edge SLR15 rifles (http://www.slr15.com/slr15rifles.html).

good luck with your decision...

geezerbutler
05-28-08, 20:45

Stick with the FAL

How nice for you

Even better for you

Fairly.

BRUTAL response, just brutal.:D :D :D

Take it easy on the guy....:p

I loved reading all of it. To the point and not too wordy. Keep on keeping on brother.

FWIW I'm a Colt and Bushmaster owner with Noveske in my sights.

For the price, especially with the LEO\Mil discount, you can't beat the quality/features/funtional accessory upgrades on the N4 with a stick.

GEEZER

Rik
05-28-08, 21:05

Mag foul! :D

lowprone
05-28-08, 21:55
Thanks guys, LMT, Lewis Machine and Tool, DUH!

austinN4
05-28-08, 21:55
Look again I said (mostly)....meaning not always or some or at least that is what I meant.
Yes, I saw the "mostly". I am just not sure that is correct.

mat10x
05-28-08, 22:17
rob, whats with the hostility and sarcasm? just asking some questions about various manufacturers.

allow me to reply to your attack...

i've seen the M4carbine AR chart and the "X"s in the boxes do mean something to me...thats why we're all here. they mean something. i certainly hope the "regulars" on this site DO know more than a novice to ARs like myself.

supply and demand. prices generally go up with limited availability of any given product, commodity or service.

the "foolishness" comes from reading these sites and all the various opinions. trying to sift through the info and make an educated buying decision by asking questions. must be nice to know it all like yourself.

yes "tools". i don't see your objection.

true, i don't care about resale. i'm not buying as a collector might. i'm trying to decide on one piece of hardware based on its features and merits, as there are a few very good choices.

i asked about the purpling because others have mentioned their experience with it. if there are finish problems...are there other issues to consider? if you were to buy a new car with a bad paint job, would you question what care and attention to detail the engine was built with? i certainly would.

not sure about your sarcasm on my bolt question. i was asking because Noveske doesn't make their lowers. as i understand it reading here, Stag used to, now LAR mfg in Utah does. whereas LMT makes everything inhouse.

now, military history. i'd say Kalashnikov has had a rather long and influential military history since beginning its service life in 1949. we all know Colts military history...and why they are still around. so u can see, military history of a manufacturer is important.

as far as the head exam rob, i didn't ask to see your Colts or how much you spent on them. you offered that up. if you enjoy taking well lite low angle glamour shots of your pretty ponies, that's your business.

however, i thank you for one of the few bits on useful info you provided.

"I don't know anyone that's ever bought a Colt or a Noveske that's regretted it".

that's the kind of insightful information i was looking for.

rob_s
05-29-08, 04:51
In your post that I quoted, your implication was that people that buy expensive guns do so simply so they can post pretty pictures of them. You also apparently think that people only buy Colts because they have a horse on the side. It's clear from your post above that you still think this way. It's unfortunate, but it's also obvious that nothing is going to change this attitude.

My suggestion to call or email Noveske wasn't sarcasm, it was honest advice. Why you'd come here, where we all just buy our guns to take pictures of them, to ask advice seems pretty misguided to me.

I think you completely misunderstand the reasons most of us post pictures of our guns. Most of us, on this site anyway, shoot on a pretty regular basis, attend training classes when we can, shoot competitively, etc. We test gear and make gear selections based on how it affects our performance in these areas and in the potential defensive use of the gun. If, for example, someone asks "how can I attach a light to my standard M4 handguards?" it's helpful to post a picture to explain the point along with the text.

And yes, some people post pictures completely out of vanity. But, when you've spent hundreds of hours and thousands of rounds (and dollars) finally tweaking your gun and figuring out what works for you, of course you're going to be proud of the end result and want to share it with people that will hopefully "get it". That doesn't mean that the guy doesn't shoot, or that the only reason he bought the gun was to post pictures of it on the internet. If someone else can learn something from your experience, so much the better.

gishooter
05-29-08, 15:32
Yes, I saw the "mostly". I am just not sure that is correct.

The majority of Noveske Rifles use a mid length or longer system. Hope that clears thing up. There, now you made me do it, see mine is bigger than yours.

austinN4
05-29-08, 15:56
The majority of Noveske Rifles use a mid length or longer system. Hope that clears thing up.
Majority of models offered, or majority of rifle sold? :D

gishooter
05-29-08, 18:05
I went to the Noveske website and looked at all the models they have, 556,6.8,7.62 and checked out the gas system on all models. (models offered) There was more mid length or longer than there was carbine or shorter. Not going to get the numbers but http://noveskerifleworks.com and you can see. I think it is like 4 or so more offer the middy or more. Besides you and I are getting off topic like the majority of this thread has.

jdp710
05-29-08, 18:18
I don't own a Colt but I do own an LMT and Noveske N4 light basic and my vote goes to the Noveske unless you're low on funds than I say LMT.

mat10x
05-29-08, 21:56
rob, as you have completely side tracked this tread, as i've seen you do on other thread, let's get a few things clear.

no, i said i "considered colt...but so many mixed reviews, overpriced, overrated, different sized pins, civilian models not any better the LMT/Noveske, etc". i was asking why people are so attached to their colts when the opinions seem to vary. as i understand it, colt outsources the manufacturing of most of their parts then assembles it, whereas an LMT makes everything inhouse. i am here to compare and contrast brands. i have nothing agaist colt or any brand for that matter. i believe there is more to a brand than just whether or not they have an X in box for a certain feature.

no, my statement was that i personally am not going to post pictures of whatever AR i purchase becuase i'm looking for a plain jane AR of TDP spec. i understand the reason people post pictures. however, i'm not looking for approval of my purchase, just consumer feedback before i decided on a manufacturer.

you're suggestion to call Noveske was layered in 3rd grade wit. the "I know, but I am not allowed to tell you" bit. very helpful.

you are the one who has clearly misunderstood my thread. i was looking for opinions to things i have heard/read about LMT, Noveske, and Colt.

before attacking someone perhaps you should ask for clarification on their statements, rather than making assumptions. if you have nothing of value to add to this tread other than sarcasm please move on.

Parabellum9x19mm
05-29-08, 22:04
. if you have nothing of value to add to this tread other than sarcasm please move on.

i think rob_s gave you some pretty good information in his response.

don't take it so personally, listen to the advice and move on.

buy a N4 and don't look back. i really like LMT, but i like Noveske even better.

mat10x
05-29-08, 22:08
jdp710...

what makes you lean toward the Noveske over the LMT? any issues with your LMT? do you notice a difference in the polygonal rifling of the Noveske vs LMT?

rob_s
05-30-08, 04:49
no, i said i "considered colt...but so many mixed reviews, overpriced, overrated, different sized pins, civilian models not any better the LMT/Noveske, etc". i was asking why people are so attached to their colts when the opinions seem to vary. as i understand it, colt outsources the manufacturing of most of their parts then assembles it, whereas an LMT makes everything inhouse. i am here to compare and contrast brands. i have nothing agaist colt or any brand for that matter. i believe there is more to a brand than just whether or not they have an X in box for a certain feature.
and yet you still refuse to get it. It's not about the "x" anymore that it's about the "pony", it's about what those marks/images mean. You keep talking about the TDP, but then you don't want the gun that comes the closest to meeting it? You put this strange value on things like "military history" and "made in house" instead of where it belongs; on overall quality and reliability.

no, my statement was that i personally am not going to post pictures of whatever AR i purchase becuase i'm looking for a plain jane AR of TDP spec. i understand the reason people post pictures. however, i'm not looking for approval of my purchase, just consumer feedback before i decided on a manufacturer.
See, there you go again. You STILL don't get it.

you're suggestion to call Noveske was layered in 3rd grade wit. the "I know, but I am not allowed to tell you" bit. very helpful.
It was simply a statement of fact. Unfortunately your overblown sensitivities won't allow you to see that. Did you call him yet?

you are the one who has clearly misunderstood my thread. i was looking for opinions to things i have heard/read about LMT, Noveske, and Colt.
No, I understand your thread perfectly. We're seeing a whole slew of threads just like them lately. You have foregone conclusions and are looking for validation, you have this misguided notion that your needs are somehow new and different and unlike anyone elses, and you fail to understand what a valuable tool the search function is if your goal is truly to learn.

before attacking someone perhaps you should ask for clarification on their statements, rather than making assumptions. if you have nothing of value to add to this tread other than sarcasm please move on.
The problem is, these "attacks" are based off of your little snide remarks that expose your true feelings and agenda. If you really want what you say you want you're going to have to get past that chip on your shoulder.

The bottom line here is that you really can't go wrong with Colt, LMT, or Noveske. Any one of the three will serve you extremely well for your purposes of... wait, what are your purposes again? "SHTF"? :confused: No matter, in terms of overall quality they are all on about the same level. Look at the chart (yes, you're going to have to knock that chip off your shoulder to see it, but look at it), understand what each of those features means, and pick the make/model that has the features you want. That's the purpose of the chart to begin with. If you don't care about taper pins and parkerizing under the FSB or an H-buffer coming with the gun, then go with the LMT. There isn't any magic fairy dust that anybody sprinkles on their guns that makes them better than anyone else's. It's all about quality parts and quality assembly. You know, the items in the chart.

Oh, and since you like pictures so much.
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/IMG_2601.jpg

Street Survival
05-30-08, 06:06
Normally, I would say Colt 100% but due to the fact that Noveske has a cold hammer forged barrel, I would give the Noveske the nod. Plus John is a pleasure doing business with.

rob_s
05-30-08, 06:14
For the price, especially with the LEO\Mil discount, you can't beat the quality/features/funtional accessory upgrades on the N4 with a stick.

That is an EXCELLENT point. For those that qualify the discount really pretty much ends any debate.

HostileTreesloth
05-30-08, 07:02
This is a very interesting thread. I am contemplating which one to buy and this is very informative. I think it is clear which way most people lean, and that is toward Noveske.

To further complicate this choice, however, what if this is the scenario:

You qualify for LE discount with Mr. Noveke, so the price is good. However, you can save an additional $100.00 on the LM&T. So, taking the two brands and configuring two rifles as comparable as possible, and you can get the LM&T for more than $100.00 less, does that sway the deal? For purposes of this question, the $100.00 does not make or break the deal, but saving $100.00 is saving $100.00 and it allows more money for ammo.

Or, do you still say, spend the extra $100.00, I'll be glad I did?

Sloth

rob_s
05-30-08, 07:34
Call John and ask him what the LE discount is on the model you're considering. I know he doesn't want it posted publicly, but you'll be happy you did.

BTW, love the screen name, haha.

rmecapn
05-30-08, 09:00
That is an EXCELLENT point. For those that qualify the discount really pretty much ends any debate.

It certainly did for me. I'm not a fan of carbine length gas systems, so I was looking for top end mid lengths. With the mil/LE discount, Noveske was hands down the best value for the dollar. Without it and only looking at mid lengths, then Sabre Defence and BCM both enter solidly into the picture.

BushmasterSOH
06-10-08, 01:41
I am in the same boat as HostileTreesloth.

More info/more choices = more confusion

I am going for a 10.5" duty weapon, can added later.

I too am trying to decide between the LMT and the Noveske. My other thought is going with the LMT lower and BCG with a Noveske barrel. It seems from what very very little I know and all the confusing information I get, that the Noveske is that most liked / quality barrel.

I look at it as if A1 quality/long lasting is only $100 more, then I'll spend it.

Street Survival
06-10-08, 06:02
In Connecticut we can't own Colt unless it was previously registered. (Ban State) If I had my druthers it would be a Colt 6920 or a Noveske.

I recently took the Colt, Law Enforcement, Armorers Course at the factory in West Hartford, CT All the inspections the Colt weapons must pass is unbelievable, very very impressive with that being said I own two of John Noveske uppers and they are beyond reproach.

Fraternally yours

Jimmy Ward

jeffs
10-09-11, 18:00
I grew up loving Colts, mainly due to the 1911, but I drifted away during the dark period in their history, and today I won't own a firearm assembled by union members, so I no longer own one.

Lotta good makers out there that will serve you well...

randolph
10-09-11, 18:07
I grew up loving Colts, mainly due to the 1911, but I drifted away during the dark period in their history, and today I won't own a firearm assembled by union members, so I no longer own one.

Lotta good makers out there that will serve you well...

3 year dead necro-post for your first... nice. :p

RIDE
10-09-11, 18:12
3 year dead necro-post for your first... nice. :p

Lol! It was a good read though. 3 years later and no change.. The mentioned companies STILL top notch! Kudo's to them!!!

TangoSauce
10-09-11, 22:18
A friend had some issues with LMT customer service in the past. They are very high quality though, their piston rifles are especially boss.

For full disclosure, I am indeed a Noveske whore.