PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who have used a P30s (sa/da) and HK45 (sa/da)

ECain18
04-06-14, 20:07
I need a little advice from those of you who have experience with both the hk45(ct preferably) and a p30S both sa/da. I'd like to apologize in advance for this thread, I am not normally a fan of these kinds of subjective threads, because everyone's experiences and opinions are different, but I can't find a p30S to actually try out. NO ONE around has one or gets them in stock, only special order ins unfortunately.

I recently purchased a P30 v1 (light lem) to replace my g19 that has some btf issues and bothers me. I love the pistol, but I actually shoot the glock better. The lem is smooth, but very long and long reset. I also have very large hands and have a problem with holding the slide release down so that it does not lock back. I know I haven't given it as much of a chance as I should (200 rnds), and I know I can fix any issues I am having with the short slide release and training, but I am wondering what experience anyone has with a p30S model in sa/da with the external safety. The reason I ask is because I also just purchased an HK45ct, and I shoot the gun so much better than the p30. I don't mind carrying condition 1 and will convert my hk45ct to a v9 (safety only, no decocker) because I am an avid 1911 shooter and shoot it very similar to a 1911. The question I have is with the trigger of the p30S. The HK45ct has a decent trigger, now its not a 1911 trigger, but it is sufficient for me and doesn't have a terribly long uptake or reset. I don't mind the creep to the wall feel of the trigger and decently clean break it offers. However, when reading about the p30 triggers (sa/da) people said they were pretty terrible. Also, when reading about the p30S triggers, they said it was even longer than the regular p30 trigger in order to accommodate the safety. So my question: is the p30S sa/da trigger remotely close to an hk45ct sa/da trigger? Or is it a completely different animal than the hk45 trigger? Or even if that is the case, is it something bruce grey could clean up to make it similar to an hk45 trigger? Thanks

Guinnessman
04-07-14, 08:07
ECain18,

From personal experience, I feel that you cannot learn and become proficient with the LEM trigger in just 200 rounds. With that being said you have two options:

1. Continue to shoot the P30 LEM and possibly seek instruction

2. Trade for a P30S

You could also make a call to Bruce Gray to see if one of his trigger packages may suit your needs.

I bought a P30 V1 from Grant in December and have been working diligently with a combination of dry fire and live fire. For me, the LEM has required lots of dry fire repetitions, and regular live fire practice in order to see progress. The trigger is way more difficult to learn when compared to the trigger of a Glock, but IMHO is worth the effort if you like the P30.

Brianb23
04-07-14, 09:21
At some point you had to start shooting glocks and 1911's and learn their triggers. Now after thousands of rounds you know just what to expect out of them. So if you want a gun who's trigger will best mimmic one of those two the p30 will not be the choice(da/sa, or LEM). It's no wonder you shoot glocks or even the hk45 better than the p30 cause they are closer to what you're used too. If you really like the p30 keep it and shoot just as many rounds throughout it as you have glocks then see how proficient you are with it.

gtmtnbiker98
04-07-14, 12:55
200-rounds isn't enough to even get the new smell off of it, let alone gain any type of proficiency.

Psalms144.1
04-07-14, 13:19
My experience is that it took me several weeks of DEDICATED (30-60 minutes per day) dry fire with live-fire interspersed to get proficient with the LEM trigger. I think it is a MUCH better choice, specifically in the P30, than the DA/SA. However, the P30's LEM reset is the longest of any of the LEM variants, for a variety of reasons owing to requirements from European users, as I understand it. Does that make the LEM a BAD trigger - heck no. I can "run" my LEM triggers just as fast as I can my G19s; my problem comes with the flippiness of the HKs making me either slow down or see big changes in accuracy results in rapid fire. In other words, once I learned the LEM, it wasn't the trigger that slowed me down, it was recoil management.

You sound like a guy who's looking for the best "fit" for your shooting style, instead of adapting your shooting style to your chosen platform. I get that, it's why I stick with Glock through all the troubles I've had with mine - I have just too much training invested in them to make a switch to a fundamentally different platform worth the trouble (though, you'd better believe I've tried!)

ECain18
04-07-14, 17:42
Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah, as I stated earlier, I know that I can work through any of the issues I have been having with the v1 LEM. I had allocated a number of weekends to go up to the cabin for some range time this summer and I have dry fired extensively with it. So I was really prepared to be dedicated to learning it because I like when all my pistols run on a similar platform (ie I can just pick up any glock and I don't have to relearn mechanics or the trigger). The problem arose when I bought the Hk45ct, which I actually bought with the intention of converting that to the v1 lem as well, so I wouldn't have to relearn triggers between the two. I read a lot of the mediocre to sub par triggers that they have, so I was just going to switch it to the light LEM anyways. Then I actually shot it and it is really not that bad. Its not a match 1911, I get that, but for carry it is more than sufficient. As such, what I'm getting at, is if the p30S trigger is similar to the hk45, I'd probably end up switching to it rather than taking a ton of time and rounds to learn. I just can't find one to try. Hell, they don't even have any regular old v3's for me to try sa/da. They are all v1's which is what I have. So its really how similar is the trigger on the p30S (external safety model) to the HK45CT.

^^^ I agree with you as well, the LEM is a very smooth trigger and I know I can get used to it. The flippiness of the gun is probably why I am pulling the slide lever down as well, which the short slide release lever would take care of. And yeah, I had every intention to learn it until I tried the hk45 and it fit perfectly to my style. If the p30S was the same as the hk45, I wouldn't have to take tons of time and ammo and relearn everything.

Dos Cylindros
04-07-14, 18:25
ECain18,

Hope that P30 is treating you well brother. Take some time with the LEM trigger as it takes just a bit of programing to adjust. The 45c I replaced the P30 with does have a much better overall LEM trigger. The reset on my HK45 and my HK45c are much better than the P30 and P2000 LEM trigger groups. But take a look at the times posted by TLG on his forum (google P30 Endurance test if you are not familiar with it), and you will realize that the LEM in the P30 can be shot blazingly fast. I do find my HK45 and HK45c to be more "flippy" when compared to the P30 as they have a slightly higher bore axis in my opinion. I don't get too hung up on the bore axis thing because for me it does not make all that much of a differnence.

In regards to the slide stop, try using the shorter slide stop from the P30s. I did this with the P30 you have now and it 100% fixed my issue with the slide failing to lock back. Now that I recall, I took the shorter slide stop out of the gun when I sent it to your FFL and it's laying in my parts box. Shoot me a PM with you info again and I will mail it out to you no charge (sorry for forgetting it.) Additionally, HK is set to release a short travel LEM trigger for the P30 sometime this year. It reportedly greatly reduces the trigger travel and reset of the P30. I would wait for that to be released and then buy the kit or send it to HK and have them set the gun up with the short travel LEM.

ECain18
04-07-14, 20:36
Ha its treating me well. Just snuck an HK45 into the mix too and I love it. Heck of a gun. That would be fantastic if you could send that out, I would really appreciate that. I guess I'll have to wait for the reduced travel LEM that sounds like just what I'm looking for as well. I'll have probably just wait and try that out when it arrives. Meanwhile ill suck it up and keep training haha.

montrala
04-09-14, 05:45
Additionally, HK is set to release a short travel LEM trigger for the P30 sometime this year. It reportedly greatly reduces the trigger travel and reset of the P30.

It only reduces overall travel, does not reduce reset.

Plumber237
04-09-14, 06:23
I have owned both a HK45C & a regular P30, and had a buddy that owned a P30S...from the experience of shooting all 3 of them, the S variant has the shittiest trigger by far. I actually like the H&K trigger as far as DA/SA triggers go, the only reason I got rid of the HK45C was that .45 ammo was too expensive for how much I was shooting at the time. The S seemed to have a much farther reset, I short stroked my buddies P30S all the time, and was quite a bit slower with the S than the regular P30. IMO I'd stay away from the S variant, I'm guessing that may be why nobody has any in stock because the word has spread on the trigger.

04-09-14, 08:19
I had a standard DA/SA with decock. A good gun but with a mediocre trigger. Not that it was unfit for use but my Beretta 92G with "D" spring was superior in that regard. The HK had a long heavy pull that was gritty at first but smoothed up to just long and heavy. Reset was long too. The bright spot was the SA pull was light after the long take up.

harm
04-09-14, 09:39
I have a regular P30 V3 - DA/SA. The trigger has a long take up and long reset. Its not awful. It could be better. It was about on par w the HK45.

I also felt I shot it better after the first 500rds & even better after a few weeks of dry fire practice combined w live fire at a 6/1 ratio.

Don't give up on it. Its a gun that just plain runs - even if it needs to be tweaked a bit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jyo
04-11-14, 04:28
I bought my HK P30S (DA/SA) 9mm a few years back---from what i'd read, you would think the triggers were terrible, awful, virtually unusable---my pistol had a very smooth DA from day one (it only got better) and the SA was great after a bit of take-up---it ain't a 1911 and it never will be---but really it's quite good and usable. I admit I have quite a bit of experience shooting and deal with many different pistol trigger systems and DA and SA revolvers...

ECain18
04-14-14, 17:18
thanks for all the input guys. I am still trying to locate a p30S to just try and see. Closest one I can find is over 2 hours away. Pretty positive that's not worth it from the sounds. We'll see though. Should have a short slide lever on the way so I'll get to check that out as I am currently hitting the slide release on mine.

Amur
04-16-14, 18:02
My understanding of the P30 vs HK45c trigger system.

P30 da/as has a better DA pull but a worse and longer reset SA pull than the HK45c

In LEM it follows the SA pull. HK45 is shorter. So you still migh want to try that HK45c LEM !

Swamprattler
04-16-14, 19:27
I have never understood the trigger issues with the HK's. I have two P30s, one in 9mm and one in 40, and an HK45c and a HK45. All of them with da/sa. Yes, the triggers could be significantly improved, and hopefully one day HK will do that. But I remember the early days of Sigs (I had the 226 and 220) and a lot of people could never get use to the da/sa triggers. Even if I factor into the equation the "false" reset, I still find that if you put enough rounds through them, you can get very effective with all of them. I also remember the days when people said Glocks had the worse triggers on any gun. Since I carry mine in condition one, I find the single action mode is fine. But, I also like the option of double action carry, with or without the safety.