PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Atlanta

alvincullumyork
04-06-14, 21:57
Hey everybody I'm moving down to your neck of the woods for work. I'm just looking for general info about the area or anything you might find helpful. I'll probably be living in either Peach Tree city or Fayetteville looking for a place with a garage and is pet friendly. I ride a dual sport bike and obviously like to shoot. I'm hoping to do some hog hunting.

I'm keeping my Oregon residency but would like to buy a rifle while I'm down there. Does Georgia allow out of staters to purchase long guns?

Sent from my clutch hand while riding a wheelie....

cwgibson
04-07-14, 07:37
If you live in fayetteville they have an indoor range, but Peachtree City is close so it's not a big deal. Newnan has an indoor range also so I would look there, and Newnan will be closer to the interstate if that is important to you. It's not a bad area overall just watch the cops in PC as they are especially vigilant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

alvincullumyork
04-09-14, 00:32
What else is there to do around the area for fun?

cwgibson
04-09-14, 18:03
Well Lake Horton is in Fayetteville if you like to fish. I've never been riding there but Culloden is about an hour away and has lots of ATV trails to ride. Atlanta has about anything you would want to do as far as city life goes. Peachtree City was actually a "planned" city and has golf cart paths throughout the entire city. You can get anywhere there on a golf cart, but be alert when school is getting out because it's like the Daytona 500. Good hunting just south of the area and you can usually find some decent price on land leases and hunting clubs.

cwgibson
04-09-14, 18:06
I would add that the range in fayetteville has local ipsc matches every Tuesday if you like that type of thing. The racetrack is close if you like nascar and of course the braves and falcons are there. We lost our NHL team, but they have a minor league team in Gwinnett that is actually pretty good.

alvincullumyork
04-10-14, 12:36
How hard is it to go hog hunting? Thanks for your replies!

Outlander Systems
04-10-14, 18:02
First off...welcome.

Get your hunting license ASAP. If you plan on Hunting the WMAs, you will be best served by getting the Sportsman's License. If you're hunting Private Land, you won't have to abide by the seasonal weapons restrictions.

If you have the option, go with Peachtree City or Newnan over Fayetteville.

If you want some good riding, check out http://www.highlandparkresort.com.

The rule of thumb for Georgia, the further South you go in the State, the more "country" it gets, which for me, translates into "the more fun" it gets.

One of the cool things about GA is the varied terrain. You've got everything from the mountains in N GA, to the coast in the SE Corner of the State.

If you like Hiking and backpacking, there's no shortage of it in the northern section.

If you plan on doing any hunting at the WMAs, hit me up via PM and I'll give you some advice.

South GA is damned near overrun with hogs. I've heard rumors that the piggies have, literally, gone hog wild at Fort Stewart.

If you're into fishing, hunting the WMAs is about to wind down, so it's pretty much fishing season now.

Atlanta itself has all the standard city crap. McDonough isn't far from P'Tree City, and there's no shortage of go-fast shit you can do at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

I'm on the OTP North, so typically shoot at Creekside, but this is a solid outdoor range: http://www.southrivergunclub.com

P.S. I hope you like BBQ...

cwgibson
04-10-14, 18:04
I actually haven't been hog hunting myself, but I know that they are plentiful. I am considering building a 300 black and try my hand at hog hunting. I would guess you would go to South Georgia and find more hogs. I do know a few people that go just across the Alabama line and get their fill on hogs.

cwgibson
04-10-14, 18:08
[QUOTE=Outlander Systems;1893682]First off...welcome.

If you have the option, go with Peachtree City or Newnan over Fayetteville.

I will second this and add Senoia to the list as it's a nice small town, but close to the others.

alvincullumyork
04-13-14, 11:51
I just rolled in last nigh and am staying at an extended stay hotel. With my price range it looks like I'll be staying in Fayetteville. Why are the other cites more desirable?

I love BBQ

Outlander Systems
04-13-14, 18:55
I just rolled in last nigh and am staying at an extended stay hotel. With my price range it looks like I'll be staying in Fayetteville. Why are the other cites more desirable?

I love BBQ

Less Crime. More friendly.

If you like BBQ, you're not far from O.B.'s BBQ which is good, as well as the original Shane's Rib Shack in Ola.

Outlander Systems
04-14-14, 12:45
ATL101:

"I live and work just outside this city so I can verify all this to be true.

ATLANTA, GEORGIA, USA

This is for anyone who lives in Atlanta, who has ever lived in Atlanta, has visited Atlanta, ever plans to visit Atlanta, knows anyone who lives in Atlanta, knows anyone who has ever visited Atlanta or anyone who has ever heard of Atlanta, Georgia.

Atlanta is composed mostly of one way streets. The only way to get out of downtown Atlanta is to turn around and start over when you reach Greenville, South Carolina.

All directions start with, "Go down Peachtree" and include the phrase,"When you see the Waffle

House." Except that in Cobb County, all directions begin with, "Go to the Big Chicken."

Peachtree Street has no beginning and no end and is not to be confused with Peachtree Circle, Peachtree Place, Peachtree Lane, Peachtree Road, Peachtree Parkway, Peachtree Run, Peachtree Trace, Peachtree Ave, Peachtree Commons, Peachtree Battle, Peachtree Corners, New Peachtree, Old Peachtree, West Peachtree, Peachtree-Dunwoody, or Peachtree Industrial Boulevard.

Atlantans only know their way to work and their way home. If you ask anyone for directions they will always send you down Peachtree.

Atlanta is the home of Coca-Cola. That's all we drink here, so don't ask for any other soft drink unless it's made by Coca-Cola. And even then it's still "Coke."

Gate One at Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport is 32 miles away from the Main Concourse, so wear sneakers and pack a lunch.

It's impossible to go around a block and wind up on the street you started on. The Chamber of Commerce calls it a "scenic drive" and has posted signs to that effect, so that out-of-towners don't feel lost...they're just on a "scenic drive."

The 8:00am rush hour is from 6:30 to 10:30am. The 5:00pm rush hour is from 3:00 to 7:30pm. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday afternoon, and lasts through 2:00am Saturday.

"Sir" and "Ma'am" are used by the person speaking to you if there's a remote possibility that you're at least 30 minutes older than they are.

A native can only pronounce Ponce De Leon Avenue, so do not attempt the Spanish pronunciation.

People will simply tilt their heads to the right and stare at you. (The Atlanta pronunciation is "pahnss duh LEE-on").

The falling of one rain drop causes all drivers to immediately forget all traffic rules; so will daylight saving time, a girl applying eye shadow in the next car, or a flat tire three lanes over.

If a single snowflake falls, the city is paralyzed for three days, and it's on all the channels as a news flash every 15 minutes for a month. All the grocery stores will be sold out of milk, bread, bottled water, toilet paper, and beer. If there is a remote chance of snow, and if it does snow, people will be on the corner selling "I survived the blizzard" tee-shirts, not to mention the fact that all schools will close at the slightest possible chance of snow.

If you are standing on a corner and a MARTA Bus stops, you're expected to get on and go somewhere.

Construction on Peachtree Street is a way of life and a permanent form of entertainment, especially when a water line is tapped and Atlanta's version of Old Faithful erupts.

Construction crews are not doing their jobs properly unless they close down all major streets during rush hour.

Atlantans are very proud of our racetrack, known as Road Atlanta. It winds throughout the city on the Interstates, hence its name.

Actually, I-285, the loop that encircles Atlanta and has a posted speed limit of 55mph (but you have to maintain 80 mph just to keep from getting run over), is known to truckers as "The Watermelon 500."

Georgia 400 is our equivalent of the Autobahn. You will rarely see a semi-truck on GA 400, because even the truck drivers are intimidated by the oversized SUV-wielding housewives racing home after a grueling day at the salon or the tennis match to meet their children at the school bus coming home from the college prep preschool.

The last thing you want to do is give another driver the finger, unless your car is armored, your trigger finger is itchy and your AK-47 has a full clip (SIC).

The pollen count is off the national scale for unhealthy, which starts at 120! . Atlanta is usually in the 2,000 to 4,000 range. All roads, vehicles, houses, etc. are yellow from March 28th to July 15th. If you have any allergies you will die.

But other than that, it's a great place to live!"

alvincullumyork
04-14-14, 17:54
Well good news is I got a brand new iPhone 5s for my work phone. Bad news is I will be at the office in Fayetteville for 3 to 4 months then up at a project at Plant Bowen and none of the apartments do month to month leases...

ATL101:

ATLANTA, GEORGIA, USA

This is for anyone who lives in Atlanta, w... Snip

Thats awesome!

Outlander Systems
04-14-14, 18:40
Well good news is I got a brand new iPhone 5s for my work phone. Bad news is I will be at the office in Fayetteville for 3 to 4 months then up at a project at Plant Bowen and none of the apartments do month to month leases...

Thats awesome!

Plant Bowen...that's up in God's Country.

Plant Bowen is right near Creekside, my personal favorite shooting range.

When you get up that way, acclimate yourself with a little place called Udder Delights. It's supposed to be an "Ice Cream Parlor", but it's really just down home greasy goodness.

Also, you are not officially a resident, until you eat breakfast at a Martins.

Martins is like fast food Cracker Barrel, but better and cheaper.

alvincullumyork
04-15-14, 21:01
Plant Bowen...that's up in God's Country.

Plant Bowen is right near Creekside, my personal favorite shooting range.

When you get up that way, acclimate yourself with a little place called Udder Delights. It's supposed to be an "Ice Cream Parlor", but it's really just down home greasy goodness.

Also, you are not officially a resident, until you eat breakfast at a Martins.

Martins is like fast food Cracker Barrel, but better and cheaper.

I don't think I'll ever be a true resident but I will try Martins. I finally found a place in PTC but its a lot more expensive than I would like. When I move up North would you like to meet up and go shooting?

alvincullumyork
04-20-14, 18:30
A copy and paste from the other forum I'm on.

Since I don't know anyone down here in GA I decided to go for a ride after church.

Since I've been gone I've started taking a picture of me and Molly every Sunday after church and sending it to my mom. One of the many reasons she loves me more than my brother, Ulysses.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/azazazy7.jpg

I wish Molly would ride with me but she doesn't even like being on a 4 wheeler much less a bike but I got her up while it was stationary.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/zugegeja.jpg

I tried my best to find some real dirt but the best I could do was a moderately rough dirt road.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/hymu3yqy.jpg

I've been told this is coke country maybe that's why this place went out of business.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/ejere2y5.jpg

I hope you all had a good Easter meal mine was okay but sitting outside in the sun was awesome. There was a Harley hangout down the block and I thought about going in with my XR650L shirt that the real big man gave me but decided just to get back riding.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/ta8adajy.jpg

Found some decent twisties on the tarmac but nothing to great. This was my second attempt at this picture after my bike tipped over due to poor angle and soft clay. I was going to take a picture with it laid over but the gas was coming out pretty fast. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/8evyhu8u.jpg

Georgia clay.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/ymebery5.jpg

It's safe to take a selfie while riding right?...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/yranu4yr.jpg

Ahhhh pretty...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/e5apujaj.jpg

Found an abandoned train bridge. It's the kind of place you would go to play even though your mom told you not to.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/e5ysyjar.jpg

Picture of a bridge from a bridge... I'm so artistic...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/zyhybura.jpg

Outlander Systems
04-21-14, 05:58
I don't think I'll ever be a true resident but I will try Martins. I finally found a place in PTC but its a lot more expensive than I would like. When I move up North would you like to meet up and go shooting?

Absolutely. Shoot me a PM when you get up this way, and will send some lead down range.

ETA: Where is that BBQ joint!? Holes in the wall like that are usually the best places.

alvincullumyork
04-21-14, 07:48
Absolutely. Shoot me a PM when you get up this way, and will send some lead down range.

ETA: Where is that BBQ joint!? Holes in the wall like that are usually the best places.

Awesome. My third or fourth pay check will probably be going to a colt 6920. Can out of staters buy rifles in GA?

It was in Warm Springs. It was so so.

MurtaughF3
04-30-14, 08:18
Just thought I'd say thanks to everyone for the replies, I'm also moving to the Atlanta area in about 3 weeks providing all goes well. I'll be moving to Covington, but working all over the Atlanta area.

mtdawg169
04-30-14, 08:57
Less Crime. More friendly.

If you like BBQ, you're not far from O.B.'s BBQ which is good, as well as the original Shane's Rib Shack in Ola.

As a Henry County guy, I have to interject here. OB's BBQ is average, they have great fried catfish though!

The original Shane's is actually near Kelleytown, near Union Grove HS on Hwy 155 & East Lake. It's great, try the Shaniac, at least once.

Best BBQ in Atlanta, Fox Brothers. It's killer.

mtdawg169
04-30-14, 08:58
ATL101:

ATLANTA, GEORGIA, USA

This is for anyone who lives in Atlanta, who has ever lived in Atlanta, has visited Atlanta, ever plans to visit Atlanta, knows anyone who lives in Atlanta, knows anyone who has ever visited Atlanta or anyone who has ever heard of Atlanta, Georgia.

Atlanta is composed mostly of one way streets. The only way to get out of downtown Atlanta is to turn around and start over when you reach Greenville, South Carolina.

All directions start with, "Go down Peachtree" and include the phrase,"When you see the Waffle

House." Except that in Cobb County, all directions begin with, "Go to the Big Chicken."

Peachtree Street has no beginning and no end and is not to be confused with Peachtree Circle, Peachtree Place, Peachtree Lane, Peachtree Road, Peachtree Parkway, Peachtree Run, Peachtree Trace, Peachtree Ave, Peachtree Commons, Peachtree Battle, Peachtree Corners, New Peachtree, Old Peachtree, West Peachtree, Peachtree-Dunwoody, or Peachtree Industrial Boulevard.

Atlantans only know their way to work and their way home. If you ask anyone for directions they will always send you down Peachtree.

Atlanta is the home of Coca-Cola. That's all we drink here, so don't ask for any other soft drink unless it's made by Coca-Cola. And even then it's still "Coke."

Gate One at Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport is 32 miles away from the Main Concourse, so wear sneakers and pack a lunch.

It's impossible to go around a block and wind up on the street you started on. The Chamber of Commerce calls it a "scenic drive" and has posted signs to that effect, so that out-of-towners don't feel lost...they're just on a "scenic drive."

The 8:00am rush hour is from 6:30 to 10:30am. The 5:00pm rush hour is from 3:00 to 7:30pm. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday afternoon, and lasts through 2:00am Saturday.

"Sir" and "Ma'am" are used by the person speaking to you if there's a remote possibility that you're at least 30 minutes older than they are.

A native can only pronounce Ponce De Leon Avenue, so do not attempt the Spanish pronunciation.

People will simply tilt their heads to the right and stare at you. (The Atlanta pronunciation is "pahnss duh LEE-on").

The falling of one rain drop causes all drivers to immediately forget all traffic rules; so will daylight saving time, a girl applying eye shadow in the next car, or a flat tire three lanes over.

If a single snowflake falls, the city is paralyzed for three days, and it's on all the channels as a news flash every 15 minutes for a month. All the grocery stores will be sold out of milk, bread, bottled water, toilet paper, and beer. If there is a remote chance of snow, and if it does snow, people will be on the corner selling "I survived the blizzard" tee-shirts, not to mention the fact that all schools will close at the slightest possible chance of snow.

If you are standing on a corner and a MARTA Bus stops, you're expected to get on and go somewhere.

Construction on Peachtree Street is a way of life and a permanent form of entertainment, especially when a water line is tapped and Atlanta's version of Old Faithful erupts.

Construction crews are not doing their jobs properly unless they close down all major streets during rush hour.

Atlantans are very proud of our racetrack, known as Road Atlanta. It winds throughout the city on the Interstates, hence its name.

Actually, I-285, the loop that encircles Atlanta and has a posted speed limit of 55mph (but you have to maintain 80 mph just to keep from getting run over), is known to truckers as "The Watermelon 500."

Georgia 400 is our equivalent of the Autobahn. You will rarely see a semi-truck on GA 400, because even the truck drivers are intimidated by the oversized SUV-wielding housewives racing home after a grueling day at the salon or the tennis match to meet their children at the school bus coming home from the college prep preschool.

The last thing you want to do is give another driver the finger, unless your car is armored, your trigger finger is itchy and your AK-47 has a full clip (SIC).

The pollen count is off the national scale for unhealthy, which starts at 120! . Atlanta is usually in the 2,000 to 4,000 range. All roads, vehicles, houses, etc. are yellow from March 28th to July 15th. If you have any allergies you will die.

But other than that, it's a great place to live!"

This is just awesome, and so true!

mtdawg169
04-30-14, 09:01
A copy and paste from the other forum I'm on.

Since I don't know anyone down here in GA I decided to go for a ride after church.

Since I've been gone I've started taking a picture of me and Molly every Sunday after church and sending it to my mom. One of the many reasons she loves me more than my brother, Ulysses.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/azazazy7.jpg

I wish Molly would ride with me but she doesn't even like being on a 4 wheeler much less a bike but I got her up while it was stationary.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/zugegeja.jpg

I tried my best to find some real dirt but the best I could do was a moderately rough dirt road.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/hymu3yqy.jpg

I've been told this is coke country maybe that's why this place went out of business.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/ejere2y5.jpg

I hope you all had a good Easter meal mine was okay but sitting outside in the sun was awesome. There was a Harley hangout down the block and I thought about going in with my XR650L shirt that the real big man gave me but decided just to get back riding.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/ta8adajy.jpg

Found some decent twisties on the tarmac but nothing to great. This was my second attempt at this picture after my bike tipped over due to poor angle and soft clay. I was going to take a picture with it laid over but the gas was coming out pretty fast. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/8evyhu8u.jpg

Georgia clay.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/ymebery5.jpg

It's safe to take a selfie while riding right?...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/yranu4yr.jpg

Ahhhh pretty...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/e5apujaj.jpg

Found an abandoned train bridge. It's the kind of place you would go to play even though your mom told you not to.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/e5ysyjar.jpg

Picture of a bridge from a bridge... I'm so artistic...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/zyhybura.jpg

If you like to ride, you need to head North of Dahlonega and take Hwy 60 across to Blue Ridge. Lots of twisty turns and plenty of dirt roads to explore through the Blue Ridge and Chattahoochee National Forests. Great trout fishing too. Welcome to GA!

alvincullumyork
05-02-14, 20:24
If you like to ride, you need to head North of Dahlonega and take Hwy 60 across to Blue Ridge. Lots of twisty turns and plenty of dirt roads to explore through the Blue Ridge and Chattahoochee National Forests. Great trout fishing too. Welcome to GA!

Man I need to check this thread more often. Thanks for the tips!

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.